Skip to content

Ask Beamdog

Comments

• Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited June 2022
    To clarify: what I meant is that your report has been studied lately. You brought that issue up, I made the devs aware about your request to look into it again. Even while Andrew G is no longer at Beamdog, others remember your issue.

As for why there hasn't been any solution which would please you,-- it's because bug reports and feature requests go through a triage system. To fix or change something, the developers first need to understand whether there is an issue and if the behaviour is working by design or not. This is not related to any particular issue-- this approach works for any potential bug or feature.

We don't "sweep aside" tickets. We have to prioritize some issues. This is normal for any development / post-release support.

Gregory Holmes
    17/Jun/20 3:24 PM
    Hello Raymond,

I have an internal ticket with some AB calculation problems pending in our development repo, but, there’s a lot of heavy development going on with render updates, netcode, assets, and features, so issues like these can get swept aside for a bit.

Since the Redmine is down, can you do me a favor and go through your emails, if you have them, and find your original report and post it here?

Best,
    Greg

@JuliusBorisov What do you call that, sir? To clarify: Getting this bug fixed would not be a solution to please me, but a relief to myself and the many other players who have ever been curious as to why their character's base attack bonus took a sudden deep dive into The Abyss. You want to know what would please me? Physically ripping this 14-year-old bug out of my single-player game and beating it to death. That would be a pleasure. See the difference? Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.
    Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
    GlaciaruzanastielNight76
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    Will NWNEE's original campaigns and premium modules ever be brought up to date to the modern patch level? The vast majority of NWNEE's official content hasn't been updated. It's be really nice if NWNEE's official content received the same attention that the other EE games here have seen.
    Match451Prince_RaymondStummvonBordwehr
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited September 2020
    Anything to report on the Beamdog Client not working on Linux? We've got a workaround for the time being, but being able to run the client without doing the workaround would be preferable.
    Prince_Raymondanastiel
  • YffischYffisch Member Posts: 2
    I've been playing BG series for 22 years and want to keep doing that. I always find something new every time I play, but currently I feel that I have completed 99% of all the quests and found 99% of all the items. I want to keep playing the series for another 22 years++ so I (and probably everyone else) need more content. Just some small stuff every year, like some new items/, some new quest(s), maybe some new area to explore or some new sub class. I'm happy for every single small piece of update to the game every year since it will make me play the games over and over and over again to see what's new.
    That's what Eric Barone is doing with Stardew Valley at the moment. For every new patch, there are new content and some new stuff to explore. Which makes all the players to have to replay the game over and over and over again every single update.
    For me it does not matter if every update you do will cost $5-10 as a DLC. I'll gladly pay that every update you do.
    Please, keep updating the BG games.
    Aerakar
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Yffisch Beamdog is not allowed to make new content anymore. WotC forbids it.
    Rik_KirtaniyaNight76DerpCityAerakar
  • Night76Night76 Member Posts: 43
    ThacoBell wrote: »

This is the problem to create new content to NWN:EE too ?
  • YffischYffisch Member Posts: 2

Oh, that's a shame! Any reason for that? To not be able to change the story anymore? Maybe they can squeeze in content within a fan-made mod, but kind of a semi official?
  • superfly86superfly86 Member Posts: 31
    Hi, what about next beamdog projects ? Nothing new to hear from them. What about IWD 2 source code, still nothing about it and there is no chance for enhanced edition ? Will you make NWN 2 enhanced edition too or not ?
    @superfly86 I will answer all your questions correctly in the order they were asked.

1. Beamdog is currently working on an untitled project of their own IP.
    2. It has been said time and again they have given up looking for the source code for IWD2. It is a bust.
    3. Wrong developer. NWN2 was developed by Obsidian Entertainment, not Beamdog. It's not a question of "Will they do it?", but "Could they do it?". Obviously not, because Beamdog doesn't own the rights to that game. You would have better luck asking Obsidian Entertainment.

Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.
    ThacoBellAerakar
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    1. According to what I read on Twitter the untitled project has a code name of The Awesome. Make of that what you will.

TR
    Prince_Raymond
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @superfly86 I will answer all your questions correctly in the order they were asked.

