Skip to content

Pre-loading for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition has begun!

Comments

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited November 2012
    I've a question: I'm not using the Beamdog client - the software appears to be installed and it's now preloading game data.

Does that mean that every time I install the game I'll have to download it again? Will there be a standalone installer that I can backup, similar to an ISO or something?

It's not a complaint or anything - just trying to figure out if the process changes in some way after release.

So psyched about this! Going through the manuals now.
  • BG_ZeroBG_Zero Member Posts: 23
    I used the Stand alone launcher and I keep getting a error, got it after install and keep getting it now.

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process ID=0xf6c(3948), thread ID=0xda8( 3496)

click ok to terminate the application
    click cancel to debug the application

Debug seems to do nothing, this is throught the BG:EE.exe, is this a issue and if so how should it be handled. thanks :)
  • NemissaNemissa Member Posts: 73
    Khamill said:

mlnevese said:

Stuck at getting download info it doesn't matter if I try with the Beamdog client or the standalone installer...

Same story here, Im kinda confused... does it mean that I have to get some info in order to download the game?? :D
    Hehh.. is it like a pre-quest to play the game "get the info" mission.

yeah basically if you get past that "getting info" stage you satisfy all the pre-requisites to play BGEE ;D
  • GypsySocksGypsySocks Member Posts: 40
    Yay!! Downloading it now!!
  • NemissaNemissa Member Posts: 73
    right ill retry tomorrow,time for bed :P
    good luck to all ;d
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Okay, fixed my problem thanks to @PhillipDaigle, turned out that Penimc (\Framework\v3.0\WPF\PenIMC.dll) had become unregistered, or not correctly registered. I just tried entering my details in and now I've gotten "Verification failed due to a server error." You guys so funny. I can imagine it being the combination of my slow-as-molasses internet connection and your servers probably being at melting point. Will try downloading tomorrow while I'm out, as was planned.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Stuck on getting download info now.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Preload Complete.
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    It seems like it's purely an issue of load, you should be able to get it as we increase capacity/things calm down.
  • eltonbarreleltonbarrel Member Posts: 262
    oh god all sistems are all out of duty.... maybe too much downloaders?
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    still nothing. i try also tomorrow, even if i fear that it will not work on my machines.. damn.. what a depressing outcome :(
    While we're hoping to get everything fixed up today, if you come back in a couple days you'll be able to grab everything.
  • vorticanvortican Member Posts: 206
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh finally complete. Now I get to watch it sit there until it unlocks ahahh... taunting me... whispering to me... invading my thoughts and driving me slowly mad with anticipation.

Damn you, Beamdog. Damn you...
  • eltonbarreleltonbarrel Member Posts: 262
    wow.... super mega overcharged server... maybe in annus domine 3027 all of us can dwnld....
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Got the installer downloaded after I got past the 503 error screen - at the moment I cant get account verified yet due to server error which I assume is from the massive volume - will keep trying every so often until it works -

BTW this is not a complaint just an FYI for folks who may be experiencing the same thing - I am happy the process has finally begun and I'm only days away from a new BG campaign - the first since NWN2 came out!
  • BrooBroo Member Posts: 2
    At least we have the manual to re-read. :)
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207

Troodon80 said:

Got a slight problem, perhaps someone can help.

I'm getting this message:

Description:
    Stopped working

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: bgee.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 0.2.3.0
    Problem Signature 03: 50a71028
    Problem Signature 04: PresentationCore
    Problem Signature 05: 3.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 06: 4f34fb0a
    Problem Signature 07: 296e
    Problem Signature 08: 40
    Problem Signature 09: System.TypeInitialization
    OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 6153
    I'm also getting the same error message when I try to launch the Beamdog client. I was going to try downloading this tomorrow, since I can't download at home (poor speed and even poorer data cap). I'm using a laptop, Toshiba A300-21H, which is also used for software development, so it has got things like VS2005/08/10/12 and all the necessary frameworks. I very rarely get errors like this, and only usually on my other computers* or virtual machines (haven't tried this on any of them) that don't have VS or the .NET frameworks installed, so I'm left a little confused as to why on this. I have DirectX completely up to date since 2007, too.

*Before anyone suggests, I can't realistically try this installer/downloader out on any of my other computers for said reason of data cap and poor speed, as well as not having Windows or Mac installed on all of them. Nor can I really transport my main computer given its size and weight (the one few downsides to the Cosmos II case). But I can say that the Beamdog client works on my main computer. I just can't download anything from home, which leaves me a little snookered as to how to get this game...
    We're working on this one. We may need to contact you via email.
    Yeah that's what my computers doing to
    Rajick, you may need to reinstall .NET 3.5 if you're experiencing the same issue: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Preload complete. Mission a---CCOMPLISHED!
  • notkingnotking Member Posts: 134
    "No server is available to handle this request."
    I'm mad now
  • goldfiregoldfire Member Posts: 1
    Kilivitz said:

I've a question: I'm not using the Beamdog client - the software appears to be installed and it's now preloading game data.

Does that mean that every time I install the game I'll have to download it again? Will there be a standalone installer that I can backup, similar to an ISO or something?

It's not a complaint or anything - just trying to figure out if the process changes in some way after release.

So psyched about this! Going through the manuals now.

More than likely, you could just directly back up the game directory and not actually run the installer again.
    I'll be away from the forums for the next while but I'll be available via email, so please contact support@beamdog.com if you're experiencing issues.
  • agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114
    Another reason you should put it on steam. Steam can handle it.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited November 2012
    The Giant called Blizzard couldn't handle the stress for their products at any given launch. Diablo 3 was particularly disastrous.

I had Steam crash on Skyrim release. How can you be sure that Steam can handle it? Tomorrow or 2 days afterwards Beamdog will handle it as well. Also, most of us preloaded fine.

No company can handle too much traffic effectively, if enough demand shows up the same thing will occur.

That is why smart companies preload, like they did.

Also, in general clients are something i don't like. Put the game on your site, and have me download a file with the game size compressed, install from my disk, and make an installer too for updates and authenticating too. Super fast. No problems. Something like GOG did with BG.

And every time i want to re-install a game i won't have to re-download it. /Glare Steam.

So, excuse my bias friends, but every time i hear the word "Steam", or any other client in general, i fume.
  • emfleckemfleck Member Posts: 9
    Yes, eat my bandwidth... Do it now.
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    edited November 2012
    I understand Ovehaul is small company , so they need more time to handle unexpected errors, therefore wait for a while should not be a problem for me.

But if the game still has issues which cause system crash or new features are buggy , we will lose some confidence in their group.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    Download went smoothly with the BG:EE installer, both manuals read.

Now, we play the waiting game.
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    My preload finally completed! My neighbour really should switch to a better bandwidth provider!