Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

[Mod in progress] Skyfire – Modification for Baldur’s Gate II

AciferAcifer Member Posts: 62
edited August 11 in BGII:EE Mods
Skyfire – Modification for Baldur’s Gate II

The time of the Genies in southern Faerun seems to be long gone. But there are rumors that their spirits are still there, trapped in an ancient artifact and eagerly waiting to be freed by the fulfillment of an ancient prophecy. Will you be able to reverse the prophecy and save the Lands of Intrigue from a second Era of Skyfire?

About the mod:
Skyfire is a quest modification for Baldur’s Gate II (both the Vanilla and the Enhanced Edition). It adds a new adventure to the SoA part of the trilogy and will be accessible right from the beginning of the game.

Trailer:


Screenshots:
zptx48jhxntz.jpg
7pgdnthaqo60.jpg
lrg4cisr8eq3.jpg
mlwkd7m6ld4z.jpg
o8dipsyzen6y.jpg
zd25egfh3j9g.jpg



Features:
• A new, epic storyline based on the rich history of the Lands of Intrigue
• more than 50 new designed areas – explore the Calim desert, the Mythal-cloaked city of Myth Rhynn, the vast Spiderswamp, a frozen island and many other famous or infamous places in southern Faerun
• New monsters like the Will-O-Wisp, Orglash, Vrock and Slaad will try to make life miserable for your party
• New unique items
• A new travel system using the airship in Waukeen’s promenade
• Many opportunities for in-depth role-playing for experienced players

Current state of the project:
• About 80% of the modification is finished
• All area graphics are done
• At the moment I am fleshing out the quest lines, the main quest will soon be ready to play in Vanilla BG2
• Once Beta testing of the German version (my native language) will be done, I will switch to the English version (and might need a lot of help translating the whole project).
• Why am I announcing this? Because I might need help, ask Enhanced Edition-specific questions and would generally be happy about suggestions and feedback.


More Screenshots: https://www.deviantart.com/aciferbg/gallery/79435070/skyfire
Many thanks to @Isewein for helping me with the trailer and to Maus, Lumorus, Taimon, Morywen and @jastey for help and ideas
Skyfire is a fan-made, free, non-commercial modification for Baldur's Gate 2.

Post edited by Acifer on
skusharonaldoilduderinoCahirjasteySharGuidesMyHandLavaDelVortelDoubledimasStummvonBordwehrenergisedcamelmemorymegamike15BrokenkatanaThrasymachusOlvynChuruMantis37JamesStAnthonyPermidion_StarkbonewhitegloryIseweinGalactygonShinLudwig_IIelminstertl1942Timbo0o0o0GorionixZaghoulinethSanctifer
«1

Comments

  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,791
    Holy crap, is it for real?! I smell Calim and Memnon here:) This is looking great already.

    StummvonBordwehrAciferIsewein
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,039
    Great! :) Can't wait to see it released! :)

    StummvonBordwehrAciferIsewein
  • energisedcamelenergisedcamel Member Posts: 105
    This looks insane! I can't wait to give it a try.

    Acifer
  • ShirakShirak Member Posts: 64
    Holy Crap!!! This looks really epic! Looking forward to it!!

    AciferStummvonBordwehr
  • AWizardDidItAWizardDidIt Member Posts: 165
    Wow this looks so cool!! Those area graphics are slick, amazing work. I can't wait.

    StummvonBordwehrIseweinAcifer
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 786
    edited August 12
    @Acifer
    Alleluia!

    My top requests for you at the moment concerning this mod:

    #1: Release it!

    #2: Make it EET (Enhanced Edition Trilogy) compatible (and Worldmap mod compatible) from its first public release! (Since you're also making this non-EE compatible, also add Baldur's Gate Trilogy compatibility for those who use that.)

    #3: Talk with whomever is maintaining Sword Coast Stratagems AKA SCS so the new creatures have their AI improved as prudent.

    #4: Add all creatures from the Temple of Elemental Evil module not already in EET. (This is an aside and a lower priority than releasing this as EET compatible.) I much want a ToEE-in-EET one day and having these creatures available would help! (Notably, that includes Bodas, Lamias, Crystal Oozes, Gargoyles/Aquatic Gargoyles (Kapoacinths), Hags/Sea Hags, Aquatic Umber Hulks (Vodyanoi), Aquatic Beholders (Eyes of the Deep), Aquatic Ogres (Merrow), Water Elementals that look Humanoidal, Giant Lizards (quadrupedal), Lizardfolk, Hezrou, Snakes (serpentine)/Fire Snakes, Giant Frogs/Fire Toads, and Ghosts.) Mentioning this mod adds Vrocks and Wisps inspired me to request these other creatures which are also in ToEE.