2. It has been said time and again they have given up looking for the source code for IWD2. It is a bust.
    3. Wrong developer. NWN2 was developed by Obsidian Entertainment, not Beamdog. It's not a question of "Will they do it?", but "Could they do it?". Obviously not, because Beamdog doesn't own the rights to that game. You would have better luck asking Obsidian Entertainment.

Just a reminder that Obsidian now belongs to Microsoft, so it's a Microsoft Game Studios game now.
    ThacoBellPrince_Raymond
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    You will shortly be able to add both Bethesda studios, Arcane, I.D. and 5 others to the list as MS are in the process of buying out Zenimax. Oh and don't forget they already own GitHub too.

TR
    Prince_Raymond
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    You will shortly be able to add both Bethesda studios, Arcane, I.D. and 5 others to the list as MS are in the process of buying out Zenimax. Oh and don't forget they already own GitHub too.

TR

"Github - The Spawn of Bhaal" sounds "The Awesome" ;)
    Prince_Raymond
  • superfly86superfly86 Member Posts: 31

Thanks for the answer, i thought that beamdog has rights to both parts of NWN. It's hard to tell what's the actual situation because rights constantly changes like baldurs gate 3, i thought that only beamdog is allowed to make game in that IP but i was in shock when i read that BG3 will be made by another studio. The Question is - will you make new games based on infinity engine or you will create a new one ? Maybe it will be possible to remake icewind dale or icewind dale 3 on new engine ?
    Maybe it's possible to take rights to another classic rpg like temple of elemental evil, lionheart or arcanum and make them enhanced/remake. I wonder if beamdog will create something new in the IP's which it owns like planescape or icewind or just enhanced versions were last what they did with infinity
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Is there any place where we can check the changes / fixes brought by the ongoing 2.6 beta ?
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    1. According to what I read on Twitter the untitled project has a code name of The Awesome. Make of that what you will.
    I think this is just Trent Oster's characterization of the game and not an official project code name. :smiley:
    On (3), I think that Obsidian now being a part of MS makes something like a NwN2EE, or even a future NwN3 game more likely, because of MS's deep pockets.
    Prince_Raymond
    Yffisch wrote: »

Oh, that's a shame! Any reason for that? To not be able to change the story anymore? Maybe they can squeeze in content within a fan-made mod, but kind of a semi official?

Specifically for The BG and IWD EEs. No new content. No new story, charcters, art, voicepacks, anything. We get bugfixes now and that's it.

We don't have an official statement from WotC, but the timing of it was around BG3's initial development and post SoD's release. So my understanding is that WotC were freaked out by SoD's review bombing and pulled Beamdog's license, as well as passing on them for BG3. SoD may (just a guess here) have been a test to see if Beamdog was fit for BG3.
  • ThacoBell wrote: »

Specifically for The BG and IWD EEs. No new content. No new story, charcters, art, voicepacks, anything. We get bugfixes now and that's it.

We don't have an official statement from WotC, but the timing of it was around BG3's initial development and post SoD's release. So my understanding is that WotC were freaked out by SoD's review bombing and pulled Beamdog's license, as well as passing on them for BG3. SoD may (just a guess here) have been a test to see if Beamdog was fit for BG3.

So sad, the EE editions are great and should be updated with new stuff, i don't mind paying either and I'm sure wotc can get their little cut. Such a shame when beamdogg has done such a great job of bringing these classics back to life for whole new generations. Here's to hoping that the new ip from beamdogg is more new great stuff and that they learn from any mistakes made from sod to make themselves that much better
    kaosThacoBell
    SoD was so very much a fake controversy. People were review bombing it who never played it.
    Prince_RaymondAerakaranastiel
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    SoD was so very much a fake controversy. People were review bombing it who never played it.

Nevertheless this negativity spooked WoTC and here we are :(
    Prince_RaymondThacoBell
    mlnevese wrote: »

Just a reminder that Obsidian now belongs to Microsoft, so it's a Microsoft Game Studios game now.

