Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I would honestly be surprised if the Chinese government were not spying on people using TikTok. Spying on people en masse is standard CCP behavior. China is a notorious surveillance state and the Chinese leadership is well-known for their affection for collecting and using data, one of the reasons their government, however corrupt, has been very high-functioning since the 1970s (I don't like government surveillance, but I do wish our government placed that much importance on statistics).

I don't know if the app poses a real security threat or how useful the data would be for which Chinese government interests, but it would be unusual for the Chinese government not to spy on people when it has an opportunity to do so.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited August 2020
    It is so obvious at this point they are doing everything but saying, verbatim, "it's fine for Republicans to vote by mail, but not Democrats." It's fine for Republican Presidents to appoint Supreme Court Justices, but not Democrats. See what's going on here??
    BallpointManThacoBellsmeagolheart
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    semiticgod wrote: »
    I would honestly be surprised if the Chinese government were not spying on people using TikTok. Spying on people en masse is standard CCP behavior. China is a notorious surveillance state and the Chinese leadership is well-known for their affection for collecting and using data, one of the reasons their government, however corrupt, has been very high-functioning since the 1970s (I don't like government surveillance, but I do wish our government placed that much importance on statistics).

I don't know if the app poses a real security threat or how useful the data would be for which Chinese government interests, but it would be unusual for the Chinese government not to spy on people when it has an opportunity to do so.

I’d rather the Chinese government have my information, in which they can do very little with, than a tech giant like Microsoft who can do much more with it. That said, I have no interest in using the App, or any social media app for that matter.

If there is spying software through TikTok (hasn’t be proven) then just handing over that software isn’t appropriate if one is looking to protect the privacy of the American people. It makes zero sense.

It’s just another sham that no one really cares about because TikTok is such a trivial thing compared to everything else he should be focusing on.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    Also, I'm sure people have heard the buzz with the Axios interview. I just watched it (37 minutes long)

It's incredible how narcissistic Trump is. The empathy he clearly lacks, and how completely unready he is (and was) for the task of being President.
    edited August 2020
    His pronunciation of Yosemite as "Yo semite" was beyond ridiculous. Who the hell hasn't heard of Yosemite National Park by the time they are in their mid-70s??
    smeagolheart
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited August 2020
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    His pronunciation of Yosemite as "Yo semite" was beyond ridiculous. Who the hell hasn't heard of Yosemite National Park by the time they are in their mid-70s??

Especially if they hold the office of president

In the U.K. mini Trump has just appointed his own brother to the HoL - I’m going to have a big laugh next time they question democratic processes elsewhere in the world
    Post edited by ilduderino on
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,567

An out-of-touch Manhattan elite!
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    DinoDin wrote: »

An out-of-touch Manhattan elite!

Who never watched Bugs Bunny cartoons...

35qbljgadguh.jpeg
    Grond0ThacoBellBallpointManArvia
    edited August 2020
    The idea that Trump ever watched or enjoyed cartoons as a child is completely unfathomable to me. His niece's book actually explains quite well how he became this way. His father was a joyless, sociopathic monster, and that is what his son became as well.
    edited August 2020
    I see now we're just gonna install this walking Neo-con corpse to pick up right where he left off in the '80s:

I see now we're just gonna install this walking Neo-con corpse to pick up right where he left off in the '80s:

Wow, that guy instantly reminded me of Snidely Whiplash. All he needs is the moustache...

1p2wv5cj84e6.png
    The human gaffe machine is at it again...

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/06/joe-biden-latino-african-american-remark-392354

I want Trump gone and as such I still can't believe this clown was the best the Democrats could come up with to beat him. And no, I don't care if he was 'taken out of context'. His awareness of the scrutiny he's going to be under is seemingly nill. He's one angry rant in a debate away from blowing his chances and he is far too easily triggered for my liking...
    Balrog99 wrote: »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/06/joe-biden-latino-african-american-remark-392354

I want Trump gone and as such I still can't believe this clown was the best the Democrats could come up with to beat him. And no, I don't care if he was 'taken out of context'. His awareness of the scrutiny he's going to be under is seemingly nill. He's one angry rant in a debate away from blowing his chances and he is far too easily triggered for my liking...

Well until you all discover rank ballots you are stuck with this idiocy. You are stuck with having a president who never won a majority in the primary until mid April when he won his home state and by that time, he was almost already guaranteed the nomination. I am pretty sure Cruz and Kasich supporters would have preferred the other over Trump.

