Skip to content

NWN Toolset: Enhanced Edition. Try the new updates and share your feedback

Comments

• TheCapuletTheCapulet Member Posts: 43
    edited October 2019
    I've noticed that as well. It's been pretty consistent throughout these experimental builds.

I've also put up a new bug report on an issue I haven't reported on in a long time:
    https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/41074

This happens in the regular toolset builds as well though.
    dunahan
    Is it possible that we could get a setting to disable effects in preview windows? Things like fire, lightning, door transitions, fog vfx, water vfx, light emission, etc.
    shadguydunahan
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Did they "dehardcoded" spells and classes, allowing a easier implementation of mods that make the game more pnp-like?
  • virusmanvirusman Member, Developer Posts: 173
    Did they "dehardcoded" spells and classes, allowing a easier implementation of mods that make the game more pnp-like?
    This thread is only for Toolset beta discussion. Please create a separate thread for other questions.
    JuliusBorisov
    Seriously Virusman, if you need help pinning down the preview window crash, I'm all yours. I'll install whatever logging software you need. I'm available to discuss it anywhere, any time, and I can follow whatever directions you have to help figure it out. Hell, you can outright RDC into my PC and do it yourself, if you want. It's happening on both intel and AMD gpus with the latest drivers, btw. I'd love to just get some damn work done. lol
  • RananRanan Member Posts: 34
    edited October 2019
    Here to report a bug with the latest version of the stable build for the toolset
    The visual effect fields for weapon glow appearances are all blank, I am using CEP, however this was not the case in the previous build for the toolset. Overall not a big issue.

I'd also like to say thanks for working so diligently to get the bugs fixed that are reported here. I previously reported issues with naming areas and with faction standings and these were fixed with the latest version of toolset that was posted. It feels good to know that you guys are attentive to the bugs posted here and to see the toolset continue to become even better.
    shadguy
    TheCapulet wrote: »
    Seriously Virusman, if you need help pinning down the preview window crash, I'm all yours. I'll install whatever logging software you need. I'm available to discuss it anywhere, any time, and I can follow whatever directions you have to help figure it out. Hell, you can outright RDC into my PC and do it yourself, if you want. It's happening on both intel and AMD gpus with the latest drivers, btw. I'd love to just get some damn work done. lol
    I've responded in the Redmine ticket. A test module would be most useful at this point.
    Ranan wrote: »
    Here to report a bug with the latest version of the stable build for the toolset
    The visual effect fields for weapon glow appearances are all blank, I am using CEP, however this was not the case in the previous build for the toolset. Overall not a big issue.
    Thank you for the report. Can you open a Redmine issue with a test module and a screenshot of what's wrong? We can continue tracking it there.
    JuliusBorisov
    I've responded in the Redmine ticket. A test module would be most useful at this point.

And I know it's kind of a smartass move, but I'll attach one. Fair warning though, it's literally a base empty module with area001. But to make up for it, I'll do you one better and post a screen capture of it happening. I'll post these there as well, but to repro:

Open any module at all, or create a new one.

Open up an area so that you can view the palette.

Open the placables menu and select vfx: fire.

Place it down and open it's properties, or edit a copy directly from the palette.

Close property window.

Crash.

Or... Follow steps 1 and 2, and then:

Place down any normal placable. For instance, an arrow-filled corpse.

Open the object's properties window.

Change it's appearance from arrow-filled corpse to Brazier (The next emitter based plc in the list)

Close properties window.

Crash.

OR...

Open the area transition wizard, and select an area that already contains doors.

Close area transition wizard.

Crash.

JuliusBorisovSylvus_MoonbowVictorixxx
    Getting this debug error exactly when I try to close the window under crash conditions. No idea what it means though:
    ERROR_INVALID_HANDLE

