Skip to content

Mod spotlight: Check the Bodies

inethineth Member Posts: 707
edited November 2022 in BGII:EE Mods
tBImq97.png
  • Mod authors: CBisson and King Diamond
  • First published: 2003
  • Adds content to: BG2 chapters 2 and 6 (in and around Athkatla).

Check the Bodies is a mega-mod from the early years of BG2 modding.

It suffers from the same problems as other mods of that category: Quantity over quality, a lack of polish and 'depth', and overpowered loot.

However, a lot of work clearly went into it, and it does add some interesting things. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but if you've run out of other BG2 content to explore and don't care much about game balance, maybe check it out...

It adds the following content:

kDyoZOA.png
jRVMBs8.png

Hlondeth is a whole new city with three districts, about a seven day's march east of Athkatla (first accessible in chapter 2). The content density is much lower than in Athkatla, though: In total there are two quests, one puzzle, a few shops/inns/temples, and one (oversized and repetitive) dungeon – the rest is homes of no-name townspeople.

What you can do, though, is go through all the houses and loot all their shelves and chests, which (ridiculously) contain plenty of +3 magical weapons and armor. Even some barrels on the side of the road have good magical equipment!
(Of all the mods that add overpowered loot, this is one of the worst offenders because you don't need to fight or even enter any hostile area to get it, you could just travel to Hlondeth right after Irenicus' Dungeon and stock up!)

The custom-made area art is impressive though, and the quests aren't half bad. I also liked the herbs (consumables with useful temporary effects) sold in one of the stores:
kswJyr6.jpg

To start:
  • Hlondeth is added to your world-map the first time you visit the City Gates district of Athkatla.
To start the quests in Hlondeth:
  • Close To Home:
    Talk to Valiant in his shop in Central Hlondeth.
  • Secession (a.k.a. Black Addar Stew):
    Talk to Rynn in Valiant's shop.

ahRu59T.png
AVoJ7OB.png

The Academy of Kuldin is a large dungon (first accessible in chapter 2), which reuses the area backgrounds of IWD1's "Severed Hand" tower – but doesn't do them justice. It suffers from:
  • Repetitive monster placement. (Basically just 2 monster types carelessly copy & pasted all over the place, though which two types you get depends on your level.)
  • Absence of dialog, a story, or a fleshed-out backstory.

All in all, the original Severed Hand was a much better dungeon.

Nonetheless, I found my run through the Academy of Kuldin memorable, because an undetectable trap did something... unexpected and scary to my party, and instead of reloading I just went with it, and that ended up being a challenging new experience.

Another neat thing is that you can find IWD2 spell scrolls:
HVOBXb0.jpg
Other loot includes lots of normal BG2 spell scrolls (including high-level ones), and +3 equipment.

To start:
  • "Academy of Kuldin" is added to your world-map (south of the Snowflake Mountains) the first time you visit the City Gates district of Athkatla.

P9mCBdJ.png
do7IjQn.png

The Ancient Library is a secret and heavily-guarded underground library (first accessible in chapter 2), using area art from IWD2. If you enjoy fighting against many spellcasters in narrow corridors, this is for you!

The many, many books which can be looted from the shelves include lore books from the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games, humorous fan creations like "Fifty Ways To Kill Your Kangaxx", as well as tomes which give permanent or temporary bonuses. I liked the large variety of book icons used:
LZaRltX.jpg

Speaking of overpowered loot, the Drow equipment you pick up here doesn't disintegrate when you bring it back up to the surface of chapter 2.

To start:
  • Find the secret tunnel which leads from the surface of Amn to the underground library.
    Don't be afraid to get wet!
    Dive into the pool of water in the cave in Umar Hills; you'll land in a cave which connects to the library.

Qda11HO.png

This is billed as the "class super quests" in the mod's README, and is first accessible in chapter 6. There are different versions of the quest for different classes. You can only do one version, and you need a party member of the class in question (single-, dual- or multi-class) – but it doesn't have to be CHARNAME. (Note that the party member in question will get permanent bonuses as a reward.)

I did the Mage version, and found it pretty uninspired: Deliver this message, kill this generic baddie, forge this item, the end. It reused an area from BG1's "Durlag's Tower", and left some of the original content in there, which was weird. Also, the boss fight was bugged.

To start the quest:
  • Mage version:
    Talk to the three female Elven Mages near the bottom-left tent in the Underdark Exit outdoors area, using a Mage party-member.
  • Druid version:
    Travel to the "Druidic Circle" (a new area which appears on the world map north of Athkatla at the start of chapter 6), and talk to the Archdruid there using a Druid party-member.
  • Ranger version:
    Travel to the "Hunting Lodge" (a new area which appears on the world map near the Forest of Tethyr at the start of chapter 6), and talk to Crowley there using a Ranger party-member.
  • Barbarian version:
    Ask Captain Deudermont in the Docks district of Athkatla to take you to Rauthym Island, and talk to the leader there using a Barbarian party member.
  • Bard version:
    ??? (apparently starts in the Playhouse)

dZpZKQ8.png

Besides the above, Check the Bodies adds about twenty additional side-quests in and around Athkatla (most of them are accessible in chapter 2; some only in later chapters). They range from short encounters to quests that lead you to new areas. The quality also varies: Some are fun, others feel unfinished or just annoying.

