Skip to content

[Mods] Awesome Soundsets Mods Master Thread. Custom Soundsets for BGEE, BG2EE and IWDEE

1101112131416»

Comments

• EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @JediMindTrix
    Does your newest version also work on 2.5 EET?

Thankee!
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    Endarire wrote: »
    @JediMindTrix
    Does your newest version also work on 2.5 EET?

Thankee!

I wouldn't call it a new version. I just jury-rigged a file. But yes it should, and if it doesn't, the one I previously linked to in this thread should work with 2.5 EET
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    @Endarire Installing any of the Awesome Soundsets manually before EET installation works. The reason why Awesome Soundsets never worked past EET installation is because SoD already extended charsnd.2da for the Male/Female 7 and 8 soundsets and these extensions are migrated over along with the respective sets.

@JediMindTrix I haven't checked how you made your hackjob, but that change breaks subtitles and only the Adventures of Neverwinter sets at best and all default voices at worst. Also it does not ensure that the Awesome Soundsets even end up in the proper slots. What you're doing is wrong.
    edited September 2021
    @JediMindTrix I haven't checked how you made your hackjob, but that change breaks subtitles and only the Adventures of Neverwinter sets at best and all default voices at worst. Also it does not ensure that the Awesome Soundsets even end up in the proper slots. What you're doing is wrong.

The only accurate statement in this post is that it breaks subtitles... for s9soundsets only.
    edited September 2021
    Sorry, but you're wrong and I will explain you why.
    I deleted all the extra lines added by patch 2.6. I have no idea what effect that'll have though

I will illustrate what those additional lines do. The following image is CHARNAME using the Adventures of Neverwinter Trent voiceset in BG2, left as vanilla BG2 and right when your edit is applied before the character was created (only showcasing the relevant part).

xQJmvOr.png

CHARSND.2da assigns the subtitles to voices and it allows soundsets to define more actions than what vanilla BG2 exposed for player soundsets. However if a soundset does not define a sound for a particular action (marked as -1), the game will still try to apply the old BG2 suffix-based rule to load it, assuming said slot has a BG2 suffix (not all of them does).

Prior to 2.6, the contents of BG2's CHARSND.2da was more closer to what the game assumed for player soundsets and it was more tied to the classic BG2 a-z/0-9 availability. However 2.6 decided to tie CHARSND.2da's content to the internal array of the game instead which somewhat exposed all actions. This led to a block of previously-unexposed actions (most of these slots were used for BG1's simple bantering system) inserted before some of the debuted-in-BG2 function definitions (the slots assigned to the following suffixes: w; x; y; z; 1; 2; 3; 4; 5; 6; 7, these slots are marked in both coloumns for reference), pushing them down in the list.

Additionally, the 2DA also exposed a bunch of repurposed previously-unused slots to somewhat normalize the possibilities between all three games now, with using 4 slots for BG1's continously-clicking-on-the-portrait-for-annoyed-responses, 4 additional action slots to allow BG1 to be expanded to the IWD/BG2 standard of 7 from it's 3 and 10 other actions from IWD (7th common selection, alternatives to morale failure, becoming leader, being tired/bored/hurt, dying, receiving damage and seeing someone else dying). Since these slots lack legacy suffixes, these slots can only be initialized through CHARSND.2da.

With the above summary and the evidence, we can conclude the following result of your change:

It ends up disabling subtitles on the following actions - because in these cases, the sound is loaded via the legacy suffix function without the subtitle:
    - Character reacting to a party member dying (BG2 and AoN sets)
    - Critical hits (BG2 and AoN sets)
    - Critical misses (BG2 and AoN sets)
    - Target being immune to the character's weapon (BG2 and AoN sets)
    - Character ran out of inventory space (BG2 and AoN sets)
    - Character successfully pickpocketed someone (BG2 and AoN sets)
    - Character successfully hid in shadows (BG2 and AoN sets)
    - Character lost it's spell (BG2 and AoN sets)
    - Character set up a trap (BG2 and AoN sets)
    - Rare voice responses (only used by vanilla BG2 sets)

It also ends up cutting the continuously-clicking-on-the-portrait-for-annoyed-responses feature of the AoN sets (because AoN does not use anything from the IWD-only functionality).