The same can be said with the democratic primary this time around. I am pretty sure if the ballots were actually ranked, Warren and Biden supporters would have faired much better.

And just remember how easily Trump is triggered. Biden, IMO, will be the lesser of two evils for the next 4 years regardless of what comes out his mouth in the next 2 to 3 months.
    ThacoBellsemiticgoddess

Yeah. That's a dumb thing for him to say.

Quick question - when was Biden's last big gaffe?
    ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Balrog99 "I want Trump gone and as such I still can't believe this clown was the best the Democrats could come up with to beat him."

Eh, I'd say he wasn't the worst, at best. The best is debateable, but the Democratic party is afraid of internal shakeups as much as the Republican party. So he was the least "radical" choice that had a chance, I'd say.
    BallpointManDinoDin
    I honestly don’t know what Trump is thinking, or where he is getting his advise from, but a lot of what he is doing lately is backfiring.

Take the new aluminum tariffs against Canada he announced yesterday. Just like last time, Canada is slapping retaliatory targeted tariffs on American products dollar for dollar. https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/canada-plotting-3-6b-retaliation-over-trump-s-tariffs-1.5055241

From the article:

In a statement, President and CEO of the Aluminum Association Tom Dobbins said his organization — which represents aluminum production and jobs in the United States — called the reports of dumping “grossly exaggerated,” and “cherry-picked” from the data by a small set of companies that are set to benefit.

It’s the worst time to do something like as well. I don’t see how he is winning everyone over by making things more expensive during a recession caused by a pandemic.

He’s desperately attempting to change the conversation away from COVID but it’d not working and he just keeps digging a bigger hole. Maybe he does want to burn everything down before he leaves office.
    Balrog99ThacoBellGrond0
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,567

This is barely a gaffe. Biden is talking like a pollster instead of how we want politicians to talk. But from a polling point of view, it's obviously quite true that Latinos tend to be more split in their vote choice than black americans. There's nothing all that absurd in noting it, it's just politically incorrect to do so. Which I thought ostensible conservatives were against?
    Grond0BallpointManThacoBell
    edited August 2020
    The mendacity of these fuckers is just off the charts. Again, for what seems like the 100th time, they truly, truly believe and count on their supporters being dumb enough to swallow this. The ACA already does this. We all know this. We all know this Administration is still, to this hour, fighting in court to dismantle it. And now Trump is trying to take credit for the most popular part of a law that passed 10 years ago against the objections of the entire Republican Party:

semiticgoddessThacoBell
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    If Trump actually does what he is threatening to do and issues executive orders to extend unemployment and eviction suspensions because the negotiations are, of course, failing, I would be pleasantly surprised. Would anyone really challenge it?

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/08/07/us/politics/07reuters-health-coronavirus-usa-orders-explainer.html
    If Trump actually does what he is threatening to do and issues executive orders to extend unemployment and eviction suspensions because the negotiations are, of course, failing, I would be pleasantly surprised. Would anyone really challenge it?

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/08/07/us/politics/07reuters-health-coronavirus-usa-orders-explainer.html

Practical question at that point becomes "why even have a Congress"??
    Balrog99

Practical question at that point becomes "why even have a Congress"??

Exactly my thoughts. Congress would be forced to challenge it on Constitutional grounds. That's probably exactly what Trump wants. His followers who 'supposedly' are all about the sanctity of the Constitution probably have no idea of the separation of powers...

While I support keeping those things in place, it's partially his fault that we havent reached a deal yet. The GOP is negotiating as sort of a unified block, where the White House and Congressional Republicans are presenting the same position. IIRC, it was the White House that recently shot down the Democrat's compromise offer on stimulus.

So this just seems like a weird, unconstitutional attempt at political showmanship. If he was serious about keeping those things in place, he'd be doing more in the negotiations to get the GOP to "yes".
    ThacoBell
    edited August 2020
    All Trump would have to do to get Republican Senators to cower in the corner and vote for a big spending bill is sent out a tweet saying he'd support a primary opponent against them (like he did for the asshole from Kentucky in the House the first go-round) and that would be that. Republicans are mortally terrified of him unleashing the cult on them. He'd have the 15 or so votes he needed in 48 hours.

