Skip to content

Pathfinder : Kingmaker

Comments

• SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    mlnevese wrote: »
    Figthing restartitis... it actually took time to hit. I'm doing Vordekai's Tomb and just wasn't prepared for it. Not enough restoration spells with me.

I'm temped to restart with an angel aasimar eldritch scion with the abyssal bloodline... maybe throw a level as a monk and or paladin to improve saves and ac...

Just lower the difficulty and allow effects to be removed on resting.
    mlnevese
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Figthing restartitis... it actually took time to hit. I'm doing Vordekai's Tomb and just wasn't prepared for it. Not enough restoration spells with me.

I'm temped to restart with an angel aasimar eldritch scion with the abyssal bloodline... maybe throw a level as a monk and or paladin to improve saves and ac...

That dungeon seriously needed some warnings... maybe rumors before you actually get to it. You can easily lose some characters permanently in there with all the level draining and negative levels it inflicts you.

That dungeon seriously needed some warnings... maybe rumors before you actually get to it. You can easily lose some characters permanently in there with all the level draining and negative levels it inflicts you.

Well, you are entering an fortress of an guy capable of raising an undead cyclops army, IMO this is enough warning. Mainly when you can easily adjust the difficulty.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Turning your whole party undead is the best thing ever. Those cyplops zombie shamans are true gentlemen, what with healing you with negative energy in the nicest of moments. :wink:
    SorcererV1ct0r
    edited August 2019
    Turning your whole party undead is the best thing ever. Those cyplops zombie shamans are true gentlemen, what with healing you with negative energy in the nicest of moments. :wink:

There are any non cheating way to be an undead in the game? Sadly you have an undead companion. And undead sorcerer would be amazing. My 30 CHA would make me with more HP than my fighter...
    AFAIK, only via Bag of Tricks. You can give Jaethal's undead type everyone you want.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577

I'm tempted to restart with an angel aasimar eldritch scion with the abyssal bloodline... maybe throw a level as a monk and or paladin to improve saves and ac...

That's a lot of fun. That's pretty close to what I did in my no-reload run, but I went with Lawful Evil Pit-Born Tiefling to keep that demon flavor going. You do have to keep in mind, dipping into other classes hurts your casting and magus abilities. You've got to have at least 16 levels in Magus in order to get their top tier level 6 spells, too. The dip into monk may not be as sweet as you think, too. At 7th level a magus can wear medium armor, and I think around level 11 they can even cast in heavy armor. If you're doing more of a dex based magus, a monk level does fit, though. At level 19, magi get to pick any 6 spells from the wizards spell list, too. That opens a lot of spells that have been barred for most of the game for them. It's a 2 level dip into paladin to get that charisma bonus to saves, unlike in NWN where they get them at first level.

A magus takes a ton of micromanagement to play well. You're pretty much going to need to roll around with shield and mirror image up at all times. The one handed spell casting is also a modal, so if you're a strength based magus, you want to turn that off and use your weapon 2 handed when you're not casting for extra damage. My favorite was to flip that on, throw out a touch spell like shocking grasp, frigid touch or vampiric touch and then use arcane accuracy to make sure it hits. You also want to use a high crit chance weapon, because the damage from the touch spells is doubled on a crit, so scimitars for strength based magi and rapiers for dex based are good ideas. For me the class is tons of fun, because it means there's always something for your character to do with the split between combat and arcane. It very much feels like fighter/mage from the BG games with some stuff from the old school blade singer kit thrown in.

You can rest in Vordakai's tomb after swapping out some spells for restoration. The spell does require diamond dust, though, so not helpful if you didn't bring some. There are rations that can be found in the dungeon, as well.

I get the restartitis bad myself. I've got paladin 2/Inquisitor 17 right at Pitax and am wanting to start over again, too.
    mlnevese
    edited August 2019
    Actually I brought 10 diamond dust. I expected some ability drain. Not so much though. Next run I'll make sure I get to this dungeon with 20 or so. And some extra potions and scrolls as well. Thanks to death ward at least level drain is not a headache.
    Diamond dust is the component for stoneskin and communal stoneskin, so it's worth it to roll with a lot.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited August 2019
    Has anyone ever tried to play PfK with just straight, vanilla classes? Is it even possible to do that, or is the game designed such that you can't succeed without all these elaborate splash builds with prestige classes and exotic races I keep reading about? If that's true, it's definitely a thing that puts me off ever trying this game again. I dislike that kind of character building with a passion. I'm not saying other people shouldn't enjoy it, I'm just saying I don't.

