Skip to content

[Announcement] Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition has been temporarily removed from sale.

Comments

• CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited June 2013
    So no WoTC then? Well, in that case there is a slight chance I will still use their products:P

I think the best we can do is just wait and see how this whole situation evolve, any further whinging does not make the problem disappear and I suspect won't help devs to overcome this whole issue.

I've got the impression (correct me if it's overly optimistic) that you're rather sure that you'll overcome this whole contractual difficulties and will be able to release this patch and BG2EE at some point of the future. I didn't see any hints that your'e actually fighting for your *lives* and don't know if you can win this fight after all. As I can see it now, reading all those posts it's very annoying drawback, but it's just a drawback not end of all BG(2)EE franchaise. So I suspect You might have some idea how good are your chances.
    Am I wrong?

EDIT: Btw I cooled down a bit during the night and day and won't be sticking knives in anyone's but anymore. Now my anger transformed into plain sadness. I really enjoyed BGEE - it's zoom/GUI and all those little features, I really did.
  • davendaven Member Posts: 112
    Ayup. Let's just leave them to it, i'm sure Trent and the boys will sort it out.
  • JalisterJalister Member Posts: 146
    Cerevant said:

@Jailster not sure what you would consider "No DRM" - physical media?

If you buy and download the game, you are done. From that point forward you can play the game as much as you want, and copy it to whatever computer you want, burn it to DVD, and never have to log in to Beamdog again. Sorry, no setup.exe, but you don't need one - the game is portable.

*shrug*

I don't consider logging in to a site to download an installer DRM. That is simply protecting something that I purchased. As long as I can use that installer at a later date, on any computer, regardless of internet, then it's not DRM.

If the game is truly portable, then that sounds a lot better. That was never mentioned in our 28 page DRM thread. I haven't followed the mods for this, but I would still prefer an installer so it would be easier to revert back to a clean installation. It wouldn't be hard to backup a clean installation though.

It was already stated by Trent Oster that in the event of the company folding, requirements for any of their HD or Enhanced games for online connectivity, would be removed as a step.

Trent's words may be his true intention, but he cannot guarantee that 100%. There are scenarios that could prevent such a patch. Look at the current situation, they can't even release a patch for a game to the customers that already bought it.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I'll direct the rest of the DRM-related discussion to the DRM thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/2254/drm#latest
    Dee said:

I'll direct the rest of the DRM-related discussion to the DRM thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/2254/drm#latest

I already revived it 10 minutes ago. :)

Thanks for the information though. I do like the idea about it being portable. I'll look into it.

• KurakaiKurakai Member Posts: 18
    I will massacre them. I will f##k them up. I'm talking scorched earth... really need to stop watching Tropic Thunder.

This blows. I was looking forward to playing BG2:EE. Almost finished my BG:EE game (I play co-op with a friend and we both work alot..)
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Jalister said:

I already revived it 10 minutes ago. :)

Why do I suddenly want to re-read Watchmen?
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    One-time online activation is the minimum required for all new PC games nowadays, and has been for about a decade. If that's the line someone wants to draw in the sand, they may well have to give up gaming.

If it doesn't affect your ability to play, I don't see the problem.

Enjoy Minesweeper. Oh, wait, I forgot. Windows requires online activation, too.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    People who've bought the game can still download it and patch it, right?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    You can still download and play the game if it's already in your account, yes. We can't release the patch until this matter is resolved, however.
  • EnnoiaEnnoia Member Posts: 6

I can only assume, but i have a very... sinister assumption.
    I think that Perfect World Entertainment (Abbreviated PWE) is behind the publisher issue. They acquired the rights to develop and publish D&D computer games from Atari when Atari went insolvent in January 2013.

Sorry but source? I am Chinese but I never liked PWE, I know they are doing Neverwinter Online but I don't think they can obtain whole D&D computer games publishing rights, especially "from Atari"——even Atari lost them in 2011, Hasbro/WotC retrieved them.
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    Jalister said:

I would still prefer an installer so it would be easier to revert back to a clean installation. It wouldn't be hard to backup a clean installation though.

