Skip to content

How do your rate that developer's work until now ?

darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
The Christmas holiday is coming , BG-EE succeed available in PC , iOS platforms now,
Most of people enjoy the game ,but still have someone can't work the game well (Due to Intel integrated chip issue)
We had saw 5 update patchs from Overhaul Games , and fix lots of problems , but still have many known issue now.
How do you rate developer's work until now ?
Just share your comment , don't fight / quarrel / argue to much in the thread
  1. How do your rate that developer's work until now ?121 votes
    1. 10 - Amazing Job , nothing can complain ,
      15.70%
    2. 9.0 - Nice Work , wait more Mods coming
      19.83%
    3. 8.0 - Good , Give me more DLCs
      31.40%
    4. 7.0 - What's new features later ? I need more enhanced functions
        9.92%
    5. 6.0 - When no bugs ? This is " Enhanced Edition" ,
      12.40%
    6. 5.0 - Too many promise don't become reality at this moment , we need them "work"
        7.44%
    7. 4.0 - Except save / load are fast , nothing more ...
        0.83%
    8. 3.0 - Wide Screen mods with BGT are even better than BG-EE
        1.65%
    9. 2.0 - Slow performace , it's difficult to enjoy this game
        0.00%
    10. 1.0 - What the hell , i pay money , but BG-EE doesn't work in my Laptop / PC
        0.83%

Comments

• darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    Continue support is great for BG-EE , but i hate bugs ruin my gaming experience,
    Even they are fixed by patchs later , but i don't have much time to replay the game so many times,
    Hope we can see the new features and no bugs soon , and BG-EE would be great !
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    The worst bugs have been fixed and there are still quite some more bugs from the original left compared to TUTU or BGT. The main thing that disappoints me a bit is, that the better mod compatibility doesn't seem to be all that true because there is still way to much stuff hardcoded.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Initially on a similar thread I gave it an 8. I would go up to 8.5 now given their extensive support so far, its not quite a 9 yet.
    [Deleted User]leyshjonoe
    MERLANCE said:

Initially on a similar thread I gave it an 8. I would go up to 8.5 now given their extensive support so far, its not quite a 9 yet.

I would like to give developers more support , even pay more money , but they need to let me feel this game really become better , no bugs , impressive new features ,

Like this even if over $50 , i can pay for Overhaul Games ,
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    edited December 2012
    I don't need DLCs. I need the dev team to focus their power on bug fixing and then BG2:EE :)).

I just wish somehow they could fix that intro cinematic or at least make an option for the old one.. That's about the only thing that bothers me, so that's a complaint but i didn't like the other options.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    darrenkuo
    edited December 2012
    Riolathel said:

I don't need DLCs. I need the dev team to focus their power on bug fixing and then BG2:EE :)).I just wish somehow they could fix that intro cinematic or at least make an option for the old one.. That's about the only thing that bothers me, so that's a complaint but i didn't like the other options.

Actually ,
    i really want to rate 10 score for BG-EE ,

But i feel if BG-EE want to live more longer time , the Graphic / GUI / Mechanic still must be a little adjusted , because original version was 14 years ago, even it's classic but still need to a little bit change.

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Eh. I prefer a 1-5 scale.

I feel that, when the remaining scenes are in the game and multiplayer (which I doubt I'll use much anyway) have been properly added, they've kept their promise; a polished BG set in the sequel's engine with some new content. That's what I wanted, that's what I paid for and I'll be thrilled when the day comes. That's a top score in my book.

Now, the game certainly isn't done in its current state. As mentioned, there's cut scenes missing which is part of the original content. Judging by last patch, we're getting them though. That just leaves a load of bugs which they also seem to be serious about removing. They've done a lot of work on that allready which is very promising.
    Shandyr said:

I would like to point out that the Publisher almost always play a role in this.
    Sometimes it may be positive, sometimes negative.

Just want to mention it, so that nobody overlooks this...

I agree it's a rule in currently bussiness style , i am more hope new patchs which is new contents , new NPCs , new features , not limitless bugs .. but i know once you touch the code more bugs happen ,

Just hope BG-EE/BG2 become antoher RPG classic,
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited December 2012
    Honestly when I first heard about this project I was a bit worried that they would mess up the memory of my all time favorite game series. The remake isn't perfect yet but it is better than I could have ever hoped for.
    paladin235
    Tresset said:

Honestly when I first heard about this project I was a bit worried that they would mess up the memory of my all time favorite game series. The remake isn't perfect but it is better than I could have ever hoped for.

