Skip to content

The Road to 2.6 | Can you download and start Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition 2.6 Beta on Steam?

Comments

• spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    Can play - yes
    Do you hear sounds - yes
    Does the music play - yes

Windows 10 Pro, AMD Ryzen 7 3750H, RTX2060 6GB, 16GB RAM Laptop.
    JuliusBorisov
  • DonCzirrDonCzirr Member Posts: 165
    edited July 2020
    Was not installed to start with but was in my steam library.

Installed

Set for beta

Game launched

Froze on that initial splash screen to select the main campaign Black Pits or SOD.

Alt tabbed out - went back in and was then able to proceed.

Everything else seemed fine.
    JuliusBorisov
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited July 2020
    Can you play the game - yes
    Do you hear sounds - yes

Windows 10 Home, NVIDIA GTX 1660Ti 6GB, 16GB RAM, Intel I7-9750H 2,60GHz Laptop

First impressions: Polish font on menu looks nicer, there are no differences in font size between various menu options (I remember this looked so-so in 2.5). Maybe it's because I have many applications opened, but the map scrolling is far from being smooth.
    JuliusBorisov
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    edited July 2020
    Windows 10 pro, 2004, on a thinkpad P51s (equals a T570 with Intel 620 GPU+Quadro GPU/drivers instead of Geforce), some mobile i7,16gb ram, ssd, internal mainboard sound codec, 15" 4k screen.

- Download successful
    - First start: successful*
    - Create a character and start a game (BG1 portion and SOD portion): successful
    - Hear sounds background and action: yes
    - Hear music: yes (Start screen, Videos, In-game)
    - do some spells (with a level 1 shaman in candlekeep): no glitches (casting animation, area effect)
    - restart and force the game to nvidia Quadro M520 (Optimus) instead of Intel 620 GPU: repeat spell testing, works too (both with openGL renderer, didn't test the directx renderer!)

(- Change language to German, restart, ... BG1 is german, SOD interface and some log feedback is german, game content is english. if the german SOD translation is integrated, it's not working yet for me)

* successful means:

The game started (no change in behaviour from 2.5.x) like running on 3840x2160 resolution that my display is, unscaled interface, so everything is super small on a 15" screen (it would be okay on a 30" screen). This is because the game does not detect the screen's pixel density (that is around 300ppi instead of the more commonplace 100-140ppi) windows 10's hiDPI scaling factor (set to 200% in my system).

Windows 10 has settings for highDPI screens, scaling all interface to a factor (let's say 200% for simplicity, but adjustable in 1% steps). So in applications that are dpi aware and respect the setting, everything is sized as if on a 1920x1080 resolution (200% of the size it would be on the actual hardware 3840x2160), but ui elements and fonts rendering is high-res (rendered to hardware pixel density, not just stupidly blurring things).
    Further reads:
    Effects: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsdeveloper/2017/04/04/high-dpi-scaling-improvements-desktop-applications-windows-10-creators-update/
    Development: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/hidpi/high-dpi-desktop-application-development-on-windows

I can zoom in the game content to a useful level, but the UI stays super small of course. If i activate the UI scaling button, everything UI related becomes rather mostrous, and worse than that, the game content maximum zoom-out is locked at a level that is not really showing much (feels like bg2 vanilla 1024 size from 2001). i can zoom in like crazy to no use ...

so ... i quit the game, go to the exe file and call the properties and compatibility settings for hiDPI screens. I set it to "System (Advanced)", which means that windows takes over control and fake-tells the exe that the display is actually 1920x1080 resolution. which is not true, but it tricks the program into an UI size for non-scaled UI that is usuable and not too big. The "advanced" means that windows try to do all the rendering that it has influence on at highDPI, making the result sharper instead of smaller. In Infinity Engine this means it renders the fonts sharper which is nice to have as it works ... without the "advanced" the result is the same, just the text is more blurry.
    So this kinda works, it's just a concern regarding compatibility for years to come when the game already has to run on compatibility settings on screens that are not in the 100-150ppi range ... hires-displays are getting more common, so more and more people will have to deal with that the one or the other way (too small interface, or too big interface and bad zoom limits, or fiddling with system compatibility settings if they are available to them).

Solution A: make the games DPI aware, respecting the user-set factor windows provides and adjust the UI scaling (be it "unscaled" or scaled) and zoom min/max-limits to that value. No one is expecting you to do a real 4k do-over with sharper UI or game content, but make the games compatible with these screens out of the box by at least respecting the systems scale factor and adjust sizes accordingly to that.
    Solution B: at least provide an in-game scaling slider that allows settings somewhere between "unscaled" and "max-scaled" UI (and don't forget to adjust the content zoom min-maxes). This would allow to run without a system compatibility setting, the game thinks it's running on a normal ppi screen but it allows to scale the UI and zoom ranges more flexibly to compensate it's own ppi unawareness.

