Skip to content

Pre-loading for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition has begun!

Comments

• TehCerealKillerTehCerealKiller Member Posts: 56
    Now it's just Connecting....
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited November 2012
    @TehCerealKiller Read about an alternative download method here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/136038/#Comment_136038

And give Mortes all the likes, agrees and insightfuls he deserves.
  • GyumaouGyumaou Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2012
    mlnevese said:

@M6k3 At least you have an alternative. Blizzard never gave you that during the Diablo III overload.

Thanks for the heads up about the direct torrent file, going steady at 2mb/s now. I can't believe how bad the two custom clients are.

And for those unsure about using a proper torrent client here's another advantage: using a proper client those who finish downloading can opt to keep distributing the full file -- thus providing more sources for others to use.

On the other hand, the official installer/beamdog most likely close the connection once download finishes and were meant to only rely on official distro machines. (might be wrong though, never managed to get even 1% using installer)

EDIT: needless to say, I'll help seed the torrent until release time.
  • ZandrakeZandrake Member Posts: 4
    M6k3 said:

I paid for working luncher....if any patch will out i will download it witch torrent to ? Lets be a little serious, if you pay money for somethink you have some expectations....servers dont work and programers doing nothing.

From what I can recollect, I only paid a price for the game. I didn't pay anything for a super fast download. I see no reason in complaining while their staff is already actively working to fix the problems. You will definitely get the game at some point. Have patience and trust.

• SarganSargan Member Posts: 4
    so i finished the pre-download. but how can i play it?
    The Beamdog launcher tells me that the preload is completed...that´s it^^
    can someone help me
  • ThunderThunder Member Posts: 157
    Wait for the 28th, @Sargan
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    Suddenly I am now getting 350 kb/s so maybe they kicked the machine ihis morning to get it sputtering again, haha.
  • MortesMortes Member Posts: 45
    edited November 2012
    @Sargan as @Thunder said. We have to wait until the actual release date. The files you just downloaded are the data files like videos, maps and sound, etc only.

There are no executable files included so that nobody can manage to play before release. We will likely have to download (a comparable smaller amount of) files on the release again which will include the executable files to play the game.
  • SarganSargan Member Posts: 4
    ah fu, kk xD
    should read more
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Mortes The developers already explained there are more 500mb to download.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    So, we'll struggle with the servers again on release date xD Glad I could preload yesterday, I can't wait! :D
  • EmptinessEmptiness Member Posts: 238
    Some suggestions for people on a Windows PC using the BGEEInstaller.exe to preload who are having trouble getting to "Preload Complete":

1) Once the preloader launches and you've entered your Beamdog e-mail/password, click on the "Use P2P" button as desired to either deactivate P2P or reactivate it (if you turned it off and want to turn it back on).

2) Then, don't mess with the process. Don't even look at the data transfer rate, it will only make you sad. Resist the temptation to pause the download and then resume; resist the temptation to exit the preloader and restart it. Resist the temptation to toggle P2P back and forth. (If you do any of those things then you may seem to have kickstarted the preload into progressing more quickly, but repeated application of those kickstarts will eventually bug the preload process and your download will stop progressing entirely.)

3) If you have done any of the things in #2, and your preload is stuck on "Getting Download Info...", then your preload may be bugged, and may never progress beyond this point. I suggest that you do as I did in this situation: Uninstall "Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition", rerun BGEEInstaller.exe, and then proceed as outlined in #1 and #2. (I messed with the preloader for 8 hours or so, and got it stuck on two different computers, then reinstalled and left it alone and it finished the preload in less than 5.5 hours.)
  • vitus01vitus01 Member Posts: 2
    Screw this! I'll wait till the 28th. Still i'm a little bit disappointed.
  • baaddarebaaddare Member Posts: 145
    Gyumaou said:

mlnevese said:

@M6k3 At least you have an alternative. Blizzard never gave you that during the Diablo III overload.

Thanks for the heads up about the direct torrent file, going steady at 2mb/s now. I can't believe how bad the two custom clients are.

And for those unsure about using a proper torrent client here's another advantage: using a proper client those who finish downloading can opt to keep distributing the full file -- thus providing more sources for others to use.

On the other hand, the official installer/beamdog most likely close the connection once download finishes and were meant to only rely on official distro machines. (might be wrong though, never managed to get even 1% using installer)

EDIT: needless to say, I'll help seed the torrent until release time.
    Heh i am willing to help seed if someone tells me how. I was planning on just leaving the connection up when i finished yesterday but they did infact close it.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    edited November 2012
    Accidentaly clicked on the download bar, which made the download pause and now I can't reconnect :(

EDIT: Yeah, restarting the downloader worked. I really should think a bit before opening my mouth...
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    The game is pre-downloaded for me, it's take some time, but all is ok now.

