Skip to content

2.6 patch any news?

majbermajber Member Posts: 53
Is there any new news/rumors about 2.6 patch for Baldur's Gate 2? Its kind of silent for a long time...
Daevelon

Comments

• StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    @majber
    It’s coming. We had to await the console release. Check out this thread:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1099962/#Comment_1099962
    JuliusBorisovSkatan
  • iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    Oh I hope they fix Larlochs minor drain.
    Dual wielding properly functioning Foebane with Improved Haste is my ultimate powergaming fantasy.
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrgorgonzola
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    You can already use a quick fix by........
    if you have a list of all the quick fixes currently available please send it to me by PM or post it in the "Useful knowledge about the games that other way could be lost" thread
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/75332/useful-knowledge-about-the-games-that-other-way-could-be-lost-please-help-by-reporting-links
    it is the kind of information that thread is made for.
    thank you :)

DaevelonAerakar
    Oh I hope they fix Larlochs minor drain.
    Dual wielding properly functioning Foebane with Improved Haste is my ultimate powergaming fantasy.

i hope they fix the way simulacrum retains caster's spells, as now is almost only useful for fighter mages or to chease with scrolls and items in the quick slots.
    That is my ultimate powergaming fantasy. ;)
    iosfrustration
  • majbermajber Member Posts: 53
    I hope it will be this year...
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    I dont think its possible, there arent any sings of the new patch, too much silence.
    Need fix errors, and i think an advanced ai like sod will be a good addition.
    as the patch afaik will be the last one i don't mind if we have to wait as far as most of the issues are properly fixed :wink:
  • ATigersClawATigersClaw Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 161
    Any news for the timeline of patch 2.6 from the official side?
    It has been some time since I last heard anything about it.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Any news for the timeline of patch 2.6 from the official side?
    It has been some time since I last heard anything about it.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1120703/#Comment_1120703
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    gorgonzola
    No. By linking to that comment I provide more context around the reply. Also, the comment in question mentions some progress on the 2.6 patch (we now have a special producer for IE games). So it's not what you say, @subtledoctor.
    gorgonzola
    also to write answers to give information you already gave elsewhere is at least annoying, i see your point @JuliusBorisov .
    still to write: "not yet, you can find more here (link)" would have avoided to many potential readers to have to open an other forum page to see that there, even if more context is provided, the answer is no, thing that can as well be annoying.
    so maybe next time... ;)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Ludwig_II
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    Tons of bugs have likely already been fixed... but those fixes are not being released to players. What’s the point of that?? Even if the decision in the end is to stop patches and let the games rot, why not release the fixes that are already done? And then figure out whether to do any more?

Exactly this. I've been wondering this for a long time myself now. I'm sure Beamdog has its reasons, but I'd really like to learn the reasoning behind this as well.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    Is it will be the very last patch ?
    edited March 2020
    "We’ve got a dedicated team working on all of Baldur’s Gate, Siege of Dragonspear, Baldur’s Gate II, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights to get them ready for release on consoles, and that’s taking up the larger part of our company resources.
    so if i get it right your main priority is to release the infinity based games for new devices, and the rest of your resources is devoted to other projects like Axis & Allies Online and at now you can not give to us a timeline about the 2.6 final patch.
    probably because you are not working at it, as a small company that has stretched his goals beyond what their resources allow probably does non waste resources on something that they don't know when they will be able to release, specially if it don't bring enough cash in return, we get the patch for free while who will buy the games for other devices will give you money.
    i told probably because i am only guessing that you are not working at all on patch 2.6, i can be wrong about it.
    also to loose all the previous builds only because you move to an other office is something that should not happen to a software house, at least nowadays that the storage of data and proper backup procedures are so cheap.

if i am right maybe the patch will be released in some uncertain future, as you can not give to us any credible date for the release at now, maybe it will never be released if your struggle to survive as a small company in a word with giant actors will bring you in the future other priorities.

and the (possible) fact that you are at now only working at other priorities can also be the reason why you don't release a beta version of the patch, with the bugs already fixed, as you possibly lack of the capability to pack the fixes in a patch and do the minimal testing needed to be sure that it does not introduce other bugs. between having some fixes ready and releasing a patch there is some work to do, drawing away your human power from other priorities.