(been there 2017, i just found the old thread again ... https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/929813
    ATigersClawJuliusBorisov
  • Flex_BuffchestFlex_Buffchest Member Posts: 1
    Can launch game on device: yes (Windows 10 Home, 64-bit)

Graphics - Work just fine (GTX 1060)

Sounds - Work just fine

Music - Works just fine

All good.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ArkieArkie Member Posts: 9
    Arkie wrote: »
    Windows 10 2004 x64
    BG1 w/o SoD crashes on startup.
    SoD game works fine. Some lines on Russian version are English.
    Specs:
    Dell G5 5587 with Intel core i5-8300H and Nvidia Geforce 1060 max-q

UPD: Sounds and music are fine. I hear ambient in Candlekeep and music in the tavern.
    I can confirm @Bubb and @Romeo_Red glitches.
    I can clearly see animation graphic glitches on the DirectX renderer:
    14wz1fgd6qvd.png
    On OpenGL it's less noticeable:
    gh9syt2pp27o.png
    I have a problem with combat log. it doesn't scroll to the last line and hides it.
    8tscq2jaywps.gif

Vanilla BG1EE still crashes on startup. I can launch 2.5 version without any problems. I'll attach dmp file. Hope it'll help find the issue.
    JuliusBorisovanastielRomeo_Red
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    Sound, music, graphics and gameplay seem to work fine here.

AMD Ryzen 3700X
    ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi)
    Geforce 1070 Ti (451.48)
    16GB RAM
    Windows 10 - 2004
    JuliusBorisov
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Arkie wrote: »
    I have a problem with combat log. it doesn't scroll to the last line and hides it.
    8tscq2jaywps.gif
    I can confirm this on BG:EE+SoD. I do not experience this on BG:EE without SoD.

JuliusBorisov
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    Baldur's Gate on macOS 10.15.5
    Steam popup:
    "An error occured while updating Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (missing executable):
    /Users/<censored>/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app
    "

Same error here.
    JuliusBorisov
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Romeo_Red wrote: »
    Does the music play?
    Mostly yes, but there is no music in Candlekeep. After leaving Candlekeep, the music starts to play normally.
    Mokona wrote: »
    >Does the music play?
    Yes, but not in Candlekeep for some reason. Seems to work everywhere else.

Candlekeep doesn't have a music soundtrack in the prologue--this goes back to the original game. It does have a soundtrack when you return later in the game.
    AedanJuliusBorisov
  • ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    I hope all the graphical glitches will be fixed. Ideally, old graphics renderer should be restored(as far as i remember it was Catmull-Rom renderer). Ever since 2.0 patch came out, all video problems appeard.
    Flashburn
  • MokonaMokona Member Posts: 89
    Parys wrote: »
    Ever since 2.0 patch came out, all video problems appeard.

Indeed. Would be great to see the old renderer with all the new features/fixes.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    edited July 2020
    Hi! I tried the German version of BG:EE 2.6 beta but the creation screen is not fully equipped with text yet (EDIT: this is BG:EE without SoD DLC enabled). Going through the PC creation process leads to CTD (freezing of game) at different instances. It says it created a crash dumb but I do not see the equivalent folder/file in my user/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition folder.
    d7yrrloqr4ss.png
    90bf1dx7ns93.png

I'm on Windows 8.1, 64 Bit system.

Where do the other question originate from people are answering (Do you hear music etcpp.)?

Post edited by jastey on
    JuliusBorisovAedan
  • BarachielBarachiel Member Posts: 82
    I've downloaded the beta and made it the login screens. I even switched between the 3 campaigns, just to see. So far, so good.
    JuliusBorisov
  • CrocTheOneCrocTheOne Member Posts: 1
    What I found in tutorial, are not so important like all above but I must inform. (I use 64bit Win8.1)

38smg325iui1.jpg
    Play_Game_Button placeholder
    y2ptmqxd43il.jpg
    Map goes crazy when "Area Map Background" is active
    cbi70b4zst1e.jpg
    Game stacks popups, scripted encounters doesnt allow to quit from other windows, even tutorial is flawless this serious interruptions block the UI and couldn't find and click buttons.
    7lhoeakytcyj.jpg
    "placeholder" Branwen's class is not coded

This is my 2 cent for tutorial now I'll check on main game. Spells somelike sluggish but all have been reported above. Nothing new or unsaid.
    anastielJuliusBorisovAedan
  • VerthissVerthiss Member Posts: 22
    CrocTheOne wrote: »
    Map goes crazy when "Area Map Background" is active

I have the same problem with crazy lines on the area map.
    JuliusBorisov
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Can you play the game - yes
    Do you hear sounds - yes

As others reported no music in Candlekeep.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Everything seems to be working as intended. Start screen showed v2.6, music was playing, sounds were playing, and graphics seemed normal. I started a new game (using Abdel's pre-made file) and heard music and sounds even in Candlekeep.