I beleive after patchs and DLCs , new features , BG-EE would be great ,

I just no idea how well they can add new elments into the game in the future , or just keep dig out the bugs , and small new function,

I choose believe Overhual Games in this case until now.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2012
    Its had a really, really bumpy start, but I think at present it rates at about an 8.
    paladin235
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    My concerns about BG:EE were washed away when I heard the voice-acting of the three new NPCs and experienced one full plot arc from one of them. Overhaul Games has done well as far as I'm concerned, and as long as they keep trucking on the updates and bring me some DLCs, I would be willing to step up from the 8 I ranked here.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    If we are rating the developers work after 3 weeks of being released it is a 10. You can tell they are committed to fixing the issues that the game has and also listening to the community for feedback. Both very strong positives when most people think developers are just counting money after a game release.

4 patches in less than a month is impressive and there is no indication that they are slowing down.
  • TheBlackThroneTheBlackThrone Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2012
    I gave them a 6 trying to be objective about the whole project (what was changed, how much was added, how smooth the launch went, etc.), but if I had the option, I'd probably change that to a 7 or 8 now.

There are many things that could have been better about BGEE, but for such a small dev team (working under so many legal restrictions and without any of the source materials), they're doing a pretty good job. I was very positively surprised by their constant presence on the forum and the number of updates that came out since release. They'll have my support as long as they keep this level of dedication.
    darrenkuoAristillius
  • batiudramibatiudrami Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2012
    I've completed BG1:EE and am now playing a 1PP/Widescreen/BG2 Fixpack run of BG2 with my character, so I have a fair point of comparison.

It was good. But it's not what I was hoping for. The improved load/save times were great. Having THAC0 and damage displayed on the inventory screen was a huge improvement for me.

But, the interface is still a disappointment. I was hoping for an interface which was perhaps 70% of its current size - the PC interface is clearly designed to have buttons which are clickable on a tablet. I would have wanted the interface to have high resolution images which were scaled down, not low res ones scaled up so they blurred. I would have hoped for far more quick spell slots to take advantage of the increased space. I would have liked set loadouts so that I can have a sword and shield AND bow equipped and to be able to switch between them without manually doing it in my inventory.

Honestly, I was hoping for a completely redesigned interface to take advantage of the increased width offered by widescreen monitors and high resolutions.

This sounds like a big ask, but Icewind Dale II did almost all of these things on the same engine. http://i.imgur.com/bGHYk.jpg

So, I was disappointed. I enjoyed my playthrough, and will likely still buy BG2EE, but it was not what I was expecting.
    darrenkuoMalbortusdarkkhaineTJ_Hooker
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    7 is a reality. Still there are some bugs with the quests.
    Old intro-movies were deleted, without any cinematics substitution and the new cinematics themself are not good (C'mon it's 2012 if you have 3dMax and AfterEffects you could do a way better movie).

But the support is great, and they fix-a-lot within 2 weeks or so. It's a very important thing nowadays.
    It will be 8 then, IMO.

It will be a 9 in the future, if they continue to polish the game and add some promised DLCs in a month or two :-)

I gave them a 6 trying to be objective about the whole project (what was changed, how much was added, how smooth the launch went, etc.), but if I had the option, I'd probably change that to a 7 or 8 now.

There are many things that could have been better about BGEE, but for such a small dev team (working under so many legal restrictions and without any of the source materials), they're doing a pretty good job. I was very positively surprised by their constant presence on the forum and the number of updates that came out since release. They'll have my support as long as they keep this level of dedication.

I think if Overhaul Games want to survive through BG-EE series , they have to ..
    They had quick response for some mainly issues until now ,

Multi Platforms / Languages support , can help them make more sales and profit , i am not sure how big of the Baldur's Gate's potential sales , but i hope it can let us survive or make the money for their hard work,

I still think 14 years later , BG-EE must be more great and impressive in Graphic and gaming feeling , but they still didn't reach this level obviously now, expet they can done it in the future,
    edited December 2012

I've completed BG1:EE and am now playing a 1PP/Widescreen/BG2 Fixpack run of BG2 with my character, so I have a fair point of comparison.

