Skip to content

Today was the first time I ...

I thought I would start a thread for things that you have never done before while playing Baldur's Gate. I'll get the ball rolling:

Today was the first time I punched a rat unconscious.
m17mnyvxzn9y.png

I didn't realise my sword had broken and it took me a while to work out what was going on.
Arviajasteydunbargugulug5000DJKajuruThacoBellZaghoulAerakarsemiticgoddesssarevok57SkatanStummvonBordwehrleeuxgorgonzolaIseweinlolienDaevelonTimbo0o0o0AedanCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovQuartzmlnevese[Deleted User]

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Chronicler wrote: »
    I think I know what happened there. The Ogre Mage is invisible. When it sees you it attacks, revealing itself. Since you are also invisible though you just passed by eachother without noticing.

Ah, that would explain it. I was expecting a Winter Wolf so I turned invisible so I could backstab it (I'm playing an FMT). Sounds like I had a stroke of good fortune. I suspect that an Ogre Mage would have made pretty short work of me.

Not if you're playing a bounty hunter!
    AerakarCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    today i had dorn, even if only for testing purposes, for the first time in my party as i was testing how turn paladins works in EE.
    i can not really play with him and hexxat as i play always good oriented with good or (jaheira like) neutral charnames.
    Balrog99JuliusBorisov
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    today i had dorn, even if only for testing purposes, for the first time in my party as i was testing how turn paladins works in EE.
    i can not really play with him and hexxat as i play always good oriented with good or (jaheira like) neutral charnames.

I really liked Dorn in BGEE, but his quests are totally annoying in SoA. He suddenly becomes a total moron attacking entire groups of powerful enemies like he's invulnerable or something. I had to replay his battle with the large group of Paladins outside Athkatla three times just to keep him alive. Nobody is that stupid...
    gorgonzolaAerakarJuliusBorisov
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Halflings are also valid for all romances, for whatever it's worth @DJKajuru
    BlackravenAerakarJuliusBorisov
    too bad that in EE is almost impossible to have a bard sing and attack in the same round.
    in the original it is easy to do setting the autopause on round end and activating the song before unpausing then attacking as soon as the song kicks in, a fraction of second after unpausing.
    i am not sure that i had him at ac cap, but i had him almost constantly with very low ac while tanking and attacking with a high damage weapon like the ram staff or the impaler.
    as tank a stoneskin lasted forever as only the critical hits passed trough the ac, and thanks to the song boost of his song and the high damage of the weapon he contributed to the party damage.

in EE i am able to have him as tank or as damage dealer, and being used to the pre EE use i find it less interesting then how it probably is, i had a blade in most of my runs, now it happens way less often.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    too bad that in EE is almost impossible to have a bard sing and attack in the same round.
    in the original it is easy to do setting the autopause on round end and activating the song before unpausing then attacking as soon as the song kicks in, a fraction of second after unpausing.
    i am not sure that i had him at ac cap, but i had him almost constantly with very low ac while tanking and attacking with a high damage weapon like the ram staff or the impaler.
    as tank a stoneskin lasted forever as only the critical hits passed trough the ac, and thanks to the song boost of his song and the high damage of the weapon he contributed to the party damage.

in EE i am able to have him as tank or as damage dealer, and being used to the pre EE use i find it less interesting then how it probably is, i had a blade in most of my runs, now it happens way less often.

I take it you skip SoD? Bard hat and all.
    Trouveur
    edited September 2019
    @Chronicler yes, i don't own SoD so i don't know about the bard enhancing items that you can find there.
    and for now i don't want to be spoiled about them as i plan in the future to buy and play that game, but i want to do it without any previous knowledge about the plot, npcs and items i will find. to play a game completely not spoiled is a gift that is given only one time in the life for each game and i really liked when i played bg and bg2 that way, in a time when i had not access to the net.

anyway you did not spoil much here, and if some items that give back to the bard some of his former pre EE glory i can only be happy!
    even if i rarely used some pre EE features, like having multiple clones singing and stacking their songs, i really liked the sing and attack feature, more then attacking while a clone sing, as i find the mislead side effect of giving permanent invisibility to the caster, fine if he is casting but (for my taste) not if if he is in mlee. in some runs i had even more then one bard in the party singing and attacking to grant double song bonus to the party, thing that to my eyes was fair as a bard is less mlee effective then a dedicated mlee toon, like a pure fighter or a FM/FMT.

anyway with a larger aoe of the song, the EE one is too small for my taste, the bard is still an interesting class to play, and with items (that i assume exist from your post) that enhence it is even more interesting.

by the way i continue to play not EE in some runs as i like some old not EE compatible mods, like the soulafiein npc, and some tactics that in EE are no more possible, sing and attack is only one of them, as well as i play EE for the new npcs and content, the compatibility with modern mods and some other features like the quick looting, faster reload times and a better interface.

