Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Console Feedback

Comments

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Member Posts: 100
    I found a semi-serious bug which I made a thread about here for more info.

• EddsterEddster Member Posts: 14
    First things first, the console ports are AMAZING. As someone who’s spent countless hundreds of hours across the games over 20 years, playing the game on switch lite feels wonderful and intuitive. It actually felt like I was playing the game for the first time over again.

I cannot state enough what an incredible job you’ve done with this port Beamdog and as someone who can only game on mobile devices these days I can’t thank you enough for it.

The only real points I have have been brought up already with the size of the cutscenes and the size of the text on the world map. Having the facility to zoom in and out here would remove the issue if that’s easy enough to implement?

Great job as always guys.
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrAron
  • KV1KV1 Member Posts: 2
    KV1 wrote: »
    Xbox One Baldur's Gate.....my party members suddenly have their names and hit points above their heads on the game screen (not the portraits...but actually as they walk about). How do I get rid of this?

I answered this just a few posts above. The buttons aren't the same as on Switch but the method is the same. Click the red gem in party actions UI.

Thanks Uncle Sporky...will give it a try. Appreciated!
    Another recommendation...

When you're choosing spells to forget, the icons on the bottom of the screen are very tiny and hard to tell apart, especially on the Switch! I always have to spend a minute deciphering what spells I'm looking at before I remove them. It would be great if the currently selected spell could be named somewhere on the screen. My recommendation would be to just print the whole spell description on the empty right page of the spellbook.

RWKAeUw.jpg
    JuliusBorisovspacejaws
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    Hey guys. I’m loving this console version. I have a small issue that I don’t think I’ve seen pointed out. It may be an intended action but it seems odd. Often when I am walking the whole party using the stick, if an enemy appears or a group of bad guys appears once I select a foe for the whole team to attack they will all attack but once that foe goes down Ajantis or Minsc will then decide to turn around and run back to the spot they was in before the fight started even if there is a large group to deal with. It’s then easily fixed by pausing and giving them another action but it can often leave my Charname out numbers on his own by a hoard lol
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    byrne20 wrote: »
    Hey guys. I’m loving this console version. I have a small issue that I don’t think I’ve seen pointed out. It may be an intended action but it seems odd. Often when I am walking the whole party using the stick, if an enemy appears or a group of bad guys appears once I select a foe for the whole team to attack they will all attack but once that foe goes down Ajantis or Minsc will then decide to turn around and run back to the spot they was in before the fight started even if there is a large group to deal with. It’s then easily fixed by pausing and giving them another action but it can often leave my Charname out numbers on his own by a hoard lol

Characters return to the formation set for them. This is a consequence of console AI and pathfinding approaches.
    byrne20
  • Hostile_18Hostile_18 Member Posts: 12
    byrne20 wrote: »

Characters return to the formation set for them. This is a consequence of console AI and pathfinding approaches.

Is this the case with party AI on? Ive never noticed it, but seen some others comment on it here.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    If you disable the party AI, the script should stop, yes.
    Yeah, I have that same problem. I gave up and worked around it by setting the game to pause every time an enemy is killed, so I can click on the enemy right next to them and force everybody to attack them instead of walking back to where they were standing.

It's a bit frustrating.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Hostile_18Hostile_18 Member Posts: 12
    I have party ai on and I've never noticed the characters going back in formation in a battle they normally go from one enemy to the next. (At least I've never noticed it).
  • EddsterEddster Member Posts: 14
    One more thing to note, but not sure if it was intentional but I’ve noticed that the rogue find traps ability disables when you walk as a group (it remains on when you walk solo with the rogue).
    JuliusBorisov
  • kostasmakrinoskostasmakrinos Member Posts: 42
    I've noticed that the combat music does not end properly when combat ends on the Switch version, don't know if this is common on other consoles as well.
    I've noticed that the combat music does not end properly when combat ends on the Switch version, don't know if this is common on other consoles as well.

I would describe the way it's happening as ending properly, from what I understand the old bug that used to happen was that the combat music never stopped at all. Sometimes the music keeps playing a little longer than it should, but it does stop (kind of abruptly cuts off).
    Found a new annoying bug: in The Black Pits, every time you come back to the waiting area/shops after a battle, zoom is broken. You're zoomed out and can't zoom in at all. This makes pre-buffing before entering a fight very frustrating, clicking on the right tiny little character.

Saving and loading the game fixes it temporarily, but it will break again after the next battle. And zoom works properly within every battle, just not in the area between. I would guess this is related to the cutscene wrestling away control of the camera each time.

I'm submitting a bug report for it too.
    JuliusBorisov
  • kostasmakrinoskostasmakrinos Member Posts: 42

I would describe the way it's happening as ending properly, from what I understand the old bug that used to happen was that the combat music never stopped at all. Sometimes the music keeps playing a little longer than it should, but it does stop (kind of abruptly cuts off).

