Skip to content

BG3: Yay or Nay?

ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
So BG3 has been confirmed. It takes place 100 yrs after BG2 and won't have you playing the same character but I'm still excited. The Bhaalspawn saga had it's perfect ending and adding more to that would be wrong. I'm actually glad it's a new story.
  1. BG3: Yay or Nay?164 votes
    1. Yay!
      85.37%
    2. Nay!
      14.63%

Comments

• ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    I know this is my own poll but is this even a question? I'll give anything that has Baldur's Gate in the name a chance. Even if it turns out bad it won't change that the original three games (and SOD as well to a lesser degree) were very good and some of my favorite games.
    DJKajuru
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @hybridial
    I respect your opinion and it's a very insightful viewpoint. I hope we can all agree to disagree peacefully.
    And we can all agree that the original series was a masterpiece.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    hybridial wrote: »
    I think the chances of this turning out to be something I want are pretty low at the moment, and I also don't really like the marketing strategy of where you try to hype things with everything but showing and detailing the actual game. And if this game is supposedly out within the next year, they should have stuff to show by now.

This is an argument which is being used too often. They'll show it when they feel they should.

ZaramMaldovarTakisMegasSkatan
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I am saying yay because I want a 5e cRPG.
    But my expectations surrounding the name have been lowered significantly with what I’ve heard so far.
    PokotaRohenMirandel
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    At the moment, I'm cautiously optimistic. I've been wanting a good 5E D&D game too, and returning to Baldur's Gate for it seems extremely fitting. That said, details are still pretty light at the moment, so I'll wait and see before giving my final verdict.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    I am really on the fence with this one. On one hand, I'm dying for more FR content.

On the other hand, if this is not executed right, I could easily see it it go the way of Star Wars, where people have said the new movies have ruined the franchise for them. (Note that I do not necessarily agree with that view or the logic of it, just trying to make a point.)
  • OSIKESOSIKES Member Posts: 2
    Same.
    Glad we live in a day where you can watch gameplay online.
    I will never buy it if the general gameplay is goofy. Its cool if you like that kind of thing but as much as a humanitarian that I am, ever since I was a tiny boy I wanted dark gothic satanism is my video games.
    And what do they make after Diablo 2? a joke game
    Give a super awesome series to a dev that makes jokes games? lets see. I know I wont preorder.
    I think the chances of this turning out to be something I want are pretty low at the moment, and I also don't really like the marketing strategy of where you try to hype things with everything but showing and detailing the actual game. And if this game is supposedly out within the next year, they should have stuff to show by now.

Rohen
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    [This is an argument which is being used too often. They'll show it when they feel they should.

Then announce it then, and not before. An argument that's used often is used often because it's probably right.

They announced because they started to take feedback from the community. They directly explained why they announced it early.
    jackjack
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Good Baldur's Gate game?? Who knows. Good game in general?? Almost certainly.
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    They announced because they started to take feedback from the community. They directly explained why they announced it early.

At this point I doubt any feedback is going to really involve any big changes because it's supposed to be coming out either when Stadia launches or soon after. And its going to be too late to take the sort of feedback this project needs like make it 2D Isometric, make it close to the D&D rule set, make the writing not suck and so on. At this point it wouldn't matter if the fans said they wanted those things, things like that will be set in stone, and probably be not what some of us want, meaning our input is in fact, not valued in the slightest.

Rohen
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Anything is better than endless speculation (except that of course we now have even more speculation based on scant evidence).
    I'm very happy that there is a new D&D game.
    I'll wait until it's actually released before I even think about making a decision as to whether or not to buy it.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    Pretty hard to judge a game you haven't seen yet. :)

I would always say Yay to a high production value RPG even if its not necessarily my cup of tea. I didn't finish Skyrim or DOS2 because they didn't grab me but I'm still glad they exist.
    SjerrieKamigoroshi
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yeah, but this ISN'T BG3. Its a spin-off. Its a deceptive title that exists only to drum up hype.
    megamike15Rohen
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    But so was BG2. It had nothing to do with the title. In fact BG3 has much greater claim to it than 2, since it at least takes place in Baldur's Gate.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited June 2019
    I'll give it a shot.

