Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Arvia wrote: »
    I don't find Jan Jansen entertaining at all. And playing spellcasters isn't fun for me.

i need to play with jan more and see more of his banters with other party members before i officially disown him.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    megamike15 wrote: »
    I don't find Jan Jansen entertaining at all. And playing spellcasters isn't fun for me.

i need to play with jan more and see more of his banters with other party members before i officially disown him.

He has some great banters with other characters, but after a while, you will have an irresistible urge to stone him with turnips. If you can get past the turnip BS, though, he is a great illusionist. I've had him in parties that went all the way to the end and he pulled his weight the whole time.
    Balrog99AerakarWise_GrimwaldStummvonBordwehr
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    megamike15 wrote: »

I recommend running him with Minsc and Sarevok both in party. You will start to feel bad for Sarevok, or laugh at him. THat too.
    megamike15AerakarWise_Grimwald
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    - all IE games should have some amount of "radiant quests" (semi-randomly generated, infinite pool of quests a la Skyrim)
    - NPCs not in the current active party should still gain XP (at a lower rate, see Pillars of Eternity) - what are they doing, twiddling their thumbs until I come to pick them up again?
    Sure, let me just get my time machine and tell 1996 Black Isle Studios to implement these things. I'm sure they won't mind.
    ThacoBellMoomintroll
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I've seen others here hating on it, but I really like the steampunky magitech aesthetic of BG2 in places like Irenicus' dungeon and the Planar sphere.
    AerakarThacoBellParys
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    I will concur that it would be nice to have more quests, even low XP ones, to make the city feel less static towards the end. The fact that you can literally run out of things to do feels a bit absurd.

On the other hand, too many and you end up with the crew i have at the moment. They are about to board the ship to Brynnlaw having just gotten their first round of HLAs. Except Aerie - but she got a late start.
  • ReticentReticent Member Posts: 122
    edited June 2020
    Well, Athkatla is a city so full of adventurers that you can find yourself murdering 3 or 4 full parties of them in just your first weekend in town. It's no wonder the local economy is teetering on the verge of experiencing a quest shortage.
    sarevok57Wise_Grimwald
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    It might be unpopular:
    You feel more special with a 18/00 on a 75 total roll than with a 18/30 on a 91 total roll.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    semiticgod wrote: »
    Finally, (SoD spoiler)
    it would explain why Skie couldn't be raised at the end of SoD: rather than a mysterious dagger arbitrarily trapping her soul, it was Charname's own innate Bhaalspawn heritage that made it irreversible, and therefore enough to condemn Charname's character.
    Er, it was Irenicus
    killing Skie with the dagger
    , not the PC. Irenicus made the PC believe they did it (at least in case the player attacked the "monster", which one does not need to do to trigger the afterevents.)

semiticgoddessmegamike15ThacoBellMirandel
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited August 2020
    ThacoBell wrote: »

This reminds of that time uncle Grumpy had a pot of bad turnip stew. We should have known something was wrong as soon we saw him smile. He never did smile once in all 286 years of his life prior, that's why we called him "Grumpy." Not that his real name wasn't "Grumpy" mind, we just called him Grumpy Uncle Grumpy. He hated it, but then again, he hated everything. Anyway, long story short, always remember to check your stew before eating it. Bad turnips are as bad as good turnips are good.

Okay @ThacoBell , that was awesome. I can't believe I overlooked that response. Still, I stick to my opinion of Jan Jansen. Nothing against gnomes in general, I quite like Glint Gardnersonson, but Jan was plain annoying even the first and only time (I only played a neutral character once because my ex said I'd miss something if I've never used Jan, Viconia, chaotic neutral Anomen, Edwin and Sarevok. Can't say that I agree).

Another possibly unpopular opinion: The thief ability "use any item" shouldn't exist.
    Jan Jansen wielding Carsomir?!
    ThacoBellPermidion_StarkAerakar
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Another possibly unpopular opinion: The thief ability "use any item" shouldn't exist.

Actually Jan can't wield Carsomyr because he isn't strong enough. Use Any Item really should be renamed Use Any Item (so long as you can pick it up).
    AerakarsemiticgoddessBalrog99
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

Actually Jan can't wield Carsomyr because he isn't strong enough. Use Any Item really should be renamed Use Any Item (so long as you can pick it up).

All your stats have to be high enough (not just strength) and you can't generally use items specially made for an NPC - so the EE has already somewhat nerfed the ability compared to vanilla ...
    StummvonBordwehrAerakarWise_Grimwald
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    Minsc, Edwin and Jan Jansen never stop being funny.
    Permidion_Stark
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited August 2020

Wouldn't spells/potions enable him to pick it up? Strength of one for example?
    Grond0Permidion_StarkArvia

Wouldn't spells/potions enable him to pick it up? Strength of one for example?

I hadn't thought of that. I now want to do a BG2 run just so I can have Jan the Holy Avenger in my party.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    borntodie wrote: »

I'm going to have to disagree with you on Jan. A lot of people actually find him annoying. Have to agree with Minsc and Edwin, they are great fun. Haer'Dalis is an entertaining character too.
    Wise_Grimwald
    Blackbɨrd wrote: »

I'm going to have to disagree with you on Jan. A lot of people actually find him annoying.
    I can't reply. I'm allergic!
    Well, all right. I'm not THAT allergic.

Glad to hear my opinion is unpopular. Lots of people hate Minsc and Edwin too, I hope.
    Wise_GrimwaldDJKajuru
    Honestly, its worth taking Jan in ToB at least once just to see him call Sarevok "Binky" to his face. Heck, him and Minsc have some hilarious tag teams against the poor guy. His epilogue is also amazing.
    Aerakar
    Neera, Dorn and Rasaad slot seamlessly into the game.

When I wrote this I was actually being sarcastic (following what I took to be a lead from @borntodie). But now people are agreeing with me and I don't know if they are being sarcastic too. Serves me right. Hoist on my own petard.
    borntodieThacoBellsarevok57Balrog99
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848

When I wrote this I was actually being sarcastic (following what I took to be a lead from @borntodie). But now people are agreeing with me and I don't know if they are being sarcastic too. Serves me right. Hoist on my own petard.

:D
    ThacoBell
    edited August 2020

I would say that in terms of design and writing, they absolutely do. I've seen a lot of new players asking which npcs were added by the EEs, which is a good endorsement of them. But once you learn how npcs "quests" work in EE, they start to stand out. The large quests with new areas is makes them stand out. Except Dorn.

*EDIT* In BG1 at least. Dorn gets the shiny new area in 2.
    Aerakar
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293

I'm going to have to disagree with you on Jan. A lot of people actually find him annoying.
    I can't reply. I'm allergic!
    Well, all right. I'm not THAT allergic.

Glad to hear my opinion is unpopular. Lots of people hate Minsc and Edwin too, I hope.

Your opinion isn't even unpopular or close to being unpopular. Minsc is literally the poster boy of Baldur's Gate, everyone loves him. He's the face of Baldur's Gate (love Minsc). Edwin, sure people hate him but he's also one of the most liked party members and he's also the best mage in the game.
    Your opinion isn't even unpopular or close to being unpopular.

:( I thought I was cool.
    Permidion_StarkWise_GrimwaldsemiticgoddessHalfOrcBeastmaster
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @borntodie: You are cool!
    StummvonBordwehrBalrog99
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366

Especially Neera. She really fits seamlessly into the whole European Middle-Ages D&D trope...
    Permidion_StarkKamigoroshi