Skip to content

Bug Reporting Process

CameronToferCameronTofer Administrator, Developer Posts: 279
edited January 2013 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.2)
Bug reports must be properly formatted before the dev team can fix them. Once a bug has been discussed and there is a consensus on what to do then a report can be made. The report should be in the following format:

"Describe current behavior. Describe expected behavior"

That's it. It's as simple as that. No need to add background or justification since a consensus will have already been made. It should be as simple and concise as possible.

A good bug report, simple, complete, describes expected behavior:
"If a character's attack target is destroyed the character will sometimes continue to walk to the target's last location. The character should stop moving once it's target is destroy."

A bad bug report, does not describe expected behavior:
"Unconsciousness prevents you from being targeted by hostile creatures unless you are specifically targeted and unconscious characters are not visible to the spell farsight."

Once a bug report has been accepted by the team we will flag it to let everyone know its in the process of being worked on.

Note: Please report whether the bug was found in multiplayer.
Post edited by Coriander on
AndreaColomboAntonTanthalasDeekiskilllillasarevok57MhaguRerelAkerhonWhitewind617Jason_SilverainOxford_GuyPerusoeHaHaCharadeSCARY_WIZARDCrevsDaakButtercheese

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Thanks for clarifying, Cam. I'll have a look at my bugfix requests and edit them.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    And how should we report bugs that are included in fixpacks? Just mention the fixpack or seperatly post each bug? That would be hard... :P
    Anton
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    It might be hard, but its a lot easier for the development team if they know exactly what each bug does and how things should be working.

They're just asking for a bit of help to get things done faster.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    With such a simple format, it's hard to complain (but I'll find a way!), but it's also reasonable. I'll try to edit my own as well, but I feel for whoever tries to edit the Ascension64 ToBex post!
    @CameronTofer
    Hopefully this won't sound aseninely oversimplistic, just trying to be certain how to rework my own bug threads. Would this be an adequate rewrite or are you looking for a more coding-specific prognosis/ correction articulation?

Previous articulation:
    Unconsciousness prevents you from being targeted by hostile creatures unless you are specifically targeted (ie Attack(Player1) ) and unconscious characters are not visible to the spell farsight (but IIRC non-detected characters are).

Reworked Articulation
    Game Behavior at Present
    1. Unless an enemy has already specifically targeted a detectable creature (as with script command "Attack(Player1)") prior to the creature being affected by unconsciousness (ex., from a Sleep spell), enemies do not target creatures that are unconscious.

2. The spell Farsight does not make unconscious creatures visible.

3. The spell Farsight does make creatures visible which are affected by Non-Detection magic.

Correct Game Behavior
    1. Enemies should target detectable unconscious creatures automatically without regard to pre-unconscious targeting.

2. Farsight should enable detection of unconscious creatures.

3. Farsight shouldn't enable detection of creatures under the effect of Non-Detection magic.
    smeagolheartkiskilllilla
  • CameronToferCameronTofer Administrator, Developer Posts: 279
    Much better. I want it to sound incredibly obvious so there is no misunderstanding and still in plain English.
    When reporting bugs I assume making references to specific files such as 'ar0100.are' etc is ok?
    Oh! Excellent. Will do as soon as I get to a real keyboard... iPhone can be a pain...

Hey, @AndreaColombo, if you want to use my reworked version instead of waiting for Galactygon, feel free to do so! Not entirely sure I reworded it true to intent.
    Not entirely sure I reworded it true to intent.
    That is precisely why I didn't edit the post myself and waited for Galactygon instead. If he doesn't show up by tomorrow, I'll use your version until he does :-)
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @Balquo Yes, specifics, like the area file, help us find/reproduce the bug and test fixes.
    AndreaColombo
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Ahh, development best practices. I love it. :)
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    BGT is a unnoficial mod, can we post problems with that program here? My problem is not a dificult question but i don't know if the rules here allow me to post BGT or any other mod relative question.
    @kamuizin I'd suggest posting your problem on a mod forum, if it's related to the mod installation or content. Bugs can be introduced by mods and we can't really do anything to fix those, but if the problem is part of BGII and we can reproduce it without the mod... then it's something we can probably do something about. What's the issue?
    @coriander the issue is:

Baldurs.ini don't accept anymore the line "Debug Mode=1" under the program options.

