Skip to content

The Thread for Metaaaaal! \m/

Comments

• TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835

I've followed this band for a while. When they signed Sabrina Valentine they got even better.

Winter is here...

smeagolheart
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Note to self: check out Theocracy.
    FinneousPJTakisMegas
  • TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Note to self: check out Theocracy.

You will not be disappointed.
    ThacoBell
  • haidukhaiduk Member Posts: 19
    cosmic blackened death\m/etal

FinneousPJTakisMegasDev6
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    FinneousPJ wrote: »
    I've got tickets 12th April

Today's the day. Getting ready now ?

TakisMegas
    Cool solo project

TakisMegas
    fd20akj2ubmo.jpg
    TakisMegashaiduk
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Now that I have some energy back, I’m going to continue this thread with another Texas guitar slinger, Albert Collins.

Collins, aka “The Ice Man” and “Master of the Telecaster”, was born Albert Drewery in the small town of Leona, Texas, in 1932. He grew up in Houston from the age of ten. He had piano lessons, but when his tutor was unavailable, Albert’s cousin Willow Young would loan him a guitar. Young taught him the alternative tuning that Collins would be known for: an open F minor chord with a cap at the fifth, sixth, or seventh fret. This was key to Collins developing his own “ice pick” sound. After graduating high school he started his own band, the Rhythm Rockers. He worked at a ranch for four years and as a truck driver for twelve while playing with through the Houston area. In 1954, he added a 17-year old guitarist named Johnny Copeland.

He first recorded a 45 for a local label, Kangaroo Records, with “The Freeze” backed by “Collins Shuffle”. In 1964, Cowboy Jack Clement (who had been at Sun Records) spotted him for Hall Records and recorded “Frosty”, a regional hit. His first album in 1965 was previously recorded instrumentals.

In 1968 he came to the attention of Imperial Records, thanks to Canned Heat. With a record deal, Collins was offered regular work in Kansas City then moved to Palo Alto, California. He finished his album for Imperial and established himself as a regular act on the west coast.

He then recorded for a label in Denver in 1971, but the label folded and he was without a label. He worked in construction to make ends meet, including a remodeling job for Neil Diamond, of all people In 1978 he signed with Alligator and his fortunes changed. He released Ice Pickin’ that year and started to establish himself in the eastern US and in Europe, to the point where he performed with George Thorogood and the Destroyer at Live Aid, playing a solo on “Madison Blues”. In 1986 he won a Grammy with Robert Cray and Johnny Copeland for their album Showdown!

In 1987 he played on Late Night with David Letterman and appeared in the film Adventures in Babysitting. He was also part of the great lineup that played at George H W Bush’s Inauguration Concert in 1989.

In July 1993 he was at a festival in Switzerland when he became ill. He had lung cancer which had metastasized to his liver and passed away that November at age 61.

Collins playing with Stevie Ray Vaughan at President Bush’s 1989 Inauguration Ball.

A live version of his hit “I Ain’t Drunk” I wish I could remember which documentary this was in.

The instrumental Avalanche

Oh, and care to see a guitar duel between Albert Collins and Buddy Guy from 1990? I would have given a week’s pay to see this live, but when it happened I was wasting my time at a conference in Italy.

FinneousPJDev6ThacoBell
    New album

TakisMegas[Deleted User]
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    haiduk wrote: »
    cosmic blackened death\m/etal

So is your username inspired by the band or are you the band? :tongue: Nice tunes.
    haiduk
  • haidukhaiduk Member Posts: 19
    Dev6 wrote: »
    So is your username inspired by the band or are you the band? :tongue: Nice tunes.

Yeah I'm Haiduk. Really glad you dig it.

-

Death Portent

• hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    edited May 2019
    Just as well I checked the last page, I was going to post Fall to Rise by Persefone myself, as I just really recently discovered that band.

Well here's some random stuff I've been listening to anyways.

• SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Hugin Munin

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    So I've been into Son of a Bach lately. It's metal versions of Bach.

ThacoBell
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited June 2019
    I guess now I'm a metal fan. And what a feeling this is, to discover something new.

It all started with Ghost but recently continued when I listened and watched Arch Enemy.

ThacoBellStromaelMaleficentOne
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176

Hugin Munin.
    JuliusBorisov
  • StromaelStromael Member Posts: 195

When I thought nothing could reach the same level as Wintersun... I discovered this band.
    JuliusBorisov
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

Amongst the various Touhou metal bands Akatsuki Records really stands out.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    edited February 2020
    The asian Black Metal scene has gone above and beyond all others in the last 10 years or so IMO, but even I didn't expect this raging behemoth that just graced my ears. I have no other words except brutal.

Vengeful Spectre (殞煞) - Vengeful Spectre
    Been awhile since I contributed, huh?

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited February 2020

MaleficentOne
  • MaleficentOneMaleficentOne Member Posts: 211

These guys rock.
    edited March 2020
    Nightwish, from their newest album Human Nature that comes out in April. Noise, pretty much sums up today's society.

JuliusBorisov
    edited March 2020

JuliusBorisov
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    Well, I came across some interesting stuff in the last little while;

Yeah, kind of loving music right now.
    MaleficentOneJuliusBorisov
    I present to you, my secret to being a parent:

• m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
  • m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
    ThacoBell
    I always like to see new cultures get into metal.

m7600StummvonBordwehr