Skip to content

Ask Beamdog

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Eddster wrote: »
    First off, I’m a big fan of the Enhanced Editions you’ve done to bring back some of my most fondly remembered games as a teenager, keep up the great work. I’ve always looked to support you where I can in terms of buying your products and am wondering if you have any plans to port Axis & Allies to any other platforms once it leaves Early Access?

Not ready to share about that yet.
    Thels wrote: »
    So, we're 9 months into this thread, and currently on page 15, not counting the posts in the offshoot page.

Has anyone made a list of the Answers that were actually provided in this thread (other than "Maybe" and "We don't know at this time"), that have not since then been recalled?

This type of posts has been recently moved to the Off-Topic area. Please don't.

There is a new interview available which mentions a few topics (not related to the console port), from NWN 2 to IWD 2.

https://rpgamer.com/2019/10/beamdog-dd-enhanced-edition-console-releases-interview/
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    So, we're 9 months into this thread, and currently on page 15, not counting the posts in the offshoot page.

Has anyone made a list of the Answers that were actually provided in this thread (other than "Maybe" and "We don't know at this time"), that have not since then been recalled?

This type of posts has been recently moved to the Off-Topic area. Please don't.

Wait, what?

Since it's been quite a while that this thread is open, and since it has quite a few posts by now, some of which are spread over all the threads, I was curious if there is a list of all the actual feedback we've received since the start of the thread. It would be interesting to read through it and familiarize myself with it again, since I've probably forgotten about some of the stuff...
    SorrowSeer
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Questions:

- why is Ossian Studios not doing any promotion on Tyrants of the Moonsea? The last thing they promoted (on their website and Facebook at least is DoD:EE)
    - why is it so difficult to release modules on all platforms at the same time and especially why it is so difficult to release it on your own platform?
    - Will patch 2.6 be distributed across all platforms at the same time or will there be deviations?
    DerpCity
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    Any plans for nwn ee to show up in the App Store “coming soon” section prior to release?
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    Ask Beamdog:

Why can't Rasaad use quarterstaves when he has one right on his freakin' portrait?
    Timbo0o0o0
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Member Posts: 100
    I have a technical question for Beamdog.

How do the Baldur's Gate save files stay so relatively small? It looks like on the highest end of things they stay around 700k.

I understand that it's an old game but I can see significant challenges in spite of this that might've been tough even back in 1998. The main thing in my mind would be saving the fog of war for every single map, the unique way that each player has explored each map and the bits they've left unexplored (intentionally or unintentionally). All I can think of is saving a black and white bitmap for every single area in the game, over 60 of them. I guess they would be very compressable but that's still a lot of them.

Or if that's not the main thing that eats up save file space, what is?

By contrast I've poked around in the saves for modern games in this style like Pathfinder Kingmaker...just one of my saves is about 68 megabytes. And there do seem to be a lot of fog of war image files, theirs are a more complex blurred image that takes up quite a bit of space. I think that game does less efficient cleanup on old enemy corpses lying around, items scattered around the maps, etc.
    Timbo0o0o0
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited October 2019
    Rodrian wrote: »
    Ask Beamdog:

Why can't Rasaad use quarterstaves when he has one right on his freakin' portrait?

I think I can cover this one.

It's not a Rasaad issue but a monk issue.

As a creature have a limited number of animations something had to be sacrificed to introduce the monk's kick animation and that sacrifice was two-handed weapon animations (quarterstaff included).

As far as I remember this was not an EE decision, but something made by Bioware way back when BG2 was released.
    ThacoBellTimbo0o0o0
    @Raduziel and what about Artemius_I's House Rule Tweaks and the component "Monks can use Quarterstaves"?
    It's seems doable at least, so my question for Beamdog is rather why they haven't "fixed" it yet?
    Kamigoroshi
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Raduziel and what about Artemius_I's House Rule Tweaks and the component "Monks can use Quarterstaves"?
    It's seems doable at least, so my question for Beamdog is rather why they haven't "fixed" it yet?

Because a bunch of purists would say that Beamdog ruined the game so this kind of altering is better to be left to modders.
    Blackbɨrd

Looking at the post that describes how the fix is accomplished it is definitely a hacky kludge (hence saying it fixes it "sort of"). Officially released content should avoid special cases and weird workarounds like this as much as possible (that way lies spaghetti), and to "do it right" would likely be prohibitively time consuming for literally one tiny detail for one single class build equipping one weapon.