by the way i think that the game is perfectly playable at now, imho even the original pre EE game was so, and i play both having fun, i am so glad that beamdog released the EE, but mainly because it brought new interest, modders and players to those fantastic games.
    and this is only my very personal point of view, as i play the games only on a computer and would never do it on the small screen of a cellphone or on a console that i don't even own. also i think that beamdog has already gone to far in its bug fixing, as some bugs, or supposed ones, allowed exploits that i really enjoy researching on in my full cheese runs without really affecting the players that don't want to use that cheese.
    if a player cast many bard misleads and pack them in a closed room singing or puts 3 PI in a CC i suppose that he is well aware of what he is doing, but those are among the first bugs fixed by a company that has told more then once that the bug fixing is done to avoid problems to the players that want to play in a "normal" way.
    actually i am still playing the bg and bg2 release i originally bought, without updating them and if possible i would gladly roll back to previous ones, i have the updates disabled for this very reason. so i am not personally so worried about the date of release of the last final patch (even if when it will be released i will probably download it and i will play both the last release and the less exploit nerfed versions of EE.

so i thank beamdog because without beamdog those forums and a lot of new mods, as well as the continuous improvement of old ones, like scs, would have never existed.
    i thank also you Julius for letting us know, in the boundaries of what your position allow, what is the real situation about the next patch.

JuliusBorisovShangerookaja8
    edited March 2020
    I said nothing regarding 2016-17, that was subtledoctor. I'm just saying the patch has been in limbo for 2 years, and based on my understanding of the chats here over the years, it could have even be released over a year ago with all the fixes that were initially in scope. Then, some unknown event happened, you guys couldn't release it, then somehow that unknown event was gone, but you still waited 8-9 months even though it was weeks away from release back then. And then, after all this time, you say that 2.6 patch is still planned, like it's a new patch that is just being scoped out.
    If you imagine what it meant that all the previous builds (PC) were lost, ...
    I'm sorry, but my imagination failed to go that wild. Could you please elaborate this?

Even though I've been active here multiple times every day for over many years now, apparently I missed this. Interesting.
    Post edited by Ludwig_II on
    I can't comment on that more, sorry. I just clarified the statement from our blog because of many questions about reasoning: "some build issues".
    gorgonzola
    edited March 2020
    I see, very mysterious. It's still a lot more clarifications than we had before. So, thank you :)
    JuliusBorisovgorgonzolaStummvonBordwehr
  • ATigersClawATigersClaw Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 161
    I'm sure everybody here is thankful for Beamdog polishing up those old gems (I certainly am.) but after such a very long time, I doubt that there are any capacities dedicated to releasing the 2.6 patch even though the main workload of releasing the initial console editions is over.

I have reported 24 bugs across several of those games at the Beamdog Service Desk November last year and there hasn't even been one manual response, assignment or other activity on any of those tickets (except for automated answers).
    This leads me to the firm assumption that this is a dead topic, which is too damn sad as there are many people still contributing their spare time in translating those games, reporting bugs and so on.
    The least that could be done, would be another public message/blogpost about the current status and a rough timeline from the devs.
    I think it is essential to value the contributions made by people loving the games.
    At the moment this is definitely not the case.

In the end all these are just speculations and only Beamdog knows what's up.
    I do understand that @JuliusBorisov on the one side can't talk about everything but it would be really great if this somehow finds its way to the dev team lead so he knows the fanbase is waiting on 2.6 and to at least value all the volunteers.
    gorgonzolakaja8
  • ShangerooShangeroo Member Posts: 84
    Just curious, I’m playing on the 2.5.17 version and everything seems to work fine. I’ve done multiple playthroughs from BG1 to SOD to SOA/TOB. I also want to add my thank you to Beamdog for porting this game for iPhones.

What major bugs are still outstanding that 2.6 is supposed to fix?
    gorgonzola
  • Timbo0o0o0Timbo0o0o0 Member Posts: 60
    The Pathfinding has a horrible bug for some players. There are more Bugs mentioned by others in another Thread, but thats the big thing for me, that keeps me from playing.

Another thing is the Fan Made German translation, it would be a real shame to not include it with a new patch.
    The unspoken commision of a -professional- Translation, for the console Port, is quite brazen against the vollunteers.
    But to let it rod somewhere in some drawer would be extremly rude and unfair against all the vollunteers!

