Skip to content

[Mod in progress] Skyfire – Modification for Baldur’s Gate II

Comments

• EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @Acifer
    Regarding what assets are allowed to be used by the community, ensure you clearly mention which ones can legally be used, how, and why!

Argent77's Trials of the Luremaster in EET is an example of EXP modifications for an adventure area.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    Endarire wrote: »
    @Acifer
    Regarding what assets are allowed to be used by the community, ensure you clearly mention which ones can legally be used, how, and why!
    Easiest way to ensure this is to specify an according license for the mod.
    @Acifer now I want to play the mod even more and experience the new monsters/creatures!
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    This looks very impressive!
  • lollerslollers Member Posts: 190
    I'm very interested.
    I am wondering if the airship itself is going to be one of the new areas? Like a sort of base camp for the party. I find the idea of base camps appealing because it means that even the people who aren't on adventures with you are still with you in a manner of speaking, and that is a convienent way of making everyone available and included somewhat in the story.
    @Acifer
    +1 to the idea set forth by @lollers.
    @lollers your idea might conflict with the travel system @Acifer is using depenent on how it is done technically. Plus, making it the same intereor for all destinations would need some variable+script magic so it can be entered and left from all destinations (it would be doable, but needs some effort).
    edited September 2021
    I should probably wait and find out when the time comes, but I'm not sure what could be meant by the "new travel system by airship" point. I have seen enough games to know that a system like that is one of the first decisions made so that the story stuff can be written around it, so I understand if it can't be described at all. I can't really imagine BG1 with the pocket plane system, or dark souls without the bonfire system.
  • AciferAcifer Member Posts: 153
    lollers wrote: »
    I should probably wait and find out when the time comes, but I'm not sure what could be meant by the "new travel system by airship" point.
    You can only reach the new areas of the mod by the use of this airship. You get on at Waukeen's Promenade, determine the destination, and get off at your destination area.
    The areas are spread across southern Faerun, so there is no way to reach them using the regular worldmap. The mod won't change any existing travel system.
    For future mods, the use of the airship could offer a great opportunity to explore really far-flung areas - Maztica, Chult or the Moonshae Isles for example. :)
    lollers wrote: »
    I am wondering if the airship itself is going to be one of the new areas? Like a sort of base camp for the party. I find the idea of base camps appealing because it means that even the people who aren't on adventures with you are still with you in a manner of speaking, and that is a convienent way of making everyone available and included somewhat in the story.
    That's a good point. As @jastey mentioned, it might be too difficult to include a full base camp.
    However, your idea of having some people travel with you is intriguing, so I'll try to include two non-joinable NPCs that will act as a support team (a cleric and a merchant).
    @Acifer
    This reminds me of Final Fantasy VI's airship (the Blackjack) which had an on-board healer and merchant! It also had some sort of flight crew to mimic being part of a crew and not just a flying base for the party.
    edited September 2021
    @Acifer
    Another seemingly simple request: For at least one mission, I want to be able to jump off he airship and land at our destination, being saved from damage via feather fall. Even if mechanically it's simply teleporting us to a new area, I want to be able to honestly say, "I cast feather fall in Baldur's Gate II and jumped off an airship!" (|=^)

(Throne of Bhaal sorta does this with water breathing and going underwater/screen transitioning/teleporting to certain areas.)
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @Acifer
    Another seemingly simple request: For at least one mission, I want to be able to jump off he airship and land at our destination, being saved from damage via feather fall. Even if mechanically it's simply teleporting us to a new area, I want to be able to honestly say, "I cast feather fall in Baldur's Gate II and jumped off an airship!" (|=^)

(Throne of Bhaal sorta does this with water breathing and going underwater/screen transitioning/teleporting to certain areas.)

Seriously? I mean, SERIOUSLY?
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,354
    @Endarire
    The idea sounds awesome. In the old Eye of the beholder games, there where rings of feather fall - and you had use for them.

But perhaps the idea does require more than a little work. And I think consensus amongst the other modders where, that Acifer already has some very cool (and sufficient) ideas for an awesome mod - but now only needed time to make them materialise. So perhaps time has come to give Acifer just what he needs: time.

@Acifer
    This forum is brimming with good ideas. If you ever need some new ideas, feel free to reach out - we will be happy to help you.

And if you need help to place 5-8 tomes or manuals for some juicy OP loot, you can PM me directly. I’d be happy to help you with that.
    I took @Endarire 's suggestion to be tongue-in-cheek, and thought it to be quite funny.
  • Seth_DivineSeth_Divine Member Posts: 16
    Do it like Shadow over Mystara. Airship gets attacked while airborne and needs defending. Muahahahaha. P:)
  • tl1942tl1942 Member Posts: 178
    @acifer where can we find your other mods? I'm really interested in your work! :)
    @Acifer @jastey
    I was totally serious about using feather fall to parachute like that!

+1 to defending your airship mid-flight!
    edited September 2021
    I was totally serious about using feather fall to parachute like that!
    I really hope that the possibility to jump into that deep chasm in Ravimor's Cave straight into the Underdark (as shown above) will be an acceptable alternative. ;)
    tl1942 wrote: »
    where can we find your other mods? I'm really interested in your work! :)
    Thank you for your interest! I will announce the aforementioned mod soon as well.

@Acifer
    You could have the cursed parachute have the party simply return to the airship so they can jump off again. That seems like a simple, pleasant alternative!
    edited September 2021
    @Acifer
    Since this seems to be the place for it, and I find the idea amusing, let players purchase private islands for their parties. Developing them with mechanical effects is optional. This is mostly for the vanity or prestige of having such islands. (The current strongholds are also sort of this way.)

(You TOO can invest in fictional real estate!)
    I say you give the Airship a Zaratan-farts fueled engine. Muahahahha. P:)
    Definitely! Beware of Calim’s breath in Dashadjen and Memnon’s crackle in Memnonnar! But maybe it's just the smell of Boo’s fur because he came too close to the Great Brass Gate? :D

From who or where do all these strange words come from? I feel like I should recognize them from somewhere and they seem like lore references.
    What's the Progress on this one Acifer? HNY to all. :)
    I too am curious to know what's happening with this mod! @Acifer, you can do it! Alleluia!
    edited December 2021
    The Mod is doing fine. :)
    I am busy debugging another, soon-to-be-announced modification of mine at the moment, so I'm taking a short break from Skyfire as I switched to this other project for a couple of weeks. Once the other project is in a stable state (depending on feedback from the closed beta testers), I will return to Skyfire and post an update.