Skip to content

How to use custom portraits (BG1, BG:EE, BG2, BG2:EE, IWD, IWD:EE, IWD2)

Comments

• manchy69manchy69 Member Posts: 6

Um... you put those pictures in
    C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\Portraits, right? That is the wrong place...

X:\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\Override is the directory you are supposed to use!

Edit: Actually I tried it too and I am surprised that it worked with Imoen using the custom portraits directory... and even stranger: It worked with Dorn as well o.O
    I use Override directory.
  • DurlachionDurlachion Member Posts: 82
    manchy69 said:

no jpg... I just posted picture he use instead of original Dorn picture.

I didn't get this one: You want to change Dorns picture but already exchanged - somehow - Dorns picture with a .bmp version of the picture you posted?
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I think what's going on is that his character is using Dorn's portrait. Default game behaviour is to change an NPC's portrait when you select it for your own char.

In that case, yeah, you should replace the file it's being used by the game. If I'm not mistaken, this portrait is either MAN1 or MAN2.
    Durlachion
    Aaaaah, thanks Kilivitz. I almost started crying...
    "MAN2" is what you are looking for :)
  • manchy69manchy69 Member Posts: 6
    WORKING :-)

It is MAN2.

Thanks to Durlachion and Kilivitz.
  • Mad_SweeneyMad_Sweeney Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2012
    Custom portraits and sounds are what make this cRPG one of my favorites.
    Post edited by Mad_Sweeney on
    lunar
  • GandalfPortraitGuyGandalfPortraitGuy Member Posts: 206
    I'm trying to make Custom Portraits. So far I've done everything the OP has suggest and it doesn't work. The Custom Portrait button appears, I click it, and then none of the portraits appear, it's just their file names with question marks for a head. :(
    Ummmm what did that guy on the first page do to get it to work?
  • PeteAtomsPeteAtoms Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 140

I'm trying to make Custom Portraits. So far I've done everything the OP has suggest and it doesn't work. The Custom Portrait button appears, I click it, and then none of the portraits appear, it's just their file names with question marks for a head. :(
    Ummmm what did that guy on the first page do to get it to work?

Just to check, what are the dimensions? What is the filetype? How many characters/letters are in the file names? And what is the file path or folder are the images?
    Okay well, it's 169x266, and 54x84 for Medium and Small. None of the file names have over 7 letters. The file type is still Bit Map (If that's what file type means), and the Folder is in the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition place under My Folders, like the OP suggested.
    @GandalfPortraitGuy
    The filesize of your XXXXXXXM.BMP should be slightly above 134.862 Bytes (maybe 135.184 Bytes)
    The filesize of your XXXXXXXS.BMP should be slightly above 13.608 Bytes (maybe 13.832 Bytes)

Different sizes from those would indicate your bitmaps have the wrong bit depth (not 24bpp).
    GandalfPortraitGuy
    Okay, I finally got it to work .
    Thank you, by the way guys.
    hmswarrior
  • axellsladeaxellslade Member Posts: 47
    I'm trying to convert some old portraits I had to work with BGEE, they are the right size and name lenght but I can't save them into 24-bit BMP in Paint. When I select 24-bit in the drop down list and hit save, the image is saved as 32-bit BMP.
    No idea what's going on.
  • oldsch00loldsch00l Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 192
    Maybe if you copy the image and paste it in a new document ?
  • axellsladeaxellslade Member Posts: 47
    @oldschool
    Nope, Paint simply won't save as 24-bit no matter what. I had to use Paint.net and it worked.

