Skip to content

[BG:EE]Dark Horizons Released

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    I haven't found any broken areas. The broken items can easily be fixed with NI. The problem with them being overpowered can easily be solved by not using the overpowered items or by you editing them yourself in NI.
    StummvonBordwehr
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Maybe you don't consider it broken but the areas aren't converted properly to .pvrz so the seams between tiles are visible and there are often FPS and crash issues.

If items are so badly made that you have to fix them yourself (and there are a LOT of stupid items included) then that says something about the mod to me.
    tl1942
    I have wondered about fixing the items and making them available here but don't know if that would be legal. I do know that the way they were made was quite careless. The weapon type is often wrong and they aren't useable by the correct classes. However that is VERY easily remedied. I could remedy those and I'm no modder!
    I went all the way up to Ulgoth's Beard just to recruit Thorin. He joined without error. But I did have to change his spawn global. You have to accept Hurgan's quest to go to Durlag's Tower for Thorin to appear.

But before that I kept having my ass handed to me from the elf encounter at the Baldur's Gate bridge and I'm a level 4 party. I'll have to dumb them down.

I don't know if the version that I have from EET is dumbed down, but it doesn't seem that difficult. Yes, I avoid them until I need to go to BG, but they just need decent tactics. You might have already dumbed down the version that is in EET.
  • HenaniganHenanigan Member Posts: 38
    I have wondered about fixing the items and making them available here but don't know if that would be legal. I do know that the way they were made was quite careless. The weapon type is often wrong and they aren't useable by the correct classes. However that is VERY easily remedied. I could remedy those and I'm no modder!

Hello,
    Without sharing actual files, would you consider sharing information on what to search for in NearInfinity, what values to change and (not least importantly) what would be good replacement values, in order to fix items in this mod / make them less overpowered? I'm new to modding BGEE and wouldn't know where to start, but this may be a good way to learn.
    Thanks!
    edited November 2019
    The major things that need changing are:
    1) Who can use the items. They are often unusable by the very people that they are designed for.
    2) What category the weapon is in. (Swords, flail etc.)
    3) If you want to make them less powerful you might just want to remove some of their extra abilities.
    e.g. There is a +3 short sword (CMSWQ08) which holds the victim if it doesn't save after it is wounded. The +3 might be better as +2. That is debatable. It might also be better if there was only a 50% chance of holding.
    These sort of things are not set in stone but the opinion of the player/modder. If you change such things, you also need to change the description otherwise there will be complaints.
    Making all +3 weapons into +2 weapons is a good idea, either that or making the item undropable.
    There are also +3 sorcerer's staves CMSTAF01 with 25% chance to petrify targets and +3 katanas (MA1SW02) that have a 10% chance of petrification. Not sure which mod that last one comes from as I think the items from this mod all start with CM.
    What you need to remember is that whatever you do, there will be those who disagree with your choices. To reduce the number of complaints you could give players a choice as to how to change items.
    Whilst the petrification makes an item very powerful, you need to remember that if a target is petrified, you lose the loot from the body, so it is not quite as good a weapon as it at first seems.
    If you reduce the power of the weapon remember that you are also reducing the ability of the foe who was wielding it. It is these interrelationships that make modding difficult. You will NEVER please everyone.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • HenaniganHenanigan Member Posts: 38
    Thanks for replying!
    I am in no hurry to actually release anything, so the only one complaining about my modding skills would be me. :) I've read here and elsewhere about issues with the mod, so I thought, why not try and fix them for myself? But there are many people out there who are more experienced than I am as to what would the best way to fix them. There are many things to consider. :) Thanks again!
    Wise_Grimwald
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    edited April 2020
    Apparently there are some issues with this mod and SCS. The AI component won’t install if I have installed Dark Horizons.

Would someone be able to fix that ?

Edit:
    Actually it was a single that corrupted it for me.I deleted the file from my override folder, and it work. The file name was:

CMSTQ04.ITM

Dont know what it did, but I will have to without it
    Post edited by StummvonBordwehr on
  • CeresCeres Member Posts: 6
    I'm trying just now this mod (with almost all the other mod supported by EET, and SCS, xTweak, Ascension), i want to see the story, play new area, etc.
    For now, i have meet Tristan and Isolde just now, hard battle for a 6 PC (all lv1 Dwarf F/C, Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Montaron e Xzar).

First round
    Spell "command" to Tristran and "sleep" to all, Khalid and Dwarf tanking melee Isolde;
    Isolde oneshot Xzar (SCS better IA, so good this mod)

Second round
    "sleep" work to Tristran, so two round in a row unconscious (first "command", second "sleep"), but fail with Isolde, and her almost kill my Dwarf, i step back with him and use a "healing potion"

Third round
    Isolde Kill Khalid
    I kill both

Now see the loot, and WTF, too powerful equipments!

1d8+3 +1d4
    THAC0 +2
    100% chance to hold opponent with failed save
    +2 attacks

and

1d4+3
    THAC0 +2
    5 attacks for round

Armour +1
    Shield +1

Nonono, unbalanced as hell, those item are for late SoA, not for Beregost.

My2c, balance the equipments man, it's not ok, i will continue to play the mod, but the only way for my to play this, is to edit with Near Infinity almost every equipment of your NPC before the battle.
    Ceres wrote: »
    I'm trying just now this mod (with almost all the other mod supported by EET, and SCS, xTweak, Ascension), i want to see the story, play new area, etc.
    For now, i have meet Tristan and Isolde just now, hard battle for a 6 PC (all lv1 Dwarf F/C, Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Montaron e Xzar).

First round
    Spell "command" to Tristran and "sleep" to all, Khalid and Dwarf tanking melee Isolde;

Second round
    "sleep" work to Tristran, so two round in a row unconscious (first "command", second "sleep"), but fail with Isolde, and her almost kill my Dwarf, i step back with him and use a "healing potion"

Third round
    Isolde Kill Khalid
    I kill both

1d8+3 +1d4
    THAC0 +2
    +2 attacks

and

1d4+3
    THAC0 +2
    5 attacks for round

Armour +1
    Shield +1

My2c, balance the equipments man, it's not ok, i will continue to play the mod, but the only way for my to play this, is to edit with Near Infinity almost every equipment of your NPC before the battle.
    Ceres wrote: »

First round

Second round

Third round
    Isolde Kill Khalid
    I kill both

1d8+3 +1d4
    THAC0 +2
    +2 attacks

and

1d4+3
    THAC0 +2
    5 attacks for round

Armour +1
    Shield +1

If you have editted those items, you could post them somewhere if that's allowed, then others wouldn't have to.

When I take on Trisan and Isolde I usually use web or command to disable them. Once that is done, it doesn't matter how powerful that short sword is.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @CoM_Solaufein
    Greetings! How EET compatible is this mod? Does the latest version include @StummvonBordwehr ‘s fix mentioned above? What about item rebalancing?

Thankee!
  • TeskalTeskal Member Posts: 10
    I can't find the mod. Could someone provide a link to the newest version?
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    edited July 2021
    - All in all its a mod worthwhile to install, I've been missing it sorely at my first go at EE when EE was new.
    - Currently I'm playing EE with Dark Horizons as well as SCS (and difficulty hardcore), which makes some of the earlier assassin encounters quite hard and requires very efficient tactical play, love it.
    - The loot is a bit overabundant though and makes other standard encounters to easy. Some of the loot is great though. Always having had a preference for fighter/mage/thief as a PC, playing without elven chain and changing armour several thousand times was a pain in the ass.
    - However, the escape from section was a bit to lengthy for my taste, since the encounters with section operatives a very repetitive, and you carry out cart loads of magical weapons and enough potions to fill a large swimming pool. Well, sold them all and bought an 800 charge Wand of Paralyzation for 600k :-D
    StummvonBordwehrmlneveseWise_Grimwald
    Teskal wrote: »
    I can't find the mod. Could someone provide a link to the newest version?

Download links

http://www.baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=4b77703e7084183a87adbf50b32ae820&topic=4828.0
  • UOLegacyUOLegacy Member Posts: 153
    Enemies are way overpowered against the levels you are at when you encounter them. The mines? My guy was like a level 2, and before I could hit pause to prepare he was gone.
    UOLegacy wrote: »
    Enemies are way overpowered against the levels you are at when you encounter them. The mines? My guy was like a level 2, and before I could hit pause to prepare he was gone.

The way I play I am way higher than level 2 when entering the mine so I don't have any problem with it. Once you have web many of the enemies become quite weak and once you get their weapons you become uber strong.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • Undead_Reaper86Undead_Reaper86 Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2021
    Does this mod have a portrait pack for the people you meet, and try to kill you? the assassin in candlekeep had no portrait. Tiny i know but was just wondering
    Post edited by Undead_Reaper86 on
    Does this mod have a portrait pack for the people you meet, and try to kill you? the assassin in candlekeep had no portrait. Tiny i know but was just wondering

I don't know about that, but a mod has now been made to nerf the overpowered items. :) I haven't yet used it, but it looks like what people have been asking for.

https://github.com/RoxanneSHS/DarkHorizonsTweaks
    Well that was about as exciting as watching paint dry. Believe I am ready to install it into BGEE and see how it goes.

