Skip to content

Game Patch: 1.0.2008 *UPDATE: Crash Reports!*

Comments

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    I hope they're able to get the Mac and iPad version out on Monday or Tuesday. I'm excited about them being able to dive back into making game improvements.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited December 2012
    Most of the people are just giving feedback to help the devs find those bugs faster, there will always be some angry customers, but in every game there is a core community that helps the game grow, and those are the ones that are worth reading, no offense intended.
    Many games have been released with problems and grew to become classics, like the witcher.

The cursor problem is fixed as long as I uncheck 'hardware mouse' in graph options.
    mch202
  • theoricustheoricus Member Posts: 115
    Exactly :) Did you guys think that original BG1 wasn't buggy? It was, but we had no reference back then, so sometimes we just didn't know that bug was a bug...
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited December 2012
    So... i read some bugreports that the latest patch (11.30) causes crashes when someone tries to start a new game. How this works out for you?
    First one who attaches a crash dump for it will receive a reward
    got one.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I'd like to see people play Classic Baldur's Gate with the Global Variable Bug.

What about BG2's old classic - the "XXX appears to be busy" (XXX being EVERY FREAKING PERSON IN THE GAME!)

Anyone ever got the weird "you cannot enter Dragon's Eye" in Icewind Dale bug? I did!

You know why I am mentioning this? I didn't have internet connection until 2004. I had to live with these bugs. The ones from BGEE are no problem whatsoever.
    ibitatoSophia[Deleted User]
  • ibitatoibitato Member Posts: 64

I'd like to see people play Classic Baldur's Gate with the Global Variable Bug.

What about BG2's old classic - the "XXX appears to be busy" (XXX being EVERY FREAKING PERSON IN THE GAME!)

Anyone ever got the weird "you cannot enter Dragon's Eye" in Icewind Dale bug? I did!

You know why I am mentioning this? I didn't have internet connection until 2004. I had to live with these bugs. The ones from BGEE are no problem whatsoever.

yep,ppl have no historic memory
    ArcalianJames
  • Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    I have had some crashes, but I am unable to locate this "crash" folder, nor do I see any .dmp files. I would like to send these in as requested in order to help out, but I can't if I can't find them.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    They should be in the same directory as your save files (Documents\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\crash).
    No, I've checked both the Documents\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition as well as the Program Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition locations. I've opened every folder in both locations. Perhaps my computer just isn't saving the .dmp files or maybe they aren't being created? I don't know a lot about this sort of stuff...
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    So, this patch is supposed to fix game crashes? I'll check it out on monday if I can ever launch the game after applying it.
  • DeadstarDeadstar Member Posts: 20
    Awesome! I have been waiting for the first patch.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Since applying Game Patch: 1.0.2008 my game actually opens less regularly, lol. Usually takes one or two tries. I had to change compatibility mode from Windows XP SP2 to Windows Vista SP2 to get it to work and its still about 60/40 that it opens. If it fails I just try again - Anyone else with this issue?
  • ibitatoibitato Member Posts: 64

Since applying Game Patch: 1.0.2008 my game actually opens less regularly, lol. Usually takes one or two tries. I had to change compatibility mode from Windows XP SP2 to Windows Vista SP2 to get it to work and its still about 60/40 that it opens. If it fails I just try again - Anyone else with this issue?

try win 95 compatibility and always run with admin rights
    worth a try

• BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Kristie83 said:

No, I've checked both the Documents\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition as well as the Program Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition locations. I've opened every folder in both locations. Perhaps my computer just isn't saving the .dmp files or maybe they aren't being created? I don't know a lot about this sort of stuff...

@Kristie
    Try running a search for *.dmp on your pc.
    Maybe that will reveal the missing file somewhere, hiding, lurking, just biting it's time...
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    ibitato said:

try win 95 compatibility and always run with admin rights
    worth a try

Nope, but thanks - Vista SP1 is what gives me the best chance of success... About 60/40.
  • Arabus13Arabus13 Member Posts: 102
    Not sure what the patch did, but it improved my game greatly! Prior to the patch the game would stutter, freeze, then stop responding frequently. I played for several hours today with no issues at all.
    DeeTroodon80BelgarathMTHAristillius
    Bytebrain said:

Kristie83 said:

@Kristie
    Try running a search for *.dmp on your pc.
    Maybe that will reveal the missing file somewhere, hiding, lurking, just biting it's time...

