Skip to content

[GUI Mod] Archaic GUI for BG:EE

Comments

• ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    edited May 2013
    @Balquo - I found a fix for the large button radius for BG and BP on the start screen. I played around with some vague settings long enough and sure enough I learned something new. I'm sure what I learned will come in handy later on. Thanks for awesome feedback.
    Archaic Black Pits Main Menu Screen
    I finally found a way to have a separate main menu screen for Baldur's Gate and Black Pits. So now when click black pits on the start screen you won't be taken to Baldur's Gate graphics.
  • Jazzyboy1Jazzyboy1 Member Posts: 6
    Archaic said:

@Jazzyboy1 - Please read over the READ ME.txt file included with the download for troubleshooting. I would recommend using the EzInstaller if you are on a windows computer. What resolution and scaled settings do you have? What options did you select in the installer?

Yes, I've checked the readme file. I haven't installed any other mods. Also, I've tried reinstalling this mod seven times with different locations and settings. Oh and I used the installer file.
    I've tried both the non-scaled setting at my native resolution of '1360x768' and the scaled setting.

Also, I'm on Windows 8 Pro 64-bit and I've got BGEE on Steam.
    edited May 2013
    @Jazzyboy1 - I believe your install path is the issue. If you are using steam as your BGEE client then your Archaic GUI install path for the EzInstaller should be this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\data\00766\override

Try to verify that this file structure exist first. If the 00766 folder or override folder are missing you may have to create them.
  • herb0815herb0815 Member Posts: 3
    @Jazzyboy1

Like you I have a 64-bit system (Windows Vista). From modding JA 2 I know that it can be complicated to mod on a 64-bit system.

Like you, I can´t get this mod to work. But I will inform you if I find a workaround.

For example, in BGEE I can´t use costum portraits by putting them in the override folder. But I found a workaround: You can movethem into the C:\Users\username\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\Portraits folder and they will be used.

@herb0815 - I have windows 8 x64 as well and zero issues modding. My portraits are in the override folder and work just fine.
    Archaic said:

@Jazzyboy1 - I believe your install path is the issue. If you are using steam as your BGEE client then your Archaic GUI install path for the EzInstaller should be this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\data\00766\override

Oh right, yeah I've tried that too. I manually browsed to my install folder and tried both /override and /00766/override.
    edited May 2013
    @Jazzyboy1 - You're going to want to seek out other bgee steam users and see where they are placing mods. I don't have any experience with the steam version, sorry. Try making a thread in the modding section.

Maybe @Kaeloree or @mlnevese might know where to place mods if you have the steam version of bgee?
  • KenzeKenze Member Posts: 27
    edited May 2013
    Jazzyboy1 said:

Hi.

This mod looks great. I've just got one small issue...
    The mod doesn't load at all.

I've looked into it and can't understand why. I've never actually modded this game before but as per usual practice, I've checked .ini settings, tried moving the mod between folders within the 'override' folder, etc.
    However, when I start the game, I've still got the original UI.

Though I'll keep trying, I'm fairly certain the only answer is to ask if you have any ideas? e.g. Is there a step I should have taken before installing the mod?

Jazzyboy1, i see that you said "..tried moving the mod between folders within the 'override' folder"
    there shouldn't be any folders in your override folder only loose files..that may be where your problem is
    edited May 2013
    Agree...
    Kenze said:

@Jazzyboy1, i see that you said "..tried moving the mod between folders within the 'override' folder"
    there shouldn't be any folders in your override folder only loose files..that may be where your problem is

@Arcaic
    Archaic said:

@herb0815 - I have windows 8 x64 as well and zero issues modding. My portraits are in the override folder and work just fine.

Okay, thx for the info. I thought the problem could be, because windows tends to make a backup of ini files in C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\VirtualStore. At least it did that with JA 2 ini files.

Anyway, it seems like steam is causeing the issue, as I have the BGEE steam version myself.

Okay i figured it out, how to install it for the steam version.

1. Open your Baldurs´gate folder. Should be under "Steam\SteamApps\Common"
    2. Make a new folder and rename it override.
    3. Run the EzInstaller
    4. Use the override folder you created as install path

So instead of installing it into \00766\override like you would do with the Archaic Version, you have to create the override folder in your main folder (Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition). To check if you are in right folder check if there is the chitin.key file.