EAX 7EFDD000
    ECX C0000008
    EDX 00000000
    EBX 00000000
    ESP 0018F2A0
    EBP 0018F2D0
    ESI 00003C74
    EDI 0018F320
    EIP 772E647C ntdll.RtlNtStatusToDosErrorNoTeb
    C 0  ES 002B 32bit 0(FFFFFFFF)
    P 1  CS 0023 32bit 0(FFFFFFFF)
    A 0  SS 002B 32bit 0(FFFFFFFF)
    Z 1  DS 002B 32bit 0(FFFFFFFF)
    S 0  FS 0053 32bit 7EFDD000(FFF)
    T 0  GS 002B 32bit 0(FFFFFFFF)
    D 0
    O 0  LastErr ERROR_INVALID_HANDLE (00000006)
    EFL 00200246 (NO,NB,E,BE,NS,PE,GE,LE)
    ST0 empty 2.5896094931380327000e+16
    ST1 empty 8.2275135693180118900e+17
    ST2 empty 3.2088581322225792000e+16
    ST3 empty 8.2320985335336921200e+17
    ST4 empty 2.8429436510666849000e+16
    ST5 empty 1.0000000000000000000
    ST6 empty -0.0425155535764440984
    ST7 empty 0.2500000000000000000
                   3 2 1 0      E S P U O Z D I
    FST 4020  Cond 1 0 0 0  Err 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0  (EQ)
    FCW 137F  Prec NEAR,64  Mask    1 1 1 1 1 1

Victorixxx
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited October 2019
    I have a suggestion to slightly tweak one of the new features introduced with this version of the toolset. Prior to this release you could place something (e.g. item/placeable/etc.) into an area and use the scroll wheel to zoom in to view it close-up. Doing so now results in the thing in question being "resized" instead. Would it not be possible to make it so that you have to use a Hot-Key (e.g. Left-Alt) in combination with the scroll wheel to enable this resizing? As it stands I find this gets very annoying really fast.

Thanks.

TR
    Grizzled_Dwarflorddunahan
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    I am using the retail version of the beta toolset because the module is intended for release.

Two bugs. The first is an update on the adjust location one I mentioned a while ago. Using the up/down spinner to change the value of an angle behaves like this. First click - nothing happens at all. Second click initiates a change but if you are using the down arrow it initially increases the value by one instead of decreasing it. After that further clicks on this arrow reduce the value as it is supposed to do.

The second bug is as follows. Occasionally (and for no apparent reason) the toolset now decides to give a newly created area a resref of 'Area' instead of anything related to the actual name of the area. I only noticed this because the tabs apparently use the resref for the name of each tab.

TR
    dunahan
  • BalanorBalanor Member Posts: 176
    edited October 2019
    Editing a custom creature will pop it out of the subcategory it is in and put it under the "Monsters" category in alphabetical order at the same level as Aberrations, Animals, Constructs, etc, etc. They remain there even after closing and relaunching the toolset, but it seems doing a Refresh Palette on the Monsters category will pop them back into the correct subcategories they were located.
    Post edited by Balanor on
    @TarotRedhand This happens when there are spaces or non-standard characters in the name. It's always been like this. It's better to create the area with the initial name of the resref you want it to have (For instance tarot_area instead of Tarot Redhand's Area), and then change it after area creation.

And the resize scroll wheel function already uses a hotkey. left control + scroll wheel. Just tested this myself to make sure it wasn't a regression.
    dunahan
    @virusman Is there anything else I can do to help get to the bottom of the preview window crash?
    Victorixxx
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited November 2019
    @virusman Can we get clicking the x to be the same as exiting normally. When I'm doing testing I need to get in and out fast so just click the x of the window. It faster then dropdown and faster then shortcut keys to me. Current stable version has this. Maybe make it a setting.
    Getting Access violation at address 005297df in module
    read address 00000010 when exiting in basic module or just the program in general (no matter what way I exit).
    This is in steam latest dev version.
    As for the preview window I do not get crashes, but get the model flashing in out.
  • VictorixxxVictorixxx Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2019
    Why is any version of the toolset that I am installing unstable? If I start editing the properties of any object, then when saving the toolbox freezes and I have to kill the process! Why it happens? I have Windows 7 64 bit Ultra, the game was bought in GOG!
    6b4achtt5gfl.jpg

TheCapulet has the same problem as I see!
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1100436/#Comment_110043

Post edited by Victorixxx on
    Know how to post your DXDiag? I'd be interested in seeing what similarities there are between us.
  • VictorixxxVictorixxx Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2019
    TheCapulet wrote: »
    Know how to post your DXDiag? I'd be interested in seeing what similarities there are between us.
    May be just press F to pa... screenshot? :D I don't think it will help, there is clearly the case in the work of the toolset...

