Skip to content

Ask Beamdog

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Raduziel Chill dude. Missed deadlines are a minor thing. Especially when Beamdog has always eventaully delivered. You are getting way worked up over very minor things.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    I don't have access to the iOS version of NWN:EE (it is still in development) so I don't know for sure, but at the moment I think @Kamigoroshi is correct.
    I was hoping for some good news.. but this would be awesome. Is it a confirmation of its coming - or is it just wishful thinking? I thought the renderer could break the whole thing?
    If it’s coming for iOS I am 100% ready to play test it - if you where in doubt B)

@realshemp
    Yes Luke93s guide is awesome, and modding is manageable.

But getting to the ipa file is not done easily, and I as well have a special cpu just for the old iTunes version. If it could be done with less hassle I would be ready.

And IWD:ee and PST:ee doesn’t recognise the mods at the moment. New patches are needed for that, and hopefully they won’t close the door on modding further.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Of course, NWN:EE on iOS is coming. The teams working on the renderer, the dev build(s) and the iOS port, while they cooperate, are different.
    StummvonBordwehr
    Awesome. Just awesome <3

So let me get this straight? If we ask questions in this thread, we can get answers. Who would have known :D
    JuliusBorisov
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    edited October 2019
    Staran wrote: »
    To be clear mods for nwn= haks and overrides?
    As well as fan modules, portraits, voice sets, custom .tlk's and whatnot. Also most PW's that require CEP, PRC or other mods to work properly. It's likely though that future iOS NwN players will run into the same modding limitations that the iOS IE:EE modders faced. Only time will tell.

This is something I brought up over a year ago. I didn’t see how iOS would allow overrides and hacks. They said « why not? Just have a directory structure on google or Apple files that the game reads ».
    I thought « if you say so »...

So all we can do is play the campaigns and premium modules only.
    Unless I do a complicated set of instructions which I would never do.
    No point waiting for that. I guess I need to buy a new pc
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    So all we can do is play the campaigns and premium modules only.
    Unless I do a complicated set of instructions which I would never do.
    Yes I think that's pretty much what it will be boiling down to. At least in the case of singleplayers. IDK, multiplayers may or may not have access to PW's that don't require custom assets to work. Same situation with the console ports, only without any chance to mod at all.
    I have another question regarding iOS:

As stated above, modding iOS is possible. But we need access to the override folder. The override folder has been accessible on all titles. But since 2.5 IWD and PST doesn’t acknowledge the override.

Has the problem behind the lack of acknowledgement been identified?

And will the accessibility/acknowledgment be restored in 2.6 for the EE products?

And will the accessibility/acknowledgment be a feature for the NwN:ee for iOS?

I will be happy to test it for you if you need some testers. Although Luke93 and others may be more helpful at that...
  • Match451Match451 Member Posts: 54
    Do you guys do any testing on NWN, or infinity engine games at 4K resolution? I've noticed a number of bugs, such as buttons and the clickable areas for said buttons not lining up. Also, NWN seems stuck in windowed mode.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Match451 wrote: »
    Do you guys do any testing on NWN, or infinity engine games at 4K resolution? I've noticed a number of bugs, such as buttons and the clickable areas for said buttons not lining up. Also, NWN seems stuck in windowed mode.

Please report these issues via our Service Desk. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/77036/beamdog-support-is-moving-to-service-desk#latest NWN:EE lets you try the dev build.
  • MusaabMusaab Member Posts: 92
    With the console versions coming...will we be getting 2.6 on the PC?

As stated above, modding iOS is possible. But we need access to the override folder. The override folder has been accessible on all titles. But since 2.5 IWD and PST doesn’t acknowledge the override.

And will the accessibility/acknowledgment be restored in 2.6 for the EE products?

I will be happy to test it for you if you need some testers. Although Luke93 and others may be more helpful at that...

Don't know about 2.6 but I have managed to get some additional info about NWN:EE on iOS. There are certain iOS apps (like book/document readers) which allow players to add files to their device through iTunes. We're trying to support that functionality on iOS for NWN:EE. At the moment, we are not ready to confirm how exactly it will work.
    StummvonBordwehr
    Musaab wrote: »

The timeline for 2.6 is different from the console release. That said, of course, the actual release of the console versions tomorrow means we're closer to the 2.6 patch.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • MothorMothor Member Posts: 244

The timeline for 2.6 is different from the console release. That said, of course, the actual release of the console versions tomorrow means we're closer to the 2.6 patch.

But does it mean that the PC version will get stuff that PS4 users won't get due to the extra development time?

Or does it mean that the PS4 version is what the PC version will be after the 2.6 update (and nothing more) with the extra waiting not being used to improve/add anything more and mostly due to NDA reasons?
    Mothor wrote: »

But does it mean that the PC version will get stuff that PS4 users won't get due to the extra development time?

Or does it mean that the PS4 version is what the PC version will be after the 2.6 update (and nothing more) with the extra waiting not being used to improve/add anything more and mostly due to NDA reasons?

The exact list of changes for the 2.6 is still to be evaluated and created. At this moment, the changes to the games to make them work on console mean that console and PC/mobile versions won't be the same, build-wise.
    StummvonBordwehr
    Question: what is the likelyhood of the mobile and desktop versions getting the console port's controller support somewhere down the line?

I'd certainly be interested in playing my android IwD copy via a ergonomic bluetooth controller rather than needing to grab the 10“ tablet itself for the whole play session.
    onelasttry84
  • BorgildarkmtnBorgildarkmtn Member Posts: 1
    Why is there no multiplayer for BG 1/2 for console??? The original has it and multiple other systems have it. Why remove that capability from the releases for the new consoles?
  • LiamChgoLiamChgo Member Posts: 44
    It's been almost 2 months since Tyrants was released on Steam, and about a month since it showed up on GoG. When will it be released on your own site? Those of us that support Beamdog are eagerly awaiting it.
    Why is there no multiplayer for BG 1/2 for console??? The original has it and multiple other systems have it. Why remove that capability from the releases for the new consoles?

