Skip to content

The Roleplaying Challenge Continues! The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Sorry, guys. Not feeling well at all. Going to bed and hopefully I will have a better day tomorrow.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    OOC: *casts cure disease*... "Ah... I had to shield Boo, and lost my spell."
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    edited October 2012
    Wondering about Xan's disturbing news...
    And hoping LadyRhian feels better.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    Aw, hope you feel better soon.

I guess Xan will talk to you guys while Oceanus is steadying himself.

"The news it this: These are not mere smugglers, we have inadvertantly boarded an arms supplier to one side of an interspecies war. It seems that the Lizardmen have expansionist ambitions and one of their targets was the local tribe of my aquatic kin. That might not even be their only target. Oceanus wishes to warn his tribe but I fear hopes are bleak if they try to resist alone, especially if the Lizardmen have high-quality weaponry from previous smuggling operations. Who knows what plots they have for when they have succeeded, especially since this operation appears to be better funded than a Lizardman tribe could hope to finance. The high number of Thayvians we have encountered is worrying too. We're going up forces far more powerful than ourselves, I fear that we're all doomed..."
    "Powerful forces?" Minsc didn't understand why anybody was worried about lizard-men, but figured that it had something to do with being smaller than them. Minsc, however, wasn't. "Remember, there is safety in numbers. And I am two, or three, at least." Probably five, but he didn't want to boast.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The problem is how are we supposed to help them? We can't breath underwater so helping them fight is out. If there was any document in this ship showing us where the weapons are coming from we could hit them there.
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    "Mazzy is right," Imoen chimes in. "We wouldn't be much good in an underwater battle, but stopping the weapons at the source might put a nasty snarl in their plans. If it's possible. We might also be able to send word back to Saltmarsh; arguably the coastal human settlements could become targets, too. That might put the sailors on alert. We need more information before we decide where is best to put the boot of goodness to evil's backside." She looks around. "I think we've already seen the captain's quarters, but maybe not. Either way, I think we should finish searching the ship for additional prisoners, pirates, and information. If we strike out, we can go back to the better-appointed quarters and search for the paper trail that way."

OOC: I hope you feel better soon, LadyRhian. :)
    mlnevese
    OOC Hey Imoen is learning Minsc too :)
    reedmilfamjhart1018
    "Hah!" It was good to hear little Imoen talk big-talk. "But your boots are small, like Boo's." So were Mazzy's, but she wore plate, so that made them bigger in a not bigger way. It made sense to Minsc, and to Boo, but probably wouldn't to the others. One day, they would record The Book Of Boo, and this would help others to learn his Wisdom.
    mlneveseCommunardjhart1018
    Okay, feeling less like a steamroller ran me over now. :P I woke up and could barely move. All my muscles cramped up at once, and my cat was staring at me with her patented "What are you UP to? More stupid human tricks?" look. :P

DM: Oceanus takes a dip in the ocean, disappearing out one of the portholes with a splash into the waters below. A few minutes later, he climbs back in, soaking wet and looking considerably happier. You can see now that the slashes in his neck are actually gills.

He smiles at all of you, and speaks in Elvish to Xan.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    OOC Glad to hear you are on the mend.

While Oceanus is skinny-dipping, I will continue checking for traps on the chest. Then I will try the keys and if that fails, pick the lock.
    The box isn't locked. It contains some grubby clothes of no particular value. However, the bottom of the box has a small hole in it. Very like a keyhole.
    I'll check for traps. Then try the keys. Failing that I will attempt to pick the lock.
    You find one of the keys fits into the keyhole Inside the iron box revealed, you find a spear, a dagger, and a crossbow. The crossbow is strange, made out of ivory and with a strange-looking string. It is also rather obviously broken.

Oceanus makes a pleased sound when he sees the items, and frowns at the crossbow sadly. Alora thinks they have found his gear.

There are also 200 silver pieces in the bottom of the box.
    I didn't break it! It wasn't me! It was already broken when I touched it!
    edited October 2012
    "He thanks you all for his freedom. Perhaps we'd better return his gear. Is there anything you'd like me to ask him? I think we need some more information if we are to raise our dismal chances of success."
    Xan starts questioning Oceanus in Elvish as soon as he is comfortable.
    Does he know where the weapons are coming from? That's the only way we can help.
    "Swords, not spears," Minsc mutters. He scoops the coins from the stash and thrusts them toward the green elf, who had (to this point) given off no hint of evil. "This will fix string and buy sword?" Minsc wasn't entirely sure, for the counting and the buying were never his strongest subjects.
    Oceanus talks freely with Xan in Elvish, but cringes back from the thrown money, because damn, that hurts! (I've had money literally thrown at me in my job, and coins sting, especially the size of old dollar coins, which is the accepted size of D&D Money.)

Size of Eisenhower Dollars: image
    OOC @LadyRhian THRUSTs not THROWs the money :-(
    Whups. Sorry! He still doesn't take it, though. Minsc doesn't know if his people don't use money or what.
    Wondering if there was some confusion, Minsc set the coins at the feet of the green being and pat them, much as he would pat Boo. "This is coin. Nice coin." He then forgot about the green elf. "Boo wishes to meet Hero Lizards."
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    The elf smiles at you and turns to Xan, speaking in Elvish. He takes his gear, the dagger, the crossbow, and the spear. He smiles at you again, and shakes his spear in a fashion more comradely than threatening. He cocks his eyebrow at you all.
    I cock my eyebrow right back at him.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Ooc: that's some good eyebrow cocking.
    Sily
    edited October 2012
    "He's told me that the lizardman raids began about two years go. He observed this boat making several runs, but was netted on his latest observation. The captors he saw were a hook-handed man and a bearded man. He does not know where the weapons are coming from. Finally, he wishes to join us if we will permit it, though why anyone would be so suicidal after such a near brush with death is beyond me."

Kimble cartwheels across the cabin: "A new friend! And he's green! Brilliant!"
    edited October 2012
    Won't the lack of water be dangerous for him if we go after the weapons source?
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    "Less talk, more fight!" Minsc drew the Sword of Boo, +1, and gave it a shake. And then another shake. "Look, Boo! Fun green elf game!" He didn't know all of the rules, yet suspected that he would win, nevertheless.
    DM: Not really. He was imprisoned for almost a week to get to that state.