Skip to content

Ask Beamdog

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I have a question @JuliusBorisov , how badly is 2.6 expected to break mods? I remember several mods having serious issues with 2.5.
    StummvonBordwehrGusinda
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited July 2020
    General users can't see that information.

I already know that general users can't see that information, sir, so how are we supposed to get that information? Through a PM? An announcement? Patch notes? I don't mean to bug you guys (no pun intended) about this, and I realize you're working on finally releasing patch 2.6, but I'm at my wit's end with this thing. I simply cannot take having these constant, cumulative negative modifiers in my single-player game anymore. I swear to God, if this bug were alive, I would have killed it a long time ago. That's why I reactivated my subscription to World of Warcraft. I'd rather pay a subscription to play a game I know will work as intended, than play a game I've already bought twice over with an annoying bug virtually old enough to start its Freshman year of High School. Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.

Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
    Pokota
  • CartoonCorpseCartoonCorpse Member Posts: 1
    Are there any plans to bring the two recent pc dlc modules to consoles? I have them on pc, but am hoping I can eventually play them on console as well. Thanks.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    Are there any plans to bring the two recent pc dlc modules to consoles? I have them on pc, but am hoping I can eventually play them on console as well. Thanks.

More of the same: are there plans for bringing new (old) modules or giving access to more PW for the console players?

And specifically are there plans for bringing “pretty good character creator” to Switch? It’s available for Android it seems: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/77007/easiest-character-editor

If you have plans for a “Leto” kind of module for Switch I wouldn’t mind - just so you know...
  • DonCzirrDonCzirr Member Posts: 165
    Are Beamdog team members fans of ShadowRun ?

Now that HBS is busy playing with big robots, that excellent franchise is laying dormant on digital.

Just sayin ;)
    SorrowSeercha0z_
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Not sure this is the right place to ask: I noticed that I do not get a notification when someone quotes what I wrote. Is this normal behavior or is there anything I can do to get notifications in this case if someone replies to what I wrote without tagging me explicitely, too? This is not what "Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in." in the Notification Settings is referring to, is it?
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    I know that Beamdog wanna works more on their own IP instead of making more enhanced editions. However, since new modules are released to NWN1, i wanna ask. Do you considered the idea of "porting" old 2e games like Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace, Dark Sun : Shattered Lands and Ravenloft Curse of Strahd into "BG:EE engine" or make a NWN1 module based on it??
    StummvonBordwehrAerakar
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Member Posts: 176
    jastey wrote: »
    Not sure this is the right place to ask: I noticed that I do not get a notification when someone quotes what I wrote. Is this normal behavior or is there anything I can do to get notifications in this case if someone replies to what I wrote without tagging me explicitely, too? This is not what "Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in." in the Notification Settings is referring to, is it?

@jastey The BeamDog forums are based on the Vanilla forums platform. You should be able to adjust your notification preferences by going to Account Options -> Edit Profile -> Notification Preferences

ubm9rfm41bc7.jpg
    StummvonBordwehr
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    @Caedwyr thanks! I know about these possibility to change the settings, and it seems "if my posts get quoted" is not on the notification list. Here was hope I just missed it somehow.

So I'll rephrase my question: would it be possible to add this notification possibility? :)
  • SorrowSeerSorrowSeer Member Posts: 144
    DonCzirr wrote: »

Now that HBS is busy playing with big robots, that excellent franchise is laying dormant on digital.

Just sayin ;)

Also

There are none Shadowrun Returns titles in Google Play and Apple appstore anymore.

Shadowrun Chronicles servers were closed.

There were none Shadowrun titles in snes/genesis mini games collection.

SAVE SHADOWRUN !!!
    (Icewind Dale 2 and NWN2 too)
  • cha0z_cha0z_ Member Posts: 27
    DonCzirr wrote: »

Just sayin ;)
    Would love to see shadowrun dragonfall again on mobile tbh... insta buy from me!
  • FilipseFilipse Member Posts: 36
    edited August 2020
    Has any progress been made on the HD-Weapon Models, of which some were previewed and can currently be acessed in Demo-Form on the Stream-Workshop; Or did the renderer taken up the NWN team's full time for the duration that was in development?