    #5: Once your mod is released, talk with jastey about making it a [url=https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/forum/71-infinity-engine-modding-news/Gibberlings3 news release[/url] because it's worth broadcasting and adding to the EET mod compatibility list to aid in its discoverability!

    Finally, THANK YE for telling us! We'll thank you more once we've assimilated it into our EET installs! (I like the new background art!)

    PS: Someone should hire you for the the trailer work alone!

    Post edited by Endarire on
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 786
    @Acifer
    Talk with @Austin87 on Beamdog (Austin on Gibberlings3) about a Russian translation due his fondness for translating mods into Russian.

  • Austin87Austin87 Member Posts: 150
    I also look forward to this mod and wish you success in working on it! The description sounds very interesting! :) Thanks for your work!

    P.S. Regarding the Russian translation, some users of our forum have already said that they will be happy to participate in its translation when the mod is released.

    StummvonBordwehrAciferCahirIsewein
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 420
    Have you given any thought to balancing? What portion of the game are the mod quests geared to be undertaken at? I would personally hope for ToB because SoA is stacked with content as it is. Some ToB story tie-ins would be brilliant!

    StummvonBordwehrAcifer
  • mledmled Member Posts: 16
    Using the airship from Waukeen's Promenade probably means SoA...

  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 420
    I see, that makes sense. I just hope you will set it up so that doing the quests in Chapter VI will feel seamless both in terms of story and challenge. I really cannot fathom any more procrastinating quests in Chapter II.

  • tangelo1023tangelo1023 Member Posts: 6
    The artwork is beautiful. Some of the best I've ever seen in a IE game. Reminds me more of Pillars.

    AciferIsewein
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 786
    @Acifer
    I requested the creatures to be included to be included because I thought you had some custom modelers on your team who were making these creature models instead of importing them from NWN, which has some of the requested creatures. For example, NWN lacks Lamias but has Bodaks.

    Regarding visiting areas later, Siege of Dragonspear normally doesn't allow returning to areas once the party is done with them, yet EET keeps them accessible via the world map for the rest of the game for the sake of players who want that, regardless of how much in character sense it makes. Consider that approach also for Skyfire.

    Thankee!

    Acifer
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,791
    Guys, Acifer did assure his mod will be compatible with EET (and BGT for that matter) from the get-go, just few posts above.

    BrokenkatanaAcifer
  • AciferAcifer Member Posts: 62
    edited August 15
    Isewein wrote: »
    I just hope you will set it up so that doing the quests in Chapter VI will feel seamless both in terms of story and challenge.
    Don't worry, there will be as much player agency as possible. You may start the adventure within SoA whenever you want. I personally really hate being railroaded or getting rid of choices, so I try to avoid it whenever possible.
    Difficulty will progress according to party level. This should be subject of beta-testing.
    The story will unfold regardless of SoA's main plot. My quest characters don't mind about your heritage or who you are, they're only interested in what you do, and there's no super villain breathing down your neck.
    However, there will be some tie-ins to the story of BG2, as some of the power groups involved connect to existing ones.
    Endarire wrote: »
    I requested the creatures to be included to be included because I thought you had some custom modelers on your team who were making these creature models
    I see, thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately this is a one-man project. As I lack strong character modeling and animation skills, I have to rely on existing NWN models.
    Endarire wrote: »
    Regarding visiting areas later, Siege of Dragonspear normally doesn't allow returning to areas once the party is done with them, yet EET keeps them accessible via the world map for the rest of the game for the sake of players who want that, regardless of how much in character sense it makes. Consider that approach also for Skyfire.
    The mod will be playable as long as you have access to Waukeen's Promenade so I think there will be no incompability with EET. The only thing I can't promise is to implement specific ToB content.

    Thanks @Cahir for your support and to all of you for the kind words!

    StummvonBordwehrIsewein
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,791
    Acifer wrote: »
    I see, thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately this is a one-man project. As I lack strong character modeling and animation skills, I have to rely on existing NWN models.

    This is simply unbelievable, I really thought you have had at least some help. Have you ever considered inviting other modders to the project? Granted, I don't think there are many active modders with modelling and animation skills, but maybe there is one or two who could help.

    AciferIsewein
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 786
    @Acifer
    The only modder I know of off-hand who's done any seemingly relevant graphics-related modding for BG is Gamemacik on Spellhold Studios, who has done some custom Fairy Dragon BAMs. bob_veng on G3 has also done scroll icons and background maps and maybe more.

    Enjoy!

    Acifer
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,032
    @Acifer
    I would also like to add my admiration for your mod and plans for it. It looks awesome, and it’s very
    much in line with other great mods that comes to life in these years.
    The modding community is reallly looking alive and kicking at the moment. So thank you and the all the modders (many of you present in this thread already) who gives us so much - it’s much appreciated <3.

