Skip to content

Absolutely useless facts...

mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
Sometimes we just learn absolutely useless facts... here is one I learned today...

Ptolemy used "pars minuta prima" ("first small part") for "one sixtieth of an hour", which got abbreviated to "minute", and "pars minuta seconda" ("second small part") for "one sixtieth of a minute", which got abbreviated to "second".
Dev6ThacoBellsemiticgoddessdeltagoProontRaduzielvoidofopinion[Deleted User]CrevsDaakMirandel

Comments

• Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719

Charles Manson once called Ted Bundy a "poopbutt."

This is now my favourite piece of trivia ever.
    Balrog99Proontmlnevese
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    mlnevesesemiticgoddessProont
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910

Desire lines are stomped grass and trails that people leave behind when they walk the same path on vegetation. In cities we see these when people cut the corner on a sidewalk by walking on the grass instead of to the sidewalk's corner intersection. :) You can also see these trails in the snow.

When I was younger an old man started yelling at me for walking like this, telling me that in his days they knew how to respect nature. I was already in a horrible mood and we ended up loudly debating which generation had the least respect for nature and the environment. Good times.

A perhaps not totally useless fact: absinthe does not cause hallucinations. The persistent rumor that it does comes from the late 19th century when people would sell cheap knock-offs that contained copper salts to mimic absinthe's characteristic green color. And that is not healthy. The green color in real absinthe comes from chlorophyll from the herbs that have been soaking in it.
    Proontmlnevese[Deleted User]ThacoBell
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Canada imposes a 6.5% tariff on all imported sewage sludge.
    mlneveseProontelminster
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    ThacoBell said:

Scooby Doo, Conan, and Cthulhu take place in the same universe. The gang went to Miskatonic university in college.

So I guess that means that KISS takes place in the same universe.

ThacoBelldeltagomlneveseProont
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @DrHappyAngry There are at least 3-4 separate continuities in Scooby Doo, so it depends on which one this (Hilariously awesome) movie is attached to. Considering its contents, I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
    DrHappyAngryProont
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366

ThacoBell said:

Scooby Doo, Conan, and Cthulhu take place in the same universe. The gang went to Miskatonic university in college.

So I guess that means that KISS takes place in the same universe.

That actually explains a lot...
    mlneveseProontThacoBell
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited July 2018
    I think Kiss had a vision of a Great Old One... that would explain their loss of sanity...
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    DrHappyAngryProontThacoBell

Ah, walking on an old man's lawn: the greatest sin. :D

And it wasn’t even his lawn, just a random patch of Grass next to a parking lot!

Useless fact: my autocorrect insists that Grass should be a capitalized word.
    ProontThacoBell
    edited July 2018
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Don’t know if this should go here or the lesser known history thread... you all can decide.

mlneveseProontDrHappyAngry
    edited July 2018
    JoenSo said:

There are well over 100 000 articles on the Volapük version of Wikipedia, even though the constructed language only has a few dozen speakers today. Apparently a Volapük enthusiast auto-generated thousands of new articles to spread awareness about the language.

I didn't even know it existed... The only constructed language I was aware of was Esperanto...
    JoenSoThacoBellProontCrevsDaak
    edited July 2018
    Esperanto is definitely the most popular of the constructed languages that aim to be international auxiliary languages. But there are actually a bunch of them. Languages like Ido and Interlingua are still fairly popular I think. Then there's the really obscure ones like Volapük, Babm and Bolak.

Also, J.R.R. Tolkien once wrote an article about Esperanto. Like Tolkien, I learned some Esperanto once for fun, but I have forgotten most of it.
    ThacoBellmlneveseProontlolien
    kacsf1i2l9ex.jpg

Well... the image says it all :)
    ProontlolienThacoBellEnialusMeliamne