Skip to content

Baldur's Gate III released into Early Access

Comments

• PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    If the new patch just broke your mods, this is what you need "Patch 3 mod Fixer"
    https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/141

Improved UI, how much I missed you... (just remember to disable feedback if you are using mods and keep a vanilla profile to give feedback to larian)

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The Panel From Hell 2 will happen February 17th at 10am PT

Adam_en_tiumSjerrieBallpointManArvia
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    It's live now!

• SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    All wildshapes can climb, including the OX?

If I didn't see the animation with my own eyes I'd think it was a joke.
    Goruma
    I liked how they approached the ladders in the shapeshifter form. No additional clicking for y'a!

The stream's honesty deserves to get all the credit it can get: Larian tried to show possible ways to counter combat where it goes against you. They showed an amazing number of tricks the player can use— but the game is not a joke, it punishes you for mistakes. That's similar to how original Baldur's Gate plays with SCS.
    SjerrieArvia
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    It's kind of ridiculous that they've made animations for cows climbing ladders but halfling animations for the same are still borked.

I've never played with SCS, but from what I've heard, it's supposed to be difficult. BG3 combat is not particularly challenging by default and if you find it challenging there is a host of cheap tricks to exploit that make it a cake walk.

I've gone from being positively surprised at launch to being very dishopeful about the game since the last patch. Larian seems to have absolutely no idea of how 5e works and how their changes to it is affecting the mechanics negatively, and they seem to have no intention of fixing the many problems I see with the game.
    kanisathaSjerrie
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    edited February 2021
    scriver wrote: »
    It's kind of ridiculous that they've made animations for cows climbing ladders but halfling animations for the same are still borked.

I've never played with SCS, but from what I've heard, it's supposed to be difficult. BG3 combat is not particularly challenging by default and if you find it challenging there is a host of cheap tricks to exploit that make it a cake walk.

I've gone from being positively surprised at launch to being very dishopeful about the game since the last patch. Larian seems to have absolutely no idea of how 5e works and how their changes to it is affecting the mechanics negatively, and they seem to have no intention of fixing the many problems I see with the game.
    Yep, Panel from Hell 2 is being treated quite harshly on the Larian BG3 subforum. At a minimum many are very disappointed that after all the hype we only got just a new class. Nothing on what they intend to do re. all the feedback fans have been giving over the past few months, especially in light of how Tactical Adventures and Owlcat are very positively handling their respective fan feedback.
    Sjerrie
    Well, the thing about EA is that there is supposed to be a higher level of communication between the developers and fans, and Larian is falling very short of the expected standard at the moment. Compare this several month long complete silence to how they acted back when the EA first dropped and people were complaining a lot about the elemental ground effects -- they very quickly put out a patch that diminished their effect.

As for "We have read your concerns and are absolutely not making any changes based on them!", how they had a WotC guy come on it just to parrot vapid "oh tbt and computer games are different so we have to make changes" line is pretty much that. And it's a shame, because the very stark "additions" they've made to the rules are making it a much worse game than it had to be.
    kanisathaWarChiefZeke
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    edited February 2021
    Well, the thing about EA is that there is supposed to be a higher level of communication between the developers and fans, and Larian is falling very short of the expected standard at the moment. Compare this several month long complete silence to how they acted back when the EA first dropped and people were complaining a lot about the elemental ground effects -- they very quickly put out a patch that diminished their effect.

As for "We have read your concerns and are absolutely not making any changes based on them!", how they had a WotC guy come on it just to parrot vapid "oh tbt and computer games are different so we have to make changes" line is pretty much that. And it's a shame, because the very stark "additions" they've made to the rules are making it a much worse game than it had to be.

I'm unconvinced.

The ground effect stuff wasnt handled super quickly. I remember months of complaining about it before they addressed it. It took about equally long for the companion change to come through. Larian isnt making changes at light speed because it doesnt make sense to so: They should only make a change after their certain it's the right thing to do.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect that certain rules to be changed for the game. This was absolutely the case for BG1 and 2. Also the case for IWD 1 and 2. PF:KM and every other D&D or D&D based system used in a game.

What I'm seeing is:

People are upset that their personal issues/critiques have yet to be addressed - and are deciding \ that because they havent been fixed yet, the wont ever be fixed.

