Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    I agree with you there semitic, but just want to add that some personal responsibility is at play here too. People spend their time online on "fun" sites like FB, twitter and chasing salacious rumors instead of devoting an hour or two to the NYT, WSJ or even the dozens of sober and subscription free outlets available.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    CNN is reporting what was mentioned earlier, that Pence is giving all the orders. Again, there is no constitutional authority vested in Pence to do anything. Which begs the question as to whether the 25th is being invoked. The same reporting is saying that Trump is "out of his mind" and that the source says fears inside the White House are that it will only get worse as the walls close in. Something has to be done. We can no longer just assume things are going to work out on their own.

That's why I brought up the Pence thing. It's really weird that he'd be calling the shots. Trump's Twitter account has been suspended as well. The buck-naked Emperor is probably ranting in the Oval Office as we speak. The most powerful man in the world? I don't think so. The President of the US does not have the power that we think he does.
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    edited January 2021
    The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is keeping them ignorant.

Maximilian Robespierre

I know it belongs in “Quotes” thread but it is relevant. How much education did anyone see in today’s events? Mostly it was the ignorant making a stand that they do not even understand.

Their ignorance is mostly a choice. They are not children. No one has been forcing them to mainline FOX News and AM radio for decades. The only thing they "understand" is that people like them are the only ones who should decide who is in charge. That they own this country, and that elected officials put in power by the votes of liberals or (especially) minorities are illegitimate. The "election fraud" bullshit is just a nice mask they can throw on to avoid saying this out loud.

As is your ignorance of who they are. Just a choice, you have decided who they are because of your own beliefs, without ever understanding them at all.

This day was wrong in so many ways, more wrong is perpetuating bs. What you are rightly accusing them of. Bs is also thinking you have any idea what they were thinking. You do that quite a bit I have noticed. Like somehow your knowledge of the human species, and the way they think is somehow godlike in its accuracy. I am asking you to give it a rest. The world knows what happened today and those who are guilty. The thugs attacked democracy at the bidding of their lord and god Donald Trump, and they united the country against them all. Everything you wanted was given to you today on a silver platter, stop complaining about the people that handed it to you.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited January 2021
    The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is keeping them ignorant.

Maximilian Robespierre

I know it belongs in “Quotes” thread but it is relevant. How much education did anyone see in today’s events? Mostly it was the ignorant making a stand that they do not even understand.

Their ignorance is mostly a choice. They are not children. No one has been forcing them to mainline FOX News and AM radio for decades. The only thing they "understand" is that people like them are the only ones who should decide who is in charge. That they own this country, and that elected officials put in power by the votes of liberals or (especially) minorities are illegitimate. The "election fraud" bullshit is just a nice mask they can throw on to avoid saying this out loud.

As is your ignorance of who they are. Just a choice, you have decided who they are because of your own beliefs, without ever understanding them at all.

This day was wrong in so many ways, more wrong is perpetuating bs. What you are rightly accusing them of. Bs is also thinking you have any idea what they were thinking. You do that quite a bit I have noticed. Like somehow your knowledge of the human species, and the way they think is somehow godlike in its accuracy. I am asking you to give it a rest. The world knows what happened today and those who are guilty. The thugs attacked democracy at the bidding of their lord and god Donald Trump, and they united the country against them all. Everything you wanted was given to you today on a silver platter, stop complaining about the people that handed it to you.

I have no expectation this will unite the country against anything. I'd be shocked if he lost even two points in his approval rating. It's caused some in the moment soul-searching from Republicans in the chamber because they were literally confronted with the monster they made. By this time tomorrow, the same media infrastructure I was talking about will be attempting to pretend this never happened, and about 35% of the country will either a.) ignore it or b.) excuse it. Ignoring what led to this moment is not remotely constructive. This is a long tale, and it didn't start this afternoon.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    For the record, this isn't what we wanted. Liberals didn't want an example of bad behavior on the right; we want this stuff to stop.

