"Shadow...Heart?"
    "yes"
    "Is that your birth name or a nickname?"
    "What do you mean?"
    "Well, is that the name your parents gave you?"
    "Look, can we just move on?"

We ended up watching the movie, so I finally get the references, pal. :D

Nice! I hope you enjoyed it.

We watched the two of them in a weekend, so I´ll go for a yes.
    Still have the "super-catchy song" in my head, tho.
    ThacoBell
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Oogachakka?
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited August 2020
    Unrelated, but there seems to be merchandise about Chibi-Asterion already

https://www.redbubble.com/es/i/camiseta/Chibi-Astarion-Puerta-de-Baldur-3-de-maitrepielle/46621975.IZGJF

This is the beginning of a new fandom, I think.

And another for Shadowheart, it seems

7xfuzxdx6w27.jpg

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    scriver wrote: »
    Oogachakka?

Is that the start of the Hooked on a Feeling song?
    edited August 2020

They invited Chris Perkins too? Maybe he will have something to say about "IWD:Rime of the Frostmaiden" the same as they did with BG: DiA.
    Good to know they are still working toe-to-toe with WotC.
    Post edited by PsicoVic on
    JuliusBorisovSjerrie
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    IwD: Rime of the Frostmaiden is the game module associated with the new Dark Alliance videogame:

https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/18/21294867/dark-alliance-action-rpg-r-a-salvatore-dungeons-and-dragons
    PsicoVicSjerrieÆmrysJuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    They had me at lobotomies
    kanisatha wrote: »
    IwD: Rime of the Frostmaiden is the game module associated with the new Dark Alliance videogame:

https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/18/21294867/dark-alliance-action-rpg-r-a-salvatore-dungeons-and-dragons

With the upcoming Dark alliance videogame and with the "Summon Tarrasque" spell. :D

You´re gonna love it, @SorcererV1ct0r

PD: I assume it´s a plot device of sorts instead of a real spell. If not, I will increase the summoning range from 1 mile to 1 hundred, for good measure.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited August 2020
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    (...)
    You´re gonna love it,

PD: I assume it´s a plot device of sorts instead of a real spell. If not, I will increase the summoning range from 1 mile to 1 hundred, for good measure.

I think that summon terrasque should't work. I mean, Terrasque is CR 30. On 3.5e, summon monster IX could at best summon monsters AROUND CR 11(Hezoru), on Pathfinder Kingmaker, you can summon a Thanadaemon(CR13) with summon monster IX. Mystra banned spells of certain level and IMO to summon terrasques, your wizard is approaching Karsus level of power... Hell, the epic magic like Dragon Knight summons only a adult dragon and require 7 day to cast ( https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Dragon_Knight )

And I don't like the Terrasque on 5e, they are mostly just a hp sponge... As for really powerful spells, I love but believe that they should have powerful drawbacks too. Similar to necromancy on domains of dread which are very powerful but even the caster is at risk. According to the book - Domains of Dread - Page 290, some spells works differently on ravenloft and are far more dangerous to the caster.

QBDsvdn.png

6087EiA.png

VO2ucVC.png

This spells also require power check which can gradually corrupts the caster until he becomes one with the domain AKA a Dark Lord. 5e destroyed all sense of dread by streamlining magic, the low lethality combat and by making Strahd a 9th level caster instead of a 16th level necromancer with contigency spells and other nasty abilities.
    Post edited by SorcererV1ct0r on
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    Offtopic, but... @SorcererV1ct0r my source (5th ed MM) says the Tarrasque is CR 30.
    edited August 2020
    IIRC Tarrasque is a CR 20 in 3e and a CR30 in 5e.
    https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/tarrasque

And yeah, it´s basically a legendary damage sponge as an enemy ( I prefer Ancient Dragons, Liches, Demon Lords, lords of Night,etc as insanely difficult enemies), but the point of the spell it´s that you can summon it. Against someone and his grandma. A mile away.
    It´s like "Hey, DM, today we want to have some laughs and going bananas in the tavern for the rest of the day, Do you have something that we could use to destroy the sajuagin fortress while we have some R&R?"

Wish granted!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Confirmed: Larian needs to hand out lobotomies to get people excited for DOS3 :P
    Sjerriekanisatha
    edited August 2020
    Sjerrie wrote: »
    Tarrasque is CR 30.

Was a typo. My point is that he is far above what the greatest magic which mortals can cast can summon. My point is that before Mystra banned spells like Tolodine's killing wind, MAYBE a mage like Karsus could summon a Terrasque but now, is just impossible to summon creatures far weaker than a Terrasque...

PS : Would Tolodine's killing wind work with Shar's shadow weave?
    SjerriePsicoVic
    edited August 2020
    Dunno, if you can fight (and beat) 3 intellect devourers with two level-one characters maybe Tarrasques in a videogame are just big angry crocodiles... :D
    (unlikely)
    ... And I said crocodiles because that fits the character of the beast

20200705_104031.jpg

Only four days to go until the next announcement!

Sjerrie
    Would Tolodine's killing wind work with Shar's shadow weave?