@mlnevese That is new information to me. Thank you for the clarification, sir.
    mlnevese

TR

This is just wishful thinking on my part. Perhaps the developers at Microsoft would be kind enough to lend a hand to the developers at Beamdog in order to fix the bugs that have been reported, documented, corroborated, and investigated for both the IE:EE series of games and NWN:EE. Since Microsoft owns GitHub, do you think they read the postings of issues for those games? Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    edited October 2020
    Aranthys wrote: »
    Is there any place where we can check the changes / fixes brought by the ongoing 2.6 beta ?

i agree and secondly;

when are we going to start beta testing this?

i started a new game last night and holy moly bug ( whoops originally had "but" ) central, neera and dorn are no where to be seen, some actions require you to press them twice to confirm ( like quick saving sometimes ) and unfortunately most annoying of all, the hot keys; 1,2,3,4,5,6 don't work, and i never knew that i relied on them so badly to play my games, now trying to play a game is down right brutal
    Post edited by sarevok57 on
    MiraStastnyAdulPrince_RaymondSorrowSeer
  • ThounhouhThounhouh Member Posts: 7
    Hope we have the french languages for the all games in the next patchs... Can"t wait
  • SorrowSeerSorrowSeer Member Posts: 144
    e6ex2fwr8cnv.jpeg

Greetings.
    Started IWD EE (in HoF) with a paladin and two bards.
    In EastHaven (cave) orcs and ogres run out of cave with characters, but can not go in
    (playing characters can, monsters - can not)
    Since in original HOW it was completely different (monsters can not go out of cave), I have questions about this situation:
    1. Is this normal/ok/supposed to be like this?
    2. In other locations through the game I'll see the same?
    3. I stole horror scroll from chest, learned and used. Spell went through - monsters with yellow circles on screenshot. But monsters didn't run (they just stand where they stood) and some other orcs (despite of fear) continue to attack playing characters. Horror spell don't work in Enhanced Edition?
    (from what I remember - monsters after horror behave them self completely different in original HOW)
    anastiel
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651

It hurts to think about, man. Beamdog did such a good job with the EE's. They deserved that torch, imo. By the time Siege rolled around their characters were solid and the combat was entertaining.
    ThacoBellAerakarPrince_Raymondcha0z_
  • cha0z_cha0z_ Member Posts: 27

It hurts to think about, man. Beamdog did such a good job with the EE's. They deserved that torch, imo. By the time Siege rolled around their characters were solid and the combat was entertaining.
    Yeah, so much this. I actually like divinity original sin 2 - great game, but BG3 is so much like it that it hurts. Even the engine/graphics are basically the same, but the whole gameplay approach is nothing like BG, it's literally copy-paste of divinity original sin 2. :/
    ThacoBell
  • StoltverdStoltverd Member Posts: 19
    I believe you need to get your nostalgia glasses off...
    BG and BG2 were real time with pause. The turns were managed by timers and nothing else.
    BG3 uses a real turn based system just like every D&D edition ever. It's also different because it uses 5E instead of 2E like BG and BG2.
    Divinity and Divinity 2 use an EXTREMELY different set of game mechanics. Just taking a look at the class system should be enough.
    You wanted a BG3 that was stuck in the 90's, or early 2000', but we got it now.
    OF COURSE it wont run on 2E, OF COURSE it will be 3D, OF COURSE it wont use the IE.
    Is it bad for it? no.
    Is it the same as Divinity because they have the same artstyle? no... That's like saying every Blizzard game is the same.
    It just happens that Divinity is turn based and an rpg just like BG3 is.
  • SorrowSeerSorrowSeer Member Posts: 144
    SorrowSeer wrote: »
    e6ex2fwr8cnv.jpeg

Greetings.
    Started IWD EE (in HoF) with a paladin and two bards.
    In EastHaven (cave) orcs and ogres run out of cave with characters, but can not go in
    (playing characters can, monsters - can not)
    Since in original HOW it was completely different (monsters can not go out of cave), I have questions about this situation:
    1. Is this normal/ok/supposed to be like this?
    2. In other locations through the game I'll see the same?
    3. I stole horror scroll from chest, learned and used. Spell went through - monsters with yellow circles on screenshot. But monsters didn't run (they just stand where they stood) and some other orcs (despite of fear) continue to attack playing characters. Horror spell don't work in Enhanced Edition?
    (from what I remember - monsters after horror behave them self completely different in original HOW)

There's a component "NPCs Cannot Pass Doors" in G3 "The Tweaks Anthology".
    So no need in replying my question.
    ps Still I don't think that "passing doors/locations" originally from BG2 really appropriate/belong in IWD.
    Vasculio