Skip to content

Baldur's Gate III released into Early Access

Comments

• SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    I can empathise with you. It's just that some people feel that their grievances have not been adequately or sincerely addressed, which is why some arguments keep on repeating to other arguments. I made the criticism thread as a pressure release valve so people who feel that way can voice their opinions without being belligerent or demeaning to others, and without being called out in return, as long as such behaviour is within the limits of the forum rules. I hope that is understandable. :)

While personal attacks are not cool, a debate in an echo chamber makes for a very short and not-at-all-productive debate.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Sjerrie wrote: »
    While personal attacks are not cool, a debate in an echo chamber makes for a very short and not-at-all-productive debate.

Which is exactly why I made a separate thread for a civil debate ( https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/80569/bg3-worth-it-or-not-debate-thread/ ), besides the criticism thread ( https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/80568/the-problem-with-bg3-criticism-thread/ ), so that we can leave this announcements thread for announcements and news only. I hope you have noticed them both. :)
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308

Which is exactly why I made a separate thread for a civil debate ( https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/80569/bg3-worth-it-or-not-debate-thread/ ), besides the criticism thread ( https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/80568/the-problem-with-bg3-criticism-thread/ ), so that we can leave this announcements thread for announcements and news only. I hope you have noticed them both. :)
    Sorry, but you don't get to tell everyone else what they can post where. I am happy to check out your threads, but they don't in any way foreclose my being able to post what I want in other threads. In this thread for example, if someone posts a comment that there was some new aspect of the game discussed in the latest "Update" newsletter and that they liked/agreed with/are excited about it, why shouldn't someone else post that they did not like/agree with that new revelation?
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    kanisatha wrote: »
    Sorry, but you don't get to tell everyone else what they can post where.

I hope you understand the difference between an order and a suggestion. In this case, it was my suggestion. You are totally free to disagree with that.

I just tried to negotiate between the opposing camps, hoping everyone could come to a middle ground. Seems that attempt was futile. I don't regret having tried though.

I'll see myself out now. Have a good day everyone.
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    @Rik_Kirtaniya thanks for trying. I appreciate the effort.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    And here I thought this subforum was still salvageable, a pity.

Thanks for your effort @Rik_Kirtaniya
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

This isn't a "announcements and news only" thread, and it never was.

I just tried to negotiate between the opposing camps, hoping everyone could come to a middle ground. Seems that attempt was futile. I don't regret having tried though.

It seems to me that your "middle ground" is identical to the wishes of those who wants to stop people from posting their differing opinions in this thread.
    edited October 2020
    Sure, let´s continue discussing why BG3 shouldn´t be called that, why it´s equal to Dos3 and why it´s not RTwP , just to celebrate the anniversary of the start of the discussion that goes nowhere (yes, the discussion already lasts for a whole year, with no new arguments in neither side in months). Don´t let us keep you distracted from it. It´s not like there are more topics about the game that could be discussed and, who does not love to be trapped forever in the infinite time loop of the "Groundhog Day"?
    Post edited by PsicoVic on
    edited October 2020
    In other order of things, it´s confirmed that there´ll be no local split-screen in the EA. I hope you could have it in the final installment of the game.
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    There are RPG videogames like DA2 or Drakensang: TROT where you can only save one of your party members (your siblings in DA2 and the mage or the HE ranger in drakensang) and you have to play several times the game to see the full content. I hope it´s the case in Bg3.

There's a difference between NOT being able to save ONE, and ONLY being able to save THREE.
    Or four and only one is left behind. Just remember you can be an origin character (I.E. One of your companions) so only one or two characters would be left behind.
    Personal tastes aside, that is the same already done in many games, the two already mentioned, the first POE where Calisca dies in the prelude, the two Grey warden recruit companions that die in DaO and daO: Awakening, Thrask the soldier that cannot escape the Endar Spire in Kotor with you, etc etc etc.

The difference is that in those games you cannot go back and play with the ones that you left behind, it seems in this game you could go back and play with a different party in the next run, if it is made the same way it´s done in Drakensang:TROT If (and only if) it´s made that way I´m ok with it. Gives me something new to watch the next time I replay the game with another character.