Likely not. The Shadow Weave is based off of Mystra's Weave, being said to lie "in between its strands". When the Weave died with Karsus' Folly so did the Shadow Weave, so the new version of the Shadow Weave is based off of the new Weave, which likely means it has similar limitations.
    You know, if they didn't keep having to replace the position they might actually get a ceo of magic in place that had enough experience to not let Shar keep doing that
    SjerrieThacoBell
    scriver wrote: »
    You know, if they didn't keep having to replace the position they might actually get a ceo of magic in place that had enough experience to not let Shar keep doing that

To be fair it's not that CEO's fault that

- Chairman o/t Board Karsus tried a hostile takeover and she was forced into Ch.11
    - Officer Helm pushed her down the stairs in a clear case of police brutality after she was being blackmailed to search for a couple tablets.
    - she only narrowly survived an assassination attempt orchestrated by a daughter company's CEO and fell into a coma.
    scriverThacoBell
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Morale of the story: Mystra has a fetish for biting the dust. Having such a suicidal goddess in a key position amongst the pantheon is about as secure for the planet as a fushion reactor with a leak in its cooling system. 6e will also start off with her lying six feet under, just you wait. :|

Shar would do way better if she's basing her Shadow Weave off of the various magic systems from Maztica instead. No Weave or Mystra required for casting arcane spells.
    scriverPsicoVicmlnevese
    edited August 2020
    Morale of the story: Mystra has a fetish for biting the dust. Having such a suicidal goddess in a key position amongst the pantheon is about as secure for the planet as a fushion reactor with a leak in its cooling system. 6e will also start off with her lying six feet under, just you wait. :|
    Hey, when she finally woke up it was a rude awakening. Mystra ordered her chosen to move their asses and they started their destroying rampage, basically overwhelming anything with the Shar banner on it: they killed the Thanthul brothers and the rest of the princes of Shade, woke up the elven Baelorns, released the mad god Cyric from the Supreme Throne, destroyed the Order of the blue fire, ending the spellplague, restored the Dweomerheart plane, wiped out almost all the Shadovar and then crashed down the entire Sharran Netherese enclave atop Myth Drannor...

The real morale is: You simply do not interrupt the beauty rest of the goddess of magic. :D

SjerriemlneveseThacoBellZaxares
    Sjerrie wrote: »
    Would Tolodine's killing wind work with Shar's shadow weave?

Likely not. The Shadow Weave is based off of Mystra's Weave, being said to lie "in between its strands". When the Weave died with Karsus' Folly so did the Shadow Weave, so the new version of the Shadow Weave is based off of the new Weave, which likely means it has similar limitations.

Din't the King of Shadows fused with shadowweave after the fall of mystra's weave?

Shar would do way better if she's basing her Shadow Weave off of the various magic systems from Maztica instead. No Weave or Mystra required for casting arcane spells.

In reality, they need to kill the Goddess of magic to re write the magical system in a way that lore and mechanics are connected.
    edited August 2020
    In reality, they need to kill the Goddess of magic to re write the magical system in a way that lore and mechanics are connected.
    Killing her off would just cause some foolish Chosen to go out for a quest to resurrect her. Again. No! What needs to be done is for someone, or something, to devour Mystra, assimilate her Divine Spark and usurping her sphere of influence of the Weave. Or utterly destroy it and create something entirely new in its place. Bonus points if the new entity of magic also pulls the plug out of Elminster and end his damnable cameo crew for good: no divine juice, no more immortality cheat for them. Win-Win. Oh, and Azuth should be fed to some Duke of Hell for good measures. Again. Wouldn't want her lover boy to pull something out of his behind, right? Bringing that suicidal nutcase back would just endager the planet. Again...

What we need is a deity of magic that doesn't keel over by the slightest of breezes. Shar, Savras, Oghma and Toth would all make better candidates for the job than any iteration of Mystra ever was. Having the Mulhorandi deity with that position would be especially preferable to me. Since then maybe WotC would actually use the Old Empires for adventures for a change. Which then game developers could utilize to FINALLY make a intruiging Forgotten Realms game. Just imagine a Faerun RPG that doesn't play in or around the Sword Coast for once! Such a nice dream that would be... *sigh*
    ThacoBellSjerriemlnevese
    edited August 2020
    Just imagine a Faerun RPG that doesn't play in or around the Sword Coast for once! Such a nice dream that would be... *sigh*

Looks like you can enter in underdark on BG2. But what I really miss is a RPG set in a different worlds. Abyss, Nine Hells, Dark Sun, Shadowfell(...) So many interesting places and few video game adaptations explore that. Even in Faerun, let us explore Thay. Let us explore Icewind dale. Not only sword coast.

Earlier 90s gave to us 3 Dark Sun games(Shattered Lands, Wake of the Ravager and Online : Crimson sands), a spelljammer game(Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace , two games on realms of dread, one set in Barovia(Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession) and another in Har'Akir desert(Ravenloft: Stone prophet) and now, we see only sword coast....

I wish that Far Realm will make a huge presence on BG3 story. I don't wanna a "kobold/bandit slaying" low level 5e campaign. Just my preference.
    Kamigoroshi
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    What we need is a deity of magic that doesn't keel over by the slightest of breezes. Shar, Savras, Oghma and Toth would all make better candidates for the job than any iteration of Mystra ever was.

Do you have a moment to listen to the gospel of the TRUE Lord of Magic, Boccob? ;)
    Zaxares wrote: »
    Do you have a moment to listen to the gospel of the TRUE Lord of Magic, Boccob? ;)
    Wrong setting. But at least Boccob doesn't drop dead if so much as a bird's dropping lands on his head. That is already more than we can expect from Mystra. :p

Nethys from Pathfinder is with his divine duality of protection and destruction probably the most interesting deity of magic to me. Gotta love that charming Mr. Two-Face after all.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Zaxares wrote: »
    What we need is a deity of magic that doesn't keel over by the slightest of breezes. Shar, Savras, Oghma and Toth would all make better candidates for the job than any iteration of Mystra ever was.

I thought it was Banjo the Clown.
    PsicoVic