So, sorry, but I was right and maybe your testing wasn't complete enough to notice the issues you caused.
    Hey, that's pretty educational! But if people want to install s9soundsets, they're probably not going to be using AoN or default voices for their main so I still feel perfectly comfortable leaving this file up for people who really want to use s9soundsets for their run, which afaik don't have soundfiles for those deleted lines currently. Thanks!
  • cddscdds Member Posts: 46
    edited September 2021
    Why not simply retire the hackjob and fully migrate to Graion's properly rebuilt versions of these soundsets? IMHO the primary objective of this thread nowadays should be to redirect players to Graion's rebuild
    edited September 2021
    cdds wrote: »
    Why not simply retire the hackjob and fully migrate to Graion's properly rebuilt versions of these soundsets? IMHO the primary objective of this thread nowadays should be to redirect players to Graion's rebuild

I didn't even know this existed. Thanks!
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    I installed The Nameless One (Planescape) soundset to Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition 2.5 (Steam version).

It was succesfuly installed, but in character creation I'm able to notice that one of the sounds has an error, producing loud static instead of any voice. I checked all the files in the folder, and none of them produce that sound. Does anyone knows how to fix this error?
  • Whatever1Whatever1 Member Posts: 17
    Hi, I have a question.

I am trying to revive a party that finished BG1 years ago and that I now want to recreate in BG2EE. All of the 6 party members are custom made, no NPC's. My characters all have a soundset that I download years ago from somewhere. Google leads my to believe that most if not all came from this source:

https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/12588

I still have all the soundset files and adding them to the sounds folder works fine but I'd enjoy having subtitles. Does anyone know if these soundsets were ever subtitled and installable through the mod? If so can someone point me were to find them?
    That's an Elder Scrolls mod which ported BG/PST voicesets over to that game, so I don't think your link is the good one. I haven't touched my soundset mods meaningfully for a while now, but excluding the Monkey Island sets, I've already reconverted all of them from this topic.
  • Whatever1Whatever1 Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2023
    I'm aware that it's a different game. Just mentioning it as the sounds all share that source. Not sure what the origin is.

I've uploaded all the files to my cloud.

Maybe someone can take a look and tell me if any of these have already been subtitled. Possibly under different names. I've looked and compared though but couldn't find them.

They do sound very good though, they really fit BG imo.

Link: https://ln5.sync.com/dl/f9c749c20/f7jg7jzm-rvxd4siv-zbawgzja-a685sn28
  • FrenzgynFrenzgyn Member Posts: 80
    edited January 14
    @Whatever1

Three of the soundset you uploaded (Algernon, Brekke and Rhett) are from Vox populi (Margot K, aka Sorschana, and Clint), a duo that did several collaboration to create custom soundsets back in 2000s.

Looking at the names, hash and date of creation, you have the "original" files, not the ones taken from the Oblivion mod you posted, which ported four of them: Algernon, Brekke, Rhett and Callista, but made a few renaming and "splitting" to create missing ones.

Unfortunately the original website where they were hosted is down since 2015, so most of the packs seems lost.

You can have a look at it with wayback machine and download a few sample (and Algernon and Brekke, stunningly with still functional link) : https://web.archive.org/web/20100627032043/https://www.merrymeet.com/voxpopuli

By the way, I am pretty sure it doesn't exist any mod with subtitles.

Regarding the three you have, I think a mod could be packed with not lot of effort, because there is a (partial?) porting to Neverwinter Nights of the same voiceset with the transcripts already present in the TLK file.
    It is just a very tedious work of copy/paste and renaming.

If you happen to have some other of their original soundset (Scarab, Nigel, Kurts, Theresa, Sorschana, Scarlet, Nathasha, Irlan and Callisto*) it would be great, we could avoid them being lost and forgotten and with a bit of luck "reassemble" them in a working mod for the EEs.

Regarding the other two sets you uploaded:

- "Ringo" is another soundset, but it the first time i hear it, I don't know its origin;
    - "a" is a bit anonymous and it doesn't seem composed of proper .wav files, I still have not figured how to play them.

Surfing the web for this stuff tasted like archeology, I feel a bit of digital archiver :smiley:
    Post edited by Frenzgyn on