    By the way it looks, the mod is going to be awesome, so dont take suggestions or advice as a critique - people are just hoping that the mod comes to be, and will not end up as a wonderful “could have been” (there are a few of these, that we still hope for).

    So do as you please, and if you ever need help, there is a vibrant and helpful community you can count on - so dont hesitate to ask if you need help.
    I will leave you and your work so far with the best wishes and hope it comes to be.

    Br

    AciferIseweinenergisedcamel
  • AciferAcifer Member Posts: 62
    people are just hoping that the mod comes to be, and will not end up as a wonderful “could have been” (there are a few of these, that we still hope for).
    Yes, sad but true. I have also witnessed countless ambitious projects and announcements that ended up as modding carcasses. This is the reason why I decided to wait with the announcement until I have something (hopefully) convincing and playable to offer.
    Thank you for the kind words!
    Cahir wrote: »
    This is simply unbelievable, I really thought you have had at least some help.
    While most of the stuff was done by myself, I should emphasize that I did not create every single model or texture on my own. I used some licensed meshes and textures to bring these areas fully to life.
    Cahir wrote: »
    Have you ever considered inviting other modders to the project? Granted, I don't think there are many active modders with modelling and animation skills, but maybe there is one or two who could help.
    The graphical aspects of my mods should be finished by now, so I shouldn't need any help with that at the moment.
    BUT, as my programming skills are average at best, coding takes more time and efforts than I am comfortable with. So the final (and hardest) 20% of the mod - especially side quests and enemy ai - are progressing at a steady, but slow pace. If people with strong programming skills are willing to help me, I would be more than grateful to share this project with a growing team of dedicated modders! :)

    IseweinStummvonBordwehr
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,791
    @Acifer if I could suggest something, it wouldn't be a bad idead to post about Skyfire also on G3. There are a lot of skillful modders active on G3, some of them not present here. I'm sure you'll find modders that will be more than happy to lend a hand, here or on G3 :)

    AciferStummvonBordwehrIsewein
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 786
    @Acifer
    +1 to @Cahir's suggestion. The Gibberlings3 Forum has many modders and mod enthusiasts. It seemingly has the highest concentration of active modders for Infinity Engine games, including veteran modders I mentioned above.

    Acifer
  • tl1942tl1942 Member Posts: 169
    edited August 26
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This looks AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Outstanding work, REALLY looking forward to the release!

    BTW, I agree with everything Endarire says below (I would also say that an XP tweak component should be added, where we can choose the desired XP multiplier, from e.g. 10%-100% or something):
    Endarire wrote: »
    My top requests for you at the moment concerning this mod:

    #1: Release it!

    #2: Make it EET (Enhanced Edition Trilogy) compatible (and Worldmap mod compatible) from its first public release! (Since you're also making this non-EE compatible, also add Baldur's Gate Trilogy compatibility for those who use that.)

    #3: Talk with whomever is maintaining Sword Coast Stratagems AKA SCS so the new creatures have their AI improved as prudent.

    #4: Add all creatures from the Temple of Elemental Evil module not already in EET. (This is an aside and a lower priority than releasing this as EET compatible.) I much want a ToEE-in-EET one day and having these creatures available would help! (Notably, that includes Bodas, Lamias, Crystal Oozes, Gargoyles/Aquatic Gargoyles (Kapoacinths), Hags/Sea Hags, Aquatic Umber Hulks (Vodyanoi), Aquatic Beholders (Eyes of the Deep), Aquatic Ogres (Merrow), Water Elementals that look Humanoidal, Giant Lizards (quadrupedal), Lizardfolk, Hezrou, Snakes (serpentine)/Fire Snakes, Giant Frogs/Fire Toads, and Ghosts.) Mentioning this mod adds Vrocks and Wisps inspired me to request these other creatures which are also in ToEE.

    #5: Once your mod is released, talk with jastey about making it a [url=https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/forum/71-infinity-engine-modding-news/Gibberlings3 news release[/url] because it's worth broadcasting and adding to the EET mod compatibility list to aid in its discoverability!

    Finally, THANK YE for telling us! We'll thank you more once we've assimilated it into our EET installs! (I like the new background art!)

    PS: Someone should hire you for the the trailer work alone!

    Acifer
  • Seth_DivineSeth_Divine Member Posts: 11
    Congrats in advance for the masterpiece you're creatin'. It's gonna be epic. Sincerely thank you. :)

    tl1942Acifer
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 786
    @Acifer
    For the new (ported from NWN:EE) creatures, as well as new assets for this module, I would like these to be permitted for the community to use so we can have further community member-made adventures in the Lands of Intrigue. This is not a decision that needs to be made right away, but is helpful if you make it sooner.

    @tl1942
    Thankee for your agreement! That was a pleasant surprise!

    Thankee!

    Acifer
Sign In or Register to comment.