Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    deltago wrote: »
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    This is why Democrats were trying to get universal mail-in voting in the stimulus bill. Republicans are not just against it, Trump himself has said it is inherently crooked by DEFAULT, despite HE HIMSELF voting by mail and, you know, EVERY active member of the military. They know actual access to the ballot for everyone is death to their party. They've known this for a decade. If you ask them, they'll admit it to you. They do so all the time.

Oh I agree with this 10000%

But I also think that elections (at least in the united states) should not be postponed for any reason.

They shouldn't be. Instead, we should have a universal mail-in ballot system. Since we do not, opening polls at this time is a public health hazard and alternatives should be sought immediately. Since the GOP doesn't want alternatives, we end up spreading more coronavirus around to sicken more people. This is in fact a stark black and white choice: encouraging or even requiring people to leave their homes to vote at polling places which are typically quite crowded will cause a lot of death.

At this point, everything the GOP does is for a couple specific reasons:
    • Gaining more power and wealth for themselves and their cronies
    • Keeping political opponents from gaining any power at all

They do not care about the cost in human lives. They don't care about anything but their personal wealth. Looking to them to make the right choices, or insisting that their choices are necessarily correct, is completely and profoundly misguided.
    Perfect example illustrating the point in my previous post

• BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    I mean, not for nothing - but there are a number of ways to lower the impact of the Wisconsin primary election tomorrow, chief among them would be Sanders dropping out.

I dont like Biden. I dont like Sanders. If we all agree elections are putting people at risk, and the GOP is content to ensure that large scale mail-in or absentee balloting isnt an option, then the politicians themselves can take it into their own hands...

Recent polling in Wisconsin has Biden up pretty huge anyways - and it's a state that Sanders *should* do better than average in.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited April 2020

So the partisan Republican hacks controlling the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 to endanger American lives, what about the state court which has a 4-2 conservative majority in their supreme court?

-> Wisconsin's Supreme Court blocked Democratic Gov. Tony Evers' order to postpone Tuesday's election, despite his arguments that in-person voting could endanger poll workers and voters.

The court sided with Republicans who control the state legislature and opposed Evers' executive order Monday that sought to delay the election until June 9. The decision was 4-2, with the court's conservative majority backing the GOP's position.

https://us.cnn.com/2020/04/06/politics/wisconsin-primary-election/index.html

Republicans want people to die. They don't want people to be able to vote safely. They are an evil organization top to bottom it seems.

If this lasts till November, I wonder if you will sing the same tune when it is the republicans wanting to postpone the election with arguments of endangering poll workers and voters.

This is why Democrats were trying to get universal mail-in voting in the stimulus bill. Republicans are not just against it, Trump himself has said it is inherently crooked by DEFAULT, despite HE HIMSELF voting by mail and, you know, EVERY active member of the military. They know actual access to the ballot for everyone is death to their party. They've known this for a decade. If you ask them, they'll admit it to you. They do so all the time.

Oh I agree with this 10000%

But I also think that elections (at least in the united states) should not be postponed for any reason.

What we know for an absolute certainty is that all things we've been told we "can't do" have been revealed to be bullshit by this pandemic. We've been told we can't pay for certain things, yet we are coming up with trillions of dollars out of thin air. Many of us were told we couldn't work from home, yet we are now working from home with absolutely no hiccups whatsoever. Voting by mail is the ONLY way to ensure everyone's right (and it is a right) is not infringed in November. The "choice" between killing thousands of people and walking out on election day is not a "choice" at all. There is only one solution. That solution just so happens to eradicate the GOP's decades long war on voting rights, which they damn well know is the only reason they are still in any semblance of power.

Agree.

But cancelling elections work more in the GOP favour. Cancel one, for any reason, GOP and there enablers will attempt cancel more for lesser reasons. Once you establish it can be done, they will attempt to do it over and over again. There is no reason to give them an excuse to do so.

As we have seen with the GOP over and over again they don't need a reason to do something that contradicts a previous position. If a Supreme Court vacancy opened tomorrow the GOP would fill it. The "let the voters" line they used to steal a seat was a lie, Mitch McConnell had admitted as much.

The GOP is an evil organization and needs to be dissolved for the good of the country.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I mean, not for nothing - but there are a number of ways to lower the impact of the Wisconsin primary election tomorrow, chief among them would be Sanders dropping out.