But this is the first time that I use the beambog client and even if I know that we can only start playing the 28, I can't figure where to clic in this interface to actualy start a game.

After this last 500mb download the 28, will I be able to open BG:EE directly in my 'Start menu' without any internet connection?
  • BlixxBlixx Member Posts: 1
    Please make sure to have ports 56274 and 52138 TCP/UDP open. Otherwise the P2P client will not connect to the tracker and your download speed will be very slow. I'd wish for a setting in future BeamDog clients to adjust the port settings.
  • RadioactiveGaryRadioactiveGary Member Posts: 16
    Download speed is dead slow! But I'm not worried... As long as it doesn't take 5 days! :D
  • loganultimaloganultima Member Posts: 109
    @Emptiness thank you for the advice, i had that problem and now it is downloading <3
  • WoolveyWoolvey Member Posts: 1
    I didn't expect lightning fast downloads but 6mb of 1.3Gb after >12 hours is a little disappointing. It tells me it is now downloading at 18b/sec. If true and it can maintain this faster rate and stop flipping to the "connecting..." message, I should have it done in another 20 hours. On the brightside, by the time it finishes downloading, there will be less time to wait for the executables!
  • HeliasHelias Member Posts: 112
    Very slow download, then no download. "Limited connectivity. One ore more games can't be downloaded."

But I already got an overall progress of 0,1%. Hurray! :)
  • DaywalkerDaywalker Member Posts: 37
    @Blixx how can i open this ports? i have no f'ing clue how to do such things ;)
  • SparklesJDSparklesJD Member Posts: 1
    Downloaded 2mb, now have 'limited connectivity' - and that was before the US woke up! Nevermind, I'm sure I'll get it before the 28th...
  • NemissaNemissa Member Posts: 73
    edited November 2012
    stuck for the 987 time at "getting download info" and the torrent link doesn't work either :/
    I want my...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz-8CSa9xj8&amp;feature=player_detailpage
  • DarkShrikeDarkShrike Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2012
    Thank you @Blixx for posting the ports to enable through the firewall. 800KB/s is so much better that 6 B/s...

I wish developers would stop releasing these p2p clients without providing help information in them telling you WHAT ports you need to open up in order for them to work correctly - even better... use standard ports.

-- I wish I had thought to pull up process explorer to see what port it was listening on :(
  • NemissaNemissa Member Posts: 73
    Blixx said:

Please make sure to have ports 56274 and 52138 TCP/UDP open. Otherwise the P2P client will not connect to the tracker and your download speed will be very slow. I'd wish for a setting in future BeamDog clients to adjust the port settings.

any idea/trick for ppl that use the stand alone installer?
  • DarkShrikeDarkShrike Member Posts: 17
    Daywalker said:

@Blixx how can i open this ports? i have no f'ing clue how to do such things ;)

It is totally dependent on what type of firewall your PC is plugged into. You will need to check the documentation that came with your hub to see how to do that.

Also be aware that Windows Firewall can get in your way too if you have it enabled.
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135
    My first copy downloaded in just over an hour yesterday evening. I started the second last night, and it finished this morning. Went to bed and it was crawling along between 2-22b/sec. But they're both finished now. Hopefully the second round of downloads and activation won't take so long. :fingers crossed:
  • pentanorlpentanorl Member Posts: 10
    mlnevese said:

For those having problems downloading, I suggest using the method suggeste by Mortes on the Pre-load thread.

If you have problems to download the files with the official installer, you can try to download them with your prefered torrent software instead. To do it you'll have to login on the beamdog website and follow this link:

http://www.beamdog.com/client/beam/00766.torrent

It will download the BGEE torrent file which you can use to download the preload data files.
    After the download finished, you can copy the 00766 folder with all its content over to the location of the official downloader.

Depending on whether you used the beamdog client or the dedicated BGEE downloader before, you should locate the '\BeamDog\Games' (beamdog client) or '\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data' (dedicated BGEE installer) and copy the 00766 folder from the torrent download location into there. You'll probably have to overwrite existing files. Do so as those files are likely incomplete.

Now you'll only have to delete the files 766.beam and 766.status from this very same folder. Start the official downloader/beamdog client again. It will check the files and should confirm that the download is complete.

Cheers,
    Mortes

@PhillipDaigle I suggest to add this quote to the first post. ^^

Using BitTorrent I was able to download with my maximum bandwith (about 900 Kb/s).
    I'll seed until the release time.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Weird that it would have so much trouble despite being peer-to-peer. Does the downloader throttle it, or something?