What if somebody just wanted to play a plain human fighter, or cleric, or rogue, or wizard? And keep all the companions leveling in their first classes that you find them with?
    JuliusBorisov
    Has anyone ever tried to play PfK with just straight, vanilla classes? Is it even possible to do that, or is the game designed such that you can't succeed without all these elaborate splash builds with prestige classes and exotic races I keep reading about? If that's true, it's definitely a thing that puts me off ever trying this game again. I dislike that kind of character building with a passion. I'm not saying other people shouldn't enjoy it, I'm just saying I don't.

What if somebody just wanted to play a plain human fighter, or cleric, or rogue, or wizard? And keep all the companions leveling in their first classes that you find them with?

I did straight 20 levels of eldritch scion in the no reload run. I've also finished the game as a halfling sorcerer with the arcane bloodline for all 20 levels. At higher levels, there's some feats only available to fighters that can bypass huge amounts of damage reduction. Pure casters can be very powerful. Pure rogues are great too, but they also benefit from mixing. Sticking to a single class can be really powerful, they do give a lot of them some neat powers when you get past level 10. For instance rogues can get crippling strike at 10th level, so in addition to their sneak attack damage, they do -2 strength damage with each sneak attack. A lot of the caster classes don't benefit from being mixed with other classes, since every level of something else is a level that could have gotten your more spells and increased your caster level.
    BelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523

Single classes work fine throughout. Just like BG, one can powergame with dual- and multi-classing, min-maxing, etc. Many single class, non-casters in PfK actually get very powerful abilities at 19th or 20th level - usually an insta-kill ability.
    DrHappyAngrymlneveseBelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    Yes, you can @BelgarathMTH In fact almost all the companions have plain vanilla classes. And as @bleusteel said, you have the lvl 20 habs (even if you normally do not reach lvl 20 without the DLC and some grinding).
    Plain humans are a solid race (you choose your bonus so they can appeal to any class or build).
    DrHappyAngrymlneveseBelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    @BelgarathMTH I'm doing my first playthrough of the game as an half-elf sacred huntsmaster (Inquisitor kit). I don't know if you consider this a vanilla classes. I only level in this class and I only level my companions in their first classes.

I haven't finished the game yet but so far I have a lot of fun with it.
    mlneveseBelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
    edited August 2019

Pure half elf sorcerer of undead bloodline here playing at custom difficulty with normal damage, but resting removing effects and easiest kingdom management. Recently i reached lv 20

kBHCUQ1.jpg

The unique enemy that i an having problem is the Spawn of rovagug due his massive 35 SR and insane DR + saves. Looks like he is the worst enemy for pure casters... All of my melee fighters are low level and poor eqquiped. I will try again later(ended pitax now)
    edited August 2019
    I am fully embracing my restartitis, so next, I want to try the Eldritch archer kit for magus. (I know, Eldrich scion is a powerful choice, I just want to try the ranged version of the magus for science).

I suppose I will build a elven lass (for tradition if nothing else). I know Magus´ spellbook do not have most CC or debuff spells and neither "hurricane bow" (wtf owlcat?) so I will buy all the ray spells in the spellbook. So, do you have any suggestions, build references, spells?

Ed:
    xvl6t9mz3qln.png

Post edited by PsicoVic on
    mlnevese
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    I suffer from acute restartitis under the best of circumstances. With this game's vast array of possible class combo builds my restartitis is at an astronomical level. :smiley:
    mlneveseSkatan
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Argh, what is it with cutscenes after combat in this game and moving characters on screen? Have they not factored in lingering AoEs? I've had several examples of characters being moved into my Deadly Earth AoE by a cutscene. Some are hilarious because the character has immortaility - like when the old gnome summoned Tristian to the Bloom, right into Deadly Earth: it was like a machine gun of damage as poor Tristian took like 5 million damage; he's immortal there and the only annoyance was that he starts the next scene with like 9 HPs as if he's just gotten up after falling in combat.