I dont like Biden. I dont like Sanders. If we all agree elections are putting people at risk, and the GOP is content to ensure that large scale mail-in or absentee balloting isnt an option, then the politicians themselves can take it into their own hands...

Recent polling in Wisconsin has Biden up pretty huge anyways - and it's a state that Sanders *should* do better than average in.

Fuck that! If your candidate was still viable but behind in the polls I sincerely doubt you'd feel the same way. Bernie is the best candidate by far now but the odds are against him. So what? Maybe people will wake up. Long shot, but the alternative is a senile old man who can't survive one debate against Trump. Sorry, just my personal opinion...
    edited April 2020
    Balrog99 wrote: »

Fuck that! If your candidate was still viable but behind in the polls I sincerely doubt you'd feel the same way. Bernie is the best candidate by far now but the odds are against him. So what? Maybe people will wake up. Long shot, but the alternative is a senile old man who can't survive one debate against Trump. Sorry, just my personal opinion...

My candidate was Elizabeth Warren. I wanted her to drop out when it became completely clear she wasnt going to be the nominee. Sanders is an equally bad situation now. Maybe worse - So, you're wrong about me in that regard.

Seriously. Sanders would need to win each of the remaining contests by something like 30 to 40 points to take a delegate lead. That's completely infeasible. He isnt going to win. He is going to lose by a significantly worse margin than he did in 2016, and *that* race wasnt very close.

Also, I really dont know where this weird idea that Trump is some kind of debating savant has come from. Have you seen his debates? They were all objectively awful. He isnt a skilled debater in any regard. Hillary Clinton won each debate comfortably, and she was by *no* means a charismatic politician. (Also, she typically did better than Sanders in 2016. So it's not like Sanders is a particularly great debater either).

The idea that Trump is going to beat *anyone* in a debate is very hard for me to believe. He does okayish at rallies when he's infront of an adoring crowd that applauds him for saying anything he wants to say. Answering difficult questions is not something he's good at. If anything he might be worse because he refuses to actually answer difficult questions from the media, and hasnt been doing so for the last few years. I think it's significantly more likely that he would skip the presidential debates than it is that he'd crush Biden in them.

My candidate was Elizabeth Warren. I wanted her to drop out when it became completely clear she wasnt going to be the nominee. Sanders is an equally bad situation now. Maybe worse - So, you're wrong about me in that regard.

Seriously. Sanders would need to win each of the remaining contests by something like 30 to 40 points to take a delegate lead. That's completely infeasible. He isnt going to win. He is going to lose by a significantly worse margin than he did in 2016, and *that* race wasnt very close.

Also, I really dont know where this weird idea that Trump is some kind of debating savant has come from. Have you seen his debates? They were all objectively awful. He isnt a skilled debater in any regard. Hillary Clinton won each debate comfortably, and she was by *no* means a charismatic politician. (Also, she typically did better than Sanders in 2016. So it's not like Sanders is a particularly great debater either).

The idea that Trump is going to beat *anyone* in a debate is very hard for me to believe. He does okayish at rallies when he's infront of an adoring crowd that applauds him for saying anything he wants to say. Answering difficult questions is not something he's good at. If anything he might be worse because he refuses to actually answer difficult questions from the media, and hasnt been doing so for the last few years. I think it's significantly more likely that he would skip the presidential debates than it is that he'd crush Biden in them.

Biden seems to be easily triggered. That's really bad against a loose cannon like Trump. I'm just reading the tea leaves with a little knowledge of how everyday, non-news media believers think...

Biden seems to be easily triggered. That's really bad against a loose cannon like Trump. I'm just reading the tea leaves with a little knowledge of how everyday, non-news media believers think...

Maybe - but weirdly, that has worked in his favor a *lot*. There was a viral moment in the last big set of primaries in which some factory worker guy was accusing Biden of trying to steal his guns, and Biden straight up told him he was "full of shit".

Left twitter lost their minds, but the majority of democrats thought he was just being fiery and honest. If Biden acts that way around Trump, I'm not sure it wouldnt come off as authentic. After all the baggage associated with Clinton, I dont think that's a bad thing - at all.