Newly demonstrated mechanics (Druid shapeshift, for example) dont perfectly conform to 5e rules.

Larian had a whole big announcement, and people expected more than just a new class.

Point 1 is absurd. Specifically the idea that some issues will never fixed simply because they havent been already. Larian has made plenty of fixes already, and it's reasonable to assume the most glaring issues will be addressed before the game comes out of EA (They've already fixed other major issues, and we have no release date).

Point 2 is no different than elemental surfaces or other departures from the standard rules. If people dont like them, then it's pretty likely Larian will make changes. The (unreleased) game hasnt been ruined simply because they havent had time to assess fan feedback on a newly unveiled mechanic.

Point 3 is entirely fair, and yet absolutely an issue with user expectations.

Edit - wait. It sounds like the actual change log hasnt even been released yet. So people are critical of the changes (or lack thereof), and... dont even know what the changes are?
    JuliusBorisovmlneveseArvia
    They mentioned the patch notes will have hundreds of fixes, the patch is still in QA, this is why the full version wasn't published.

Some of the biggest criticisms of BG3 were: excessive surfaces & cantrips (addressed), dice during dialogues and how makes you reload (now will be addressed by the Patch 4), the lack of collective jumps from your party members (addressed), the lack of XP for non-fighting resolutions of conflicts (addressed), lots of UI nitpicks (eg. the number of clicks it takes to equip/unequip fire) (will be addressed).

While their developers don't communicate on daily basis on the forum, they do read all the posts (along with the feedback coming directly via support channels), and all the patches show their reaction to the feedback.

And they showed the druid class for the very first time. If the feedback to the ox climbing up the ladder is overwhelmingly negative, they will change it. Just as they changed the way cantrips work.
    BallpointManArvia
    Game came out in october, cantrip elemental effect was removed in december. Sure, two months are technically "months", but to suggest you aren't trying to make it seem like longer than it was.

Furthermore. Nobody is complaining is wants them to stick exactly to 5e rules. That's why the vapid "tbt is not like vidya gaems durr" comment is demeaning. I, and others like me, want specific changes from the 5e be removed -- not because we want the game to be "pure 5e 100%" but because those specific changes are bad. Things like giving constant effortless advantage on attacks rolls and effectively +5 to hit and +5 to AC for being at a greater height. Or reactions not being implemented. Or HP-based spells not having been rebalanced for the greater HP values they've given enemies. And so on.

The Druid thing is nearly meaningless in comparison -- although it is part of the many changes to the 5e action mechanics that shows that Larian does not actually get how the system works.
    Edit - wait. It sounds like the actual change log hasnt even been released yet. So people are critical of the changes (or lack thereof), and... dont even know what the changes are?

Because, and I'm repeating myself now -- they aren't communicating.

kanisatha
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    edited February 2021
    Game came out in october, cantrip elemental effect was removed in december. Sure, two months are technically "months", but to suggest you aren't trying to make it seem like longer than it was.

Furthermore. Nobody is complaining is wants them to stick exactly to 5e rules. That's why the vapid "tbt is not like vidya gaems durr" comment is demeaning. I, and others like me, want specific changes from the 5e be removed -- not because we want the game to be "pure 5e 100%" but because those specific changes are bad. Things like giving constant effortless advantage on attacks rolls and effectively +5 to hit and +5 to AC for being at a greater height. Or reactions not being implemented. Or HP-based spells not having been rebalanced for the greater HP values they've given enemies. And so on.

The Druid thing is nearly meaningless in comparison -- although it is part of the many changes to the 5e action mechanics that shows that Larian does not actually get how the system works.

Because, and I'm repeating myself now -- they aren't communicating.

I mean. It came out October 6th. The elemental surfaces change happened in early December. It wasnt "technically months". It was literally two months. The game has only been out for 4 and a half months. Literally slightly under half the time the game has been out is how long it took them to decide to make that change.

They are communicating. According to the forums, it sounds like it'll be out next week. They just had a whole reveal thingy. The holiday season was last month and COVID impacts the rate and nature of work on a project of this scale.

It also sounds like they're planning on making a change to the patching process so that incremental patches can come out faster (rather than requiring a new download for the client each time, if I'm understanding that correctly).