To start the quests:
  • Chapter 2+:
    • Holly The Elf (a.k.a. Diuretic Elf) [multi item search quest]:
      Talk to Holly inside the Temple of Helm in the Temple district of Athkatla.
    • Feed The Birds [random encounter]:
      A grandmother and granddaughter approach you while you travel between districts of Athkatla.
    • Helping Melynda the Mute (a.k.a. Cowled Wizards Need Help) [quest]:
      Find a way to communicate with Melynda in the kitchen of the Copper Coronet in the Slums district of Athkatla (good path), or talk to the two Cowled Wizards standing outdoors in the Government district of Athkatla (evil path).
    • Got Ice [fetch quest]:
      Talk to Calbor inside Delosar's Inn in the Bridge district of Athkatla.
    • Assassination Attempt I & II [encounters]:
      Follow-up to "Got Ice", apparently (they didn't trigger for me).
    • The Maltese Artifact (a.k.a. Of Elves and Artifacts) [quest]:
      An elf woman approaches you in the Bridge district of Athkatla, and slips you a statuette.
      (Requires: At least one bard, sorcerer, or mage party member – single-, dual-, or multi-class – and CHARNAME must already have acquired a stronghold.)
    • An Unsanctioned Use of Magical Energy (a.k.a. More Cowl Tasks) [quest]:
      Talk to the Cowled Wizard who stands near Chief Inspector Brega inside the Council of Six Building (in the Government district of Athkatla).
    • The Marriage of Surayah:
      ???
    • Den of Nightly Brawls:
      ???
    • Ryberg and his Uncle (a.k.a. Lost Inheritance) [quest]:
      Ryberg approaches you outdoors in Athkatla.
      (Requires: Sorcerer or Mage CHARNAME of level 10+.)
    • The Subdual (a.k.a. Velvetfoot) [dragon duel]:
      Talk to the pirate in the City Gates district of Athkatla.
      (Requires: Fighter of level 10+, or other class of level 14+.)
    Chapter 3:
    • Captured! [rescue quest]:
      Shadow Thieves try to abduct CHARNAME in the Bridge district of Athkatla, during Bodhi's first task.
      (Requires: Siding with Bodhi.)
    Chapter 4:
    • Horton Spots A Who [multiple small tasks]:
      Talk to Wyrbrin Horton, who stands outdoors in the eastern part of Brynnlaw (upper level) at night, using a single-class Thief party member.
    Chapter 6:
    • The Company of Eight [dungeon crawl]:
      Paddy approaches you in the Forest of Tethyr.
    • Civil Disobedience [encounter]:
      Enter the Government district of Athkatla in chapter 6.
    • Death And Taxes:
      ???
    • The Master Vampire [quest]:
      Loot a letter from Bodhi's sarcophagus after killing her in chapter 6.

cnCJQ6q.png

Candlekeep Chores is an infamous optional component which causes CHARNAME, in Irenicus' Dungeon at the start of the game, to have a flashback to his or her earlier life in Candlekeep. You have to complete several days of boring chores, at the end of which CHARNAME gets some permanent bonuses.

uVOp0vb.png

Install normally.
(EE & EET compatible since v3.0.)

Compatible with the BP-BGT Worldmap mod (install this after all quest mods).[/spoiler]

zyiW9Ib.png
Post edited by ineth on
leeuxAngulimalaOlvynChuruevildevil97StummvonBordwehrlefreutSanctiferkoteko

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    cnCJQ6q.png

Candlekeep Chores is an infamous optional component which causes CHARNAME, in Irenicus' Dungeon at the start of the game, to have a flashback to his or her earlier life in Candlekeep. You have to complete several days of boring chores, at the end of which CHARNAME gets some permanent bonuses.
    I still cannot believe some human being at some point in time created this component and thought it would be a good idea to add it into the game.
    leeuxmegamike15tl1942
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    CHARNAME having a flashback while being tortured by Irenicus, is not an inherently terrible idea.
    But yeah, the chores are... not fun.
    leeuxStummvonBordwehrFina92Isewein
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    edited June 2019
    ineth wrote: »
    CHARNAME having a flashback while being tortured by Irenicus, is not an inherently terrible idea.
    But yeah, the chores are... not fun.

I remember in a BWS that you could convince Gorian that you didnt need to do the chores, but could still get the reward.

I think another mod introduced that option.. and yes I always skipped the chores but got the rewards.