I hope I could help some steam user.
    edited May 2013
    Kenze said:

Jazzyboy1 said:

Hi.

This mod looks great. I've just got one small issue...
    The mod doesn't load at all.

I've looked into it and can't understand why. I've never actually modded this game before but as per usual practice, I've checked .ini settings, tried moving the mod between folders within the 'override' folder, etc.
    However, when I start the game, I've still got the original UI.

Though I'll keep trying, I'm fairly certain the only answer is to ask if you have any ideas? e.g. Is there a step I should have taken before installing the mod?

Jazzyboy1, i see that you said "..tried moving the mod between folders within the 'override' folder"
    As I stated that I tried installing to the '/override' folder, it should be assumed that I tried both the override folder itself AND subfolders. Just saying...

Anyway, 'chitin.key' is in my main folder, yes, herb0815. Unfortunately though, as expected, installing to the main folder doesn't work.

E: Oh, misunderstood herb. Sorry herb. Moving the override folder to the main folder worked! Thank you. :)
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I was going to comment on the lack of quick-select keys (1-6), but I see it's already been added! I am most grateful!
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    You language fix works like charm. Now for me your UI is flawless, Thanks a lot for your support :)
    @herb0815 - Thanks for your help on the steam override folder!
    edited May 2013
    Is there a list some where on the forum showing all of the override folder locations for all devices and BGEE versions?
    Post edited by Archaic on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Archaic Nope. The best instruction that can be given is that the override folder should always be located in the same folder as the chitin.key file.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    congrats on your release. didnt get it yesterday due to heavy traffic for the download but got around to it today and it works perfectly. no problems thus far. you sir should be hired to make the bg2ee ui :)
    What screen(s) do you want to see re-designed next?
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Congratulations on getting stickied!
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    edited May 2013
    I think only left chapters, dreams and charakter creation (+ the main screen with play/update button). Chapters would be good beginning.
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    @Archaic -- Which components won't function without others? Maybe I can reduce my installation to a "minimal" installation to see if that runs, and then build up from there.
    Archaic said:

Is there a list some where on the forum showing all of the override folder locations for all devices and BGEE versions?

It shall be done.
    @Iecerint - "Which components won't function without others?" Do you realize there is around 150 files in the override folder? Asking me to name which components go with what is just not a reasonable request, sorry. You can download a copy of DLTCEP and open up each .CHU file to match up components if you wish.
    edited May 2013
    @joshykins - I want to give you a BIG thank you for the awesome donation. I appreciate your support and kindness. Looks like I'll be heading back to Starbucks, haha. ☻ I didn't realize how much of an impact these donations would be on me. It really makes me feel good about all the time I've invested into this project. Not to mention the added motivation to continue developing it. Thanks again!
  • joshykinsjoshykins Member Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    Archaic said:

@joshykins - I want to give you a BIG thank you for the awesome donation. I appreciate your support and kindness. Looks like I'll be heading back to Starbucks, haha. ☻ I didn't realize how much of an impact these donations would be on me. It really makes me feel good about all the time I've invested into this project. Not to mention the added motivation to continue developing it. Thanks again!

Well I really enjoy your work on this mod so it really is the least I can do. Thanks so much for all of your hard work my friend and let me know if you need testers for any future project or version of the Archaic GUI :D
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    Archaic said:

@Iecerint - "Which components won't function without others?" Do you realize there is around 150 files in the override folder? Asking me to name which components go with what is just not a reasonable request, sorry. You can download a copy of DLTCEP and open up each .CHU file to match up components if you wish.

Yes, there are 151 in my installation, at least. I thought the answer might have been as simple as "prefixes indicate component dependencies" or "all Core components require one another, so that is not an efficient way to troubleshoot."

My intent was to offer to help identify the issue with the iPad implementation.

I guess I'll keep lurking and waiting for the iPad wizards. :p
  • hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136
    Excellent work.
    @Iecerint - I wish there was an easy answer. I'd like to resolve it as well.
This discussion has been closed.