I think the everyday, non-news media believers like Joe Biden. It's probably one of his strongest areas.
    edited April 2020
    The problem with Wisconsin tomorrow isn't the primary, which it's safe to say at this point is completely meaningless. There is a hugely consequential State Supreme Court seat up for grabs tomorrow. So it goes like this: 1.) SCOTUS rules there can be no extension for absentee ballots. 2.) State GOP knows (as has been born out by polling on this) that Republicans are FAR more likely to be willing to not practice social distancing than Democrats, thus are MUCH more likely to actually go out and vote in public. 3.) They are perfectly willing to see a portion of that electorate die to win the court seat. And I shouldn't even say it's those people who will die. Everyone who becomes infected becomes a vector to infect someone else.

The same dynamic would be at play if there was a possible new round of outbreaks in late October. I think we've established at this point that people who lean left were FAR more likely to take this seriously initially than those on the right, even just based on the media we generally consume. It's not a one to one thing, but the VAST majority of the opposition to social distancing and the resulting economic shutdown is coming from those on the right side of the political spectrum. The very act of adhering to social distancing has become political for many people. If there is no vote by mail system in place, those more likely to vote for Trump are going to be FAR more willing to go to the polls, because many of them still believe this is all some kind of liberal plot.

So the GOP is a death cult.

The Supreme Court of the United States and the Supreme Court of Wisconsin is sending GOP voters to their death to win a lousy state supreme Court seat. A lot of these sheep will get sick and be dead by the General election in November. For what? So powerful people can have just a hair more power.

Screw the GOP legislating from the bench and these activist Justices they need to resign. The country is screwed, for what? The rich to maintain their wealth even if it's costs us our lives.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,366
    The problem with Wisconsin tomorrow isn't the primary, which it's safe to say at this point is completely meaningless. There is a hugely consequential State Supreme Court seat up for grabs tomorrow. So it goes like this: 1.) SCOTUS rules there can be no extension for absentee ballots. 2.) State GOP knows (as has been born out by polling on this) that Republicans are FAR more likely to be willing to not practice social distancing than Democrats, thus are MUCH more likely to actually go out and vote in public. 3.) They are perfectly willing to see a portion of that electorate die to win the court seat. And I shouldn't even say it's those people who will die. Everyone who becomes infected becomes a vector to infect someone else.

The same dynamic would be at play if there was a possible new round of outbreaks in late October. I think we've established at this point that people who lean left were FAR more likely to take this seriously initially than those on the right, even just based on the media we generally consume. It's not a one to one thing, but the VAST majority of the opposition to social distancing and the resulting economic shutdown is coming from those on the right side of the political spectrum. The very act of adhering to social distancing has become political for many people. If there is no vote by mail system in place, those more likely to vote for Trump are going to be FAR more willing to go to the polls, because many of them still believe this is all some kind of liberal plot.

Even if this has been the narrative thus far, I suspect it's likely to have weakened at least somewhat in October. By then, even on a very optimistic projection, there's likely to have been 50,000 deaths in the US - making it pretty hard to argue the whole thing has just been a hoax and/or media hype. No amount of deaths would be likely to convince those who feel it's all a deep State conspiracy or a deliberate attack by the Chinese, but even such people might be a bit less willing to put their lives on the line to go out to the ballot box.
    I love how the left calls Republicans dumb and their voters hicks, and yet somehow the Republicans are able to play this game of 3-Dimensional chess when it comes to the voting system. I sincerely doubt there's anything sinister here other than less risk aversion on the conservative side when it comes to this virus. I'm pretty much in the center I think, and I'll admit, I'm really not that scared of this virus. I'm taking all the precautions, but mostly to protect others from me (just in case). Maybe it's my scientific background along with poker playing that allows me to stay (mostly) calm during this. The odds aren't really that bad for otherwise healthy people.
    . I sincerely doubt there's anything sinister here other than less risk aversion on the conservative side when it comes to this virus.

There's absolutely a coordinated media effort on the Conservative side that's been full of lies and changing goalposts to downplay the risks. It seems like the main reason is to protect the economy. Rich people need lower class "essential workers" to risk their lives to work in order for them to maintain their capital.

