Skip to content

Today was the first time I ...

Comments

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    ... I was waylaid by a mustard jelly and had to defend myself.

That is one slow moving ambush!

It must be the easiest ambush to avoid but also the one that gives you the most XP.
    JuliusBorisovAerakarArvialolien
  • AerieAerie Member Posts: 226
    Put Wilson in a chokehold.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    @sarevok57 , my hat is off to you for taking out the swords in Halueth Never's tomb!

I did another NWN playthrough last month and managed to almost kill one of them until all my healing supplies were at zero, I beamed out with the stone and came back invisibly to sneak in and fetch the item. I've been wondering if anyone ever managed to kill them. Well done!
    JuliusBorisov
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Arvia wrote: »
    @sarevok57 , my hat is off to you for taking out the swords in Halueth Never's tomb!

I did another NWN playthrough last month and managed to almost kill one of them until all my healing supplies were at zero, I beamed out with the stone and came back invisibly to sneak in and fetch the item. I've been wondering if anyone ever managed to kill them. Well done!

yeah, i didn't even need to use the stone of recall to win either :)
    StummvonBordwehrArvia
    jmerry wrote: »
    Drizzt killed by a lightning strike. I just had to laugh.

Did you still get the XP for killing Drizzt?

I got XP for killing two Half-Ogres who were frazzled by bolts from the blue even though I wasn't attacking them at the time.
    3ri8mnqtiffp.png

Skatan
    edited August 2020
    Drizzt killed by a lightning strike. I just had to laugh.

Did you still get the XP for killing Drizzt?

I got XP for killing two Half-Ogres who were frazzled by bolts from the blue even though I wasn't attacking them at the time.
    3ri8mnqtiffp.png

im pretty sure you don't get the XP for environmental lightning killing NPCs or monsters, i have had many a battle with drizzt where he got struck by lightning and it finished him off that i turned off weather effects because i was tired of the lightning stealing my XP hahaha
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    Arvia wrote: »

yeah, i didn't even need to use the stone of recall to win either :)

and speaking about those swords in the Halueth tomb, im playing a run right now with a paladin/monk and i was level 7 ( paladin 5/ monk 2 ) and took out those swords with no buffs or spells and i used i think 2 potions of cure serious wounds and won the fight, completely blew me away, that astral longsword +1 is quite an effective weapon i must say, and also having 30 AC helps to i suppose...
    Permidion_StarkJuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr
    edited August 2020
    sarevok57 wrote: »

im pretty sure you don't get the XP for environmental lightning killing NPCs or monsters, i have had many a battle with drizzt where he got struck by lightning and it finished him off that i turned off weather effects because i was tired of the lightning stealing my XP hahaha

If it has been taken away it is possibly because you made a bug report about it back in 2016 (I stumbled across it while I was trying to find a thread about lightning strikes): https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/47195/enviromental-lightning-counts-as-an-attack

Mind you, the game my screenshot is taken from was in 2019 so if it has been fixed it has been done quite recently.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    I always just use the free staff for killing the rats. Wooden weapons don't break. Also, the only way you're missing those things in melee is with a critical failure. Even if you're a non-proficient mage with strength 6.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    I always just use the free staff for killing the rats. Wooden weapons don't break. Also, the only way you're missing those things in melee is with a critical failure. Even if you're a non-proficient mage with strength 6.

actually the rats have 20 AC, so a non proficient mage with 6 STR will miss with 5s or lower ;)
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    The rats have no weapon equipped, so you get a +4 bonus to melee attack against them. Also damage, not that it matters with their 1 HP.
    JuliusBorisov
    The rats have no weapon equipped, so you get a +4 bonus to melee attack against them. Also damage, not that it matters with their 1 HP.

ah yes, i forgot the updated engine did that

so then you would have to be a mage with no proficiency dual wielding daggers with 6 STR, talk about yikes on the thac0 score
    edited September 2020

You're right, of course. My point was the freak coincidence of having both my weapons break in the first two encounters of the game. I like to roleplay, and there's no reason to carry 5 weapons out of Candlekeep, unless you know they might break. And a paladin who can buy a shiny sword wouldn't use that staff :wink: (unless strictly necessary)
    edited September 2020
    Today was the first time I noticed that Jaheira mocks Khalid for his stutter:
    qyr3gdojchg2.png

They are voiced lines so they must have been in the original game but somehow I missed them. As a side note, I sometimes forget how fine the voice acting was in the original game. Heidi Shannon as Jaheira and Jim Meskimen as Khalid really are exceptionally good.

jasteyAerakarArvialolien
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I don't think thats outright mockery. Seems more like good natured ribbing between two close people.
    Arvialolien
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    I don't think thats outright mockery. Seems more like good natured ribbing between two close people.

The way the actors deliver the lines I would say that Jaheira is being irritable and Khalid finds her remark hurtful. But when he tries to pick her up on it she challenges him and he climbs down. It is definitely an exchange between two close people but I wouldn't call it good natured.
    AerakarArviaZaxareslolien

If they were alone, yes. In front of other people, it's not something I'd want a spouse to say.
    Aerakar
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325

The way the actors deliver the lines I would say that Jaheira is being irritable and Khalid finds her remark hurtful. But when he tries to pick her up on it she challenges him and he climbs down. It is definitely an exchange between two close people but I wouldn't call it good natured.

I pretty much concur. I think that deep down Khalid finds the teasing hurtful, even though Jaheira genuinely does not mean any harm by her remarks, and Khalid knows this, which is why he lets it slide. That doesn't stop him being bothered by the comments though.
    Permidion_StarkArviaAerakar
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    In fairness, Jaheira's a jerk throughout the entire series.
    ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Maurvir wrote: »
    In fairness, Jaheira's a jerk throughout the entire series.

I prefer to refer to as "sassy" ;)
    Rik_Kirtaniya