Most of the critical Spokesman got kicked off the Forum, not a noble move, by the way.
    gorgonzola
    edited March 2020
    about the pathfinding i personally never had any problem even with the old pre EE engine, imo as long as the player learn to use it correctly (you can create for the party or even for every single toon a route with waypoints if you want to automate long or complex movements trough the area. if it is something related to it i would not call the bug horrible, but as i don't know the real nature of the bug i can be wrong.

about the localizations of the game, that afaik are based totally on voluntary not payed work, often from volunteers that rise funds and pay from their pocket to hire professional voice actors or other costs, i think that not only beamdog should give more evidence and credit to the authors, i am not even sure that the names of the authors of the localizations are credited in the game or elsewhere, but that if they should not be payed at least some kind of revenue should be given to them, like let's say free keys for some beamdog games. (i did not personally volunteer for any localization, so i have no personal interest at all in telling this).
    but at least beamdog should have a moral obligation to release each localization, as those are done by volunteers, but in collaboration with beamdog, that is aware that some people are working for it and provides space on those forums for them to meet and discuss their work, as soon as it is ready.
    for someone that is on the market for profit to have other people doing part of the work for free, without a share on the profit their work generate, is an incredible luck*, and to have their work in stand by and not released is not a way to respect who spent their time, effort and sometimes money to make better a product beamdog earn money selling.

i add that beyond the bugs there are also some proposed modifications, ie right now the simulacrums retain the spells using alphabetical order and not (like it happened in not EE and still happens in EE if a toon is level drained) in the order they had been memorized. In EE the the player has not control on which spells the clone retains, making what was supposed to be a tool for mages, a secondary mage clone that does not freeze the original one, something only useful for sorcerers, fighter-mages and warriors that get the simulacrum trough the helm.
    this is only one of the many modifications to the game that had been proposed that are not technically bug fixing and imo would make the game much more playable then a better pathfinding.
    even if a better pathfinding can only be welcome, don't get me wrong.

*note: i don't usually go to the factory that produces the toilet paper that i use to make for free some or many work hours only to have them producing a better toilet paper. toilet paper and computer games, as long as they are sold on the market for profit, are different products, but the difference is only that.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    The reference to a pathfinding bug probably refers to the tendency for icons to overlap, making it difficult or impossible to move. To some extent you can avoid or adjust to this in gameplay. For instance it's not a good idea to be too close to Draconis when he changes from a man to a dragon - unless you really feel comfortable with several tons of dragon sitting on top of you of course :p. However, it is a pretty significant bug that it would be nice to get rid of.
    gorgonzolaBalrog99ThacoBell
    I'm sure everybody here is thankful for Beamdog polishing up those old gems (I certainly am.) but after such a very long time, I doubt that there are any capacities dedicated to releasing the 2.6 patch even though the main workload of releasing the initial console editions is over.

I have reported 24 bugs across several of those games at the Beamdog Service Desk November last year and there hasn't even been one manual response, assignment or other activity on any of those tickets (except for automated answers).
    This leads me to the firm assumption that this is a dead topic, which is too damn sad as there are many people still contributing their spare time in translating those games, reporting bugs and so on.
    The least that could be done, would be another public message/blogpost about the current status and a rough timeline from the devs.
    I think it is essential to value the contributions made by people loving the games.
    At the moment this is definitely not the case.

In the end all these are just speculations and only Beamdog knows what's up.
    I do understand that @JuliusBorisov on the one side can't talk about everything but it would be really great if this somehow finds its way to the dev team lead so he knows the fanbase is waiting on 2.6 and to at least value all the volunteers.

This is not a dead topic, and I bring it up every week, or even more often (about the lack of ETA). We're working and everyone is well aware about what the fanbase is wanting and waiting for. We brought the TotM module to Beamdog.com after 7 months+. The patch for 2.6 will also be released.

We're very grateful to each and every translator and bug reporter. The answers you get on the Service Desk are not automated, it's a real person writing them and then sharing the bug reports with the team.
    ThacoBellgorgonzolaAerakarGrond0
  • majbermajber Member Posts: 53
    quick question: will 2.6 be save game compatible with current version? (PC)
    gorgonzola
    majber wrote: »
    quick question: will 2.6 be save game compatible with current version? (PC)

Of course, it will be.
    gorgonzola
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Timbo0o0o0 "Most of the critical Spokesman got kicked off the Forum, not a noble move, by the way."

Yeah, because they started outright attacking other forumites in the threads. You break the rules here, there are consequences. One user went on a tirade so bad that they felt the need to delete all their comments across multiple threads.
    megamike15
This discussion has been closed.