Maximilian Robespierre

Well said @Nightfall. The demonization of the 'opposition' is what causes this bullshit. However, Trump has made it apparent to me that the right in this country is dangerously unhinged. Worse, they're trying to intertwine religion and politics which is even more dangerous. I will not be voting Republican again until they get things under control. This from a conservative who used to actually believe the Republican Party cared about conservatism. Now I believe they will throw out any conservative belief in the desperate pursuit of power. Sorry, I don't care why they believe what they believe anymore. It's fascinating to try to figure out why a serial killer thinks the way they do, but I sure as shit will not vote for one...
    Balrog99 wrote: »

Maximilian Robespierre

Well said @Nightfall. The demonization of the 'opposition' is what causes this bullshit. However, Trump has made it apparent to me that the right in this country is dangerously unhinged. Worse, they're trying to intertwine religion and politics which is even more dangerous. I will not be voting Republican again until they get things under control. This from a conservative who used to actually believe the Republican Party cared about conservatism. Now I believe they will throw out any conservative belief in the desperate pursuit of power. Sorry, I don't care why they believe what they believe anymore. It's fascinating to try to figure out why a serial killer thinks the way they do, but I sure as shit will not vote for one...

Agreed. I would vote for Mitt Romney again though.
    edited January 2021
    For the record, this isn't what we wanted. Liberals didn't want an example of bad behavior on the right; we want this stuff to stop.

Just because something was inevitable, and predicted, doesn't mean the people who said so were hoping for it. Take COVID-19 as another example. I'm not going to apologize for being correct, and I'm not particularly happy that the people who were correct were dismissed as being paranoid and alarmist, when it's entirely arguable that this whole thing has turned out WORSE than even the most pessimistic prognostications. And we still have 14 days to go. THIS is what " he won't leave if he loses" meant. This exactly.
    Based on the news and statements that are trickling in, I think it's more likely than not that Donald Trump's Presidency will end before January 20th.

I'd like to believe this but I'm not as sure as you. This powder keg does not need a match. Two weeks. That's all we need. Trump is irrelevant now. Nobody will listen to any martial law declaration. Nobody will push 'The Button' for him. Nobody will go to war with Iran for him. His account probably won't be restored on Twitter. The networks likely won't allow him to rant on the airwaves. Just let this asshole die on the vine...
    Fyi: I was watching Fox News for most of the evening because CNN was getting a little hysterical. I switched back to CNN after hearing Sarah Palin ranting about Antifa being behind the violence today. She also flat out talked about starting a 3rd party. Could this be something that Trump is considering? Wouldn't surprise me. If That happens at least I'd be able to vote Republican again, I guess... ?
    edited January 2021
    Based on the news and statements that are trickling in, I think it's more likely than not that Donald Trump's Presidency will end before January 20th.

I'd like to believe this but I'm not as sure as you. This powder keg does not need a match. Two weeks. That's all we need. Trump is irrelevant now. Nobody will listen to any martial law declaration. Nobody will push 'The Button' for him. Nobody will go to war with Iran for him. His account probably won't be restored on Twitter. The networks likely won't allow him to rant on the airwaves. Just let this asshole die on the vine...

This would have been fine 5 hours ago. I no longer believe that we can take that chance. Moreover, if Pence is acting as the de facto President we can't have the two of them giving conflicting orders. I truly do not believe these events are overhyped or hysteria and we disagree on that.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    DinoDin wrote: »
    I'd argue even the 25th Amendment provision is a bad idea. It has to be impeachment. The 25th really is about the prez being incapacitated in some state, a physical emergency. This is a political emergency. Supporters of the outgoing head of the executive branch staged an attack and succeeded in delaying the actions of the legislative branch. It's exactly why the Constitution gives the legislature impeachment powers.

All these Republicans need to, at the least, be put on the record with a vote again.

You can 25th amendment him now and Impeach him after he's out of office if needed in order to prevent him from running from office again.