Our 1st priority was to make 1st person experience the best it could be. We're still interested in exploring MP options for these games, but the challenge is great. Rest assured Neverwinter Nights for consoles will support MP online.
    LiamChgo wrote: »
    It's been almost 2 months since Tyrants was released on Steam, and about a month since it showed up on GoG. When will it be released on your own site? Those of us that support Beamdog are eagerly awaiting it.

We hear you. Just not enough manpower, I guess.
    Question: what is the likelyhood of the mobile and desktop versions getting the console port's controller support somewhere down the line?

I'd certainly be interested in playing my android IwD copy via a ergonomic bluetooth controller rather than needing to grab the 10“ tablet itself for the whole play session.

No plans at the moment, but maybe that can change in the future.

Don't know about 2.6 but I have managed to get some additional info about NWN:EE on iOS. There are certain iOS apps (like book/document readers) which allow players to add files to their device through iTunes. We're trying to support that functionality on iOS for NWN:EE. At the moment, we are not ready to confirm how exactly it will work.

if nwn for iOS only has the ability to play the official campaign and premium modules that would be disappointing, but it is a restriction on the hardware.

On iOS, you have the files app. Nwn can’t Read/write to that files system? Or create the system in google drive to read write to?
    Or have a download system like steam has?
    If you can buy and download premium content to the nwn files, you can’t do the same to regular modules in a steam workshop like system?
  • KOOLCOOKOOLCOO Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I dont know if anyone asked yet, but will we get acces to the new ,,console UI,, and the controler support on PC

if nwn for iOS only has the ability to play the official campaign and premium modules that would be disappointing, but it is a restriction on the hardware.

On iOS, you have the files app. Nwn can’t Read/write to that files system? Or create the system in google drive to read write to?
    Or have a download system like steam has?
    If you can buy and download premium content to the nwn files, you can’t do the same to regular modules in a steam workshop like system?

This sounds too specific and hard to explain till the version is out, because it's impossible to clarify till we see how everything works.
    KOOLCOO wrote: »
    Hello, I dont know if anyone asked yet, but will we get acces to the new ,,console UI,, and the controler support on PC

There are no plans at the moment regarding adding the controller support to the PC versions.

This sounds too specific and hard to explain till the version is out, because it's impossible to clarify till we see how everything works..

Not to put too fine of a point on it, but it is unlikely the developers are working on an island and don’t tell anyone of their plans. It is also strains credulity that a year into this endeavour nobody mentioned to anyone that the entire point of nwn will be lost to people playing iOS. And that the very first time anyone will ever know if player made content will be available is when the game goes gold for iOS.

But I realize that this information is simply not available at this time.
    The intent is to let users install all the files via iTunes, including hak files. This feature, however, needs to be tested before it can be confirmed.
    Staran
  • onelasttry84onelasttry84 Member Posts: 52

There are no plans at the moment regarding adding the controller support to the PC versions.

This seems like such a wasted opportunity, I think. Any Idea how hard it would be to implement? Would it maybe be possible to realize this with an UI mod? Not that I could do it, I wouldn't even know where to start...
    Kamigoroshi
    I can only speculate about the difficulty of that. "We rewrote our movement code to let players take control of the party movement using the analog stick, instead of pointing and clicking, and changed those banks of buttons into radial menus. To make interacting with a game world that had a lot of pixel hunting, we improved highlighting of in-game objects and a system that snaps the cursor to important game elements, like characters, objects and transition points. We had to make a lot of design decisions to solve issues that seem so harmless when you have the fine control of a mouse and keyboard. <...>One question we get asked a lot is whether we implemented touchscreen functionality. It was a hard decision to make, but with the changes made to the game’s UI, and the general finickiness of Baldur’s Gate’s UI under the hood (we are working with 20-year-old UI code), it actually felt like a half measure to leave it in, when much of the original functionality would have been lost. The feature that the Switch does boast that nobody else does and is most exciting, though, is the great feel of the controller scheme, paired with the portability of the Switch, which we support in both docked and undocked modes." from here.

This sounds like the controller method changes the controls fundamentally, and I don't know how it can co-exist with the mouse & keyboard (PC) or touchscreen (mobile) functionality in the same build.
    onelasttry84Kamigoroshi
    The main requirement would be to include a toggleable point to swap between both input configurations ingame. That in itself is rather simple for a coder to do. Modifying the GUI's Configuration menu accordingly should probably pose as the most time consuming factor of that.

That's it, really. The hard part of figuring out how the IE could work with controllers is already done. Now we just need that toggle to have the best of both worlds. Wouldn't be the first PC game or console backport to have both input choices either.
    onelasttry84
  • SorrowSeerSorrowSeer Member Posts: 144
    @JuliusBorisov

Since You implemented controller support - will games (BG,IWD,etc.) be available for Nvidia Shield TV?
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    So, we're 9 months into this thread, and currently on page 15, not counting the posts in the offshoot page.

Has anyone made a list of the Answers that were actually provided in this thread (other than "Maybe" and "We don't know at this time"), that have not since then been recalled?
    themazingnessRaduzielfetito666SorrowSeer
  • EddsterEddster Member Posts: 14
    First off, I’m a big fan of the Enhanced Editions you’ve done to bring back some of my most fondly remembered games as a teenager, keep up the great work. I’ve always looked to support you where I can in terms of buying your products and am wondering if you have any plans to port Axis & Allies to any other platforms once it leaves Early Access?
    JuliusBorisov