As someone who frequently plays European titles, I'm well accustomed to a month or 6 week break from European developers. In Sweden, they usually take two big breaks (one in August to enjoy the fleeting warmth, and one at the end of December and January to enjoy the holidays).

The other side of thing is: This game isnt in beta and only getting a polish. Their dev time isnt 100% directed towards taking user feedback and implementing it. It's also actually building out the rest of the game - which if Larian is to believed, is a huge amount of content. Both of these things are happening simultaneously. So when user feedback isnt instantly considered and fixed, it's probably because

A - They're sitting around doing nothing, or B - Their dev time is devoted to the parts of the game still under development. I dont have any hard proof that it isnt A, but I'd be willing to bet they're pretty hard at work.
    JuliusBorisovArviaDinoDin
    Dude, I'm Swedish. And if you're using Paradox as an example, please realise that they write several devlogs each week as a standard.

And nobody expects patches do just drop out. That's why communication is key.
    Sjerrie
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited February 2021
    Okay, I'm about to pull the trigger on a recommended specs computer to play this game. I'd really appreciate feedback from folks that are into gaming rigs.

I need for it also to perform well for video conferencing for business purposes. I'm using a HD 60 fps webcam. 300 mbps download/upload fiber optic connection.

Anyway, this one seems kind of pricey but it does meet the recommended specs for BG3:

HP Envy 2020 Premium Gaming Desktop Computer I

Should I get it? Am I paying too much?

BG3 Recommended System Requirements:
    Processor: Intel i7 4770k / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
    Memory: 16 GB RAM
    Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / AMD RX580
    DirectX: Version 11
    Storage: 150 GB available space
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Lemernis The higher the specs you can buy, the least often you'll need to replace a computer. This HP has an excellent configuration.
    JuliusBorisovLemernis
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 107
    edited February 2021
    @Lemernis Funny timing as I'm just coming out of my lurking hibernation ...

The other day I saw this deal for an HP direct from the HP website. Configured as shown on this website (scroll down to the bottom of the page) plus an additional 1 TB secondary storage drive, I get a total of $1,385. This HP has a GTX 3070 GPU, which should be more capable than the GTX 1660. The only potential negative is that this HP has an i5 instead of an i7 and 16GB of ram instead of 32GB, but I think those are relatively negligible downsides. The i5 in this model is also more powerful than the recommended i7 from the BG3 specs (the i7 4770k is years old by now).

Deal/configuration info

Direct HP link

I also saw a couple of models at Best Buy with GTX 2070 Super GPUs. Between the two Best Buy models, I'd lean to the MSI for the newer processor.

Best Buy - MSI - $1,400

Best Buy - ASUS - $1,450

Just my two cents. The HP you linked isn't bad by any means; I just think there are are more "future-proof" options for the money.
    mlneveseLemernis
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I don't think the issues with Baldur's Gate 3 have anything to do with Larian not understanding how 5E "works". It has everything to do with the fact that they're making a video game and not running a year-long tabletop campaign of the same content.
    BallpointManArvia
    Like for example?
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    @Lemernis, my two cents:
    Try to get the best graphics card you can afford. And be sure it has minimum 4 GB memory, 6 GB would especially good. 16 GB RAM is sufficient for now, but if you can up that to 32 cheap, do it. And try to get an SSD for your drive.
    mlneveseSjerrie
    I think 32gb may be too much for now. But it's a good way to prepare the machine for what is coming.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited February 2021
    mlnevese wrote: »
    @Lemernis The higher the specs you can buy, the least often you'll need to replace a computer. This HP has an excellent configuration.

B) This is encouraging!
    @Lemernis Funny timing as I'm just coming out of my lurking hibernation ...

The other day I saw this deal for an HP direct from the HP website. Configured as shown on this website (scroll down to the bottom of the page) plus an additional 1 TB secondary storage drive, I get a total of $1,385. This HP has a GTX 3070 GPU, which should be more capable than the GTX 1660. The only potential negative is that this HP has an i5 instead of an i7 and 16GB of ram instead of 32GB, but I think those are relatively negligible downsides. The i5 in this model is also more powerful than the recommended i7 from the BG3 specs (the i7 4770k is years old by now).