But if it turns out to be 3D first person, most likely I will not buy it. I just don't enjoy those types of games for long.
    Post edited by lroumen on
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Yeah I'm also in the "neither for now" box. The BG franchise is my all-time favorite video game franchise. I also love D&D and especially the Forgotten Realms. And I consider 5e to be the best D&D edition. So all in all, I desperately want a true D&D 5e cRPG.

But, Larian's history with its D:OS games does not inspire me, espeically the TB combat system. So I will have to wait until I see combat gameplay video before I can decide. If combat is anything like that of the D:OS games, I'll have to pass on the game (and be very pissed off for being forced to pass on it).
    scriver wrote: »
    But so was BG2. It had nothing to do with the title. In fact BG3 has much greater claim to it than 2, since it at least takes place in Baldur's Gate.

No. Baldur's Gate has ALWAYS been about Gorion's Ward. It continued the story started in BG1 and continued its themes. I cannot understand why people seem to talk like Baldur's Gate the city was the protoganist or something.
    kanisathaBalrog99Rohenjackjack
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    ThacoBell wrote: »

No. Baldur's Gate has ALWAYS been about Gorion's Ward. It continued the story started in BG1 and continued its themes. I cannot understand why people seem to talk like Baldur's Gate the city was the protoganist or something.

If it was called Return to Baldur’s Gate would that make you a yay?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    According to one of the articles the game won't be released in 2019 and might not be out till 2021.

Did you see how they valued the community's feedback during their Kickstarter campaigns?

Yea I would have been very surprised to see this out in 2019. Siege of Dragonspear for instance was announced in July and not out until the following March.
    JuliusBorisovjackjackjoluv
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077

Star Wars were always about Luke Skywalker. Then prequels happened. Then Star Wars were always about Skywalker family. Then sequels happened.
    As long as Laran delivers fantastic game, I'm okay with Baldur's Gate being more than Gorion's Ward story.
    SjerriedunbarSamuelVargjackjack
    edited June 2019

The first one was clearly about the city, otherwise they wouldn't have named it that.

The second one was a spin-off about the continuing adventures of the Protagonist of BG1. They only kept the name BG as a shameless cash-grab off of the first game's success.
    ArtonaGirewan
    Which is why Planescape was named after the system setting, Planescape, which includes many places (all of them in fact), and theme of the narrative, Torment.

No, but jokes aside, Baldur's Gate was named so because the game was to 99% based on the pnp supplement for Baldur's Gate (IIrc, "Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast). While it's true that the game is not about the city is any kind of "city/setting as the main character" kind of way as some pretentious critics insist is the case in examples of other art, the game is very much still about Baldur's Gate and surroundings. I, personally, find the idea that they can't name another game set in the city of Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate ridiculous. Hence my clumsy attempts at making light of it above.

(I still think this whole thing could have been avoided if Bioware would have had the good sense to not include Baldur's Gate in the title of a game that has absolutely nothing to do with Baldur's Gate, though :P )
    Pokota
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ThacoBellkanisathascriverRohen
    edited June 2019

The first one was clearly about the city, otherwise they wouldn't have named it that.

The second one was a spin-off about the continuing adventures of the Protagonist of BG1. They only kept the name BG as a shameless cash-grab off of the first game's success.

Oh yeah, that's why the game has you playing as the city. no wait, that's why the story is centered around life in Baldrus Gate, no wait, that's why the game mostly takes place within the city of, no wait. It doesn't, and the game isn't about the city. Its about the chracter you create and play as.

@deltago Well, considering that the poll specifically asks about a BG3, it would still be a nay. Since that game still wouldn't exist. That being said, changing the name would relieve at least 80% of the hate I have for the game.

@Artona "
    Star Wars were always about Luke Skywalker. Then prequels happened. Then Star Wars were always about Skywalker family. Then sequels happened."

Yeah, those went over SO WELL.
    megamike15BrokenkatanakanisathaRohen