It was good. But it's not what I was hoping for. The improved load/save times were great. Having THAC0 and damage displayed on the inventory screen was a huge improvement for me.

But, the interface is still a disappointment. I was hoping for an interface which was perhaps 70% of its current size - the PC interface is clearly designed to have buttons which are clickable on a tablet. I would have wanted the interface to have high resolution images which were scaled down, not low res ones scaled up so they blurred. I would have hoped for far more quick spell slots to take advantage of the increased space. I would have liked set loadouts so that I can have a sword and shield AND bow equipped and to be able to switch between them without manually doing it in my inventory.

Honestly, I was hoping for a completely redesigned interface to take advantage of the increased width offered by widescreen monitors and high resolutions.

This sounds like a big ask, but Icewind Dale II did almost all of these things on the same engine. http://i.imgur.com/bGHYk.jpg

So, I was disappointed. I enjoyed my playthrough, and will likely still buy BG2EE, but it was not what I was expecting.

Same feeling with you , i love BG-EE and go through one time , but i still feel it should be better , base on current tech and design concept , i desire that BG-EE is really amazing for new generation kids,
  • Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    In general, I've got quite a lot of good will for Beamdog... but it's worth pointing out that none of that goodwill accumulated as a result of BGEE--it came about due to their impressive effort post-launch to patch up the game.

At launch, the BGEE was in an inexcusably buggy state, especially given the lengthy delay, and the new content was... extraordinarily sparse. Beamdog has also been... not terribly open with the community (that's us!) and a small developer like them really NEEDS to have a more open dialog.

But for all the flaws BGEE had (and still has), Beamdog seems intent on correcting them... and that earns them a lot of praise from me.

And @everyone who thinks it's fair to criticize Beamdog because the game was not what you were expecting from it... Beamdog has -always- been very upfront and honest about what they were doing. You really have no one to blame but yourselves for harboring unrealistic, unwarranted expectations.
    darrenkuoelminster
  • batiudramibatiudrami Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2012

And @everyone who thinks it's fair to criticize Beamdog because the game was not what you were expecting from it... Beamdog has -always- been very upfront and honest about what they were doing. You really have no one to blame but yourselves for harboring unrealistic, unwarranted expectations.

I don't think it's unreasonable to criticise a finished product. Obviously they worked hard, with a small team and a limited budget. I'm not writing off the game by any means, and like I said, I enjoyed it, just that when 'reworked UI' was announced, I was expecting much more improvement than I got. Obviously once the screenshots were first released, I had a better idea of what to expect.

IWD2 and PS:T show that a much improved interface can be done, and it isn't what we got, and I was disappointed. Like I said, though, I still enjoyed my playthrough and liked the enhancements which were made.

elminsterdarrenkuoTJ_Hooker
    edited December 2012
    Actually , i agree both of @Arsene_Lupin and @batiudrami 's opinion ,

I though BG-EE can be better in the future and also know Overhaul Games is small company which has resources / budgets limitation , so it means something they can done , but others can't ,

I don't know how to figure out unwarranted expectations, may i expect Graphic effect become better ? or paper doll system be more nice ? no matter what all of us just only we can enjoy the game for more longer time,

edited December 2012
    darrenkuo said:

Actually , i agree both of @Arsene_Lupin and @batiudrami 's opinion ,

I though BG-EE can be better in the future and also know Overhaul Games is small company which has resources / budgets limitation , so it means something they can done , but others can't ,

I don't know how to figure out unwarranted expectations, may i expect Graphic effect become better ? or paper doll system be more nice ? no matter what all of us just only we can enjoy the game for more longer time,

In the graphics aspect they were limited I guess by the lack of original artwork. So while I suppose they could have redone the paperdolls, with the background as it is the paper dolls being clearer/crisper would look very out of place. I guess they could have improved spells more?
  • WonderviceWondervice Member Posts: 56
    edited December 2012
    It is fine, but it is lackluster.
    I enjoy the new content, but there is not much of it, and it has an unfinished feel to it. The bugs don't help either.
    A lot of things that I tought would be essential for an "enchancement" were not done. (kit rebalancing, spell rebalancing for BG1 etc.)
    What has been implemented works, but there is nothing that feels like an actual big improvement over the original. In hindsight I do not think it is worth it's price, if you already own the game.