None came up from the search...They must be more stealthy than we realize...
    DecrepitDragon
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    edited December 2012
    @Kristie83 - I wonder if its possible that they are being saved as hidden files? I'm not a great tech head, but Windows might be treating them as system files and hiding them automatically.

Either that, or the patch didn't install correctly for you and its .dmp crash logs aren't being written. Is there a way to re-apply the patch in that case?

I have to say that the patch has fixed some of my issues, but I seem to be one of the lucky ones so far. :)
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    @Kristie83
    Did you find your savegames?
    If yes, did you find a folder named 'crash' besides the folder named 'save'?
    If yes, did the game show you a popup mentioning it created a dump?

Actually, some crashes don't show a popup.
    But, if you are lucky, you will see something like this:

So, next time if you see something like this, don't close the window before you find the file.

If you didn't see this, then chances are the crash dump wasn't created anyway.
    Cuvlolien
    edited December 2012
    Wise advice @Aosaw, sorry. Past my bedtime and my patience is a little thin. :)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Please don't encourage the spambot. It's only following its programming.
    DecrepitDragon

@Kristie83
    Did you find your savegames?
    If yes, did you find a folder named 'crash' besides the folder named 'save'?
    If yes, did the game show you a popup mentioning it created a dump?

Actually, some crashes don't show a popup.
    But, if you are lucky, you will see something like this:

So, next time if you see something like this, don't close the window before you find the file.

If you didn't see this, then chances are the crash dump wasn't created anyway.

I don't get any of that when the game crashes. I don't know if it makes a difference that I'm running Win XP and not Win 7.

@DecrepitDragon When I did the search for *.dmp I told it to search hidden folders too, and nothing came up.

I don't know if this is happening to anyone else, but sometimes instead of a regular game crash, The game freezes, then my monitor says No Input Signal which indicates that my computer is off but it isn't really, but I can't do anything except hit the restart button on my computer. Also, sometimes after a regular game crash, when I go to start the game again, I can't load a saved game and it crashes again, but I can get around it by restarting my computer. I'm getting kind of tired of restarting my computer so often, lol. I did install the patch, which seemed to go smoothly, and I have updated my drivers. I really hope the majority of the problems that people are having can be fixed in the weeks to come. I'm really enjoying the game though, but I would enjoy it a lot more without all these issues.
    Aristillius
  • greatnessgreatness Member Posts: 1
    I feared updating with the patch. Before, I could run in Windows 95 compatibility mode and the game ran great, now, every single compatibility mode doesn't work. I get the white screen on each one. Is there a way I can go back to what I had?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Kristie83 Is BGEE the only program where it happens? The symptoms you describe, mainly the No Signal, makes me think you may have a faulty graphics card...
    mlnevese said:

@Kristie83 Is BGEE the only program where it happens? The symptoms you describe, mainly the No Signal, makes me think you may have a faulty graphics card...

@Kristie83 and @mlnevese - It may not be a faulty card, I've had issues like that before, admittedly in different games or situations, but generally, they happened as a result of the GPU either locking up, or trying to display a resolution my monitor couldn't handle.

The first required either a game patch or driver update ( which I see you have tried Kristie83 ), and the second was fixed by lowering the res till something worked. Have you been modifying your .ini file at all?
    @mlnevese Yes BGEE is the only program to cause this to happen. Mind you, I don't think it happened before I updated my drivers yesterday. Do you think I should roll back the update? Thanks for the info, I didn't know this was graphics card related.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Kristie83 Try forcing a lower resolution by editing your ini file.

mlnevese said:

@Kristie83 and @mlnevese - It may not be a faulty card, I've had issues like that before, admittedly in different games or situations, but generally, they happened as a result of the GPU either locking up, or trying to display a resolution my monitor couldn't handle.

The first required either a game patch or driver update ( which I see you have tried Kristie83 ), and the second was fixed by lowering the res till something worked. Have you been modifying your .ini file at all?
    I'm not sure I know what a .ini file is, so no, I haven't done anything to modify any file. Do you think I should roll back my drivers because it wasn't doing that before I updated them. The game was just crashing normally, lol.
    @mlnevese How does on edit a .ini file?
This discussion has been closed.