That said, it´s merely speculation, we would not know for sure until later. Maybe even after the final release of the game, because it´s already announced that the EA would only last for Ch1 and with only 5 companions.
    In other order of things, it´s confirmed that there´ll be no local split-screen in the EA. I hope you could have it in the final installment of the game.
    There are RPG videogames like DA2 or Drakensang: TROT where you can only save one of your party members (your siblings in DA2 and the mage or the HE ranger in drakensang) and you have to play several times the game to see the full content. I hope it´s the case in Bg3.

There's a difference between NOT being able to save ONE, and ONLY being able to save THREE.
    Or four and only one is left behind. Just remember you can be an origin character (I.E. One of your companions) so only one or two characters would be left behind.
    Personal tastes aside, that is the same already done in many games, the two already mentioned, the first POE where Calisca dies in the prelude, the two Grey warden recruit companions that die in DaO and daO: Awakening, Thrask the soldier that cannot escape the Endar Spire in Kotor with you, etc etc etc.

The difference is that in those games you cannot go back and play with the ones that you left behind, it seems in this game you could go back and play with a different party in the next run, if it is made the same way it´s done in Drakensang:TROT

That said, it´s merely speculation, we would not know for sure until later. Maybe even after the final release of the game, because it´s already announced that the EA would only last for Ch1 and with only 5 companions.
    This completely ignores what us critics are even saying and just makes up stuff.

First, the "companions" that get killed off in the prelude of PoE are not real companions. Every single companion in that games is met later on and is fully available throughout the game. Same thing with the DA games. All the real companions of those games are met later and are fully available throughout the game. So you're claims here are completely false.

Second, the complaint is NOT about not being able to play with those companions who are lost. So how does playing with a different party next time in any way address the complaint? You are (deliberately?) mischaracterizing what people are complaining about.
    edited October 2020

The only reason so few are eventually left behind in DOS2 is that there already are very few companions to begin with. I think about as many as BG3 has now? On that note I very much hope those extra neutral and good party members sufficiently round out the roster.

The difference is that in those games you cannot go back and play with the ones that you left behind, it seems in this game you could go back and play with a different party in the next run, if it is made the same way it´s done in Drakensang:TROT

I don't feel those are comparable. Haven't played PoE (yet), but the word prelude says it already: Calisca was never meant (read: fleshed out enough) to survive, at least not longer is needed for an introduction to the party-based mechanics. Same goes for the Warden recruits in DAO: exxtremely early in the game, intro to party mechanics, and their death is also meant as a stark reminder that becoming a Grey Warden is not without dangers or cost.

You also meet a well-rounded cast of other potential party members after, some of whom can die, but can also be saved, depending on the player's choice.

I would not be surprised though if some of those not-yet-announced party members for BG3 (or even all) can only be recruited after you're locked in with the current confirmed ones. Which would feel like kind of a cop-out, severely limiting our options, but that is just my opinion and speculation on my part.
    edited October 2020
    ... and the expectation of a polite discussion in good faith goes out of the window. I do not really know what part of my post would have triggered you so much but I will try to clear out the air.

Yeah, I know those are not meant to be full-fledged companions in Kotor, POE, etc, (Well there´s a trick to play with Calisca in POE and Shandra Jerro in NWN2 but they do not have dialogue after their deaths) that´s why I said that in those games you cannot go back and play the entire game with them but In BG3 it seems you can. I do not know what part misrepresents anything and what I´ve made up but man (ED: This reply is for the post of kanisatha and only for his, just to be clear)
    edited October 2020

The only reason so few are eventually left behind in DOS2 is that there already are very few companions to begin with. I think about as many as BG3 has now? On that note I very much hope those extra neutral and good party members sufficiently round out the roster.

