Skip to content

Preloading

Comments

• NedzzoNedzzo Member Posts: 19
    So I left mine going overnight (used first link in email, not beamdog client). This morning it looks stuck says "784 MB of 1.3 GB". That was around (maybe even exactly, didn't write it down) what is said when I went to bed. When I check the size of the install folder though, it is 1.34 GB, 749 files and 51 folders. So it looks like I really do have it all. Not 100% sure though, wondering if there is a verify mechanism?
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    Brilliant, @Mortes, I've downloaded twice as much in 10 minutes as in 4 hours with the installer! Will seed.
  • MortesMortes Member Posts: 45
    @Nedzzo You probably really only have those 784MB. Torrent programs usually allocate the full amount of required space just from the start and fill it up with the received data blocks over time. But if your client is stuck at this point, you'll likely have many incomplete files atm.

The easiest thing is to just shut down the client and start it again, you shouldn't loose any progress and it will check the files you already have and should resume your download from that point.

If the client doesn't start again after shuting it down, it's possible that the application process is stuck and still running. To work around this, restarting the PC is the easiest way to solve this (if you know how to use the task manager, you can check if you find the application and shut it down manually instead).
  • GyumaouGyumaou Member Posts: 8
    thanks @Mortes
    getting a steady 2mb/s now and I'll help seed until release.
    Also, someone should make this a global sticky!
    mlnevese
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited November 2012
    I agree. While it doesn't happen, I'm pointing people on other threads to Morte's posting.
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    yay thanks for the torrent stuff, got stuck since some hours in the launcher pre-dl.
  • Out2lunchOut2lunch Member Posts: 57
    Glad ive got 5 days to download this, my broadband is soooo slow...
  • balordikaalebbalordikaaleb Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the torrent...;)
  • micahdt71micahdt71 Member Posts: 3
    I installed deluge to try and download this way. Deluge shows it in the downloading file but it is just sitting there with no progress. When i look at the bandwidth options it shows my max download speed at -1 KiB/s. Do i need to change that?

sorry... this is way beyond my computer knowledge level
  • PretendedPretended Member Posts: 2
    Torrenting indeed worked. Thanks.

So how many more days until it's the 28th ?
  • DaywalkerDaywalker Member Posts: 37
    When i click on the torrent link i just get an empty white webbrowser page :/
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    edited November 2012
    micahdt71 said:

I installed deluge to try and download this way. Deluge shows it in the downloading file but it is just sitting there with no progress. When i look at the bandwidth options it shows my max download speed at -1 KiB/s. Do i need to change that?

sorry... this is way beyond my computer knowledge level

You usually have to open a specific port in your router and have to use the same in your torrent client. Google should give some instant hits but it's also recommend to use a higher port, ie 30000 - cause a lot of ISPs throttle torrent speed. (or some specific/common ports)
    Dunno about Deluge, since it's ages ago that I was using it, but it's always the same precedure...open port in router and so on ...

[edit: -1 == unlimited download, just leave it]

• NedzzoNedzzo Member Posts: 19
    @Mortes RIght after I posted I started task manager to see if it was frozen. It wasn't but when I looked at the window again it said preload complete. So I guess it was a display issue. Looking at the date and time of the files, I think it was done last night.
    I rebooted and to be safe followed your advice and ran the installer again, it checked and said preload complete. So I am good to go.
    I wonder why they left 500 MB to go on launch day? Still working on tons of code? Maybe what we got is just the art, music etc? Seems like it will still be a big bottleneck on lauch.

Thanks.
    Mortes
    @Daywalker You need to log in on the Beamdog website before you can download the file.

@micahdt71 It's likely due to your (Windows) firewall blocking deluges incoming connections. I'm not sure if you are willing to mess around with this. The best way to find the right configuration for your version of Windows and your firewall is probably to try Google.

Otherwise you can uninstall deluge and try µtorrent instead. On installation it will prompt the activation of the ports it needs and should run out of the box afterwards.

If you want to try this, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you carefully read the dialogs and uncheck all the additional software that it wants to install (it'll be stuff like sidebars for your browser, trials of antivir software and similar stuff). It's not malware but it's nothing you need and it will just get in your way sooner or later. If it asks you to change the firewall settings, that's something you'll actually want for it to work properly later on.
  • micahdt71micahdt71 Member Posts: 3
    i just left it on for awhile to see what happened and it has now started downloading.... it started with the peers and now it seems to be in good shape. Thanks for the help i appreciate it
    Mortes
    @Mortes i dont know what im doing wrong but its still not working. Im logged in at the beamdog website and dl'ed the 00766 file or how its called, but when i start it with my torrent its arround 1kb/s dlspeed :/ BG:EE installer is somewhat faster with 5 kb/s but it always has connection problems + that would still need 3 constant days of downloading :/ any other tips what could be wrong?
  • Magical_TrevorMagical_Trevor Member Posts: 57
    ... Alright, I'm going to sound like a moron, but how do you USE the torrent file? I clicked on it, and it said I needed to choose which file from the internet or my computer I should use to open it... Am I being stupid, or is there another step that everyone else just already knows? Thanks!
  • RythgarRythgar Member Posts: 101
    I'm seeding via regular client until release day.

@Daywalker check your torrent client for max number of connections and max download speed settings.
    @Magical_Trevor as far as i know you have to have some kind of torrent program, i just googled "torrent" and dled a free version from chip of some torrent software. THEN you can run the file, but its still running on very low speed for me so i dont know if i did something wrong :/
    @Rythgar should i just enter some random high numbers like 1000000?
    @Magical_Trevor you can use any reputable torrent client. uTorrent and BitTorrent are probably the most popular.
  • cas206cas206 Member Posts: 7
    utorrent is working for me. On cable internet, download will complete in 30 minutes. 1 MB/s download speed...woohoo...too bad I need to wait 5 days to play.
    @Daywalker @Rythgar Thanks a lot! I feel kinda stupid, but at least I'm learning! XD
  • cas206cas206 Member Posts: 7
    For the record, neither direct download method or client method was getting me anywhere.
    still wondering why torrent dl isnt working for me :/ god hates me!.. or well maybe i just dont have any clue how all those torrents work^^
    ... Okay, now I'm getting a message that says it's not valid Bencoding or something when selecting the file, and that the link is giving a 404 error when I try to enter the link in the utorrent program... Should I try another torrent provider thing?
    @Daywalker you should be fine with a number of 200 what should be the default. In addition you might want to wait a bit and see whether your speed gets up or not. Torrents normally take something between 2-5 minutes until you are connected with enough peers to get a sufficient download speed. If you still happen to have no download speed at all, it is probably the firewall which is blocking access.

In this case I'd recommend to google for your windows version and the name of your torrent software in combination with 'firewall' and/or 'open ports'. As an example: 'windows 7 µtorrent firewall open ports'

There should be plenty howtos of how to do it.
    @Daywalker define not working?
    @Magical_Trevor you should have a torrent file downloaded locally. Then open with uTorrent.
    @Mortes im gonna do that!
    @Rythgar well i have been downloading for 20 minutes now, but my speed stays lower than 1 Kb/s, would take me arround 3 weeks to finish the dl^^