Skip to content

Fanart Contest Round III: Ust Natha Portraits (UPDATE: Winners Announced!)

JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
edited March 2013 in Fan Creations
The theme of Round III of Candlekeep's Grand Fanart Contest is Ust Natha portraits! The winner(s) of this round will receive one free copy of BG:EE as well as one free copy of BG2:EE when it is released. In addition, your artwork may be featured in The Candlekeep Library! For a recap of the rules, please see this announcement. You do not need to sign up to participate, but we'd love it if you did.

Note: Participation in prior rounds is not required to participate in this one.

Theme
In Baldur's Gate II, we get to visit the drow city of Ust Natha in the Underdark, and we do so disguised as drow ourselves courtesy of Adalon. However, our portraits remain unaltered which, from a roleplaying perspective, is kinda awkward. For our third round, pick any number of joinable, non-drow NPCs (BG II preferred) and draw an alternate portait in drow disguise for them. If you choose to draw more than one portrait, each one will count as its own, separate submission.

Guidelines
Submissions must retain the style of the original Baldur's Gate portraits and the aspect ratios used in BG:EE. All three sizes should be accounted for (large = 210x330, medium = 169x266, small = 54x84), but higher-resolution portraits are welcome so long so they adhere to the in-game proportions. Please submit entries in BMP format.

Although multiple entries for the same joinable NPC will be accepted, we strongly encourage contestants to offer alternate drow portraits for different NPCs: This way, we may avoid ending up with several entries for popular NPCs and none for the others.

Ending Time
This round will end at 12:00 P.M. CET on March 6th, which is exactly two weeks from now (click the link to see the time and date for your time zone).

Ready? Set? Draw!
Post edited by Jalily on
AndreaColomboAkerhonIsandirSCARY_WIZARDBenjamin_the_Rogue

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    AkerhonIxtabaiRedWizard
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    I've been looking forward to this one... Rather than do a single portrait, I decided to make the whole darn set. I've yet to finish Mazzy, Cernd and Anomen, but I'll have them added soon. In the meantime, I'll post the others.

In order to be true to the FR lore, I followed a few guidelines. First, I used darker ebony skin rather than the light blue/black that Viconia has. Second, all facial hair was removed from the male drow characters. Third, I turned the three short NPCs (Jan, Korgan and soon Mazzy) into duergar, complete with the spiky hair, dull grey skin and grey eyes (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Duergar). Third, I stuck with the muted colors that drow are often seen with. The eyes I allowed to be a range of red, purple and amber, even though red should dominate. Finally, I changed the backgrounds. They're in the Underdark after all, so they shouldn't have the same light backgrounds!

For each of the following, I may also throw in a few notes about the changes I made.
    AedanSophiaFina92
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    For a moment I thought something was wrong with my notifications.

Nice to see it taking off like this :D.
    mlneveseIsandirSCARY_WIZARD
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    Imho Jaheira & Aerie are the best subjects for this portraits, because of somatic traits of the eyes ;)
    Well done @Isandir !!!
    Isandir
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    /#Comment_232389
    Memm said:

The colors are quite good with most of them, but I'd advise you to keep an eye out for the facial features as well. Elves are much more graceful than humans, and thus, if you only change some colors on a human, they still tend to look a lot like humans. To have them appear much more elf-like, you should adjust the chin, cheeks and nose to appear much more graceful.

I Agree... :)

I personally really like this - Example for a Drow priestess of Lolth -
    I posted it here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/232389/#Comment_232389
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Memm said:

The colors are quite good with most of them, but I'd advise you to keep an eye out for the facial features as well. Elves are much more graceful than humans, and thus, if you only change some colors on a human, they still tend to look a lot like humans. To have them appear much more elf-like, you should adjust the chin, cheeks and nose to appear much more graceful. Just my two-cents.
    Also, for this reason, I think that Haer'Dalis is the best one since he looks most elf-ish. (even if he is supposed to be a tiefling)

This.
    Minsc, Keldorn and Valygar still look human, despite the skin tone change.
    However, Jaheira and Aerie look great and I adore Jan Jansen's new look. I am keeping that picture for...I dunno, something, I'll think something up.

(no not that, you pervs, jeez)
    Isandir
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Drugar said:

I adore Jan Jansen's new look.

That is by far my favorite of the early ones as well. Really very well done job of fundamentally transforming him while still being recognizable.
    Isandir
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    @KidCarnival - Original art is always accepted.
    Troodon80SCARY_WIZARDAkerhon
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Thanks, then consider it an entry. :D
    Akerhon
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Bhaaldog said:

No Viconia entries yet? Oh wait hang on...

Acually it would be interesting to see a portrait of Viconia as a surface elf. Even if it's not the contest's theme.
    [Deleted User]SophiaCrevsDaak
    SCARY_WIZARD
    mlnevese
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    This hasn't been an issue for this round yet, but please submit all entries in BMP format. I've added a note to the OP.

I'm seriously impressed by all the entries so far. Looks like this round will be even harder to judge than the last one!
    Isandir