Why can't they quit lying? Why can't they be serious people and listen to science? Why put people in danger?
    I'm pretty much in the center I think, and I'll admit, I'm really not that scared of this virus. I'm taking all the precautions, but mostly to protect others from me (just in case). Maybe it's my scientific background along with poker playing that allows me to stay (mostly) calm during this. The odds aren't really that bad for otherwise healthy people.

That's pretty much what everyone should be doing at a minimum - taking it seriously even if you aren't worried about your own health you can infect others and kill them. It seems that many conservatives are unwilling to even make this commitment and are constantly extending the danger with cavalier attitudes, reckless and dangerous measures and bad faith lying in the media. In Wisconsin, people will die in because the GOP are greedy and think it will win them a state supreme Court seat. It's disgusting. The GOP is against national vote by mail too, so more people will die if this virus is not contained by the general election.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited April 2020
    Failed state. Shit-hole country:

https://www.propublica.org/article/a-nurse-bought-protective-supplies-for-her-colleagues-using-gofundme-the-hospital-suspended-her

The only thing we are successful at at this juncture is bombing other countries. Everything else is held together with Elmer's Glue and popsicle sticks.

"There's absolutely a coordinated media effort on the Conservative side that's been full of lies and changing goalposts to downplay the risks. It seems like the main reason is to protect the economy. Rich people need lower class "essential workers" to risk their lives to work in order for them to maintain their capital".

Despite the fact that 10 million people filed for unemployment in 2 weeks (and it will almost certainly be near 20 million when we get the numbers this week), the stock market has been going UP almost daily since that news came down. Translation: the stock market has no bearing on the lives of actual working people. The stock market is going up because we are bailing out blood-sucking corporations for the second time in 12 years. For more insight into the conservative media mindset on this, go check out Ben Shapiro's video on comparing Amazon workers asking for more money for reporting to work in a crisis to price gougers. This is an ideology that was raised on Ayn Rand and never emotionally matured past the age of 15. The only people who matter are those with the most money. Everyone else is a disposable cog who should just be glad they are allowed to still draw air.
    Failed state. Shit-hole country:

https://www.propublica.org/article/a-nurse-bought-protective-supplies-for-her-colleagues-using-gofundme-the-hospital-suspended-her

The only thing we are successful at at this juncture is bombing other countries. Everything else is held together with Elmer's Glue and popsicle sticks.

"There's absolutely a coordinated media effort on the Conservative side that's been full of lies and changing goalposts to downplay the risks. It seems like the main reason is to protect the economy. Rich people need lower class "essential workers" to risk their lives to work in order for them to maintain their capital".

Despite the fact that 10 million people filed for unemployment in 2 weeks (and it will almost certainly be near 20 million when we get the numbers this week), the stock market has been going UP almost daily since that news came down. Translation: the stock market has no bearing on the lives of actual working people. The stock market is going up because we are bailing out blood-sucking corporations for the second time in 12 years. For more insight into the conservative media mindset on this, go check out Ben Shapiro's video on comparing Amazon workers asking for more money for reporting to work in a crisis to price gougers. This is an ideology that was raised on Ayn Rand and never emotionally matured past the age of 15. The only people who matter are those with the most money. Everyone else is a disposable cog who should just be glad they are allowed to still draw air.

The stock market is fantasyland. The reason it's going up is because investors 'feel' like things are either getting better or going to get better soon and don't want to be the last one on-board when things get back to (somewhat) normalcy. It's not real money they're playing with. When the market goes up 10% do you think trillions of dollars magically appear out of thin air? When it goes down 10% does the government burn trillions of dollars of cash?
    edited April 2020
    Yeah, so, they're going to loot the whole place in broad daylight:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/07/trump-removes-independent-watchdog-for-coronavirus-funds-upending-oversight-panel-171943

That took, what, 10 days?? Before a single $1200 check has gone out to regular people, Trump has made sure the oversight provision in the bill has been decapitated. This is gonna make the late 2008 Wall Street bailout look like a Sunday picnic. Do yourself a favor and read The Shock Doctrine. This is disaster capitalism.
    Will Esper do the right thing? Don't hold your breath. There IS a coup going on right now, but it's a right wing takeover by toadies and weak greedy yes-men.
    arxgdt0l1fr41.png

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I was feeling optimistic that the stimulus bill wouldn't just be another massive corporate handout if there was stronger oversight over the spending. But if Trump can simply handpick the folks who oversee the spending, then there's essentially nothing stopping the administration from just directing the funds to allies and cronies, aside from the hypothetical danger that they could get caught and suffer a PR hit. Maybe this is why the GOP ended up giving in to Democratic demands for oversight. The oversight wasn't tied to an independent commission; the Trump administration still can control it.

