Skip to content

What is your favorite single class? (fighter, mage, thief, cleric, etc)

bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
  1. What is your favorite single class? (fighter, mage, thief, cleric, etc)244 votes
    1. Fighter / Barbarian
      13.93%
    2. Mage / Sorcerer
      28.69%
    3. Thief
      13.11%
    4. Cleric
        8.61%
    5. Bard
        6.56%
    6. Druid
        2.05%
    7. Paladin
      13.93%
    8. Ranger
        9.43%
    9. Monk
        2.46%
    10. Others (please specify)
        1.23%

Comments

• alannahsmithalannahsmith Member Posts: 143
    Ranger was my first. ;-)
  • XanthulXanthul Member Posts: 57
    For me it's as follows:

1- Mage / Sorcerer
    2- Fighter / Barbarian
    3- Paladin
    4- Cleric
    5- Ranger
    6- Monk
    7- Druid
    8- Bard

Druids and bards are the only classes that I've never played seriously, though I'm kinda warming up to the idea of an Avenger now. I'm not sure I will ever play a bard, the class just doesn't appeal to me.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    BG1 - Fighters, specifically rangers.
    BG2 - Any form of caster, but mostly sorcerers and clerics.

In BG1, a caster PC feels a touch underpowered at the start. In BG2, I get severely bored of fighter classes that lack any great versatility.

Usually, though, I take any class that has more interesting options for customization at level up rather than just glancing at the screen and clicking "Accept."
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited October 2012
    Blackguard in particular.

Or a Berserker.

I always play ghostly pale characters with white hair though, kinda like a freak show :p
    Post edited by Mornmagor on
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    edited October 2012
    For me, the answer depends on whether we're talking about BG1 or BG2.

In BG1, paladins all the way. They just seem so overpowered compared to the other classes in the game IMO.

BG2 is tougher call, since the game is more magic oriented than the 1st and the paladin's strength aren't as dominating. Inquisitors are still very powerful, but I think barbarians or berserkers are as much or more powerful.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited October 2012
    Clerics becomes very powerful very fast. If multiclassed with fighters or dual classed from fighter you get the best buffs and defenses with tremendous combat ability.

And turning a lich is fun ;)
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Tricky call, mage or monk.. can't really decide.
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    In playing BG I usually play a fighter as main character.
    In D&D, me be Trust, Hammer o' Moradin! Catch me hammer if ye can!
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Bards, sorcerers and fighter/thieves are my favorites!
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    Paladin for these reasons :

- They can heal themselves (very useful at the beginning when there is not much healing capabilities in the party).
    - They can buff themselves (and the party) with protection against evil
    - Since in BG1, at the start you can only allow two stars to a weapon proficiency, you don't see the real difference with fighters until the end. - and given the fact you can only put 4 stars in your weapon proficiency in BG1 as a warrior).
    - They can turn undead (even if weak at the beginning).
    - They have better saving throws.

Concerning other classes, I like them all, but since the PC's death means end of the game, and since both games are lacking of real tanks / fighters, I'd rather make him a warrior/paladin (or a dual classed warrior) than a mage or thief.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    ... because when the shit hits the fan, the Thieves are normally the first outta there.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Paladin. I like to be a hero when I am playing Baldur's Gate (because the chances of me doing anything heroic in real life are pretty slim).

When playing PnP I prefer to be a thief because you always have stuff to do.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Fighter. Just because hand to hand fighting is the aspect I like most in the game. But I love being able to backstab, so thief would be my second. Thief dual to Fighter would be ideal.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I have actually completed the game only once as a Mage, and BG2 once as a Sorcerer, despite them being my favourite classes since day1! I have played quite a few times as a Ranger, though I don't consider them one of my favourites at all... O.o

First things first, Mages and Sorcerers get all the prettiest things to wave around in front of friends and foes.
    Secondly, it is entirely due to the dastardly deeds of Mages that a questline emerged giving the offspring of the God of Murder the option to say "Forsooth! Methinks this is no ordinary talking chicken!"
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Necromancers, specifically. I've always had a preference for playing creepy characters.

Plus, they're a great challenge at low levels (low hit points and no Mirror Image spell), and they are quite powerful at higher levels. Most people seem to prefer Conjurers, but I'd rather have access to the Divination school than Illusion, especially since BG:EE will now have BG2 spells (Oracle, specifically).
  • RageCasterRageCaster Member Posts: 7
    It's not fair to put fighter with barbarian . They are totally different .
    Actually what I love is human fighter .
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Thief.

My fav multi-class is Fighter/Cleric but when it comes to single class ... lol everything changes, Thief thanks.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Tough choice between thief or mage... Mage has it only just because they can stop time!
    Anduin said:

Tough choice between thief or mage... Mage has it only just because they can stop time!

But so can thieves ;)
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Favourite single class is Druid even though their implementation in the BG series is a bit underwhelming. Also, their philosophy is batshit crazy but I can ignore that. I like characters who mix offensive magic and combat skills so Druid is fun for me for that reason mostly.

Bards are my second favourite class because I'm always attracted to this kind of jack-of-all-trades class in any RPG, although I detest the "musical" concept to the class and being given a bloody theatre as a stronghold. But I can ignore that too :p
  • cory5694cory5694 Member Posts: 23
    Ranger is the first of only 2 that I beat the entire game with :/ and until this point I didn't know who I was going to play bg ee with but now I do :D
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    Cleric for me, although I also like the druid, bard, ranger, mage, sorcerer and thief, not necessarily in this order :).
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Rogues in general. Cleric is my favorite class, but only under multi or dual circumstances.
    Thieves and bards are just too fun to play, even without multi or dual-classing them. Especially Blade and Swashie <3
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @Quartz The use any item ability is pretty cooool. Theives can stop time.

In fact... I'm gonna go Wildmage / Thief. Shadowkeeper should manage it...

Just love people who can stab you in the back...
  • eainterplayeainterplay Member Posts: 55
    If I'm going to play a pure class, then it's cleric. I usually play some kind of dual/multi fighter/mage combination.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    edited October 2012
    I love ranger but I never beet the game with them cuz I become fallin and then get pissed. I don't like being a goody goody I want an evil ranger like one that fallows auril or something.
    Rajick said:

I love ranger but I never beet the game with them cuz I become fallin and then get pissed. I don't like being a goody goody I want an evil ranger like one that fallows auril or something.

I plan on being a bamph in BG:EE and becoming a Fallen Archer. I find this suitable because Evil parties only lack one thing in BG1; a good ranged fighter!! Shar-Teel and Montaron can adapt to it decently, but they pale in comparison to Good parties' Kivan and Coran.

Fallen Archer - Dorn - Edwin - Viconia - Montaron - Xzar

It will be an extremely powerful party to say the least.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    In BG1: Cleric, a nice blend of offense, healing and buffing spells, plus the PC can be the best cleric in the game with 20 wisdom
    In BG2: There is an abundance of clerics (or divine casters) so I tend to play something else like rogue or bard. But still prefer Clerics.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited October 2012
    Fighter - Stoopid
    Mage - I put on my robe and wizard hat
    Thief - Emo
    Cleric - My god is better than your god
    Bard - Behold the power of my lute
    Druid - I devote my life to potplants
    Ranger - Drizzt clone
    Monk - I watch too much anime

Paladin master race reporting in here.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Rajick said:

This is one of the things that annoy me about BG1. "Okay, gonna put together an evil party. So my choices of front liners are Fighter, Fighter, annnnnnnd Fighter. Cool."

Apparently, if you're evil you lack the necessary skills to hide in the bushes and shoot a bow at the same time. Who knew?