I miss these small-demos, as atleast that meant there was something that showcased promise of progress along with time.
  • Night76Night76 Member Posts: 43
    Hi Beamdog,

great engine update to NWN:EE.
    I would like to ask something ...
    You do a great job to remove the hardcode spellbook system, i look at the great job of the community modder WodahsEht at https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/patch/prestige-spellbook-pack-enhanced-edition to add spellbook to Harper, Assassin and Blackguard. So why you not include this change officialy in the game to resemble the official D&D prestige class?
    Other question ...
    I played the last Premium content and i love the story but i missed adding something new like a tileset to feature the city or a new creature. Beamdog, are you planning to create something similar in the future or are there no plans for new content for NWN: EE?
    aarionnStummvonBordwehrAerakar
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited August 2020
    [initiating cheekiness mode]

@JuliusBorisov With the flurry of updates that we have experienced in the last 2 weeks, could it by chance be related to summer holidays? i.e. "You are not going on holiday until you pass this goal"

[Terminating cheekiness]

Seriously though I do have a question about NwN. I am currently sitting on some stuff that relies on 2 of the texture maps that we were told were coming before the new renderer was cancelled. Are we likely (note I am not asking for certainty nor any dates here) to get glow and/or height maps any time in the future. Of those 2, the glow maps are the more important.

Thank you and have a nice holiday whenever it is due.

TR
    Baptor wrote: »
    Please make a full-length infinity engine, BG-style game.

You added new content to BG/BG2.
    You made your own expansion.
    One more step, make a full length game!

I love the BG engine. I really want a new game with it. I'm not all that interested in BG3 from Larian. No offense to them, they make great stuff - but I want an old school IE game! Set it anywhere! Icewind Dale 3! Tethyr! Aglarond! Chessenta! Anyways. Please?

I feel bad for Beamdog. They've repeatedly said that developing for the IE sucks, and they want to move on to new things. And people keep begging for games specifically in the IE. People do realize the same kind of game can be done in Unreal or Unity, right? What exactly do people think the IE does that the others can't? Insane, limitless bugs?
    kanisathamlnevese
  • Night76Night76 Member Posts: 43
    edited August 2020
    ThacoBell wrote: »

I love the BG engine. I really want a new game with it. I'm not all that interested in BG3 from Larian. No offense to them, they make great stuff - but I want an old school IE game! Set it anywhere! Icewind Dale 3! Tethyr! Aglarond! Chessenta! Anyways. Please?

I feel bad for Beamdog. They've repeatedly said that developing for the IE sucks, and they want to move on to new things. And people keep begging for games specifically in the IE. People do realize the same kind of game can be done in Unreal or Unity, right? What exactly do people think the IE does that the others can't? Insane, limitless bugs?

People want a good story, or good/long side quest in IE because think that the game is all ready and must only create Area, Items and Dialog and don't care about ultra new graphics and other modern things.

I love to see new IE things too, but i know that the IE engine is monolitic like old C/C++ game of the past (low resource/high optimization/low reusability) so create things with that is very time cosuming process.

I hoped more support and content from NWN:EE ...
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858

It's too bad there are too many legal/licensing obstacles to just releasing the engine's source code (like what id software did for Doom so many years ago)...
    Adul
    Pokota wrote: »

It's too bad there are too many legal/licensing obstacles to just releasing the engine's source code (like what id software did for Doom so many years ago)...

Yeah, then all the fans can see the nightmare that is IE first hand :D
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002

More importantly, we could fix the bugs in the EEs, including all the 2.0 regressions that are still left unaddressed as of 2.6.
    Ravenslight
    Adul wrote: »

More importantly, we could fix the bugs in the EEs, including all the 2.0 regressions that are still left unaddressed as of 2.6.

Haha. "Fix the bugs" in IE. That's a good one.
  • DonCzirrDonCzirr Member Posts: 165
    Started playing Arcanum seriously for the first time. What a great classic game - that needs a whole ton of quality of life improvements from the original.

After you do your "original" game project - would you consider giving it an EE overhaul?