It stops abruptly. It used to play an finishing tune but it's not there anymore, at least on the Switch version that I'm playing.
  • Tommy123Tommy123 Member Posts: 27
    edited November 2019
    How can I make my character attack an enemy until it is dead and then switch to the next one? My character seems to switch targets randomly. In BG 1 I didn't care much about that, but in SoD when fighting trolls this gets really annoying when a troll is almost dead and then my character decides to attack a different enemy and the troll heals back up with regeneration.

Playing on the Switch. I don't remember that the scripts worked like this in the PC version.

It stops abruptly. It used to play an finishing tune but it's not there anymore, at least on the Switch version that I'm playing.

Oh now that is interesting. Yeah, I don't know if I've ever heard a combat finishing tune, and I never played the original version. That would definitely be a bug.
  • GaelicVigilGaelicVigil Member Posts: 111
    Does anyone know what the console 1.02 patch updated? I couldn't find a change log anywhere.
    Does anyone know what the console 1.02 patch updated? I couldn't find a change log anywhere.

It was a localization patch. https://www.beamdog.com/news/voice-localization-update-dd-enhanced-editions-console/
  • Mork04Mork04 Member Posts: 3
    Save file was erase during saving twice now on Nintendo Switch. Rotating 2 saves files is pretty much mandatory for this reason. Around 40h of game play at the moment...
    I have never had a save go catastrophically bad and get erased on the Switch. According to my profile I've played over 75 hours, and probably saved countless times on all 5 files, never had an issue. This is with the physical release of the game; I bought the super ultra special edition from Skybound and got the games sent to me early since the special edition stuff isn't going to be ready until December.

I have had one hard crash to the main menu, and that was when I was sleeping repeatedly and getting ambushed by 15 wild dogs at a time and a lot of stuff was going on at once. I think things got overloaded, and the game had been running for a long time straight too.
    StummvonBordwehr
    Another bit of feedback:

Movement with the left joystick overrides casting spells, so if a party member starts casting healing spells automatically through AI and you don't notice in time, the spell is completely wasted...just because you moved the joystick. This is frustrating, I would much prefer the "you cannot move at this time" message that normally happens. Maybe nothing can be done about this, though.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Ur86dUr86d Member Posts: 2
    On the xbox one, Durlag's tower Chess board bug, can't re-enter that area, teleporting is not being triggered.
    Found another little bug which I'll send in to the bug report portal:

If you manage to pause/interrupt the game while the controller is rumbling it will keep rumbling forever until you unpause. What I mean by "pause" here is doing anything that interrupts the normal time flow of the game, including bringing up the UI wheel menus. Did it by accident and was able to give myself a back massage with the controller.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ravenjt42ravenjt42 Member Posts: 8
    I'm playing as a Cavalier, currently level 4, and I am unable to cast my Cure Light Wounds special ability. The character verbally acknowledges the action, and will even walk up to the party member (if not attempting on self) but no spell is cast. Lay on Hands works fine, though.
    Has anyone else noticed this? Thanks in advance.
    JuliusBorisov
    ravenjt42 wrote: »
    I'm playing as a Cavalier, currently level 4, and I am unable to cast my Cure Light Wounds special ability. The character verbally acknowledges the action, and will even walk up to the party member (if not attempting on self) but no spell is cast. Lay on Hands works fine, though.

Does it still act as if you've used up the ability, the number of uses decreases by 1?

I feel like I've occasionally had some weirdness with special abilities too. My Branwen has two casts of Holy Power and one of Chaos of Battle, and a few times I've gone in to use the first one followed by the second, when instead the game just cast Holy Power twice. I was pretty sure I chose the right ability each time. It might need more testing, there could be an issue with special ability selection.
  • PopkeeperPopkeeper Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, playing BG1 on switch. Amazing so far but I've noticed that while playing a monk I don't seem to get the lvl 5 bonus : resistance to speed/haste & diseases.
  • ravenjt42ravenjt42 Member Posts: 8
    ravenjt42 wrote: »

Does it still act as if you've used up the ability, the number of uses decreases by 1?

I feel like I've occasionally had some weirdness with special abilities too. My Branwen has two casts of Holy Power and one of Chaos of Battle, and a few times I've gone in to use the first one followed by the second, when instead the game just cast Holy Power twice. I was pretty sure I chose the right ability each time. It might need more testing, there could be an issue with special ability selection.

Negative, the ability is unused.
  • IsrafelIsrafel Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone else have strange graphical artifacts in every interior location? Reading through these, nobody else seems to have mentioned it. I'm on an XBox One X. The buildings with Shank and Carbos in them are both like this, and no level of zoom change (or zoom lock) changes this. Other interior locations can be better or worse at different levels of zoom.

The games show up as "Baldurs's Gate I and Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Editions." Please fix that first "Baldurs's" ASAP. It drives me crazy.

Great job with the controls! Although I do note that every time your party kills an enemy the first time in combat, the NPCs all snap back to where they were when combat started, and this has been deadly to my low-level PC mage a few times before I learned to expect it. This seems like an unintended result of the snap-to effect to keep the party together (which I initially found to be unrealistic, but I like it for ease of use on the console).