Deal/configuration info

Direct HP link

I also saw a couple of models at Best Buy with GTX 2070 Super GPUs. Between the two Best Buy models, I'd lean to the MSI for the newer processor.

Best Buy - MSI - $1,400

Best Buy - ASUS - $1,450

Just my two cents. The HP you linked isn't bad by any means; I just think there are are more "future-proof" options for the money.

Thank you! Honestly, I'm cool with paying about $100 more for 32GB RAM and i7.
    kanisatha wrote: »
    @Lemernis, my two cents:
    Try to get the best graphics card you can afford. And be sure it has minimum 4 GB memory, 6 GB would especially good. 16 GB RAM is sufficient for now, but if you can up that to 32 cheap, do it. And try to get an SSD for your drive.

You guys are helping me feel better about this purchase. I really just need it to a) first and foremost excel at videoconferencing, which is essential b) effortlessly run BG3 at excellent performance. I don't anticipate playing games beyond BG3 for the foreseeable future. I'll be lucky if I have the time to play BG3 tbh.

HP Envy 2020 Premium Gaming Desktop Computer I 10th Gen Intel 8-Core i7-10700F I 32GB DDR4</font> 512GB SSD + 1TB HDD I GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB USB-C DisplayPort WiFi DVD-RW Win 10 + Delca HDMI Cable

About this item
    【Upgraded Powerful Storage】: 32GB DDR4 SDRAM Memory, 512GB Solid State Drive + 1TB HDD. Box will be opened for memory or storage upgrade. Upgraded parts will be covered a 1-year warranty by Delca Electronics and original components will be covered a 1-year warranty by manufacturer
    【HP Envy Gaming Desktop i7】: 10th Gen Intel 8-Core i7-10700F (Base Clock 2.9GHz, Max Boost Clock Up to 4.3GHz, 16MB Smart Cache)
    【Strong Graphics】 : Dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB
    【External Ports and Slots】: 4 × USB-A 3.1, 1 x USB-C 3.1, 4 x USB 2.0, 1 × HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort, 1 x DVI-D, 1 x RJ-45, 1 × headphone/microphone combo, 1 x 3-in-1 memory card reader, 1 x DVD-RW
    【Operating System】 : Windows 10 Home (64-bit), Wi-Fi5 (802.11ac 2x2) + Bluetooth 5.0, Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, Accessory Including a Delca HDMI Cable

I think I'm gonna go ahead pull the trigger on the model I posted the link for... You guys are the best I really appreciate your input on this!
    mlnevesekanisatha
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,567
    Point 1 is absurd. Specifically the idea that some issues will never fixed simply because they havent been already. Larian has made plenty of fixes already, and it's reasonable to assume the most glaring issues will be addressed before the game comes out of EA (They've already fixed other major issues, and we have no release date).

Just like to add here that Larian has earned the benefit of the doubt. There is a reason their two previous titles in this subgenre are praised about as universally as any video game gets right now. They've shown a dogged willingness to smooth out issues in their games in the recent past.

Also just going to add that you're doing some solid yeoman's work of dispelling some of the, imo, unwarranted criticisms.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I assume its still a level 4 cap?
    They didn't mention any change in that so I believe so. Of course, there are mods for that already.
    JuliusBorisovelminster
    I've been thinking about the path-finding problem and I see two possible solutions.

1) They fix it so that your characters avoid hazards

2) They go XCom style and show in the path the points where your character will cross hazards.

Now in XCom it's vital sometimes to take one of your units to cover and fire/poison, etc. will damage it less than being hit by an alien energy weapon, so it makes sense to allow the shortest route EVEN if it will damage your soldier a little. Even then the game will give you a visual warning. I'm not entirely convinced D&D combat needs this kind of option but if the path-finding keeps taking you through hazards you should have some kind of visual feedback before moving.
    JuliusBorisovSjerrie
    jtm4qhtqrvgf.png
    mrhur3pz27j1.png
    46dzm0pgwmf4.png
    75cs4t4tol4j.png

A few more screenshots to show the graphic improvements. What you can't see is that the game no longer draws complex scenarios layer by layer, for instance.
    JuliusBorisovSkatanMirandelArvia