It remains absolutely absurd that Republicans don't want to give people mass amounts of cash 90 days before an election when the Democrats are perfectly fine with it, plus has the added effect of actually being necessary. But Trump isn't running any negotiations, Mark Meadows is. And he is a Tea Party, deficit hawk true believer. This is where the laziness part comes in. He'd rather pontificate in front of a crowd at his golf club than wrangle votes. Moreover, people like Susan Collins, Corey Gardner, and Martha McSally, who are all in serious trouble in their races, need this to happen if they have any hope of keeping the Senate. This all tells me that either McConnell is a.) convinced they are going to lose or b.) isn't worried because he's certain the election will sabotaged. The Friday Night massacre at the Post Office last evening indicates they are trying to do so in plain sight.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651

While I support keeping those things in place, it's partially his fault that we havent reached a deal yet. The GOP is negotiating as sort of a unified block, where the White House and Congressional Republicans are presenting the same position. IIRC, it was the White House that recently shot down the Democrat's compromise offer on stimulus.

So this just seems like a weird, unconstitutional attempt at political showmanship. If he was serious about keeping those things in place, he'd be doing more in the negotiations to get the GOP to "yes".

I mostly agree, which is why I said it would be a pleasant surprise. I don't think he seriously wants to do it, if he did, he would just do so, or like you say, come to an agreement. I could almost believe he was seriously trying to get an agreement made if he went this route, but again, it's unlikely. Mostly campaign showboating, something he is particularly guilty of. Campaign Trump doesn't resemble President Trump one bit.
    BallpointMan

I mostly agree, which is why I said it would be a pleasant surprise. I don't think he seriously wants to do it, if he did, he would just do so, or like you say, come to an agreement. I could almost believe he was seriously trying to get an agreement made if he went this route, but again, it's unlikely. Mostly campaign showboating, something he is particularly guilty of. Campaign Trump doesn't resemble President Trump one bit.

Yeah. That's fair. And to be frank - even it is political showmanship, I'm pretty well onboard with preventing evictions and rescinding of unemployment subsidies right now, no matter who is making it happen.

It remains absolutely absurd that Republicans don't want to give people mass amounts of cash 90 days before an election when the Democrats are perfectly fine with it, plus has the added effect of actually being necessary. But Trump isn't running any negotiations, Mark Meadows is. And he is a Tea Party, deficit hawk true believer. This is where the laziness part comes in. He'd rather pontificate in front of a crowd at his golf club than wrangle votes. Moreover, people like Susan Collins, Corey Gardner, and Martha McSally, who are all in serious trouble in their races, need this to happen if they have any hope of keeping the Senate. This all tells me that either McConnell is a.) convinced they are going to lose or b.) isn't worried because he's certain the election will sabotaged. The Friday Night massacre at the Post Office last evening indicates they are trying to do so in plain sight.

I'm sure it's a political calculation. I hate to be so cynical, but I suspect the GOP wants to pass piecemeal stimulus so they hold steady for now and then go all in on a big stimulus closer to the elections, when they might get greater political benefit from it.
    semiticgoddessThacoBell
    edited August 2020
    He's now just acting unilaterally as if the other branches don't exist and Congress doesn't have the power of the purse. A payroll tax holiday, which he claims he will make permanent (he can't) if reelected. That would essentially totally defund Social Security and Medicare. Then there is this:

And if he is going to extend unemployment benefits (again, I have no idea how this is remotely constitutional), why the hell wouldn't he keep the current $600.00 and cut it to $400.00??

Keep in mind, none of this seems on it's face to be remotely legal, nor do we have any idea what authority he has to implement this. I go back to what I said before, why do we even have Congress or the courts if this is how we're going to do things?? This is basically just Trump writing laws and signing them.

By the way, on the unemployment, his "order" says states will have to cover 25% of the costs. Again, on what authority, and with what money?? This is beyond being disingenuous about fiscal responsibility, this is just making shit up that sounds good but can't possibly be implemented in reality without destroying entitlements and bankrupting states. Many States must keep a balanced budget. Only the federal government can go into deep debt and print money.

If this is the road we're going down, why doesn't Biden just sign a paper that abolishes the Electoral College and confiscates the assets of the Trump Organization in January?? He is also contemplating EOs that would direct certain ballots to not be mailed to their recipients, and to disqualify others. I mean, what is this shit??