I don't feel those are comparable. Haven't played PoE (yet), but the word prelude says it already: Calisca was never meant (read: fleshed out enough) to survive, at least not longer is needed for an introduction to the party-based mechanics. Same goes for the Warden recruits in DAO: exxtremely early in the game, intro to party mechanics, and their death is also meant as a stark reminder that becoming a Grey Warden is not without dangers or cost.

You also meet a well-rounded cast of other potential party members after, some of whom can die, but can also be saved, depending on the player's choice.

I would not be surprised though if some of those not-yet-announced party members for BG3 (or even all) can only be recruited after you're locked in with the current confirmed ones. Which would feel like kind of a cop-out, severely limiting our options, but that is just my opinion and speculation on my part.

Also happens in Grandia2 with Lion, with Shandra Jerro in NWN2,... and in those games you do not get to decide or save them. I prefer if you can.
    If it is made like in the first Mass Effect game, where you can decide to save Ashley or Kaiden (and you get to play them the rest of the game and even in ME3) I would be ok with it. That would spice up my next playthrough. I do not particularly care about games where you get to see almost 100% of the game in one playthrough.
    There´s simply a matter of perspective. You are assuming that you must have a full roster of companions. I am assuming that in the game someone is going to die or is left behind because that´s what they told us. If that´s the case I prefer if you can hire the companions you lost before when you replay the game.

There are only 5 companions in the EA`s Ch1. If you have to left behind one (or two if you are not playing an origin character) but you can recruit him/her the next time you replay the game, I´m fine with it. Seems like a good excuse to reroll another character.

That said, I am not trying to convince anyone, I just expressing my preferences.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited October 2020
    Relax everyone. WDZZ.gif

When you're in an argument, take your feelings out of the fight. Cease to fight. Do not throw any bombs. Let others have their opinion and don't try to win them over. Don't try to win the argument.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    *peeks into thread*

:expressionless:

*returns to bug testing WotR instead*
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I just hope our speculations are true and there's more companions further on in the chapters.
    edited October 2020
    It is confirmed by Larian´s CEO Sven Vincke in the interview and gameplay with the youtubers that there are more companions besides the ones that will be in the EA.
    Also happens in Grandia2 with Lion, with Shandra Jerro in NWN2,... and in those games you do not get to decide or save them. I prefer if you can.
    If it is made like in the first Mass Effect game, where you can decide to save Ashley or Kaiden (and you get to play them the rest of the game and even in ME3) I would be ok with it. That would spice up my next playthrough. I do not particularly care about games where you get to see almost 100% of the game in one playthrough.
    There´s simply a matter of perspective. You are assuming that you must have a full roster of companions. I am assuming that in the game someone is going to die or is left behind because that´s what they told us. If that´s the case I prefer if you can hire the companions you lost before when you replay the game.

Again, that is only the one character you're not able to save.

In any case, I think you and I just have differing preferences when it comes to re-playability. :smile:

I prefer the choice to take perhaps a different group into one quest than I did the previous one, one that feels more appropriate at the time, instead of having that choice forcibly limited for me. I would still replay the game to take different companions into that quest and hear their take on it. My player characters can be fickle but calculated, so if the party is heading into a Goblin stronghold, and we know someone who just happens to be Goblin, sure let's take them along even though we don't do that too often. I hope that makes sense, no hard feelings either way. :smile:
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    scriver wrote: »
    I just hope our speculations are true and there's more companions further on in the chapters.

I think there are tiers to companions:

There are the fleshed our Origin characters.

There are the less fleshed out mercenaries.

Then there are whatever US or whatever the name of the pet intellectual devourer was.

Who knows what the actual divide is.
    edited October 2020
    Scratch this, already read how to do it.

... and the expectation of a polite discussion in good faith goes out of the window. I do not really know what part of my post would have triggered you so much but I will try to clear out the air.

Yeah, I know those are not meant to be full-fledged companions in Kotor, POE, etc, (Well there´s a trick to play with Calisca in POE and Shandra Jerro in NWN2 but they do not have dialogue after their deaths) that´s why I said that in those games you cannot go back and play the entire game with them but In BG3 it seems you can. I do not know what part misrepresents anything and what I´ve made up but man (ED: This reply is for the post of kanisatha and only for his, just to be clear)

Again, Calisca is NOT a companion. So your entire effort here to compare PoE with BG3 is false.