Judging from your original post it sounds like you would be equally satisfied if they simply edited Rassad's portrait to remove the staff.
    ThacoBell
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    When will Zaviak become a joinable NPC/Party Member?

@JuliusBorisov
  • SuperDudeSuperDude Member Posts: 3
    Will the path-finding issues be fixed in the upcoming patch? I haven't played BG2 for more than a year because of this.
    RaduzielVasculioSorrowSeerTimbo0o0o0
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    edited November 2019
    You know it's been a while it wasn't asked

so do we have an eta for 2.6 or not

I know I won't get answered but I'm here to poke a bit

No harm intended. :P

Edit:@SuperDude try the "solution" here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1096206#Comment_1096206

Right now it is the best available option.
    lefreutSorrowSeer
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    I just want to know what all are they adding to prolong the fixes?
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    Vasculio wrote: »
    I just want to know what all are they adding to prolong the fixes?

Guess it's legit to hope for extra/bonus features...
    Vasculio
    It's very likely that much of their time has been taken up getting the console versions ready for release (and now preparing an initial round of bug fixes for those versions).
    Arthas
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Arthas wrote: »
    You know it's been a while it wasn't asked

so do we have an eta for 2.6 or not

I know I won't get answered but I'm here to poke a bit

No harm intended. :P

Edit:@SuperDude try the "solution" here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1096206#Comment_1096206

Right now it is the best available option.

Wasn't there an announcement from BeamDog somewhere in 2018ish, where they mentioned that they wanted to steer away from large patches with a lot of time between them to small patches that are released more frequently?
    realshemp
  • Now I've been wondering about this for awhile now, so here goes. Will there ever be a chance of us getting an Enhanced Edition version of the Dungeon Siege series? (1 and 2) So far the versions on steam don't really work very well if at all and I would absolutely love to play them on my current pc without having to jump through these confusing hoops just to play the games I grew up with.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    Wasn't there an announcement from BeamDog somewhere in 2018ish, where they mentioned that they wanted to steer away from large patches with a lot of time between them to small patches that are released more frequently?

They said multiple times that they will move to smaller and quicker patches. And they failed to keep there promises every single time...
    majberrealshempAdul
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Now I've been wondering about this for awhile now, so here goes. Will there ever be a chance of us getting an Enhanced Edition version of the Dungeon Siege series? (1 and 2) So far the versions on steam don't really work very well if at all and I would absolutely love to play them on my current pc without having to jump through these confusing hoops just to play the games I grew up with.

Beamdog is moving to its own games, rather than the enhanced editions. Axis & Allies 1942 Online is the first of them. https://www.beamdog.com/news/happy-10th-birthday-beamdog/
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    I got only one hope about the patch, that it comes before Christmas, at worst before the new year. It would be a cool present.
    RodrianVasculio
  • ZackelZackel Member Posts: 20
    Still no ETA yet?
    Come on guys, at least a quick patch to fix pathfinding pretty please ?
  • Ugly_DuckUgly_Duck Member Posts: 179
    When will there be a fix for the NVIDIA driver issue? I want to use the newest driver for my gpu but then I cannot use the toolset.. I don't like having to uninstall/reinstall the different drivers to play games.

Please, any idea or feedback?
    Ugly_Duck wrote: »
    When will there be a fix for the NVIDIA driver issue? I want to use the newest driver for my gpu but then I cannot use the toolset.. I don't like having to uninstall/reinstall the different drivers to play games.

Please, any idea or feedback?

Not sure Beamdog can do anything regarding that. The Toolset thread offers a workaround.
  • fetito666fetito666 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 204
    I just hope that they survive without D&D licence, because I really like their Enhanced Editions. Hopefully, the console ports will sell well. Moreover, on the Asian market Baldurs Gate will be kinda "exotic" <3
    Rodrian
    The moderation team is evaluating recent comments from several threads on the forum. Please don't discuss moderation and if you have questions, send a PM to moderators.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/63570/forum-guidelines

Also, please don't use this thread to comment about the forum, because the topic of this thread is different.

Carry on.
    jasteysemiticgoddess
    Beamdog lost their D&D / Wizards license? Ouu, they're really dead now :|
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    Beamdog lost their D&D / Wizards license? Ouu, they're really dead now :|

Source?
    @fetito666 source?