Edit: this is yet another situation where he declares something and very little of it may actually happen. The extension of unemployment is almost wholly contingent on the states with a myriad of hurdles described in this thread:

So what happens now that he has gone on national television and promised all of this and people don't see it take place??

Gonna summarize as best I can here:

Payroll tax holiday: essentially defunds the two most popular social welfare programs in history, and would have to be paid back in bulk by everyone next year

Unemployment: half of what it was, and contingent on cash strapped states footing a large part of the bill and all the administrative costs

Evictions: Basically nothing whatsoever

In other words, about what you'd expect from an announcement made at a golf club. A whole lot of bullshit that MILLIONS of people are now likely expecting to come to fruition instantaneously. There isn't just some fine print here, it's ALL fine print.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
    ThacoBell
    He's now just acting unilaterally as if the other branches don't exist and Congress doesn't have the power of the purse. A payroll tax holiday, which he claims he will make permanent (he can't) if reelected. That would essentially totally defund Social Security and Medicare. Then there is this:

And if he is going to extend unemployment benefits (again, I have no idea how this is remotely constitutional), why the hell wouldn't he keep the current $600.00 and cut it to $400.00??

Keep in mind, none of this seems on it's face to be remotely legal, nor do we have any idea what authority he has to implement this. I go back to what I said before, why do we even have Congress or the courts if this is how we're going to do things?? This is basically just Trump writing laws and signing them.

By the way, on the unemployment, his "order" says states will have to cover 25% of the costs. Again, on what authority, and with what money?? This is beyond being disingenuous about fiscal responsibility, this is just making shit up that sounds good but can't possibly be implemented in reality without destroying entitlements and bankrupting states. Many States must keep a balanced budget. Only the federal government can go into deep debt and print money.

If this is the road we're going down, why doesn't Biden just sign a paper that abolishes the Electoral College and confiscates the assets of the Trump Organization in January?? He is also contemplating EOs that would direct certain ballots to not be mailed to their recipients, and to disqualify others. I mean, what is this shit??

Edit: this is yet another situation where he declares something and very little of it may actually happen. The extension of unemployment is almost wholly contingent on the states with a myriad of hurdles described in this thread:

So what happens now that he has gone on national television and promised all of this and people don't see it take place??

Gonna summarize as best I can here:

Payroll tax holiday: essentially defunds the two most popular social welfare programs in history, and would have to be paid back in bulk by everyone next year

Unemployment: half of what it was, and contingent on cash strapped states footing a large part of the bill and all the administrative costs

Evictions: Basically nothing whatsoever

In other words, about what you'd expect from an announcement made at a golf club. A whole lot of bullshit that MILLIONS of people are now likely expecting to come to fruition instantaneously. There isn't just some fine print here, it's ALL fine print.

Cheeky bastard actually.

Larger states (read mostly democratic run) with higher population counts won’t be able to afford the 25%, however, smaller ones (read red) with lower populations (and who will place as many restrictions as possible to actually be able to get the money, hence part 3 in the tweet) will.

He will then be able to blame the governors of the states for refusing the funding and not helping the people.

This is him just passing the blame.

And if Democrats fight him on this, the perception will be (and the right wing media will say) that the democratically controlled congress is preventing people from getting this money that Trump desperately wants to give to the those who are affected.

It’s lose lose.

Congress will continue to stall any other relief packaging while this all plays out.
    edited August 2020
    Democrats passed a bill fully funding unemployment at the current level months ago. Of course, no one knows this, because Mitch McConnell buried it and Trump's press conferences get 1000x more media attention. But the payroll tax allows Democrats to legitimately say to seniors that he is defunding Socia Security and Medicare by Executive Order. "Payroll taxes" are not referring to your income withholding. They are specifically the Social Security and Medicare lines. Seniors don't get paychecks anymore. They don't give a shit about $40 every check getting deferred til April when it all has to be paid back because they aren't on a payroll. But there are few, if any things they care about more than their Social Security and Medicare.

Saying you will abolish the payroll tax if reelected is functionally no different than saying you will stop funding the two pillars of stability of nearly every American over the age of 65. They are why those payroll taxes exist. It's true alot of Americans don't know this (which he is banking on) but the AARP will certainly educate their members pronto. He's already hemorrhaging seniors, I see no way this does anything but solidify that trend. Theae are the people who vote EVERY election day.