Skip to content

Fanart Contest Round VI: Area Art

JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
This round's theme is area art! The winner(s) of this round will receive one free copy of BG:EE as well as one free copy of BG2:EE when it is released. In addition, your artwork may be featured in The Candlekeep Library! For a recap of the rules, please see this announcement.

Note: Participation in prior rounds is not required to participate in this one.

Theme
Baldur's Gate and its sequel let you explore a wide variety of locations, from a peaceful halfling village to an island of feuding werewolves. This month's theme invites you to draw area art for any in-game location, similar to the pictures of Nashkel, Baldur's Gate, Balduran's ship, and the Friendly Arm Inn that appear in the Enhanced Edition. Want to bring to life the infamous Durlag's Tower? Or the skeleton-infested Undercity with its ominous temple to Bhaal? Now's your chance to do so and possibly win a set of both Enhanced Edition games!

Guidelines
Areas from both games are acceptable subjects, but ones from BG:EE are preferred. Although characters may be included, the focus should be on the area itself.

Submissions must be original work; photomanipulations will not be accepted.

Ending Time
This round will end at 12:00 A.M. CET on June 6th.

Ready? Set? Draw!

AndreaColomboSylphTroodon80serabietSophialolien

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Cuv you didn't answer an important question... do the Borgs assimilate magic? :)
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    well, maybe I will participate to this contest... I'm bad at drawing characters but landscape is ok
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Cuv
    I just adore that screen. It reminds me the Might and Magic saga, where fantasy and technology was one thing. Ah, the Ancients...
    BelgarathMTH
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    I can't unsee this now, but my friend pointed out that the table in the room on the right of the borg ship kinda looks like a green penis thing ¬_¬ why do people do this.
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Glad you like it...

....but someone else post something!!!! Get crackin on that area art! I'll build the winner into an area that works in the game!
    AndreaColomboTroodon80
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Cuv said:

I'll build the winner into an area that works in the game!

Now, that's an interesting idea. Almost makes me wish I wasn't a judge, I could then participate. I could create a nice landscape in Vue, render it, and make it into a map, add a few NPCs and have a nifty story...

It's not to be. Oh well. Back to cleaning, I guesses.
  • SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    Cuv said:

....but someone else post something!!!! Get crackin on that area art! I'll build the winner into an area that works in the game!

I thought the contest was for areas already in the game to begin with ;P
    SCARY_WIZARDSophia
  • kraxkrax Member Posts: 12
    Hey, i'm new to the forum, but a long time fan of the game. I'm really interested in participating in the contest but i'm a little confused about what you ask for. Are you mainly looking for isometric view area art as in the game, or free illustrations of areas(like in the cut scenes of BGEE) ?

Also, how do you define "photomanipulations". For instance, if I were to make a 3d model and render it with textures made out of photographic material, would that be a violation?

Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    That is pretty awesome.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    krax said:

Also, how do you define "photomanipulations".

Very, very loosely.

Eudaemonium
    Ok:)
    I really hope i get time to do this comp, always been a big fan of the area art

Troodon80: why don't you change a few things in it and swossh, you have an entry! I think it's a really cool image
    Troodon80
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    krax said:

Hey, i'm new to the forum, but a long time fan of the game. I'm really interested in participating in the contest but i'm a little confused about what you ask for. Are you mainly looking for isometric view area art as in the game, or free illustrations of areas(like in the cut scenes of BGEE) ?

The latter.
    krax said:

Also, how do you define "photomanipulations". For instance, if I were to make a 3d model and render it with textures made out of photographic material, would that be a violation?

Use of photographic material for anything more than a reference is not allowed.
    krax said:

Ok:)Troodon80: why don't you change a few things in it and swossh, you have an entry! I think it's a really cool image

Because he's part of the jury. :)
    Troodon80AndreaColombololien
    Ahhhh..:)
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @krax, why thank you :). But as Jalily said, I'm part of the jury - the jury, for obvious reasons, can't participate.

If I had any real time to spare, I'd try and do some real Baldur's Gate landscapes and post them; the Friendly Arm Inn, Nashkel, Naskel Mines, the temple next to Beregost, possibly Gullykin, the wooded areas like Larswood and Peldvale, Candlekeep if I could do the modelling well enough. Unfortunately, I don't have that sort of time right now.

Maybe some time in the future.
    If I knew how to use Vue... that rendering looks great !
    edited May 2013
    Expansion? The memo I received said this was the plot of BG3...
    [Deleted User]Troodon80MoomintrollNecdilzor
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Troodon80Syntia13Bestopher
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    Nearly finished - had about 4 projects on my hands xD
    SylphTroodon80
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    Nearly begun - I work best under pressure xD
    SylphTroodon80
    @EntropyXII @Zanian Nobody can defeat the Borg. Resistance is futile. You'll be assimilated ;)

On a more serious note good luck with your entries. Hope to see them soon. :)
    Troodon80EntropyXII
    I've also been working on a picture of cloakwood for a while. If i'm happy with it i'll post it:)
    SylphTroodon80
    That spider's lair is really nice. I immediately recognized it

I'm working on a picture too, nothing very impressive but it's an important area of the game
    Troodon80Sylph