Skip to content

Pre-loading for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition has begun!

Comments

• agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114
    Mornmagor said:

The Giant called Blizzard couldn't handle the stress for their products at any given launch. Diablo 3 was particularly disastrous.

I had Steam crash on Skyrim release. How can you be sure that Steam can handle it? Tomorrow or 2 days afterwards Beamdog will handle it as well. Also, most of us preloaded fine.

No company can handle too much traffic effectively, if enough demand shows up the same thing will occur.

That is why smart companies preload, like they did.

Also, in general clients are something i don't like. Put the game on your site, and have me download a file with the game size compressed, install from my disk, and make an installer too for updates and authenticating too. Super fast. No problems. Something like GOG did with BG.

And every time i want to re-install a game i won't have to re-download it. /Glare Steam.

So, excuse my bias friends, but every time i hear the word "Steam", or any other client in general, i fume.

Well, I did not buy Skyrim, but I preordered Batman AC and got 0 problems on launch.

And I do not want to remove any options, just add steam on list. You can hate it, but some of us like it.

And you can backup your steam games. You do not have to redownload it.

I really like steam. I just bought Max Payne 3 for half of the price of BGEE.
  • VinnieTheDogVinnieTheDog Member Posts: 1
    I've read this in the morning at office. I couldn't wait 'till I leave work and sit on my p.c. to start the preload! Thanks! :D
  • agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114
    Zeckul said:

Another reason you should put it on steam. Steam can handle it.

Lol. Is "the steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request" any familiar to you? If not you must have not used Steam much. You can't even play your games when that happens. With this distribution method, once the game is downloaded you can play without any client and any server.
    I got these problems sometimes at store (like today, with these promotions and stuff). Tried two more times and done. Never got any problems to login/download. And I use it everyday in the past 2 years.
  • asuzuasuzu Member Posts: 12
    33kb/s
    Well, I think that will download right by 28th... =)
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207

Rajick, you may need to reinstall .NET 3.5 if you're experiencing the same issue: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21

Ok thanks
  • ThorsonWThorsonW Member Posts: 8
    Hmm... The installer went by in mere seconds, yet the game itself is downloading at... well, first it was 10-15kb/s, then it dropped to 6-8kb/s, then 8b/s, and now it just can't connect to the servers. *looks at stand-alone installer* Maybe I just can't use you...
  • Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    ThorsonW said:

Hmm... The installer went by in mere seconds, yet the game itself is downloading at... well, first it was 10-15kb/s, then it dropped to 6-8kb/s, then 8b/s, and now it just can't connect to the servers. *looks at stand-alone installer* Maybe I just can't use you...

Just give him another chance!!! I beg of you!!! He can do it! Have faith.
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    Woo. .

And, dare I say,

Hoo.

Is anyone else just staring at the slowly creeping download, knowing you could be doing something productive, but unable to drag yourself away from the imminent, eventual delight of having to wait till the 28th? . . .

Just me then? Bugger.
  • KoLKKoLK Member Posts: 1
    I bought a copy of the game as a gift for someone and, while it shows up in her online Beamdog profile, when she tries to download it there's an error message saying "Your account is not provisioned for this title," or something to that effect. Is there a fix? Also, why doesn't the Beamdog website have a Help page?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @KoLK send an email to support@beamdog.com so that they can fix it.
  • ccoolleeiissccoolleeiiss Member Posts: 7
    Jumping around 20 to 25 Kb/s. Hope the server is just full right now, and tomorrow it will be faster.
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120

Jumping around 20 to 25 Kb/s. Hope the server is just full right now, and tomorrow it will be faster.

Seems likely the server is under heavy load - just read a separate thread apologising for that very problem.

My download seems to have skipped - I'm back to the "Connecting" label. This could take a while I think.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    It starts very slow indeed! But suddently jumps to high speeds similar to Steam. I like the launcher and hope people dont pirate bgee, its important to tell those who pirate, everytime we can, that if everyone was like them that game they are enjoying so much would not exist.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Personally I'm glad its not on steam. It gives an opportunity for competitors like Beamdog to emerge.
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    My download speed jumped around between 50 and 450kb but it downloaded in just over an hour.
  • SirFrancealotSirFrancealot Member Posts: 56
    preload complete. Now if someone can just find the decrypt key and crack it....

preload complete. Now if someone can just find the decrypt key and crack it....

Well, that would just be horrible *cough*

• ThorsonWThorsonW Member Posts: 8
    elminster said:

Personally I'm glad its not on steam. It gives an opportunity for competitors like Beamdog to emerge.

I don't see why we /need/ a competitor. Steam is fine for me, a bit "I hate you, go die in a fire" at times, but it's fine in 9/10 cases.
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    crack the key and pull the 500MB not included in the preload out of their asses?
    well, If you get a natural 20, who the knows what the hell will happen?
  • ZandrakeZandrake Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2012
    I know my internet connection isn't the fastest, but my download speed isn't even reaching 1KB/s. I hope it can still finish before the release date. Haha.
  • CyhortCyhort Member Posts: 78
    With the way this is going I'll be lucky to get it downloaded by the 28th, lol. It's been going for two hours now and I just got to 5 MB downloaded :P
  • SowingSadnessSowingSadness Member Posts: 85
    @agentmulder i have steam since 2007. But only 2 times it allow play me in offline mode. In others situation Steam say that he can't change self to offline mode, cos he don't have my personal data or he wish update self right here and right now.
    I some times haven't internet connection and i hate Steam.
  • orion2002orion2002 Member Posts: 3
    I'm experiencing an interesting issue. I will start the client and get up to about 30kb/s and it will download for around 5 minutes. I get the "limited connectivity" message and it drops off. I rinse and repeat every 5 minutes. I am befuddled...
  • PorcelynPorcelyn Member Posts: 65
    It downloads a bit and then gets stuck on connecting. I guess try again in a few days.
  • SteezySteezy Member Posts: 11
    Same here. The client downloads the game with anything between 500 b/s to 20 kb/s with p2p activated or with a steady 15-20 kb/s without p2p and I lose connection after a couple of minutes.
    I'm located in Germany.

Oh well, the servers are probably getting swamped. I'm sure it'll get better over time. We have almost a whole week before the game arrives anyways, haha.
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    I got in and started downloading, up to a whopping 7 megs, with blazing download speeds of 5 b/ps. Now, it's stuck on "getting download info" because my stupid laptop fell asleep. Sigh. Crowded servers.
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    2.5~kbps/42 mbs downloaded so far. Still, not much we can do once we have it anyway. :)

So excited...
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Why the download suddendly stops?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.