This is incredibly discouraging. We've had a massive spike in unemployment, over 10,000 people are already dead, businesses are at risk of shutting down, and the Trump administration is just trying to keep stock prices high and bail out their friends. The administration is grabbing at money while people literally die.

I don't know why I expected better. I just can't wrap my head around the notion that this is where the administration's priorities really lie.
    edited April 2020
    Actually, not worth it.
    semiticgod wrote: »
    I was feeling optimistic that the stimulus bill wouldn't just be another massive corporate handout if there was stronger oversight over the spending. But if Trump can simply handpick the folks who oversee the spending, then there's essentially nothing stopping the administration from just directing the funds to allies and cronies, aside from the hypothetical danger that they could get caught and suffer a PR hit. Maybe this is why the GOP ended up giving in to Democratic demands for oversight. The oversight wasn't tied to an independent commission; the Trump administration still can control it.

This is incredibly discouraging. We've had a massive spike in unemployment, over 10,000 people are already dead, businesses are at risk of shutting down, and the Trump administration is just trying to keep stock prices high and bail out their friends. The administration is grabbing at money while people literally die.

I don't know why I expected better. I just can't wrap my head around the notion that this is where the administration's priorities really lie.

Wrap it. You don't want to believe what's right in front of your face is the truth but a duck is a duck.

The Billionaire conman elected to the Presidency is doing billionaire conman things and the Republican party is either afraid to stand up to him or complicit in the looting and stay rich schemes.
    edited April 2020
    Here's a couple good conservatives things amid the rank crap they are up to:

Rand Paul's apparently a doctor and has been helping

----

The acting Navy Secretary who fired and then bashed the Navy Commander who has Coronavirus and was trying to save people's lives has himself been fired by Defense Secretary Esper.
    The Democrats better hope there aren't more stories like this since they felt so obliged to make hydroxychloroquine a political issue. This is exactly why not everything should be viewed as political. The Jackass in Chief might just get votes because of the hysterics on the left.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2020/04/06/democrat-karen-whitsett-coronavirus-hydroxychloroquine-trump/2955430001/
    edited April 2020
    The American conservative mindset encapsulated in 5 sentences. THIS is why they like him. Because they feel the same entitlement:

And if churches want money, how about they pay a single cent of fucking taxes:

The Democrats better hope there aren't more stories like this since they felt so obliged to make hydroxychloroquine a political issue. This is exactly why not everything should be viewed as political. The Jackass in Chief might just get votes because of the hysterics on the left.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2020/04/06/democrat-karen-whitsett-coronavirus-hydroxychloroquine-trump/2955430001/

So one person recovered vs. one person dead and one in intensive care due to the President's medical advice (which he is totally unqualified to give).

Regardless of this one person, Trump should not be peddling false hopes and miracle cures especially when he has a financial stake in the company.

This drug may work, it needs testing. If doctors give the wrong dose, people will die. This drug also is not without serious side effects. It's not something to get taken wily nilly.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

It takes one death, one that was already posted in this thread from taking hydroxychloroquine, to make Trump's statements inappropriate. The drug in this instance was prescribed by a doctor. He personally knew her medical history and knew, a proper sized dosage wouldn't kill her.

This also feels like she is buttering up Trump to get something from him, like I don't know, federal medical supplies for Detroit. People still think praising him is the best way to get something out of him.
    The American conservative mindset encapsulated in 5 sentences. THIS is why they like him. Because they feel the same entitlement:

And if churches want money, how about they pay a single cent of fucking taxes:

First tweet:
    Yea, he's corrupt he's allowed to vote by mail. No need to corrupt others by allowing them vote by mail :trollface:

Second tweet:
    This IMO, is a tricky one. Small local places of worship are probably suffering drastically during this. Megachurches, who are probably going to get to largest chunk of this money, are not. It's very similar to the corporate bailout. Those that actually need the money aren't going to receive it, so what may look like a good thing on the surface is total bull crap.

