Skip to content

[HOW TO] Install mods on iOS devices (NO Jailbreak)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisovIllustairStummvonBordwehr
  • CruelIntentionsCruelIntentions Member Posts: 10
    Luke93 said:

Illustair said:

If I understand correctly, this doean't work for IWD and PST??

Yep :( (feel free to try anyway......)

This issue will be fixed with the next update (maybe......)
    Unfortunately .iwddata isn't recognized so I can't install the Reveal Hidden Gameplay Options mod. All I'm tooking to do is enable 'Show AOE' and 'Cleric Ranger Spells', but it appears there's no way to edit the Baldur.lua file on IPad :'( .
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535

Luke93 said:

Illustair said:

If I understand correctly, this doean't work for IWD and PST??

Yep :( (feel free to try anyway......)

This issue will be fixed with the next update (maybe......)
    Unfortunately .iwddata isn't recognized so I can't install the Reveal Hidden Gameplay Options mod. All I'm tooking to do is enable 'Show AOE' and 'Cleric Ranger Spells', but it appears there's no way to edit the Baldur.lua file on IPad :'( .
    Yeah, .iwddata isn't recognized.......

Anyway, there's no point in installing 'Show AOE' (I mean, there's no pointer on iOS.....)

So I really, really hope that the 2.6 versions of dialog.tlk are identical across different platforms. ( @JuliusBorisov ) That way we can just mod the desktop version and send the modded files to the iOS game.

This means that people are forced to purchase the game twice :/ ..... We need something else.......
    StummvonBordwehr
  • depkardepkar Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2019
    So I have tried this modding of BG:EE on my iPad using recommendations above and I had some mysterious problems with UI, but after complete reinstall of BG and new install of mods they disappeared, so thank You for sharing knowledge.
    Post edited by depkar on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited March 2019
    @Luke93 maybe I missed something, but what do we do about portrait packs? Like the new one from G3. Protraits aren't kept in the main data folder, they are kept in a user folder, with savegames... but where is that on iOS? How do we send portraits there? Is this known?

Could you provide me with the link to this mod?

Generally speaking, when it comes to custom portraits: I take my BMP files, zip (no compression) them, rename them to *.bg1/bg2portrait and finally send them to my iOS device.... I've never tried to install them via a WeiDU mod, but I'd like to try.....
    StummvonBordwehr
  • CabellCabell Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2019
    Found out the answer through experimenting: even though the /Portraits folder does not exist in the game directory, you can still zip the folder and call the archive "portraits.bg1data" and it will work. Might want to mention this in the first post.

@subtledoctor
    I've tried zipping the .bmps as portraits.bg2data and emailing them to myself per the pinned instructions. I can open the attachment with BG2:EE but don't see the portraits. Am I missing something?
    Post edited by Cabell on
  • CabellCabell Member Posts: 2
    Got it. Took 7 resized IWD and NWN photos from one of the portrait collections, discarded the smalls and mediums, zipped per the above as testport.zip, renamed as testport.bg2portrait, and opened it with iOS version.
    StummvonBordwehr
    edited June 2019
    In other news I finally got a new computer (yay for 2018 MacBook Pro refurbs being available!) and it came with macOS 10.14 Mojave... and it no longer has access to .ipa iOS app files...

Have you ever heard of this tool? The paid version is not needed to download the .ipa file of a purchased app :)
    (it was out there since November 2017 :( ....)

OP updated!

As a side note, the tool is compatible with Windows too, so Windows users may use it as well...
    Post edited by _Luke_ on
    StummvonBordwehr
  • polymorphedsquirrelpolymorphedsquirrel Member Posts: 114
    Some questions about your A7-TextureConvert: is it idempotent, i.e. running it multiple times will have the same effect as running it once? Is it smart enough to recognize if it has to convert or if the file already is in the right format?

I don't think I installed anything that adds areas to the game, but still have PVRZ files in override (no idea from where) - does it mean that running the conversion is still necessary?
    edited June 2019
    I don't think I installed anything that adds areas to the game, but still have PVRZ files in override (no idea from where) - does it mean that running the conversion is still necessary?

Yeah, it may be necessary to run the converter... You could use NearInfinity to find out the format of your PVRZ files => select them and then click on Properties: if none of them is of type "PVRTC 4bpp RGBA" (especially those with 'width' different from 'height'), then you may wanna run the tool....

Anyway, you could attach your WeiDU.log to a post.... Maybe someone is able to understand where those PVRZ files come from....
    Excellent. :smiley: Well, also sad, because they don't seem in a hurry. :cry:

Will be fixed within the end of September...
  • polymorphedsquirrelpolymorphedsquirrel Member Posts: 114
    Thanks. I didn't intend to bother anyone about looking into logs, I can always reinstall. As my computer hibernated when the converter was running and weidu didn't recognize the mod as installed but still had a non-empty backup dir I simply wondered if I can just run it again and it will just work, or if the installation became corrupted.
  • DrazharDrazhar Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2019
    Hey all, for some reason search isn’t working on my iPad maybe it’s me.. but I’ve been trying to mod iwd on my iPad.. can do saves with EE etc, tried to add some mods has I’ve done it with Baldur’s gate.. but when I get the the override file and Lang file it doesn’t seem to find the .iwddata for Icewind dale.. I’ve tried iwdata also but nothing.. any ideas? Or am I missing something?