But then I had a much worse one at Vordakai. Brutal battle, got nailed by about 3 Boneshakers and in the end it was a race to inflict damage to fell him before he nailed me. Beat him with about 50 HPs left. Cutscene - long conversation - release Maegar - and I am moved by the game into my own Deadly Earth. Game over.

That's just idiotic design, can't believe they haven't addressed basics like this. If this were still a no-reload run I would have been furious. But it's a min-reload run as I've already messed up a couple of times so just decided to playthrough to see how things pan out. So no real damage done, other than having to redo the battle and being more deliberate with placing of Deadly Earth to avoid the spot the cutscene will move me to.

Another, slightly more minor annoyance: Flintrock Grassland: massive area, tons of fighting, loot everywhere. I'm at medium encumberance before I've even got to the camp, so I just stopped collecting loot as I know I will have to make multiple trips to town and back to transport the loot (had to do same with Vordakai's Tomb, took 4 trips to transport all the worthwhile loot!) So after clearing the area I leave, didn't even look through the items. Go back to capital, do some stuff, head back to Flintrock: location is not available. What?! That's a joke, no warning or anything. If it's just gold I've missed then it's not a big deal, what's another 20k when you already have 300k, but I know just from the leaving trophies screen that there were potions, scrolls and magic items there as well. Maybe relic fragments as well, that would be a real downer.

There are just some bits of this game where you just want to slap the designers with a wet fish and ask: "what were you thinking?! How could you miss that this could happen?"

And another one since I'm on a roll. Primal Shambling Mound in the Abandoned Keep. Beat it no probs, it didn't even get near me. Now how to kill it? Fire, no. Acid, no. Cold iron, no. I'm trying every wand and scroll I have, the 50% failure is bloody annoying as it wastes resources but nothing is killing it. Vampiric Touch. Divine damage from Searing Light. Slay Living. Nothing is working! Eventually have to google it as I'm out of ideas and two things are suggested: inflict spells or Disintegrate. Unfortunately I've sold all the Inflict scrolls I've found (never had a use for them until now!) and the one scroll of Disintegrate I had fell victim to spell failure roll.

What the effin hell now?

Finally figured it out. Saw mention from google of "instant death" effects can kill it. Looked through every item and ability I had for instant-death effects - finally stumbled on coup-de-grace. I had never used it as you can't use it with kinetic blade. So switched to cold iron dagger, hit it with coup-de-grace, and it exploded. Finally. Looked at combat text after to see that DC of coup-de-grace was 25 and it had +20 Fortitude, so was only a 20% chance even with that.

Honestly, this game. I'm obsessed with it but also drives me up the wall sometimes.

BelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
    edited August 2019
    Bags of Holding are your friends
    tenor.gif?itemid=7173795

Ed: And the "Papa Legba" hat.
    And another one since I'm on a roll. Primal Shambling Mound in the Abandoned Keep. Beat it no probs, it didn't even get near me. Now how to kill it? Fire, no. Acid, no. Cold iron, no. I'm trying every wand and scroll I have, the 50% failure is bloody annoying as it wastes resources but nothing is killing it. Vampiric Touch. Divine damage from Searing Light. Slay Living. Nothing is working! Eventually have to google it as I'm out of ideas and two things are suggested: inflict spells or Disintegrate. Unfortunately I've sold all the Inflict scrolls I've found (never had a use for them until now!) and the one scroll of Disintegrate I had fell victim to spell failure roll.

What the effin hell now?

Finally figured it out. Saw mention from google of "instant death" effects can kill it. Looked through every item and ability I had for instant-death effects - finally stumbled on coup-de-grace. I had never used it as you can't use it with kinetic blade. So switched to cold iron dagger, hit it with coup-de-grace, and it exploded. Finally. Looked at combat text after to see that DC of coup-de-grace was 25 and it had +20 Fortitude, so was only a 20% chance even with that.

Honestly, this game. I'm obsessed with it but also drives me up the wall sometimes.