So one person recovered vs. one person dead and one in intensive care due to the President's medical advice (which he is totally unqualified to give).

Regardless of this one person, Trump should not be peddling false hopes and miracle cures especially when he has a financial stake in the company.

This drug may work, it needs testing. If doctors give the wrong dose, people will die. This drug also is not without serious side effects. It's not something to get taken wily nilly.

Her doctor prescribed it for her. I don't think it's as risky as they're making us think. Must be nice having such instant access to the best medical care. Guess I should have become a Congressman.
    edited April 2020

Her doctor prescribed it for her. I don't think it's as risky as they're making us think. Must be nice having such instant access to the best medical care. Guess I should have become a Congressman.

The problem is he's selling it explicitly as a cure. We have anecdotal evidence it relieves symptoms in people who have more mild cases. Which no one has ever denied. It sure as shit isn't bringing people on ventilators back to normal. And, again, this is a legitimate drug. People with lupus and arthritis use it all the time, under doctor supervision. There are now shortages:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/health/hydroxychloroquine-shortage-lupus-arthritis/index.html

Key lines to me are from pharmacists:

Since Trump started touting the combination in mid-March pharmacists have found doctors writing prescriptions of the two drugs -- for themselves and for their family and friends.
    "A dentist just tried to call in scripts for hydroxychloroquine + azithromycin for himself, his wife, & another couple (friends)," Oregon pharmacist Katherine Rowland tweeted on March 22. "NOPE. I have patients with lupus that have been on HCQ for YEARS and now can't get it because it's on backorder."

Two weeks later, Atlanta pharmacist Ira Katz is still experiencing the same thing.
    "I'm getting electronic prescriptions from all over the country from doctors I don't know for patients I don't know," he said. "We want to make sure that there's enough out there for the patients that are going to need it."

What this would indicate to me is that doctors (and apparently dentists) are writing bogus prescriptions for this for their rich friends to take PREEMPTIVELY. And we would know for an absolute certainty that a dentist would have absolutely NO way of knowing what a proper or safe dosage would be. And unless the doctors doing this have done extensive cardiovascular screenings of all the family members they are writing these for, they wouldn't either. It's malpractice. The should lose their licenses. There is clearly an effort being made by some to stash supplies of the drug before they even have the virus.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited April 2020
    The only people who matter are those with the most money. Everyone else is a disposable cog who should just be glad they are allowed to still draw air.
    But that's how it really is and how is always has been. Last time people in my country decided to change the natural order of things, they invited 70 years of slavery to authoritarian state upon themselves. I'd rather die as free man during epidemy, working for a dollar because I've got nothing left to eat, than trade my freedom to the state for a safe cage with guaranteed light, bread and water in it.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,366
    What this would indicate to me is that doctors (and apparently dentists) are writing bogus prescriptions for this for their rich friends to take PREEMPTIVELY. And we would know for an absolute certainty that a dentist would have absolutely NO way of knowing what a proper or safe dosage would be. And unless the doctors doing this have done extensive cardiovascular screenings of all the family members they are writing these for, they wouldn't either. It's malpractice. The should lose their licenses. There is clearly an effort being made by some to stash supplies of the drug before they even have the virus.

It's been used not only for treatment of active malaria, but as a preventive against the possible risk of malaria since at least WWII. Like millions of other people have done, I took it when travelling in 1992/93 in places like Africa - because it's relatively safe as drugs go. It's much less used now for malaria because of the spread of resistant strains of the disease, but that extensive history of use means that information about safe(ish) dosages is widely known.

How effective it is against Covid-19 is another question of course and I agree that Trump should not be touting it as a miracle cure against the advice of his scientific advisers ...
    Grond0 wrote: »

It's been used not only for treatment of active malaria, but as a preventive against the possible risk of malaria since at least WWII. Like millions of other people have done, I took it when travelling in 1992/93 in places like Africa - because it's relatively safe as drugs go. It's much less used now for malaria because of the spread of resistant strains of the disease, but that extensive history of use means that information about safe(ish) dosages is widely known.

How effective it is against Covid-19 is another question of course and I agree that Trump should not be touting it as a miracle cure against the advice of his scientific advisers ...

Dentists?? Come on.......