This would have been fine 5 hours ago. I no longer believe that we can take that chance. Moreover, if Pence is acting as the de facto President we can't have the two of them giving conflicting orders. I truly do not believe these events are overhyped or hysteria and we disagree on that.

Conflicting orders? Trump's not giving orders, he's just whining about the election he lost.
    edited January 2021
    I'd argue even the 25th Amendment provision is a bad idea. It has to be impeachment. The 25th really is about the prez being incapacitated in some state, a physical emergency. This is a political emergency. Supporters of the outgoing head of the executive branch staged an attack and succeeded in delaying the actions of the legislative branch. It's exactly why the Constitution gives the legislature impeachment powers.

All these Republicans need to, at the least, be put on the record with a vote again.

You can 25th amendment him now and Impeach him after he's out of office if needed in order to prevent him from running from office again.

Conflicting orders? Trump's not giving orders, he's just whining about the election he lost.

We have no idea what he's doing, or what he's capable of at this point. I only know that the Constitution doesn't give Mike Pence the authority to order anyone to the men's room as far as Presidential decisions go, and if he's issuing those orders there a.) must be a reason for it and b.) it needs to be made official.

This would have been fine 5 hours ago. I no longer believe that we can take that chance. Moreover, if Pence is acting as the de facto President we can't have the two of them giving conflicting orders.

We're seeing what we're not supposed to see. Our system works because of EVERYBODY in government. Not just one man. There is no 'most powerful man in the world'. Never has been. It's always been a group effort. Even Stalin and Hitler couldn't have had the power they did on their own. It's becoming more and more obvious that Congress needs to step up and become the real 3rd EQUAL branch of our government instead of hiding behind the President and SCOTUS and lamenting their powerlessness. Time for those pricks to step up and represent us like they should instead of pandering to party politics.

We have no idea what he's doing, or what he's capable of at this point. I only know that the Constitution doesn't give Mike Pence the authority to order anyone to the men's room as far as Presidential decisions go, and if he's issuing those orders there a.) must be a reason for it and b.) it needs to be made official.

We can't handle the truth!
    Seriously at this point in time...
    edited January 2021
    Josh Hawley gets up and takes no responsibility for any of this, and concern trolls about PA mail-in balloting. A truly dangerous man, Trump with the veneer of respectability:

Wow, color me surprised. Not sure if this is the right move unless Trump really is unhinged. If he truly believes his own bullshit though, I guess it's evidence of mental breakdown? I truly hope this doesn't lead to violence, but I'm not optimistic...
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659

Wow, color me surprised. Not sure if this is the right move unless Trump really is unhinged. If he truly believes his own bullshit though, I guess it's evidence of mental breakdown? I truly hope this doesn't lead to violence, but I'm not optimistic...

100% agree with you. The truth is - I dont know which move is MORE dangerous: leaving Trump where he's at now? or replacing him with Pence? I have absolutely no idea.

I have read that Trump is currently still lobbying senators to continue objecting to state certifications. So apparently he's still coherent enough to focus on this. However, the fact that he STILL THINKS that's a good idea maybe shows that he isnt "fit" to hold office at the moment. I dont know.

100% agree with you. The truth is - I dont know which move is MORE dangerous: leaving Trump where he's at now? or replacing him with Pence? I have absolutely no idea.

I have read that Trump is currently still lobbying senators to continue objecting to state certifications. So apparently he's still coherent enough to focus on this. However, the fact that he STILL THINKS that's a good idea maybe shows that he isnt "fit" to hold office at the moment. I dont know.

This is high drama in real time. I'm absolutely at a loss what the right move is. This is Exactly what we elect our representatives to figure out. Hopefully they step up and do the right thing (whatever that is at this point).
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited January 2021
    ...Trump's twitter isn't suspended... just checked. He did have 3 recent tweets deleted so Twitter doesn't consider him a world leader anymore. edit: nevermind, he's banned for posting for 12 hours... I wonder what his first post is going to be once the ban is lifted... my first amendment rights blah blah revoke 230 now... blah blah blah... and ban. Getting the popcorn ready.