Needed badly:

- console commands for adjustments
    - combat log
    - dialogue log
    - free map scrolling to initiate movement - rather than way-point system

Others may want better native resolution support but there are unofficial patches that already cover that.

I prefer to keep it low-res since I play on my iPAD via Steam-link.

That is unless a scalable UI / font size could be implemented like was done in NWN.

Also - port to IOS and Android would be quite desirable.

• Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited June 2021
    Adul wrote: »

I feel your pain, brother. It would seem we both share common issues with the games we love to play, yet can't enjoy playing them because the bugs keep ruining our fun. The regressions in your precious IE titles and the attack bonus miscalculation issue in my beloved NWN.

What really pisses me off about this bug is when BioWare released Patch 1.68 for NWN Classic, a patch that was supposed to fix issues in the game, it actually broke something that worked. The release of Patch 1.69 only exacerbated things when they made "Fixes to Whirlwind/Improved Whirlwind/Great Cleave so that all the attacks are done at the player's full BAB." This coupled with the additional, cumulative -5 penalty to free attacks generated by Attacks of Opportunity, Circle Kick, Cleave, Flurry of Blows, and Haste on top of the -2 penalty from FoB, resets the character's base attack bonus to its highest positive modifier before suddenly dropping it into negative digits for the character's remaining attacks per round. It doesn't just affect a character's free attacks, it affects all of them during every round of combat. This is how NWN's combat UI has behaved for the last 14 goddamn years!

@Beamdog Why does my melee combat-optimized character have to go from being a capable warrior to a helpless defender during every foxtrotting combat round? What exactly is "viable" to you?

If it were up to me, I would have had the combat UI's behavior reverted to 1.67 status long before this point in time. Unfortunately, it isn't up to me. Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.

Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
    Timbo0o0o0Adul
  • tedmann12tedmann12 Member Posts: 128
    Agree I would lovvvve another IE game from beamdog.

tedmann12 wrote: »

Why? What does IE offer that Unity or Unreal don't?
    Aedankanisatha
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    tedmann12 wrote: »

Why? What does IE offer that Unity or Unreal don't?

For one thing, moddability. With the current state of the IE, the community can do or change almost anything, and any user can relatively quickly learn the basics of how to change things up. This goes whether you want to alter the hair colour of an NPC, or feel confident that even if you install 200 mods you can solve the conflicts and incompatibilities that eventually pop up, and make your game work. Few or no other game engines are as laid bare.
    MERLANCE
    @Shin You're kidding right? With how many things are STILL hardcoded? Unity and Unreal can be fully moddable with dev support. There's nothing to the IE that many other engines don't offer, and better.
    kanisatha
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    edited August 2020
    When veteran IE gamers say "infinity engine", they actually mean isometric presentation and scripted content that is separated from interpreter (well, somewhat) for adding content relatively easily. they likely often think ad&d 2nd edition ruleset and forgotten realms context (yes, i know PS:T and IWD2), and handpainted/prerendered artwork, because that's what they consider to be key features of those games.

That concept *could* be done and was done in other engines, it's not essential to keep sticking to that old technical behemoth from 25 years ago.
    But when doing it in some other engine from scratch, chances are that there will be other rulesets and context due to licensing, and visual and conceptional changes as when something new is created anyway, the game designers can form it just the way they want it to be.
    To prevent to get a new game that then does not "feel right" to veterans, it's better to insist on "done in infinity engine", as this guarantees that not much actually *can* be changed – resulting in a game "similar to what we like".

So would i want another IE game? no (actually yes, i wouldn't mind if it was, but still no).
    Would i want a game that is just exactly like BG2, without changing the ruleset, concept, content style and representation at all, but in a modern engine? OH YES!
    (And then there's SOD that lacks for me in the long run ... it's IE, it's like the others in so many aspects, but the writing of dialogs, character design etc. is so not BG2, it doesn't feel like BG2 *despite* the same engine. So even insisting on an "infinity engine game" doesn't guarantee the old at-home feeling.)
    Post edited by BelegCuthalion on
    MiraStastnyTimbo0o0o0jasteyRavenslight