Btw. Thank you for the spotlight. It brings back memories - besides from the many bugs in the install, all good ones
    Post edited by StummvonBordwehr on
  • AngulimalaAngulimala Member Posts: 82
    Thank you for this @ineth, currently working my way through a mega mod install and wondering what goes with what mod. Now I'm curious about what other mod highlights you've done.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    I remember my first time through Kuldin too, that was kind've fun :).

A bit overambitious on the whole though, with about 20% of the present scope and the better ideas concentrated and bugfixed it would be a worthy part of every install. Still, this was from the early days of modding after all.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited June 2019
    Angulimala wrote: »
    Now I'm curious about what other mod highlights you've done.
    This is the first one. But I just posted a second one...
    (Not yet sure whether I'll do more of these.)

I've also updated the top post to add more info on how to start the assorted side-quests.
    Angulimala
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    @kiski
    if your skills have progressed and you're still into making areas since, you can always make an improved render of your areas and update the mod ;)
  • kiskikiski Member Posts: 40
    @bob_veng : Sorry, won´t do that. I made a whole new city areas since then, offered them to community for free, and still there´s no one to take them a make them alive. So why would I recreate those I wonder...
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @ineth
    Thankee for your mod spotlights! What plans do you have to spotlight other mods?
    @ineth
    What Check the Bodies version did you play?
  • Dalmir_The_DarkDalmir_The_Dark Member Posts: 40
    So I've encountered a bug where I cannot enter the entrance to the Ancient Library. Can anyone provide me with the area code so I can CLUA into it?
    The first time I went into the cave in Umar Hills, I clicked on the pool and the icon changed from a question mark into an area transition. I didn't want to go into the pool at the time so I left to do other stuff. When I came back later, and clicked on the pool, the question mark would no longer change into an area transition so I can't enter through the pool.
    @Dalmir_The_Dark
    If you're on EET or your console is otherwise enabled, push Control Space on the main game screen and scroll through the area list.
    I'm running a regular BG2EE game. The only areas that are ever listed there are vanilla areas plus Trials of the Luremaster are the only modded areas that appear. Maybe because they are also from another official release originally, albeit Icewind Dale??

Not sure if this is different for EET as I don't play EET. Anyway, don't you think if I know how to CLUA console to take myself to an area that I know how to scroll through the list that automatically appears every time you bring up the console?

I even went into the Check The Bodies folder and searched around a bit and found a file that lists a few areas codes with names of the locations cross referenced, but that list does not have an area code listing for the Ancient Library. I'm sure there is a way to find it I'm just not experienced enough at modding to know what I'm looking for. I'm just a proofreader at the end of the day. :smile:
  • JohnBobJohnBob Member Posts: 128
    Hello,

The CLUA should be AR3575
    Thanks, JohnBob! That worked. From there I just needed to CTRL-J to move my party to where they should be entering the map.
  • anyoneanyone Member Posts: 8
    Is there a walkthrough available for the Lost Inheritance/Ryberg’s uncle quest? Is there one available for the other puzzle quests?
  • anyoneanyone Member Posts: 8
    I ended up deleting the mod, it kept crashing my game when the messenger arrived to invite my character to some girl’s coming-out party. Kind of a shame because the content is excellent. I have version 3.0, is there an update to the mod that fixes that bug?
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Version 3.0 from SHS is the most current version, so no. I added it to the bug reports.
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    I can take a look next week.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Thanks in advance!
    Awesome. This mod is s must have… at least to me
    @ineth
    Where in BG2 is CHARNAME warped back to Candlekeep for chores?

Thankee!
    It should be in Irenicus dungeon - in the opening cut scene, where he conducts the Experiments and ask you if you know your potential iirc. The cut scene is interupted and you are teleported back to CK as a child

When the chore part is done, the cut scene reactivates. There is a way to not do the chores and just get the perks.. I strongly recommend doing that. If not, you should at least summon some boots of speed and everything else that makes you walk faster…. It will make sense (sort of) when you get there.
    On EET, I skipped the opening SoA scene and was wondering what went wrong.
    That figures. In the old days, the BWS also struggled to get it right.

CtB and RoT (region of terror) really didnt work well in Tandem with BGT.

The chores and that part of the mod is super boring. So you are not missing out - besides the perks.
    Apparently, Candlekeep Chores are triggered in Irenicus's Dungeon's Library.
    Super. That makes sense - I remembered wrong it seems
  • JohnBobJohnBob Member Posts: 128
    @StummvonBordwehr

I remember the same thing, from what I understand, initially the chores started in the cage, as you said. But that was later modified for convenience or compatibility, I guess....
    JohnBob wrote: »
    @StummvonBordwehr

I remember the same thing, from what I understand, initially the chores started in the cage, as you said. But that was later modified for convenience or compatibility, I guess....

Good to hear @JohnBob.

And the change makes sense - my game always broke when it interfered with the Irenicus Cut scene. I guess moving the mod content to the library made it work better with EET/BWS.