My son's job is watching paint dry as he is a Chemist working on improving paints. Sometimes boring? Yes, but a vital part in the improvement of paints. A lot of science is boring. Imagine how Edison felt whilst he was developing the light bulb!
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    edited December 2021
    DHTweaks doesn't nerf anything at all, it just cuts some of the content and moves the duergars away so that they can be optional. It also delays one encounter which you can easily evade with some metagaming knowledge and return when you're better prepared against it.
    Some of those encounters that have been delayed aren't that difficult. Tristan and Isolde for example can easily be defeated with web or similar, or simply having your tank protected from hold.

I haven't got round to meeting them yet in the modded game so was unaware that they haven't been nerfed.
    A pity that as they do need nerfing. Of course the items aren't quite so out of place later in the game, but even so it's a shame.

Perhaps the original writer was unhappy with them being nerfed.
  • Djhurts101Djhurts101 Member Posts: 5
    hi all,

I played this mod about a year or two ago and I remember it being really good, however, I can't find an active download link for it anymore and the one posted here doesn't seem to work for me, any help is apricated

thank you, guys.
  • JohnBobJohnBob Member Posts: 128
    edited June 2022
    Hello @Djhurts101,

Here you should find the link for Dark Horizons.
  • Djhurts101Djhurts101 Member Posts: 5
    JohnBob wrote: »
    Hello @Djhurts101,

Here you should find the link for Dark Horizons.

that worked perfectly, thank you so much!
  • ahungryahungry Member Posts: 29
    First off, awesome work on getting this mod working with EE(T)!

I have similar feedback as some others - the OP items are fun, but, well, quite OP.

I enjoyed a lot of the encounters, however I seem unable to access Oversight HQ (I brought Nikita with me).

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/79095/oversight-hq-from-dark-horizons-missing

No one comes by with a password or access, and I don't see any access points/doors to get into the building noted as House 1 here: https://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ar0700.htm

I have a recent tweaks mod myself, as I'm dabbling into some modding - it caps +APR items to 1/2 APR in exchange for some minor thac0/damage bonuses - it really helps something like Doufas Sabre be a little more reasonable (although still as good as the best bg1 end game items by far).

Another POV for a fix is my "deletefier", in which I'll just banish a majority of items based on some percentage - that'd make it a rare drop (maybe only a 1% chance it'd drop).

Both these tweaks/mods I'm doing apply globally, and aren't specific to this mod.
    I pointed out the fix for the linked thread - I think it's specific to DH in an EET install (when DH is installed under the BG1 directory and incorporated as the base with the EET tool).

Btw, I love Morwen - I always invite her, steal her greenstone amulet (very strong with IRR) and send her packing :lol: - she does seem cool, but I didn't like a level 5 skald in my team of level 1s.
    I mentioned it in the more specific bug thread, but my tweaks pack has a fix for missing oversight hq: https://github.com/ahungry/ahungry_tweaks#fix-missing-oversight-hq-door-in-dark-horizons-on-eet now
    ahungry wrote: »
    I pointed out the fix for the linked thread - I think it's specific to DH in an EET install (when DH is installed under the BG1 directory and incorporated as the base with the EET tool).

Btw, I love Morwen - I always invite her, steal her greenstone amulet (very strong with IRR) and send her packing :lol: - she does seem cool, but I didn't like a level 5 skald in my team of level 1s.

Could you get her to join later or does she disappear like some other NPCs after Nashkel Mines?
    If that is the case get her to join, drop her and get her to rejoin later.

In my game I was able to get her to join at much the same level as the party by doing a lot of quests first.
  • MordekaieMordekaie Member Posts: 269
    The major things that need changing are:
    1) Who can use the items. They are often unusable by the very people that they are designed for.
    2) What category the weapon is in. (Swords, flail etc.)
    3) If you want to make them less powerful you might just want to remove some of their extra abilities.
    e.g. There is a +3 short sword (CMSWQ08) which holds the victim if it doesn't save after it is wounded. The +3 might be better as +2. That is debatable. It might also be better if there was only a 50% chance of holding.
    These sort of things are not set in stone but the opinion of the player/modder. If you change such things, you also need to change the description otherwise there will be complaints.
    Making all +3 weapons into +2 weapons is a good idea, either that or making the item undropable.
    There are also +3 sorcerer's staves CMSTAF01 with 25% chance to petrify targets and +3 katanas (MA1SW02) that have a 10% chance of petrification. Not sure which mod that last one comes from as I think the items from this mod all start with CM.
    What you need to remember is that whatever you do, there will be those who disagree with your choices. To reduce the number of complaints you could give players a choice as to how to change items.
    Whilst the petrification makes an item very powerful, you need to remember that if a target is petrified, you lose the loot from the body, so it is not quite as good a weapon as it at first seems.
    If you reduce the power of the weapon remember that you are also reducing the ability of the foe who was wielding it. It is these interrelationships that make modding difficult. You will NEVER please everyone.

Does anyone has made a Fix to correct the broken items ?