Skip to content

I don't like the loot bar

1235»

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited November 2019
    realshemp wrote: »
    I don’t like the loot bar either.....I luv it!!!

The feature is essential when playing the game on 2 by 4 inch touch pad screen (iOS).
    The feature is by no mean a waste of time and effort, but a must have for tablets
    (and consoles I’d reckon).

Beamdig has planned carefully for the cross platform performance - and rightfully so. The game is great on both console and tablet.
    Thank you for that Beamdog.

Is still have the original cd’s (and I bought a new used set when the first set where worn down). If I want 100% nostalgia I can play the old ones, if a want a new enhanced edition I play the new game - it truly is enhanced and still paying 100 % homage to the old game imho.

Ps. The old games are shelved in the attic if you must know.

I disagree... I play on iOS and absolutely NEVER use the loot bar. I'm just glad that it's optional, if it was always on I doubt I would have continued to play these games.

In an RPG, especially one based on DnD, the PC should ABSOLUTELY have to search every body in the area to find that one specific item they are looking for. I play these games to get as close to a tabletop RPG experience as possible, and things like the loot bar and larger stacks and passing inventory around during battle all take away from this feel.

The level of realism you want would make for an absolutely awesome RPG. I'm just not sure that most players nowadays would agree with you since they're used to console gaming. Also, since I'm in my 50's I appreciate efforts to save what little time I have left!

Edit: I would definitely play a D&D game with the P&P realism you want. I'd just need to have a much more realistic engine to work with than any I've seen so far...
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    The level of realism you want would make for an absolutely awesome RPG. I'm just not sure that most players nowadays would agree with you since they're used to console gaming. Also, since I'm in my 50's I appreciate efforts to save what little time I have left!

I think it's due to changes in our preferences as we age and life piles on more responsibilities, as well as the fact that we can now see behind the scenes and recognise certain game design methodologies for their true purpose. I remember when I was a kid and I had TONS of free time, I used to love just wandering around an area (in JRPGs) and fighting random encounters over and over to level my characters. These days? The veteran gamer in me recognizes that it was "padding" designed to keep the player playing longer without having to really put in new content. And likewise, the kid me would have happily spent 30 mins mashing the Reroll button for my stats until I got one that I liked. These days, I ain't got time for that, so I'm just firing up EEKeeper and editing my stats to what I want. :P
    Balrog99
  • StromaelStromael Member Posts: 195
    edited November 2019
    Dev6 wrote: »
    Yeah dude, casting a fireball against a troll is realistic as hell. That's exactly what D&D games are, realistic.
    lol
    I think they mean realism within the rules and scope of the D&D world.

Fireballs? OK.

Trolls? Fine.

Teleport-looting every body in sight? I think most DMs wouldn't allow it...

As a convenience feature I love having the option, since my time to play the games is limited and it allows me to skip the more boring parts of play.

But I fully understand why others wouldn't want it. Simple solution: don't use it.

Edit: I should mention however that I don't use it during combat, precisely because it breaks the realism in a bad way, making the tactical game easier. But to speed up the arduous task of looting afterwards, it's a real blessing, to me.
    Balrog99