Skip to content

COVID-19

Comments

• TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited March 2020
    @deltago said "Who owns an iron any more and would use it on money?"

I do especially for paying cash into the bank (the machine freaks out if you have a bent corner to a note)... (god I wish these forums had the range of emojis even my phone has, Can't even stick my tongue out at yer B) )

TR
    Proont
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    It's not "some flu." It's significantly more likely to kill people, and it spreads orders of magnitude faster than the flu does. If people just mingle in public, even with social distancing, sars-cov-2 will spread even more like wildfire than it already does. If you genuinely think the only reason people are sheltering at home, self quarantining, or minimizing their trips for essential supplies (food, medicine, medical treatment) or to work at their essential jobs is out of overreaction, you really need to take a good long look at how many cases we have in the US right now, as well as how many deaths.

People who didn't have to die are dying right now because it took so long to implement emergency measures, and many more will continue to die. People with no underlying conditions who are adults or in middle age are dying to this. In the US we're looking at a death toll in the millions, economic collapse whether or not people have to shelter at home, and other consequences I'm not sure anyone can even predict yet.
    ProontThacoBell
    Just seen on twitter that the USA now has the most confirmed cases in the world. What was that, Trump was saying about America first...

TR
    smeagolheartProontThacoBell
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    As a person who is really bothered by overcrowding anyway, I'm starting to find an appreciation for this covid thing. Colorado began a stay at home "order" at 8am today. Enforcement is focusing on education and tracking violations. Repeat offenders could face citation. I work in construction and am considered essential, so I'm able to work at least. We're a small crew working outside away from the public...mostly.
    Balrog99
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited March 2020
    Just seen on twitter that the USA now has the most confirmed cases in the world. What was that, Trump was saying about America first...

TR

I'd say China very likely under reported their numbers, but even if we assume they are DOUBLE what they actually revealed, we'll still overtake them on even THAT number by Sunday or Monday.

The US is not just going to have the worst response and result. It's going to have the worst by orders of magnitude. The only other contender will be Italy. Who has a lockdown in place to this day that is stricter than any US city.
    ProontThacoBell
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    jjstraka34 wrote: »

TR

I'd say China very likely under reported their numbers, but even if we assume they are DOUBLE what they actually revealed, we'll still overtake them on even THAT number by Sunday or Monday.

The US is not just going to have the worst response and result. It's going to have the worst by orders of magnitude. The only other contender will be Italy. Who has a lockdown in place to this day that is stricter than any US city.

For now. Deaths are the only stat that is worthwhile. Everybody is going to have had this sooner or later, just like everybody (with maybe a few exceptions) has had the cold or flu. It's not going away people, we're just trying to slow it down.
    And Italy's had over 8,000 deaths.

The US has over 1,000 recorded at this point, but since numbers of confirmed cases are rising very rapidly - the US had 30,000 newly confirmed cases over the past 2-3 days I think? - that number is going to skyrocket.

I wonder how badly our numbers are skewed by the number of people who don't have health insurance and can't afford care.

ThacoBell
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    @deltago said "Who owns an iron any more and would use it on money?"

I do especially for paying cash into the bank (the machine freaks out if you have a bent corner to a note)... (god I wish these forums had the range of emojis even my phone has, Can't even stick my tongue out at yer B) )

TR

:tongue:
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited March 2020
    It's not "some flu." It's significantly more likely to kill people, and it spreads orders of magnitude faster than the flu does. If people just mingle in public, even with social distancing, sars-cov-2 will spread even more like wildfire than it already does. If you genuinely think the only reason people are sheltering at home, self quarantining, or minimizing their trips for essential supplies (food, medicine, medical treatment) or to work at their essential jobs is out of overreaction, you really need to take a good long look at how many cases we have in the US right now, as well as how many deaths.
    I know. But based on what info is available to general public, I find it safe to assume the real number of infected is many, many times higher, they just don't even know about it.