Even if i put it there and save, i can't open the cheat menu by pressing the ctrl+space keys.

What i believe its happening:

the BGT modified the baldurs.ini and now it can't recognize the "Debug Mode=1" command.

[Program Options]
    Debug Mode=1
    Installing=0
    Install Type=3
    [Alias]
    HD0:=C:\Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\
    CD1:=C:\Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD1\
    CD2:=C:\Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\
    CD3:=C:\Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD3\
    CD4:=C:\Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD4\
    CD5:=C:\Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD5\
    [Game Options]
    Cheats=1
    Memory Access=100
    Memory Level=1
    [Local]
    Language=English
    Language25=English
    [Uninstall]
    Uninst_dir=C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information\{8DAE4336-2B71-11D4-9A6C-006067325E47}
    Uninst_dir_25=C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information\{B8C3B479-1716-11D5-968A-0050BA84F5F7}
    [GameSpy]
    Enabled=1
    edited June 2012
    @kamuizin Are you using Window 7? I have to run the game as admin otherwise anything I put in the .ini will not work.

Otherwise you should check out the BGT forums (if there is one) and see if you find the answer there.
    kamuizin
    Yes, i'm in Windows 7. It worked now, as i start the game as admin in fact baldur's gate act as a frist play, trowing me on the config screen where everything was reseted, i just adjust the settings and entered the game. However in game on load screen i had acess to my previous loads and now i can use the console.

Thanks @Balquo.
  • Bastion72Bastion72 Member Posts: 60
    Please fix the Viconia romance bugs in bg 2 or better just make a whole new romance system.
    @Bastion72 This is not the place for making requests.
    @Coriander Where should i report bugs and requests?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited July 2012
    @Bastion72

In the Bugs and Feature Requests subforums.

EDIT: Also, try to make sure you're not repeating stuff that has already been reported.
    @Tanthalas thanks
    @Bastion72 First do a search to see if someone has made a thread similar to what you're thinking. You can add your thoughts if there's already a discussion. If not, create your own thread in the appropriate section, either Bugs or Feature Requests in your case. If you have specific bugs with the Viconia romance, list them in the Bugs section.
  • beobeo Member Posts: 143
    I assume this is for bugs that remained in the game after last official patch, which number I don't remember.

By the way, will be BG:EE using own unique versioning or continue with the original one?
    @beo Probably unique.
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    Have you guys tried raiding the sites at:

http://www.baldurdash.org/BG1/bg1fixes.html

and

http://www.forgottenwars.com/dudleyfix/index.htm

for fixes? Many of the game bugs are already fixed here and you can integrate them into Baldur's Gate: EE. There is also the Unfinished Business mod here:

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=161&Itemid=114

That contains a couple of bug fixes as well as cut content. Some of their "cut content" was also supposed to show up in the game but didn't because of scripting errors.
    LuneverNimz
    @Wraith_Sarevok - not only have the developers taken inspiration from all fixpacks in existance, but the authors of said fixpacks are, for the most part, beta testers for BG:EE. You can rest assured that no fixpack will be required for BG:EE.
    Avenger_teambgHaHaCharade
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    edited August 2012
    @AndreaColombo - Thanks! That's very reassuring to know.
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    Ugh, I feel like such an idiot for not looking at this post earlier. No wonder people were annoyed with my bug reports -_- Hopefully I updated my recent report properly enough so that it follows these guidelines.
    lordkim
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    CURRENT BEHAVIOR: Viconia will not romance half-orcs
    EXPECTED BEHAVIOR: Half-orcs are romanceable by Viconia

I'm basing the expected behavior on what I've read online, so consider the source... Still, the sources seemed consistent and there was apparently a bug-fix for this. I read all of the topics in FIXED (hopefully am not duplicating something) to make sure I wasn't off-base.

I seem unable to post in bugs, which might be a browser compatibility issue, so I tried here. Thanks!
    HaHaCharade
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    A half-orc/drow romance? What a monstrosity!

There's no romances in BG1, unless they added some (or somehow gobbled up the BG1 NPC project on the sly).