Skip to content

Patch 2.6 Launches Today!

Comments

• PadentonPadenton Member Posts: 48
    I'm glad there's a new update, but, for those of us playing on Steam with mods installed, is there a way to prevent the updating to 2.6 in order to keep our modded installation working while we finish? I'm currently in Chap 6 of BG2 of a BG1+SoD+BG2+ToB playthrough.

I see there's a 2.5 branch in the betas list that was updated 3 days ago, but not sure if that's an old beta version of the 2.5 patch that no one bothered to clean up, or if it's the final version of 2.5 that I can use for these purposes.

I have my files from my install backed up because I knew the patch was on its way out soon, but I'd like to play it with steam integration if I can.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2021
    Padenton wrote: »
    I'm glad there's a new update, but, for those of us playing on Steam with mods installed, is there a way to prevent the updating to 2.6 in order to keep our modded installation working while we finish? I'm currently in Chap 6 of BG2 of a BG1+SoD+BG2+ToB playthrough.

I see there's a 2.5 branch in the betas list that was updated 3 days ago, but not sure if that's an old beta version of the 2.5 patch that no one bothered to clean up, or if it's the final version of 2.5 that I can use for these purposes.

I have my files from my install backed up because I knew the patch was on its way out soon, but I'd like to play it with steam integration if I can.

As far as I've understood, the 2.5 version has been left there as a beta on purpose, so that people can continue to use it. I think even the 1.3 version is still there.

So, yes, Steam will auto update to 2.6, but if you choose the 2.5 beta, you can continue with your modded setup there. You might need to reinstall the mods if the update was already installed, though.
    JuliusBorisovPadentonAerakar
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
    It was left in order to give users with 32-bit systems a way to play our games.

This is pure awesomeness. Mad respect.
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrAerakarbleusteel
  • fortysevenfortyseven Member Posts: 96
    I apologise if this has been asked by others, but are there any new externalisations from the hardcoded elements of the game with 2.6? Couldn't spot any in the patch notes and I know quite a few have been promised and hinted at over the years so would be sad if there weren't any this time round.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    fortyseven wrote: »
    I apologise if this has been asked by others, but are there any new externalisations from the hardcoded elements of the game with 2.6? Couldn't spot any in the patch notes and I know quite a few have been promised and hinted at over the years so would be sad if there weren't any this time round.

There are a couple new flags and parameters available for selected effect opcodes and a few new fields in the projectile file format. More details can be found in this post.
    StummvonBordwehrfortysevenJuliusBorisovsuy
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited April 2021
    I am super happy that the patch 2.6 finally saw the light. Italian players can now enjoy our translation.
    Thanks a lot, Beamdog!
    Allanon81JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrArvia
  • fortysevenfortyseven Member Posts: 96
    argent77 wrote: »
    There are a couple new flags and parameters available for selected effect opcodes and a few new fields in the projectile file format. More details can be found in this post.

Thank you for sharing. Unfortunately, this is somewhat meagre. I can't say I'm not disappointed. I understand 2.6's major achievement is the porting to 64bit. Hopefully 2.7, if we ever get there, will take a more thorough look at modability.

Allanon81
  • AltairAltair Member Posts: 128
    edited April 2021
    Congrats on the new patch!
    Post edited by Altair on
    AedanJuliusBorisovBaptor
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    Can someone tell me why GoG is not updating my BG? I'm running it on MacBook. I have autoupdate turned ON, I tried "Check for updates" - didn't work either. Help!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Sikorsky wrote: »
    Can someone tell me why GoG is not updating my BG? I'm running it on MacBook. I have autoupdate turned ON, I tried "Check for updates" - didn't work either. Help!

The Mac build for GOG still hasn't been submitted - we're working on it, sorry for the delay.
    SikorskyMonotremataBaptor
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    So that's the reason, thank you @JuliusBorisov
    BaptorJuliusBorisov
  • valamyrvalamyr Member Posts: 130
    Even though it feels like we waited a few years more than we should have for this one, I'm glad to see it out!
    JuliusBorisov
  • LiefLief Member Posts: 2
    We haven't announced any patches for PST:EE but we hear you.

You know that italian player are still waiting for Beamdog to implement the italian translation of PST:EE made by Gli Allegri Buffoni. The translation was completed one year ago Aedan can tell you more.

We waited for a long time and for that reason you lost a lot of sales (I will not buy SoD for example because of that).
    I want to be sure that your next patch of PST:EE include italian translation.
    Aedan wrote: »
    I am super happy that the patch 2.6 finally saw the light. Italian players can now enjoy our translation.
    Thanks a lot, Beamdog!

Why don't ask them here to integrate the PST:EE translation made by your team?
    I mean ok they integrated the italian translation of SoD that was ready months ago (not sure why thank them since it was made for free by your team and it was already working with a workaround)... but most people are waiting for the italian translation of Planescape Torment that was ready before that (by the way, why don't release it with the same workaround?).
    gsalerno
    Lief wrote: »

Because they already know that, Julius included. I have been in touch with Beamdog on this topic for a very long time (one year and a half, I guess?). There is no point in posting that request here. It adds no value to our discussion.
    (by the way, why don't release it with the same workaround?).