Killing things with regeneration 10 without coup de grace like before the patch was the real effin hell XDD

mlnevese
    I have the bag of holding, two smaller bags of holding, and the Professor's Hat. Still not enough storage! When you're lugging around literally hundreds of potions and scrolls the weight adds up.

Should just not bother collecting magical weapons and armour (I never pick up non-magical stuff) but then I think of all the build points it translates to and can't help it. It's not a problem anyway in most maps as you can always come back for a second trip, but when you are arbitrarily blocked for no good reason and without warning, that doesn't help.

I made sure I collected everything I wanted from the Abandoned Keep, figuring that would be a map you can't return to, but ironically you can return there!

I think I know why they block Flintrock - it's just design laziness, because you have the eastern area where you first meet the rebel barbs which is inaccessible from the rest of the map, and you are then transported by the game to the rest of the map. So they probably just couldn't be bothered converting the map into one whole map after you have done the mission or creating entry/exit points for different bits of the map. So they instead just took the lazy option of blocking it without warning, bad luck if you didn't pick up the loot. Shambles.

PsicoVicmlnevese
    Is there any more DLC in the planning? I wonder if they will ever implement epic level rules although I particularly do not like very high level games.
    Not sure but agree we don't need even more powerful characters. Already too much power and loot as it is.

The character I am playing is now level 18, Psychokineticist 17, Traditional Monk 1. It's easily and by far the most powerful solo character I have played in any RPG. I am pretty sure that in my next playthrough, with the advantage of knowing what is to come (this playthrough is blind), I will be able to do successful solo no-reload.

This class is perfect for solo. You have a few abilities that you can use over and over again, so you hardly need to rest and it's minimal micromanagement as well. As an illustration of both points, I have all the abilities I ever use as single click on the bottom quickbar (don't need to use sidebars) and I have not rested since I got Heart of Ira in Act 2 (no more fatigue) and I don't take burn either so never need to rest.

The offence is devastating. A single Empowered, Maximised, Composite Deadly Earth (magma or mud) does 200+ damage to everyone in AoE immediately and a further 100+ per round until combat ends. It doesn't matter what their AC is, what their saves are or whether they have spell resistance. You just cast it, 50% of enemies die immediately, 25% die after one round, the other 25% die after two rounds. Nothing has survived for more than 2 rounds - I know that because my next action is to cast an Empowered, Maximised Fire Wall (which takes one more round to cast) and by the time I've done that, combat is finished. If that's not sick enough, I have just gained Cloud Infusion at level 17. So now I can cast Deadly Earth and then stack a Cloud on top for good measure. It's basically an "I win" button.

As for defence, I am nowhere near best equipment yet have AC 50 (58 in melee with defensive fighting and Crane Wing), 200 HPs and saves around 25. And this is Act 4 I think (about to do Armag's Tomb) so plenty of scope for improvement.

Put it this way, if an opponent could launch a single attack at me which immediately does AoE 200 damage, and for which there is no attack roll, saving throw or immunity, + 100 damage per round automatic, and which slows me, I'd be crying foul. All from one attack. So in the interest of fairness, I have to say that it's a brokenly powerful class for the player to use.
    mlnevese
    Animal companions can increase the carrying limit by a lot too.
    Is there any more DLC in the planning? I wonder if they will ever implement epic level rules although I particularly do not like very high level games.

"Paizo has a different take on "more power." It's called mythic." https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/320juc/epic_levels_in_pathfinder/

They did an survey but no actual info about an next DLC < https://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791462317226/announcements/detail/1620650998675997158
    mlnevese
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308

On the Owlcat forum there's some discussion going on about this (epic rules) as a very good possibility in the second game. Since they have their second game in development, odds are they're done for content for P:K.

I also personally don't care for high level play. I just love being the unknown little guy, where gaining a new level or a new piece of equipment makes you feel really awesome and like you've accomplished something meaningful. Once I'm at high levels, the game starts to feel meaningless and valueless.
    mlnevesePsicoVic
    The primal shambling mound can also be killed with inflict wounds type spells, which are a bitch to get off in that area, since all magic is supposed to have a 50% chance of failure, but it's definitely much higher than a 50% failure rate, I'd peg it above 90% in reality. If it were 50%, I would have had at least one playthrough where it didn't take around 10 tries casting the spell to finish it. There's that scythe you get in vordakai's tomb that'll do negative damage on a crit and kill it, too. It just dawned on me, channeling negative energy as a cleric will probably kill it, too.

@Jaheiras_Witness, so with soloing, how are you dealing with some of the spots that require a party, like Lamashtu's Womb, during season of the bloom?
    The primal shambling mound can also be killed with inflict wounds type spells, which are a bitch to get off in that area, since all magic is supposed to have a 50% chance of failure, but it's definitely much higher than a 50% failure rate, I'd peg it above 90% in reality. If it were 50%, I would have had at least one playthrough where it didn't take around 10 tries casting the spell to finish it. There's that scythe you get in vordakai's tomb that'll do negative damage on a crit and kill it, too. It just dawned on me, channeling negative energy as a cleric will probably kill it, too.

@Jaheiras_Witness, so with soloing, how are you dealing with some of the spots that require a party, like Lamashtu's Womb, during season of the bloom?

I like the fact that in low levels a simple arrow or sword hit can kill you. Epic level characters withstanding attacks that could level cities just do not interest me at all :)
    kanisatha
    characters withstanding attacks that could level cities just do not interest me at all :)
    Dropping a moon on them usually works.
    mlnevese

Yes, the spell failure felt higher than 50% to me too, more like 75%, but too small a sample to judge.

For the bloom, the gnome automatically summons Tristian (into my Deadly Earth hilariously) so my PC fought in the First World and I used Tristian to beat the Flytrap in the physical world. For companion quests I also have to take that companion along to do that quest, though my PC does the fighting where possible (the companions just get in the way e.g. the Kanerah quest vs soul eaters was a tough battle because she and the Sweet Teeth were in the battle so I couldn't use Deadly Earth or Wall. Instead I had to melee them with Kinetic Blade).

The only other occasion I had to use companions was Sepulchre of Forgotten Heroes, where I used Amiri and Linzi to toggle the switches while my PC soloed the fights (Amiri was just sat at the Green/Yellow switch the whole time while Linzi moved between the Orange, Blue and White switches as required).

So yes you do need companions in this game for little bits and because some of them are integral to the plot. Also for kingdom management - I didn't realise at the time when I turned down Octavia and Regongar, but I'm now permanently stuck without a Magister as options are apparently Octavia (not in party), Vordakai (not evil), and Storyteller. But Storyteller is my Curator, and the only other option I have there is Linzi, but she's my diplomat because only other option there is Valerie, but she's my Regent because I have no other option in that role :D. So I'm now permanently one advisor short, which is annoying but at least I'll know better for next time.

The companions I have are Linzi, Amiri and Valerie from the tutorial; Tristian automatic join; Kalikke/Kanerah because I did their quest; Jubilost joined when I reported to him that I'd found troll lair (didn't intend to recruit him); and Nok-Nok even though I told him to bugger off (didn't, and still don't, want him). I've been trying to keep the group as small and lean as possible by turning down join requests, though I'm not asking people who've already joined to leave. I told Harrim and Jaethal to do one after freeing them from kobolds; said no to Octavia and Regongar; and also turned down Ekundayo. I also made the mistake of choosing Kassil rather than Shandra as envoy which means I need Tristian as Councillor (Amiri is general so Kassil was redundant).

I guess for next time I need Octavia, but I can lose Nok-Nok (if possible without actually attacking him), Kanerah/Kalikke and later Tristian.

I like the fact that in low levels a simple arrow or sword hit can kill you. Epic level characters withstanding attacks that could level cities just do not interest me at all :)

Epic level characters are supose to be "demigodlike"
    [<...>I didn't realise at the time when I turned down Octavia and Regongar, but I'm now permanently stuck without a Magister as options are apparently Octavia (not in party), Vordakai (not evil), and Storyteller. But Storyteller is my Curator,<...>.

You can use mercenaries on kingdom management. They aren't good as companions, has penalties, but is better than have no advisor
    I'd heard that was bugged though, and you can't rank up with mercenaries?

Maybe I can switch Storyteller between Curator and Magister to keep ranking both up? Or does it reset if you remove the advisor?