System: GE72VR 6RF Apache Pro Laptop
    System Specs:
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
    RAM: 16GB
    System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1060
    JuliusBorisov
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited July 2020
    Play: Yes.
    Hear Sounds: Yes.
    Music Play: Yes.

Gimme that Windows key shortcut thingumy for finding my specifications, and I'll copy my information for youse all.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    edited July 2020
    As I already have the steam version of bg i can join the beta testing.

WINDOWS 7 x64 Intel HD Graphic 3000 - LAPTOP:
    Objective #1: Hardware Compatibility Test (Duration: 10min)
    Can you launch Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition on your device? YES
    Do the graphics display correctly? YES
    Do you hear sounds? YES
    Does the music play? YES

I have noticed a bug. When you clicking multiple times on your character it will stop "speaking". This bug touch any other NPC.

Edit:
    I have found graphical glitches
    othc5myaw1dr.jpg
    wfxygxshs261.jpg

Post edited by Parys on
    JuliusBorisov
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    To everyone saying "no music in Candlekeep" - I just loaded up the original + TotSC. There's no music in Candlekeep there either.
    mlnevese
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Green across the board.

Booted it up, Sounds and Music were fine. Graphics were normal.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Sam_Sam_ Member Posts: 172
    • Can you launch Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition on your device?
    Yes. Running Windows 10 Home Version 1909, 64-bit os on x64-based Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU @2.6GHz. 16.0 GB RAM. Game reports "OpenGL version 4.4.0 - Build 21.20.16.4550 - build XXXX running on Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 driver provided by Intel." It also works on my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M.
    • Do the graphics display correctly?
    Yes
    • Do you hear sounds?
    Yes
    • Does the music play?
    Yes
    JuliusBorisov
  • fetito666fetito666 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 204
    I updated it to the beta 2.6, bt my old savegames won't get downloaded from the Steam Cloud.

Is there a workaround?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431

My system: OS: Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 (64-bit), CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.20 GHz, RAM: 32 GB, GPU (reported by the game): OpenGL version 4.6.13587 Compatibility Profile Context 20.4.2 26.20.15029.27017 - build XXXX running on Radeon RX 580 Series driver provided by ATI Technologies, Inc.

Can you launch Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition on your device?
    Yes.

Do the graphics display correctly?
    Yes.

Do you hear sounds?
    Yes.

Does the music play?
    Yes.
    AedanJuliusBorisov
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    fetito666 wrote: »
    I updated it to the beta 2.6, bt my old savegames won't get downloaded from the Steam Cloud.

Is there a workaround?

They're probably incompatible. 2.6 switches to 64bit.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    jastey wrote: »
    Hi! I tried the German version of BG:EE 2.6 beta but the creation screen is not fully equipped with text yet. Going through the PC creation process leads to CTD (freezing of game) at different instances. I'm on Windows 8.1, 64 Bit system.

I just tried this (german 2.6.0.0) and can not confirm, i just created several characters, even with umlaut ä (Geisterjäger) in their name.

But i have SOD installed and getting the SOD GUI. Your screenshot is from BG1:EE interface if i get that right? So maybe it is different there.

If so, is there a way to switch it while having SOD installed? (I do have BG:EE on beamdog client, and i thought i had it transferred to steam once, but it's not offered to me there, neither 2.5 nor 2.6, so maybe i didn't).
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    edited July 2020
    @BelegCuthalion Yes I explicitely did this for BG:EE without SoD as I though this thread is meant this way.
    SoD is treated as a DLC to BG:EE in Steam. For me, if I open the BG:EE in Steam, it lists SoD below with a link saying "Manage your DLC here". Going there I can "Manage your DLC" and there I can toggle "Enabled" which I deactivated to get only BG:EE.

EDIT: Yes, for the BG:EE game in an SoD game, the German menue for creating a new PC is complete with text.
  • SourSour Member Posts: 82
    edited July 2020
    I sold my GPU and intend to buy a new Nvidia 3080TI this fall but until then I've decided to test this using the built in Intel UHD 630 GPU on my 9900K CPU. Intel can't force vertical sync in open gl so I've been using the alternate renderer for direct X.

I didn't have any problems with sound or game crashes. I did notice that the fireball spell doesn't render properly. It doesn't fan out when it hits the target area like it's supposed to. Other than that, the operning text is out of timing with the narrator which has been fixed in the past and then broken again at some point and probably should be fixed again.

Good things that I've noticed is that the strange lines that appear in water and around casting animations has been fixed. Good job on that.

Intel I9 9900K CPU
    Asus STRIX 390 mobo
    Corsair DDR4 4000Mhz RAM 32GB
    Samsung 970 NVME 2TB
    Microsoft Windows 10 64bit pro.
    JuliusBorisov
This discussion has been closed.