Skip to content

****** SPOILERS ********* "The Stuff"

14567810»

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    No, playing the Black Pits is not necessary to be able to recruit Baeloth. Your impression is correct)))

As it was previously said:

To all seeing problems with Baeloth showing up:

Is your main character Level 5 or higher in at least one class?

If it is not, the cut scene will not happen.
    If it is, try the following:
    Enable Debug Mode
    If you aren't already there, go to Larswood
    Move near the location 1873,3035 (Press "Ctrl-X" to find out your current location)
    If you don't see the cutscene at this point, do the following:
    Type Ctrl-Space, then CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("BA_START_SCENE","AR2900"), then Enter
    Type Ctrl-Space, then CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("BAINVI", "GLOBAL"), then Enter

Tell us what values you are seeing for these two variables. Post a save game if you can.

To see if you can force the scene, do the following:
    Type Ctrl-Space, then CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("BA_START_SCENE","AR2900",0) then Enter
    Type Ctrl-Space, then CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("BAINVI", "GLOBAL",0) then Enter

• CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Actually, we don't need the investigation stuff any more - the problem has been solved and the update will be included in the next patch. For now you can use the patch that I've posted in this thread.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited January 2013
    @Straylight: Actually, you may want to do the Black Pits first - Baeloth's appearance in the main storyline happens after the conclusion of TBP. It's not mandatory, but he'll make specific references to the Pits' storyline. :)
    Just to clarify: there is no in game connection between the two. You can play them with different characters, and in fact unless you are playing in multiplayer mode, you can't take a character from the Black Pits to the main game. There is just a text reference / story continuity in Baeloth's dialog that makes more sense if you've played the Black Pits.
  • SkydogSkydog Member Posts: 111
    Does Baeloth's ring function as per its description?
  • VittordeVittoVittordeVitto Member Posts: 225
    Arcalian said:

Anyone got any Let's play/youtube footage of him yet? (Not from Black Pits, obviously.)

Pls ?

=(
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited January 2013
    @Skydog Nope! It doesn't give him any extra spells or castings.

But it does do something. :D

You can activate it for the following effects:
    - 32% chance of doing 1 fire damage to Baeloth. If this happens, there is a 37.5% chance a fire agate gem appeared in his inventory.
    - 33% chance of doing 1d2 electrical damage to Baeloth. If this happens, there is a 36.4% chance a turquoise gem appeared in his inventory.
    - 66% chance of doing 1d2 cold damage to Baeloth. If this happens, there is an 18.2% chance a lynx eye gem appeared in his inventory.

At most one gem is created per activation, and cold and electrical damage will never happen at the same time.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    aldain said:

shawne said:

Bercon said:

Personally I find it annoying that NPC casters are so much stronger than charname can ever hope to be.

Makes perfect sense to me: your PC is just out of Candlekeep, at the very start of his or her journey. Edwin and Baeloth have been around for much longer, and have far greater expertise with magic than you could possibly have (at least at the point where you actually meet them).
    Except your PC will never be better than Edwin or Baeloth at magic, no matter what he does. This earth-shattering magical experience they gathered (in Edwin's case, apparently without even advancing past level 1...) is something your spellcasting PC can never hope to replicate. It's essentially a kick in the teeth for any mage or sorcerer PC.
    Sounds good to me. I get sick of people bragging on how "MY PC IS DAH BEST LOLOLOL!!!11" ... encourages these power-gaming braggarts* to pick up NPCs and shut their pie hole.

*I power-game too but you don't see me bragging about it >_> I'm ashamed if anything
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    Got him, thanks to Cerevant's patch. Bye bye, Neera!
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Bhaaldog said:

Regarding Edwin and Baeloth I think a multi-class cleric/mage would give them a run for their gold...

Xzar sure does. Aerie, maybe from a power-of-annoyance point of view.

• Bhaaldog said:

Regarding Edwin and Baeloth I think a multi-class cleric/mage would give them a run for their gold...

Xzar sure does. Aerie, maybe from a power-of-annoyance point of view.
    The power of wangst compels you!

(Warning: Link proceeds to TVTropes.org. I assume no responsibility for lost hours of your life as a result of following said link)
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I spend up to 47 hours per day on TVTropes anyway.

I have a very low whining tolerance, so Aerie is pretty much my arch nemesis in the series.
  • OmnicronOmnicron Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone

I was playing a game going solo with a Chaotic Good Bounty Hunter. Shortly after completing the Nashkal Mines I went to the Larswood and then Baeloth spawned near the tower in the south of the map area and joined my party. Level 6 Sorcerrer with a Robe of the Evil Archmagi. I went back with the party I used to finish the game and have tried to recreate the circumstances which spawned him, but with no luck. I was hoping to put him in my evil party but just not sure what I need to do to make him spawn with my other characters. Has this happened to anyone else?
  • 5th level or higher you must be I think
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    In addition to Nitram's point, there is currently a bug that sometimes stops him spawning in games that are post Bandit Camp. This will be fixed in the next patch. If you are on PC you can trigger the event via the CLUA console.
  • OmnicronOmnicron Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    great! thank you so much. That explains why my other party could not trigger him despite being level 8. Maybe I will solo a bit with my main character in my evil party till lvl 5 and then pick them all up again :)
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited February 2013
    Yep, the bug AFAIK only affects playtrough started before the latest patch (v2012). This will be fixed in the next patch, but for the time being there is a fix from @Cerevant that can be downloaded from another thread in this forum.

I will try to find it and eventually I'll will post the link here.

Edit: The fix is from @Cerevant and can be downloaded here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/235817/#Comment_235817
  • VittordeVittoVittordeVitto Member Posts: 225
    I finished a run with him, he is, by far, the most impressive NPC i ever met in BG1.

• Herd_ThorvaldsonHerd_Thorvaldson Member Posts: 14
    Weird thing happened :

Downloaded patch
    Picked a game before Larswood
    Level not high enough (3rd) - went farming for exp walking around Larswood, sleeping every 5 sec, killing bandits
    After some time, still on level 3, always during battle, somebody (I assumed Baeloth) started talking through my party members and for my party members, without ever appearing (see pic. attached)
    All his dialog was voiced

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    Edit : Downloaded patch=Installed patch
    @Herd_Thorvaldson - do you (did you) have any mods installed? Are there any files in your override folder?
    edited March 2013
    No mods, all clean
    ELMIN.BCS is in override (appeared after installing the patch)
    edited March 2013
    @Cerevant
    Sorry, turns out that original dialog files were tampered with. Sorted.
    That was my guess - should have been more clear on that point. Glad to hear you worked it out.