So...it's fine.

EDIT: Hmm i wanted to vote 5, dunno what went wrong...
    There are BG

It is fine, but it is lackluster.
    I enjoy the new content, but there is not much of it, and it has an unfinished feel to it. The bugs don't help either.
    A lot of things that I tought would be essential for an "enchancement" were not done. (kit rebalancing, spell rebalancing for BG1 etc.)
    What has been implemented works, but there is nothing that feels like an actual big improvement over the original. In hindsight I do not think it is worth it's price, if you already own the game.

So...it's fine.

EDIT: Hmm i wanted to vote 5, dunno what went wrong...

There are BG fans would like to buy and pay more money for this classic games's enhanced edition , if developers can do impressive support in the future , i believe they will find more customers from young generation,

I know no matter how developers change the GUI , there are people can't satisfy , becuase original game is too beautiful for all of us , but i think if they really do some impressive work , people will know it and support this project carry on,

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    On release I would've scored lower, but the subsequent patch schedule has been amazing and completely redeemed Overhaul in my eyes. Once all the main bugs have been ironed out, I'll then start looking forward to new features (e.g. switchable weapon sets, avatar changing etc.)

Also very much looking forward to the Mac OS X native version and hope this is kept as up to date as the Windows version I'm running via Bootcamp.
  • Sarevok24Sarevok24 Member Posts: 15
    I like the additions that have been made to the game, particularly the new NPC's, although it's a shame that the graphics were not updated to HD(original artwork was missing so i really cant fault them there), and i have noticed quite a few bugs (although many have been fixed since the updates and i hope that overhaul will be able to keep fixing them), the most annoying of which (for me) to be a BSOD when alt+tabbing to the game from the desktop though this may be a fault of my graphics card/drivers. i have also enjoyed what i have played of the black pits and hope that overhaul can make more DLC available, as new content is currently quite sparse and as i understand overhaul was not allowed to tamper with the original game too much (besides the fact that they are a small company and have a tight budget on the game). overall though, i am happy with this re-release and look forward to the new overhaul games/enhanced editions that will be released in the future.
  • MalbortusMalbortus Member Posts: 106
    Much as I love this game and am convinced that the dev team worked hard on it, the fact remains that multiplayer still does not work well (2+ players, meeting room) and there's no Android version yet. These are announced features.

I'd also have welcomed extra equipment quickslots and extra spell buttons. I'd hoped that the extra UI space from an extended resolution was put to use in the whole UI rework.
    Sarevok24 said:

I like the additions that have been made to the game, particularly the new NPC's, although it's a shame that the graphics were not updated to HD(original artwork was missing so i really cant fault them there), and i have noticed quite a few bugs (although many have been fixed since the updates and i hope that overhaul will be able to keep fixing them), the most annoying of which (for me) to be a BSOD when alt+tabbing to the game from the desktop though this may be a fault of my graphics card/drivers. i have also enjoyed what i have played of the black pits and hope that overhaul can make more DLC available, as new content is currently quite sparse and as i understand overhaul was not allowed to tamper with the original game too much (besides the fact that they are a small company and have a tight budget on the game). overall though, i am happy with this re-release and look forward to the new overhaul games/enhanced editions that will be released in the future.

It sounds like i can't expect Enhanced Graphic Effects very much ... How sad it is..

Even i know Baldur's gate doesn't focus on Graphic , but still hope it become a little bit better..

darrenkuo said:

Sarevok24 said:

It sounds like i can't expect Enhanced Graphic Effects very much ... How sad it is..

Even i know Baldur's gate doesn't focus on Graphic , but still hope it become a little bit better..

Yea I understand where you are coming from, but at the same time of all the things they said they were going to do improving the game (some of which they haven't delivered on) graphics wasn't one of them. The interface certainly, and support for higher resolutions, but not the graphics (sprite models, backgrounds, etc). I think they did improve some of the spell effects. Cloudkill looks better than it did in BG2/IWD2 if I'm not mistaken.
    darrenkuo