Skip to content

[GUI Mod] Archaic GUI for BG:EE

Comments

• DarksheerDarksheer Member Posts: 84
    edited December 2012
    @Archaic - It doesn't seem to be a problem with vanilla version.
    Archaic GUI with big fonts 5.5:

Vanilla (update 5):

And yeah, a full mage party would be best, but I guess Viconia as a cleric isn't too bad. You can never have too many spells. ;D
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    edited December 2012
    @Darksheer - Thanks for answering that question. So it appears that the larger font mod doesn't support dash marks. This seems to be the only character issue. I've been working on a fix for quite a while now with no luck. Overhaul doesn't allow font modification in the override folder which is limiting what I can do to fix the problem. If overhaul would allow font modification I could do a lot more with this font mod including different size options, font types, and modding other font throughout the game.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited December 2012
    mlnevese said:

@jalily Can you confirm if the above is a bug in the game or in the mod?

The game supports these characters, but Near Infinity does not.

Oops, I see this has already been answered.
    edited December 2012
    I would like to explain more about my Larger Font Mod and how it works. BG:EE uses the default font bam called "normal.bam" for the majority of in-game dialog text. This font size is typically too small for people with non-scaled and high resolution settings. So, I started looking into why a font mod has not been created as of yet. You would figure that this is something that would have been addressed fairly soon in the modding community right? It was a pretty popular mod (bigger font mod) for BG2 if you had the widescreen patch. From what I can tell Overhaul has limited our ability to override the normal.bam font with our own custom fonts. What I've done with my "Larger Font Mod" is to edit the .chu file (GUI) to switch the font to another in-game font called "stonebig.bam" which has most of the same characters as normal.bam in a bigger font. It seems that we can switch fonts to other in-game fonts but not use custom fonts. However, there are still some issues with this as the 'dash' (-) character is not present in stonebig.bam thus creating some dialog issues.

Trent Oster responded about the font size of the upcoming BG:EE (July 18 - Pre-release):

"We can increase the font size, but there is a limit to the spaces allowed at each resolution. Our current plan is to allow for small, normal and big font settings. On the big setting, we'll push it as large as we can." - @TrentOster from: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/15739/#Comment_15739

I'm wondering if Overhaul has plans to:

1. Allow modders to create their own custom fonts.
    2. Create their own larger font settings as mentioned by Trent?

Would someone help answer some of these questions please? @Coriander @Jalily @nathan

Thank you. :)
    edited December 2012
    Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has supported Archaic GUI throughout this successful BETA process. My ultimate goal is to strive towards a complete GUI mod with tons of customization options.

Archaic GUI BETA Stats:
    42 Likes
    17.1K Thread views
    638 Comments
    1,214 Downloads

For BETA these numbers a very impressive in my opinion. All smiles! :)
    Post edited by Archaic on
  • cryocorecryocore Member Posts: 121
    I still think Overhaul should hire you. You seem to grasp what the community wants far more than they do.
    Come on @TrentOster and co give Archaic an official title and a job.
    edited December 2012
    @cryocore - Overhaul is doing a great job in my opinion by listening to the community more than most developers. This is their first run at overhauling a BG game and they deserve a great deal of credit and patience on our end. They've proven over and over again that they're standing by their BG:EE release with support and patches. I'm confident that all of our request will be met at some point. Thanks for your feedback. :)
    edited December 2012
    Just playing around with logo ideas...
    Tell me what you think...
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    Do you intend recoloring rest tabs in BETA 6?
    edited December 2012
    @Etamin - "rest tabs"? Do you mean the map screen? Because that is the only major screen left to redesign. If so - I've posted pictures of the map screen redesign for BETA 6 in a recent comment. I intend to redesign all screens as the beta progresses.
    Another Logo Design...
  • AlequeAleque Member Posts: 149
    Imo A+R together is not quite working
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    Archaic said:

@Etamin - "rest tabs"?

Character creating screen, tabs in Record, chapters screens etc. Everywhere where is still old, blue color.

edited December 2012
    @Aleque - Thanks for your opinion. I completely disagree... :)

Update - I do see what you're saying and tried to find a better way to blend the A+R together... see image below.
    edited December 2012
    @Etamin - Please have some patients - as I stated its coming. Quality takes time... "Major" screens on the left gui will be complete for BETA 6 and a few smaller screens like: item screen (inventory), buy/sell screen (store) and maybe more. I cannot push them all out in one update - I'm only one person and already putting in a crazy amount of hours into this mod.
  • FelixKahFelixKah Member Posts: 18
    edited December 2012
    Archaic, not only do you have a good taste in your GUI, but also in your character. You nearly have the same character as I have. Same class, same gender, same color, same portrait :)
    @FelixKah - Well thats just cool. Thank you. :)
    edited December 2012
    Still playing around with the colors but I think its progress...
    New front page graphics/setup - let me know what you think.
  • MurrayConfederacyMurrayConfederacy Member Posts: 188
    @Archaic... How long has it taken you to do all this? I really must commend on your work, I can surely say that it is greatly appreciated by at least me.
    edited December 2012
    @MurrayConfederacy - I'm a graphic/web designer by day and I really enjoy doing it. I put in a few hours each day and it definitely adds up. BG changed the way I looked at video games. It was one of the first RPG games I was exposed to and I became immediately hooked. Just being able to be a part of BG in some sort of way is simply amazing. I appreciate your kind words.
  • KazugaKazuga Member Posts: 38
    I like it, rly cool.
  • neoespritneoesprit Member Posts: 196
    I like the new start screen but I have to say I'm not sure about the logo placed here. It's a little too big for my taste, maybe you could make it smaller and place it in a corner ? Otherwise your logo is quite good. As always, good work =)
    @neoesprit - Its not final yet but so far I'm pretty happy with the size and location. Did you see the size of the BGEE logo that was previously there? It was about 5X the size. I think this is an improvement and step in the right direction. Thanks for your feedback.
    Help me name the dragon main menu I shared above... Any ideas or suggestions? Something creative please...
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Name suggestions, huh... "Acid-Proof" or "Clockwork" perhaps?

Love the selection you've made, as well as your artistic Logo design btw! :D
    edited December 2012
    @Kamigoroshi - Thanks for the suggestions. The logo designed worked out perfectly. Beta 6 is going to have more customization options including: main menu, start screen, and inventory. Plus don't forget the silver-blue button set. :)
  • neoespritneoesprit Member Posts: 196
    why not just : Archaic Start menu ^^
    @neoesprit - First of its the Main Menu not the start menu and second because all main menus are going to have the Archaic logo now with a different background graphics. :)
This discussion has been closed.