i really appreciate how you did ask me without spoiling too much ;):) .
    Chroniclerlolien
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    @gorgonzola Oh I'm terribly sorry. Won't say a word more.
    gorgonzola
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    The run I got that picture from also skipped SoD (I don't have it) so no Bard Hat for me. And really, I'm fine with him spending most combats just standing around howling his songs, granting huge bonuses to the team. I'm also using the "Bigger Bard Song" mod, so that song reliably covers the team in normal circumstances. If I actually need him to fight or cast something (usually Dispel Magic or Remove Magic), he can always do that.
    gorgonzola
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Note that Enhanced Bard Song is arguably not worth it for the vanilla Bard now, as +3 Luck is a crazily good defensive tool that reduces incoming spell damage by about half. For example, Comet goes from an average of 55 damage to 31. (I think my understanding of luck is correct, right? 1d10 turns into (1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)? Or is it 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 7 7, 7?) ADHW goes from 90 to 32.5 damage, if my math is correct, on a failed save. This goes away with the Enhanced Song, though the damage, stun and confusion immunities are admittedly quite nice.
    Speaking of massive spell values, today’s the first time (well, two days ago I guess now) that I’ve lost a teammate to triple digit ice damage.
    loliengorgonzolaJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    @Chronicler you gave just the right expectation without really spoil anithing, no need to apologize.
    I still ignore what the hat does.

@jmerry, that mod is the one i was referring at.
    To just use the song to boost the party and to tank with crazy ac is good, to attack while doing that without loosing the song is even better.

@Neverused the luck boost of the song gives some interesting tactical options, you are right about it.
    But for haer dalis and the blades, my preferred kit, it is not an option.
    Also the enhanced song, and in not EE the song of 2 bards or a bard and his clone stacked, make the mages in the back hit and do a noticeable dmg contribution, make frontliners hit like trucks with better ac and, last but not least, allow super back stabs, with 2 songs it is 40 more dmg each stab.

It really depends on play stile.

I have to try blade and skald in the same EE party, but i am not happy about having to use the clones to sing if i dont want to loose the mlee contribution of 2 toons, that on average are half of my party.
    I feel that skald (vanilla song), haer dalis (enhanced one), jan and aerie, with maybe the sorcerer tashia as 5fth, will be an interesting run.
    edited September 2019
    i will, and actually i think that it can be a pretty strong party.
    all the members have arcane casting capability, so very good protection and tanking power.
    and up to 4 (5) spells/round capability before improved alacrity, that mean that stacking webs, feeblemind or turn to stone dragons, lay carpets of skull traps or incenerating with barrages of flame arrows will be a breeze, and those are only few examples.

jan can mix arcane and thieving skills to set traps, detect illusions and stab, is not super strong mlee wise, but can give if needed some ranged and mlee support.

aerie covers the divine casting, as she gets some levels she can also be buffed to be effective in mlee, with less attacks compared to a fighter, but with really good thac0 and godly str. as she can cast lev 8 arcane spells the simulacrum will double her potential when needed.

the skald can provide from the beginning some party buff to dmg, thac0 and ac, that will stack with the enhanced song of haer dalis later for a massive triple +8. obtained trough clones if is needed.

the blade can be configured for 4 apr, can tank early game with the defensive spin or use the offensive one to boost his attacks.

i am not sure if a sorcerer or an other high level mage (imoen?) is really needed, will offset the problem of having only 2 multi able to cast lev 9 spells and getting levels slower (for a multi to cast them takes forever), but it mean to run a party of 5, while in a party of 4 the multi progress each class only a little slower then how a single class gains levels in a full party. imoen can be perfect as she does not steal xp in the first soa chapters and later progresses fast being a single class, maybe having many chap 2 quests done but without getting the reward can help her to catch up even faster, at the cost of doing spellhood and underdark with a lower level party, as also the other ones delay the moment they get those rewards.
    or maybe a dedicated main mage can be completely skipped, after all end game aerie + jan mean 5 lev 9 spells.

i think that it can be an interesting party for those that like to use a thief at full potential, to buff their toons instead of relying on dedicated fighters, that need less maintenance being more point and click.
    i agree that for some players it can be a nightmare run, but it is actually the way i like more to play the game. i had before experience of running 2 bards in not EE, they was 2 blades as there the songs stack, and i was quite impressed by the results, i will report how it works in EE.
    @Skatan
    also the AoP give -1 casting time, and is not restricted to mages, but is true that getting -2 trough the amulet and the chain mail is better :)
    an example: DUHM, that last only 10 rounds so has to be applied again in long battles, has casting time of 2, stacking the amulet and chain it has casting time of 0
    if it is better then using an armor that grant bettter AC, and a cleric can use the best ones, depends on the play style and role in the party, also i had parties where the drow items was not so beneficial as others where was very useful
    SkatanJuliusBorisov