Because the situation is quite different. I stated that several time on our official Facebook page.
    SOD italian localization was implemented in Beamdog's translation tool, so we were able to test it with the right format and it was "just" a matter of waiting for the official integration.
    PST italian localization has not implemented in Beamdog's translation tool yet, so we are not even able to test it or release it with the temporary workaround we used for SOD.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Aedan wrote: »

Because they already know that, Julius included. I have been in touch with Beamdog on this topic for a very long time (one year and a half, I guess?). There is no point in posting that request here. It adds no value to our discussion.
    (by the way, why don't release it with the same workaround?).

Because the situation is quite different. I stated that several time on our official Facebook page.
    SOD italian localization was implemented in Beamdog's translation tool, so we were able to test it with the right format and it was "just" a matter of waiting for the official integration.
    PST italian localization has not implemented in Beamdog's translation tool yet, so we are not even able to test it or release it with the temporary workaround we used for SOD.

Basically, adding to what @Aedan said, Beamdog's translation tool is able to export all dialogues in .dlg format, which then can be easily transformed to a simple WeiDU mod that adds all its content into the game. I'm guessing PSTEE translation was done in a simple sheet or txt file, which cannot be transformed into a mod easily (or at all).
    Aedan
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @Aedan If you have the translation in some kind of text file where the text and its associated number in the tlk file are present, it is fairly easy to build a mod. For instance, it's not very difficult to switch from the Translation tool csv format to tra format. Personnaly I used a set of search and replace in notepad++ to do that. Then it's rather easy to build a tp2 file to install the texts in game. I have a small setup (that uses WeiDU) to do that. I used this to build the french translation mod for BG2EE several years ago.
    I also know a tool written by a modder who maintains a text fixpack that can build a tp2 file from a tra file.
  • LiefLief Member Posts: 2
    Maybe my post wasn't entirely useless. If, as @Isaya writes, there are already tools that make it easy to implement the translation as a mod, maybe you could start testing sooner (since it is ready).
    In the meantime, @JuliusBorisov you have read our messages, maybe you could speed up the implementation a little bit (maybe even let him use the Beamdog's translation tool, you know it's already more than one year) ... we are all waiting for the Planescape translation here and I can't be happy for SoD until the masterpiece called PST remains in that condition.
    @Isaya
    Thanks.
    The problem here is that the translation needs to be tested by our team and that solution is not scalable at all. We tried something similar, but then managing the typos reporting and fixing is just a mess.
    The official translation tool is the best solution, as anyone can get access to it and report typo in a structured way, which is essential (at least for me) to run a proper testing.

@Lief
    The good Julius did his best till today to bring this topic to the attention of the developer.
    There is more than meets the eye here ;)
    JuliusBorisovDoubledimasLief
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    edited April 2021
    Isaya wrote: »

Hey Isaya, with regards to the french translation issues, is there any global coordination ongoing from French community (LC2C ?) to identify the "You / Tu / Vous" issues from the new 2.6 BG2 Translation ?
    Post edited by Aranthys on
    Mera
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    Cheers for the patch!
    Resurrecting myself just to give you some love :smiley:
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The Mac build should now be available on GOG!
    hook71AndreaColombo
  • MonotremataMonotremata Member Posts: 78

Rad, started updating about 5 seconds after Galaxy finally finished loading up on my Mac mini! Now to hurry up and finish off my 2 year old SoD run so I can move on to BG2 and finally finish it after almost 20 years hah.
    Allanon81StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
  • denisdpsdenisdps Member Posts: 2

@JuliusBorisov any update on the Mac App Store front?
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 326
    No word on IWD:EE iOS allowing access to folders?
  • AvengerNX09AvengerNX09 Member Posts: 10
    Are there any news on the iOS version of the update?
    Allanon81
    edited April 2021
    Hey all! All mobile questions will be answered in due time. We still plan to have a proper beta-testing period for the mobile builds.
    denisdps wrote: »

@JuliusBorisov any update on the Mac App Store front?

The Mac App Store update is actually going to take some time. According to the Apple requirements, all the store text needs translations. So our tentative guess is not until the 2.6 mobile. Thanks for your understanding!
    Allanon81AedanAerakar
  • tsvladtsvlad Member Posts: 1
    Hey @JuliusBorisov sorry i'm likely being too picky, but 2.6 versions from GOG are not packed as .app for mac (like Planescape), they're just folders with data, also BG2 seems to have same icon, as BG1
    could this change once mac app store release happens?
    JuliusBorisov
  • cha0z_cha0z_ Member Posts: 27
    Not tomorrow. We still need to arrange a beta of mobile builds. Bear with us regarding the mobile versions.

The update is coming to GOG hopefully today (it was night for GOG when the release happened).

We haven't announced any patches for PST:EE but we hear you.

Typos and the like - we use the latest version of strings on the Translation site, for the date the build is being created.

Will it be possible to take part in TestFlight beta builds of 2.6 on iOS?

We'll post the sign-up form when we're ready.

When you reach that part, I will signup + start a new run on all of them to check for bugs/provide feedback (iphone 11 pro max running latest ios).
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr