Skip to content

Shandyr's Tomb: A place to meet with fellow Necromancers to discuss anything related to Undead.

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited December 2012
    @belgarathmth Yes I know, and it never made sense to me. One of the changes of becoming a vampire is that you have to start seeing humans as nothing more than a meal or you'd go insane with time. Someday I'll write a short story with vampires who are smart predators who know how to blend in human society and not sex crazy teenagers :)
    BelgarathMTHlolien
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @mlnevese, I hear you, but I wouldn't call Anne Rice's vamps "sex crazy teenagers." She writes very adult sexualized vamp fiction, with some really, really dark and twisted scenes.
    mlneveselolien
    edited December 2012
    @belgarathmth I agree with you the first books are great, I've read all of them. But I still don't think a real life vampire, if they existed, would behave like that. I see them as smart predators who know how to blend in society and do not draw attention to themselves. They see humans as food and tools and are unable to empathize with human suffering. They would know how to pretend to have normal human emotions in order to blend with humanity as it would be very hard to be an immortal bloodsucker otherwise. I really would like to know how Lestat will hide the fact he never ages after becoming a Rock Star :)
    BelgarathMTHlolien
    @mlnevese, you make perfectly valid points, of course. But at a certain point, I think we need to say "where's the fun in that"? That is, too much realism in what is supposed to be a fun, entertaining fantasy, is a bad thing.

I'll take sexy vampires like Eric and Bill, or Lestat, or maybe Damien, or even the one that boy Robert Pattinson plays (yeah, I know, serious necromancers please retch in the pail in the other room), over those icky, realistic, neferati type classical vamps with deathly pallor, hairless, bald skin, and hideous ears and yellowing, three-inch long protruding fangs. Yuck.

Although, if I have to go Twilight, I'll take team Jacob, for blue jean shorts and no shirt, please. ("Do you even own a shirt?" LOL) And Alcide before Eric and Bill, please. Arroooooo.
    mlnevese
    @belgarathmth heheheh I see it as hard sci-fi. I'd like to see a hard vampire novel for a change where the protagonist is a cold calculating predator who uses humans as tools and pretend to be normal. A Hannibal Lector vampire so to speak.

An interesting idea would be a story that starts as the modern twilight wannabes and slowly the human main character realizes his/her vampire love interest is actually a monster. The end would be tragic, of course :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    mlneveselolien
  • eltonbarreleltonbarrel Member Posts: 262
    sorry i read this discussion only now.
    if i burn a zombie, technically it becomes a skeleton.....
    maybe a black burned skeleton, a very handsome hot guy.
    lolien
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    mlnevese said:

@belgarathmth I agree with you the first books are great, I've read all of them. But I still don't think a real life vampire, if they existed, would behave like that. I see them as smart predators who know how to blend in society and do not draw attention to themselves. They see humans as food and tools and are unable to empathize with human suffering. They would know how to pretend to have normal human emotions in order to blend with humanity as it would be very hard to be an immortal bloodsucker otherwise. I really would like to know how Lestat will hide the fact he never ages after becoming a Rock Star :)

Why? If a Vampire keeps all his memories from before transformation, if they are sentient undead and have emotions there is no reason why they should suddenly become evil if they weren't before or why they shouldn't try to live together with humans if they are not evil.

If you assume he looses his emotions then he would probably act that way. If the reason for not living together with humans and seeing them as prey because otherwise it would drive him mad he would probably start doing kind of risky stuff to get the prey like an drug addict.

For DnD you should assume the later because they all turn evil after transformation.
    BelgarathMTH
    @Darkcloud, I think that @mlnevese's point was that a vamp who retained that much of his human compassion and capacity for love and desire would go insane from the fact of having to commit horrible, bloody murder every night, forever, and drinking the victims' blood and essence.

He doesn't buy that a vamp who retains his or her human nature could possibly exist like that, and stay sane, unless he or she were a Hannibal Lector style psychopath.

My counterpoint is that the vamp stories are no fun unless we suspend disbelief and let them be sexy superhumans rather than unfeeling monsters.
    mlnevese
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited January 2013
    a zombie becomes a skeleton when the meat it´s munching just falls trough him to the ground i think and it´s appetite for flesh vanish. Erm... and I see that one day luzifer gets his earned praise for being an indipendent mind who did not crawl below his brother´s feet when the vampires tragic story transforms into a modern phenomena of a romance for little girls... sign the contract :D
    edited January 2013
    Basically whatever changed you into a bloodsucking immortal creature would be so deep that I have real doubts it wouldn't rewrite your neural system to see humans as prey. You can have your memories of being human, you can understand their fear intellectually, but you do not empathize with them. Human sociopaths already think this way, I see no reason a true predator wouldn't as well
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    NWN_babaYaga
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    @belgarathmth this would only be the case if you assume, that vampires only need human blood and that they have to kill them in the process.
    edited January 2013
    @Darkcloud, well, I know that the contemporary vamp stories often use that as a plot device to separate the "good" vamps from the "bad" ones. The ones that only eat cattle and rats are universally depicted as flawed and weak as compared to the ones who embrace their predatory nature and eat humans, though. (e.g. Louis for Anne Rice, or Stephan for the Vampire Diaries, Bill for True Blood, and Edward Cullen from Twilight.)

The "bad" vamps who embrace their vampness are seen as flashy, sexy, and powerful. (Lestat, Damien, Eric, any non-Cullen.)

The "flawed" vamps who constantly must repress their craving for human blood are usually front-and-center main characters in these stories, such that this has become a trope.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VegetarianVampire
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RomanticVampireBoy
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OurVampiresAreDifferent

EDIT: I forgot one: Angel vs. Spike. That's five different franchises over the past 15 years that use this trope. People must really be liking the mythology of the good boy/bad boy vamp stories in our times and Zeitgeist. I wonder why?
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited January 2013
    a "vegetarianvampire" yeah and where is the crossdressing vampire or the vampire with bad teeth???
    I heard from a vampire gardener in my neighborhood but he´s now in the mental hospital.
    BelgarathMTH
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    This topic reminds me of @Shandyr every time I browse through the Off-topic section of these forums... I honestly miss him... Wonder if he'll ever come back. :/
    lolien
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    How on earth did I miss this thread?
    CrevsDaaklolien
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Are necrophiliacs welcome too?
    Anduin
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Awong124 said:

nope
    Anduin
    What if the bodies are still warm?
    Anduin
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    BelgarathMTHlolien
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Shandyr I came to this thread (don't ask how) and liked a bunch of comments, I think that Anduin found in the Best of Section.
    Anduin
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    CrevsDaaklolien
    Awong124 said:

At last! A potential love interest on the forum!

*Anduin rearranges his teeth and runs a bone comb through his last remaining hairs*
    Shandyr said:

@Anduin

Anduin said:

How on earth did I miss this thread?

How on earth did you find it this much later?
    I usually navigate through the best of button to get back to my posts...

*Anduin attempts to look cool in front of @Awong124 *

A post from this thread was on top.
    Awong124Mortiannalolien
    @Anduin Ohhh... this is awkward... Sorry bro, still has to be a female corpse. It's not you, it's me. We can still hang out and stuff...
    Anduinlolien
    If I had a heart... You would have broken it.

*Anduin begins to sob*
    Awong124lolien
    There there, there there.
    AnduinMortiannalolien
    @Anduin Polymorph works well :)
    Anduinlolien