Not only can you back it up, but since it's portable, you can easily make your own installer with 7-Zip.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Is work on the project being put on hold, or are releases being put on hold? Basically, you get the legal notices and suddenly no one can do anymore work until the situation is figured out?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

And, oh yes, Hasbro. Could somebody remind me why a toy-making company shares a legal interest in the fate of everyone who loves D&D?

The short version - Gary Gygax founded TSR in 1973 to publish D&D. Wizards of the Coast bought TSR in 1997. Hasbro bought WotC in 1999.
  • valamyrvalamyr Member Posts: 130
    Oh for f*** sake!

The legal culture we live in is a nightmare, and it has no business messing with my fantasy worlds.

What ever happened to just two guys and martinis, splitting the difference in the middle, and just shaking hands on it?
  • junk11junk11 Member Posts: 117
    so that's why inxile and obsidian choose to kickstarter new IE-like games instead of pursuing the copyright first, like wasteland...
    Good luck and work hard, we still need that patch :P
    and thank you for bring BG back
  • SensukiSensuki Member Posts: 19
    Owned.

I am sorry guys but Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition was terrible. The stock game was good enough, and nothing about your version made the game "Enhanced" at all. More like Encumbered edition. BGT is way better than your version.

Yes it was unlucky that you weren't able to get the source art files, and that probably killed all of your plans.

I'm sorry but I really hope you don't get to do a Baldur's Gate 3.
  • ShullfinnShullfinn Member Posts: 12
    Rasekov said:

wtf?

What kind of problem could they(atari, WotC, ... not beamdog) develop at this point in the project? The game has been released for months...

Also, the game is still being sold on steam and Trent didn't mention that platform in the announcement so this kind of points at a problem with beamdog and not the game itself, and that only makes it weirder.

Money. Money would be the problem, as in they are not making any. The game didn't sell as well as expected, and the partner isn't happy, so now there will be legal wrangling until a new agreement is reached. If lawsuits are filed, it could take years...

• CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Ok guys check this update on Kotaku article. Is this means that it's over?
    http://kotaku.com/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-pulled-from-app-store-b-514496494
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Cahir said:

http://kotaku.com/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-pulled-from-app-store-b-514496494

No Trent just confirms that its a contract problem between them and Atari, that work has been halted on the games, and that Overhaul has to find another project to work on in the meantime.
    Cahir said:

"we have to stop work on all Baldur's Gate products" certainly sounds like they're throwing in the towel, doesn't it. :'(
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    Adul said:

The main difference is that way I can back up the installer on my computer and install it 120 years from now when your server is no longer online.

And yes, I do plan to live another 120 years. I'll be a lich and I'll be playing BG:EE on my ancient computer. Provided we ever get a DRM-free version.

1. Install 7-zip
    2. Right Click on the installation folder
    3. Select the 7-zip sub menu
    3. Choose the option that says add to archive...
    4. Copy the archived folder to your backup media
    5. When you feel like playing again some time in the future unzip ther archive.
    6. Browse to the baldur.exe executable (it is located in a data subdirectory and possibly a another subfolder - posting from my phone so I will confirm when at home tonight the exact folder name
    7. Play the game.
    8. Note the above will bypass the bgee.exe .net executable so it won't check for updates to the game.

The above works and is atleast currently also a method for us running Linux as our main OS's to run the game until hopefully maybe someday in the future we get a a native Linux client (atleast Project Eternity will be releasing native Linux client - cannot wait for it!)
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    Cahir said:

"Atari continues to sell the game through their channels."

So Beamdog is not allowed to sell their own game but Atari can :( It's just wrong...
    lefreut said:

So Beamdog is not allowed to sell their own game but Atari can :( It's just wrong...

Welcome to capitalism, my friend. Aint it grand?
This discussion has been closed.