jjstraka34 wrote: »
    Is this supposed to be sarcastic?? Have we really moved onto the "social distancing is the new SJW" phase of this shit?? Maybe all the epidemiologists in the world are all cultural marxists. Who knew??
    I beseech you :p I'm quite aware half the world - including geopolitical opponents - wouldn't shut down everything over harmless disease. In fact, I recall being in favor of going China's way and taking extreme measures against quarantine violators - if you decide it's serious enough to warrant quarantine shutdown, then you go all the way until the end, otherwise what's even the point:
    Ardanis wrote: »
    Enforcing quarantine has nothing to do with authoritarianism or anarchism (which some seem to confuse for libertarianism). It's just a natural response to emergency, which is the reason government exists in the first place.

Negligence is everywhere, though... we had a woman with suspected corona escape from a hospital, then brought into court room and sent back into quarantine. That is, instead of hunting the stupid cow down with tazers they brought her into gathering of people to (potentially) infect even more :facepalm: Human rights, my ass. Who gives a damn when a disease is on the loose.
    As for the "social distancing is the new SJW" - yes, you are spot on, albeit not in the sense you seem to be putting into it. Over the last month I noticed a lot of intersection between panicking doomsayers and left wingers - same self-righteous arrogance aka bigotry on one hand, and same entitlement to be compensated for discomfort by someone else on the other hand. That mindset is something I dislike greatly and will continue to mock for as long as it exists, for lacking maturity and responsibility for one's life.
    Yes, there's an epidemy going on - as if it never happened before... No, the economy isn't some magic wheel that can turn by itself - not *yet* at least, we aren't that far from total robotization and remote control of production and delivery, - while everyone sits at home and wants to be paid by government.
    If you think I'm needlessly blunt and non-compassionate about things, then you are right, I purposefully am - because I'm seen enough signs that my generation is not only taking too much for granted, but starting to influence the society into molding to fit its expectations. And I dread to imagine what kind of horrific 1984-like nightmare it will end up like.
    Balrog99MaleficentOne
    edited March 2020
    Ardanis wrote: »
    I know. But based on what info is available to general public, I find it safe to assume the real number of infected is many, many times higher, they just don't even know about it.

Ain't that the truth.

Balrog99Proont
    I do have to add that if people can't work, many need money to not be homeless and/or go hungry. Plus, giving money to people will in fact stimulate the economy more than an equal amount given to corporations or banks.
    ProontronaldoThacoBell
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited March 2020
    EPA suspends enforcement of environmental laws amid coronavirus

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/489753-epa-suspends-enforcement-of-environmental-laws-amid-coronavirus

The Federal Reserve just dropped the banking sector's reserve requirements to zero percent, effective today. They no longer have to keep a single cent of your deposits on hand.

Here's a direct link to the Feds: https://www.federalreserve.gov/monetarypolicy/reservereq.htm

U.S. pumped 14 trillion dollars into banks and businesses. With no congressional oversight.

We gave 14 TRILLION to banks and Businesses in the past two weeks. With no congressional oversight. 1 trillion PER DAY.

FYI The current entire US economy is 19 Trillion.

ProontMaleficentOne
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    Okay, lefties and righties, liberals and conservatives, listen up... THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL EVENT!!! What good is a robust economy if people die needlessly? Who cares about what some effing world leader says when they're in a hospital bed connected to respirators and other equipment fighting for their lives? I'm not saying these things don't matter, but come on, priorities people. Do the right thing, even when it's the hard thing(which it usually is).
    ZaxaresMaleficentOneBlackbɨrd
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    shabadoo wrote: »
    Okay, lefties and righties, liberals and conservatives, listen up... THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL EVENT!!! What good is a robust economy if people die needlessly? Who cares about what some effing world leader says when they're in a hospital bed connected to respirators and other equipment fighting for their lives? I'm not saying these things don't matter, but come on, priorities people. Do the right thing, even when it's the hard thing(which it usually is).

Of course it's political.

The virus is not.

The measures we take to contain it: politics.
    The health system used to fight the virus: decided by politics.
    How we handle the economic fallout: politics.