EDIT found information above.. needed glasses :( so iwddata isn’t working at all, and patch seems to be not coming
    Post edited by Drazhar on
    Drazhar wrote: »
    EDIT found information above.. needed glasses :( so iwddata isn’t working at all, and patch seems to be not coming

Yeah, iwddata isn’t working right now (I fear the same holds for Planescape Torment...) – The 2.6 patch will hopefully fix this bug....
  • DrazharDrazhar Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2019
    Has there been any word on 2.6 patch? Will try torment later on this after noon, not that I know of many mods worth having for it. Not played it for a looong time, there is no save editor for ps:t right? We keeper won’t work with it I understand

EDIT: can confirm pstdata also not working.
    Post edited by Drazhar on
  • FairyFamiliarFairyFamiliar Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2019
    Hi guys, I am so excited that I got this working, thanks to all your instructions, playing a modded BG:EE on an ipad is just the stuff of dreams!

I just have one thing I can't seem to get my head around, which is the Portraits everywhere mod.

The OP listed as having this mod working in his play through so I assume its something fixable and maybe ive done something wrong

I'm at the start of the game testing things out and a lot of the NPCs dont have portraits when they speak, yet some do - but not all the time

For example, Gorion doesnt have a portrait any time I interact with him, but then he suddenly does when he replies to Sarevok 'you're a fool if you think id trust your benevolence'

Other characters I have noticed that dont have a portrait: the monks around candlekeep, Winthrop, Phylidia, the guy next to the hay with her book etc

characters that ive noticed do have one: Imoen, Firebead Elvenhair

Does anyone have any ideas? I tried reinstalling the mod but the portraits do seem to all be there :(

• FairyFamiliarFairyFamiliar Member Posts: 3
    I know this thread is a little dead - but I solved my own problem :) Just in case anyone else gets it - I removed some mods that I think conflicted with NPC mod (ajantis expanded and xan friendship) and adjusted my install order, reinstalling the app from fresh and following this tutorial. Somehow this fixed all the portraits and everything works great now.
    StummvonBordwehr_Luke_
  • gamegrillgamegrill Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2019
    Hi there! Thanks so much for this thread, I've only just started playing the trilogy on IPad and when I discovered mods I knew I just had to have them.

I've managed to follow the whole guide to the T, everything works, I'm able to make the override and lang files and import them to Baldur's Gate app on the iPad. The Game loads briefly and then becomes responsive. I restart.

And...nothing. No mods. No changes. The same has happened with trying to alter a save as well using the method that also uses the PC edition. Everything works, and it just won't show up in game. What am I missing ?

Thanks so much in advance.

EDIT: I should add, I'm only trying to install the unfinished business mod right now since that has been confirmed. And yea, still nothing.
    @gamegrill

Well, that's weird... Guess you need to say again what you did exactly (step by step.....)
    edited November 2019
    Luke93 wrote: »
    @gamegrill

Well, that's weird... Guess you need to say again what you did exactly (step by step.....)

@Luke93 Thanks for getting back so quick!

So I:

- Got ipa file, changed to zip, extracted
    - downloaded the mini quests and encounters mod, put both of its files (folder plus setup) in the payload - baldur's gate directory. Ran setup. Setup looks to be detecting the tlk file correctly and enhanced edition correctly, get successful installs of everything
    - go to 7zip, change to store compression (I didn't do this at first, so I ended up doing a complete reinstall of the game and then tried to install the mods without compression - still nothing)
    - find override file in 7 zip, go inside, highlight all, add, zip
    - rename the override zip to mod.bg1override
    - back to 7 zip, find lang file, deleted all the languages except en-us, added the lang folder itself and zipped (so if I click the zip file, it shows lang folder inside no en-us), rename to lang.bg1data
    - email both to myself via gmail, open on phone, airdrop the mod.bg1override to my ipad, it immediately opens the app for a second then plays, then open google drive on my ipad and find the lang.bg1data, choose "open in" and it immediately exports and launches the app again.
    - Close out the app, restart, make a new character and book it to beregost to see if the lady in red is in the northwest, she never is.
    So I managed to jailbreak an old iphone of mine since it is currently not possible on my iPad. I installed BG and managed to get access to the root directory. After installing the bg1override file as per instructions and refreshing the root directory, nothing at all changes in the app itself. And I have found the location of baldurs gate.app on my iphone via the root system on my pc, to be sure. Sooooooo the install just straight up is not working somehow???? Even though it launches the app when I click copy to...
    edited November 2019
    gamegrill wrote: »
    • go to 7zip, change to store compression....
    This (probably). By default, 7-Zip creates 7z-format archives with a .7z file extension. Make sure the file extension is .zip. Alternatively, don't use 7-Zip, try with some other software (a simple 'right-click the folder, select (or point to) Send to, and then select Compressed (zipped) folder' is hopefully enough). Unfortunately, I'm not a Windows user... Calling @StummvonBordwehr ....)
    • go to 7zip, change to store compression....
    This (probably). By default, 7-Zip creates 7z-format archives with a .7z file extension. Make sure the file extension is .zip. Alternatively, don't use 7-Zip, try with some other software (a simple 'right-click the folder, select (or point to) Send to, and then select Compressed (zipped) folder' is hopefully enough). Unfortunately, I'm not a Windows user... Calling @StummvonBordwehr ....)

I selected the .zip extension in 7 zip, and I also tried creating the files in winrar as well. I will try one more time and use winzip.
    edited November 2019
    I selected the .zip extension in 7 zip, and I also tried creating the files in winrar as well. I will try one more time and use winzip.

I'm sorry you're having all this trouble, but the software you use to create the compressed archive is most likely the culprit....
    I mean, mods work, it's been confirmed by several people around here...
    StummvonBordwehr

I'm sorry you're having all this trouble, but the software you use to create the compressed archive is most likely the culprit....
    I mean, mods work, it's been confirmed by several people around here...

Thanks, glad to know there's nothing that should be preventing this from working at least (updates or something).

Any idea what software is best on windows?
    edited November 2019
    Any idea what software is best on windows?
    Simply try with: right-click the folder, select (or point to) Send to, and then select Compressed (zipped) folder.