• Michel889Michel889 Member Posts: 13
    Gimp has the option to save bmp in 16 24 32 bit. 24 is the one you want. I have tried and work perfectly even resizing them from my BG2 portrait folder.
    A question: why do i need the xxxL.bmp? I have been only doing the xxxM.bmp and xxxS.bmp in my custom portrait and the game doesn't complain about a missing xxxL.bmp
    ( I am new with BGEE)
  • oldsch00loldsch00l Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 192
    Michel889 said:

A question: why do i need the xxxL.bmp? I have been only doing the xxxM.bmp and xxxS.bmp in my custom portrait and the game doesn't complain about a missing xxxL.bmp
    ( I am new with BGEE)

Apparently BG:EE only use the Large portrait in the character creation screen so it's pretty useless...
  • Michel889Michel889 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks!
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Seems this thread dropped out of view. Lets change that!
  • wildwild Member Posts: 43
    edited January 2013
    Is there any way to change the alternate pic for an npc without just replacing the picture?

edit: nevermind ill just rename them and run the same pic for my pc and viccy
    Post edited by wild on
  • GassGass Member Posts: 8
    what do you mean when you are telling to restart the game?
  • SgthawkerSgthawker Member Posts: 31
    @Gass Restarting the game means literally, to quit the game entirely, and click the icon to play your game again. If you have made some of these adjustments while the game is running, it won't recognize the changes (such as adding portraits), so, you restart, and the game will recognize the new portraits etc..
  • GassGass Member Posts: 8
    thank you but that means that i am doing something else wrong
  • MerryMerry Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2013
    I've got two bmp 24 images, M_ELF02M and M_ELF02S (can see both pictures in character generation), but in game on the right panel I can see the top left angle of the medium picture. Could you please advise how to fix that?
    Upd: fixed it choosing the small portrait in another menu. Didn't notice it the first time
  • Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    Does anyone know what problem causes my game to crash (and how I fix it) when ever I try to have Viconia join my party after I altered her portrait?
    From the beginning:
    Had to create an override folder --> not a problem. All the other characters photos show up correctly in game except for Viconia's. When I meet up with her and initaiate dialouge she has no picture at all and when she joins, her miniature picture show a grey picture with a question mark on it. Immediately the game freezes and crashes.
    So, my conclusion to this was that it was something wrong with that specific picture. But now I have tried several others, and even removed the override folder and recreating it to see if that would solve anything. No change. The name I use for her is VICONIAS and VICONIAL. That's correct, right? tried it with VICONIL etc. also but no results. (and yes, correct sizes and bnp.)
    ANY ideas would be appriciated!! I can't stand the standard picture of her ;)
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    edited January 2013
    JosefineS said:

Does anyone know what problem causes my game to crash (and how I fix it) when ever I try to have Viconia join my party after I altered her portrait?
    From the beginning:
    Had to create an override folder --> not a problem. All the other characters photos show up correctly in game except for Viconia's. When I meet up with her and initaiate dialouge she has no picture at all and when she joins, her miniature picture show a grey picture with a question mark on it. Immediately the game freezes and crashes.
    So, my conclusion to this was that it was something wrong with that specific picture. But now I have tried several others, and even removed the override folder and recreating it to see if that would solve anything. No change. The name I use for her is VICONIAS and VICONIAL. That's correct, right? tried it with VICONIL etc. also but no results. (and yes, correct sizes and bnp.)
    ANY ideas would be appriciated!! I can't stand the standard picture of her ;)

You need:

VICONIAL.bmp 210x330 (24-Bit),
    VICONIAM.bmp 169x266 (24-Bit) and
    VICONIAS.bmp 54x84 (24-Bit)

I guess you could skip the "L" version, but I always use all three ("L", "M" & "S") versions for all of my "alternate" NPCs and they work.
  • BiscuitsBiscuits Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I've tried to follow all the above advice, i'm still having trouble. I've correctly named the files and put them in the right place but only one of them works. I had to resize the others so that is probably the problem, just wondered if anyone had a way to resize the files that worked. I'll upload a screenshot to show the stage i'm at (I understand the file is a L size, it's the original, and it's the only one that works) Thanks
  • BiscuitsBiscuits Member Posts: 8
    (Not sure why my screenshot doesn't show up, seems to be downloadable though)
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    @Biscuits that could have something to do with the resized bitmaps not being 24-bit. If you could attach the original portrait, I might be able to resize it in a way that's gonna work for you.
    BiscuitsTroodon80
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Kilivitz, got there before you :D.

@Biscuits, These should work.

Named them customL, customM, and customS. They can be renamed to whatever you want. Just copy them over to the Documents\BGEE\portraits folder and it should work (you'll need to tell me whether they do or not).
    KilivitzBiscuits