Thanks for updating nwn effects! Will you still do something similar for other effects? You did that, didn't you? :)
    https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/visual-effect/explosion-vfx-override
    Yeah, I will. I plan on doing all the flames and smoke vfx soon.
    Ok, so for our system similarities, we're both running Win7 64-bit, we're both running HD6xxx series AMD video cards, and both using 2nd gen Core processors. Comparing with another DXdiag someone sent me with the same error, win7 and an older gen core processor is the only similarity.

I don't think the GPU/video driver is affecting it at all, since it seems to show up either way whether you're using AMD or intel GFX.
    Preview window crash still there after update.
    Victorixxx
  • jimdad55jimdad55 Member Posts: 75
    Asked by Julius to post the following comments here:

Hmm, I have an iMac and use WINE to build with the toolset, then can either test the module from the toolset or launch the game natively on the Mac.

I'm obviously aware that I can't update to the latest Mac OS Catalina or I'll no longer be able to use the toolset using WINE due to the 64 bit issue. However, I was fine with that.

Today, I launched the game and Steam automatically downloaded the new version of the game. This has left me still able to use the toolset but unable to use Test Module from the toolset. I have to launch the game separately and go in that way.

I'm now worried that at some point it will automatically update my toolset leaving me completely unable to use it. Btw. I tried to look for a way to disable auto updates but was presented only with update automatically or update when I launch the game and no option to turn off completely ! Am I missing something?
  • grom56grom56 Member Posts: 109
    @TheCapulet : Just wanted to jump in here a second... I use win10 and have had the crashes for months now. At first it was when I tried to set doors in place and the thing always locked up when saving. Now it locks up even when moving from one area to view to another. Seems to me the issue has gotten worse not better and is not only a win7 issue. I had of course reported this months ago, but also of course have never gotten a reply. I just flat out stopped using the toolset. Only tried it again when the new update went through. Still not gonna use the toolset anymore. It's done trashed.
    Unfortunately, since it's an ATI driver + renderer issue, it is impossible to debug without having the hardware in question.
    Sylvus_Moonbow
    edited December 2019
    Think you could convince the guys to fund this to test with?

(The exact card in question)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/XFX-Radeon-Hd-6950-2GB/113911897811?hash=item1a85ad9ed3:g:nKkAAOSwvIldliso
    (A slightly cheaper option)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sapphire-Radeon-HD6950-2GB-GDDR5-PCie-Video-Card/184030149828?hash=item2ad90d3cc4:g:890AAOSwqtRdx6pH

If not, I'm willing to walk through the steps you'd take to test it locally and screen-capture what happens, or even let you remote connect in and do whatever you need to do.

Also, keep in mind, this is happening on older intel integrated GPUs as well. So I'm not totally convinced it's an AMD issue.
    Victorixxx
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    The new 1.79 toolset does not play area music or day/night ambient sounds.
    The new 1.79 toolset does not play area music or day/night ambient sounds.
    This should be fixed in the next build.
    JuliusBorisovSylvus_Moonbow
  • NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    edited December 2019
    Not sure if this has already been discussed but I keep getting 2 different error messages followed by crashes. If I have multiple areas open in tabs, move the start location, then close one of the other area tabs. I am able to reproduce it.

p.s. Running Steam version which is up to date/latest patch.

Not 100% sure if vanilla or modded area matters but this one keeps happening with vanilla areas:
    VIeMYOU.png

And this one when I move the start location to a modded area:
    WlKT9XM.png
    Post edited by NeverwinterWights on
    Not sure if this has already been discussed but I keep getting 2 different error messages followed by crashes. If I have multiple areas open in tabs, move the start location, then close one of the other area tabs. I am able to reproduce it.

p.s. Running Steam version which is up to date/latest patch.

Not 100% sure if vanilla or modded area matters but this one keeps happening with vanilla areas:
    VIeMYOU.png

And this one when I move the start location to a modded area:
    WlKT9XM.png
    Thank you. I was able to reproduce the issue and I've added this to the list of bugs to fix.
    NeverwinterWightsJuliusBorisov
    edited December 2019
    @NeverwinterWights This should be fixed in the next build.
    JuliusBorisovNeverwinterWightsJFK