If this isn't political nothing is. Because politics isn't really a team vs team competition where at the end the winner does not really manner.
    Proontjjstraka34smeagolheartThacoBell
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited March 2020
    Please don't discuss politics in this thread. I already asked about that a few pages ago. There are people dying there, people losing jobs there, people working 24/7 (doctors) there. Stop discussing politics here, and do that (if you wish so) in the appropriate thread.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    ProontAedan
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Any other places in which garbage separation is now heavily discouraged? In Germany we are now told to put everything into the residual waste, tightly sealed. It makes some sense of course in order to protect the garbage collectors from the virus. Then again, this move makes getting recycled paper into the right hands even harder. Which coincidentally is also needed to create daily life items such as toilet paper.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Any other places in which garbage separation is now heavily discouraged? In Germany we are now told to put everything into the residual waste, tightly sealed. It makes some sense of course in order to protect the garbage collectors from the virus. Then again, this move makes getting recycled paper into the right hands even harder. Which coincidentally is also needed to create daily life items such as toilet paper.

That's happened here as well - and the recycling centers are closed as well. I haven't heard a specific reason why, but my guess would be it's to do with staff shortages. I know that the contingency plan response proposed for a number of different scenarios was to simplify the overall system, but make sure that public collection of waste continues.
    Kamigoroshi
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited March 2020
    With that in mind I want to dedicate this Bowie song to all the medical workers around the world battling this.

After more than 40 years of refusing to write any more verses for Streets of London, Ralph McTell has composed a new verse in recognition of just how significant this disease is.
    MaleficentOneAerakar
    edited March 2020
    One thing I do wonder. Is this idea I had recently actually feasible? Would it be possible to write a mobile/cell phone app to aid with social distancing? One that would beep if you are too close to someone else. Or are the bluetooth and gps just too inaccurate? Perhaps somebody on the team(s?) that ported our favourite games can answer. Or maybe @TrentOster can comment. Is this just a silly idea?

TR
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    edited April 2021
    One thing I do wonder. Is this idea I had recently actually feasible? Would it be possible to write a mobile/cell phone app to aid with social distancing? One that would beep if you are too close to someone else. Or are the bluetooth and gps just too inaccurate? Perhaps somebody on the team(s?) that ported our favourite games can answer. Or maybe @TrentOster can comment. Is this just a silly idea?

TR

Post edited by Blackbɨrd on
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Boris Johnson, PM of the UK tested positive for Covid-19.

https://time.com/5811257/boris-johnson-coronavirus-positive/?amp=true
    smeagolheart
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited March 2020
    Balrog99 wrote: »

Karma, is that you?
    Kamigoroshi
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    A song for inside.
    A song for stubenhocker. For mattress testers. For couch potatoes.
    A song for finally digitalizing vinyl record collections. For wiping the kitchen again. For re-sorting all satellite channels anew.
    A song for Die Sendung mit der Maus. For telelearning. For Skype school hours.
    A song for washing hands. For one and a half meters. For the armpit.
    A song for nurses and doctors. For the on-call duty.
    A song for Johns Hopkins. For Robert Koch. For Christian Drosten. For Max Planck.
    A song for solidarity.
    A song for everyone.
    A song for now.
    A song for you.
    [phonerecording is killing music studios]
    Newest song from Die Ärzte. Made inside their quarantined homes. Nice!
    ProontBalrog99Aerakar
    @Blackbɨrd That is why I said make it make a sound. My idea is that the phone remains in the pocket.

TR
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Aedan wrote: »
    Balrog99 wrote: »

Karma, is that you?

Still, we should wish him (as well as anyone else affected) to get well soon, he's 55. Hope he'll be alright.
    MaleficentOneBalrog99Aerakar
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    edited April 2021
    @Blackbɨrd That is why I said make it make a sound. My idea is that the phone remains in the pocket.

TR

Post edited by Blackbɨrd on
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Blind and nearsighted people would benefit
    TarotRedhand