I doubt the 25th was enacted. Trump would be screaming about it if it was. I honestly think this is just a low key coup in the presidency's dying days with everyone from Pence to McConnell to top generals agreeing to it, and working as peacefully as possible to restore some sense of order.

Now I am awaiting Trump's next move, burning down the Oval Office or literally stealing everything not bolted down (and some stuff that is) as he moves out gets kicked out of his home.
    The narrative that this was actually the work of Antifa today is ALL over right-wing social media. Even being echoed by Brit Hume, who has been the senior political analyst at FOX News since I was in high school. Get ready for the whitewashing. This is what they do.
    "It is a kingdom of conscience or nothing." Balian, Kingdom of Heaven

Funny how his staff is jumping ship now, when their own conscience should have demanded they do so long ago. When did doing the right thing become so wrong? Not one side or another, but when did it become acceptable to do whatever you wanted as long as you didn't get caught? Probably forever right.

I truly do not belong in this world.
  • m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
    edited January 2021
    The people that stormed the Capitol might as well have said: "Sure, I'll play by your rules. But if I loose, then we need to change the rules until I win."
    "It is a kingdom of conscience or nothing." Balian, Kingdom of Heaven

Funny how his staff is jumping ship now, when their own conscience should have demanded they do so long ago. When did doing the right thing become so wrong? Not one side or another, but when did it become acceptable to do whatever you wanted as long as you didn't get caught? Probably forever right.

I truly do not belong in this world.

The ends justify the means, until they don't...
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited January 2021

It did lead to violence, today. A person died, a few cops were taken to the hospital. I'm sure we'll get reports tomorrow of more injured and possibly dead.

Republican Congress people were cowering in terror from the monster they helped egg on earlier today.

sub-buzz-12893-1609974436-12.jpg?downsize=800:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto

o2k9q9x3ct961.jpg
    edited January 2021
    The conduct of the police today and the complete lack of preparation for something that has been telegraphed by the right-wing extremist internet for at least a MONTH should be the subject of a Congressional Commission. Because those who were there stood down at best and were giving the insurrectionists 'atta boys at worst, and the complete lack of presence in the first place compared to protests over the summer is the starkest reminder yet of how we have more than one class of citizenship in this country.

Merrick Garland (yep, that Merrick Garland) is gonna be the AG. I hope the absolute hammer is brought down on everyone they can identify and locate. These people cheered Trump's call for 10 years for destroying statues. So everyone who stepped foot in that Capitol today should be doing at LEAST a decade behind bars. I don't give a shit anymore. These people have acted unchecked for YEARS, and this is the result.
    The conduct of the police today and the complete lack of preparation for something that has been telegraphed by the right-wing extremist internet for at least a MONTH should be the subject of a Congressional Commission. Because those who were there stood down at best and were giving the insurrectionists 'atta boys at worst, and the complete lack of presence in the first place compared to protests over the summer is the starkest reminder yet of how we have more than one class of citizenship in this country.

Merrick Garland (yep, that Merrick Garland) is gonna be the AG. I hope the absolute hammer is brought down on everyone they can identify and locate. These people cheered Trump's call for 10 years for destroying statues. So everyone who stepped foot in that Capitol today should be doing at LEAST a decade behind bars. I don't give a shit anymore. These people have acted unchecked for YEARS, and this is the result.

Won't happen. Statue destroyers won't get 10 years either. Two wrongs don't make a right. It's high time to defuse this shit, not rehash it every 2-4 years. Do you honestly think there's any chance that your 'side' will suddenly have a lock on power? Let's shelve this righteousness b.s. and get on with running this country the old fashioned way. Compromise...
    In response to that, I feel like this is actually the perfect time to post this clip I just watched. Yeah, yeah MSNBC, liberal network, all that. Tell what they're incorrect about here. And, with all due respect, you are treating this exactly how they are saying here, like some kind of cute freak show. It isn't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxLQQW9fkmM&ab_channel=MSNBC