As for the rest, here's how I see it:
    Me: I want to be able to change who's in my party all throughout my game. But BG3 won't allow this.
    You: You can replay the game.
    Me: Replaying the game is completely irrelevant because it has nothing to do with my concern.
    Me: Replaying the game does NOT fix my problem!!
    Me: extremely aggravated
    edited October 2020
    Again, I was expressing my opinion based on my personal tastes, not trying to undermine yours. Having an opinion myself and posting it, even if it´s against yours it´s not diminishing your preferences nor attacking your values. I´m astonished to have to explain that.

You´re putting it like we were discussing it at length and it was only ONE post of mine replying to another forumite without saying anything about your preferences but about mine`s, and then you replying in triggered mode.

I said I like to have more options when I replay the game, namely being able to save party members that die in the previous run. The rest is in your head, and only in your head. I don´t particularly care what you like or not, so giving you criticism or advice was never intended.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    No monks, no Half Orcs, no druids? Oof. I know it's early access, so they will probably be added later. At least, I hope so.
    edited October 2020
    No Pallys or Sorcerers either. =(
    We know they will add the 12 classes of the PHB in the final instalment of the game, but we do not have confirmation of all the subclasses or the races included besides the ones in the PHB.
    I hope for some spells, subclasses and features of the usual official extended rulebooks like Volo´s, Xanathar´s or Tasha´s , even this one is too new and adds some complicated mechanic changes that I do not expect to see in BG3.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    No Pallys or Sorcerers either. =(
    We know they will add the 12 classes of the PHB in the final instalment of the game, but we do not have confirmation of all the subclasses or the races included besides the ones in the PHB.
    I hope for some spells, subclasses and features of the usual official extended rulebooks like Volo´s, Xanathar´s or Tasha´s , even this one is too new and adds some complicated mechanic changes that I do not expect to see in BG3.

Yeah. I think they've commented on this in the AMAs or during the livestreams that they plan to have the base classes in the game for launch. Archetypes are the big question in my mind.

If they dont include all the classes, I will be bitterly, bitterly disappointed.

I believe they have commented on including other races (like Gnomes) which arent in the EA.

The respec thing is going to be interesting. I *dont* want a respec feature like DOS:2, where I can change everyone completely anytime I want to. Ialso *dont* want each NPC be totally changable like in DOS2. I dont think that'll be the case, because their classes seem baked into their story (Wyll wouldnt make much sense if he wasnt a Warlock, for example).

I'd prefer to be able to fully control the leveling process for each character, but I can live with them having most of the control over that (Maybe I cant make Wyll multiclass into X class, but I bet I'll be able to choose his spells and feats and such).

There's a lot of important information coming out here. A lot of it is clearly up in the air. So much so that I dont think even EA will be a great indicator (at least, immediately. Towards the end of EA, I expect they'll have more answers).
    I was unaware of those Tiefling sub-"races", and while I find the concept interesting I'm dissapointed all of them are Devil bloodlines, and high-profile ones at that.

Also unsure why the split between Drow was necessary.

But good to see that line-up! Looking forward to seeing more down the line.
    edited October 2020
    I think the Drow subdivisions are not a mechanical/rule ones, but a backstory/origin ones. They allow you to differentiate between Underdark Lolth-worshipping classic drows and "surface" drows because there´s no specific background for that.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Is Vhaerun still around in 5ed? I kind of enjoy the notion to play half-drow Vhaerun worshipper.
    I think the Drow subdivisions are not a mechanical/rule ones, but a backstory/origin ones. They allow you to differentiate between Underdark Lolth-worshipping classic drows and "surface" drows because there´s no specific background for that.

Yeah I get that. I just assumed if it's mentioned, it'll matter at least at some point in the game, likely when meeting a drow faction. But at that point I'm thinking how would they know if you're one or the other, but through your own roleplay?