Skip to content

[Announcement] Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition has been temporarily removed from sale.

Comments

• Google_CalasadeGoogle_Calasade Member Posts: 80
    I pray that everything stays as is. Were Bethseda to get their hands on BG, I'd be extremely worried. If Bioware were to re-obtain the IP, I think I'd just about die with depression. Bioware has mucked up enough things as it is. They need to keep their action-rpg asses away from BG.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    It's just too bad beamdog isn't a much wealthier company that could just buy all the rights themselves...
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    @Malicron - Ninja'd this on the previous page ;)
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I might be wrong, but I don't think Kickstarter would let Beamdog raise money through them for buying an already existing IP. As far as I know, Kickstarter only lets you finance new projects, and you'd really need to stretch the meaning of "project" for it to include the act of buying out the publishing rights of an already existing game franchise.
    edited June 2013
    @Illydth Awesome post, but I think TSR was bought out by WotC in '97. I think BG1 was produced in 97-98, and started as a TSR project, which is the reason why they still had the TSR logo on it at release.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641

Chow said:

For whatever reason, their publisher, Atari, prohibits them to do so. Hence no patch release.

The bigger the company, it seems, the less clue they have on how to run things. I hope Beamdog manages to convince them otherwise.
    Yep. Doing crap like this is the reason Atari is in the trouble they are in right now. I mean they were making money from this game (even when purchased from the Beamdog site). They were going to make money on BG2 EE. Why shut down both games but still continue to sell it on Steam? Smells of management incompetence, but you know I should have expected as much. I have always HATED Atari, probably even more than I hate EA.
    Um, Glass half full perspective (I hate these but I believe this is at least a possibility):

Atari owns the license to BG/E-D&D. There's no legal problem for Atari to continue selling a game it owns full rights/ownership to.

Beamdog owns NOTHING in this process. If they keep selling a game they do NOT own the rights to (only an agreement with a company that no longer is solvent) that is a legal problem.

That would be why the Steam version is still for sale while beamdog's version is not.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    That doesn't make it any less unfair bullshit.
  • VortakaVortaka Member Posts: 173
    edited June 2013
    Well, actually, if it's what's happening, it would make sense... Great detective work people!
    @Illydth Oh I see, that makes sense. Thanks!
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    All the best to the development team. I hope you can take care of yourself so long as the project is on hold and hopefully you can find some other activities to generate income in the meantime.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited June 2013
    If everything goes to hell, perhaps Overhaul/Beamdog could do a new Infinity Engine(ish) RPG with a custom ruleset or one based on i.e. Pathfinder, perhaps even with a similar story to Baldur's Gate.

What also could be cool were an InfinityEngine(ish) Module Editor (something like the Aurora/Electron Toolset for NWN1/2), this could truly enhance a game's longevity (and with today's bandwidth speeds, transferring art assets and collision maps is not a problem on the fly in MP).

Yet still I have hope. For where Chaotic Evil is, Lawful Good will be near.

P.S.:
    Did you know that the entire Diablo 2 team was fired? What did they do? They formed Runic Games and made Torchlight 1 and 2, the spiritual successor to Diablo and were successful. Torchlight 2 is even considered the best alternative to Diablo 3.

Another known example is Iron Lore, Iron Lore died with Titan Quest, but the devs went on, founded their own company and are working as Crate Entertainment on an ARPG named Grim Dawn.

A similar step is actually (IMHO) possible for Overhaul/Beamdog, too. And when financial questions arise but the enthusiasm is great, then Kickstarter is also a step to consider.

Or what about a Free2Play (NO Pay2Win! I dare ya!) persistant world/MMO, for which the engine was originally intended? ;)

TL;DR:
    It is NOT over for Beamdog/Overhaul. There are ways for them to continue. If not the original way, then via a spiritual successor. And whichever path they may choose, I wish all the best for them on their way, but just don't give up.
    Post edited by AendaeronBluescale on
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    As per Trent's note to Kotaku, the development team is looking into other projects so we don't all starve to death before this is all resolved.

That is all.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Will you accept donations?
  • solodsolod Member Posts: 58
    edited June 2013
    I know that WOTC has probably nothing to do with this mess but I noticed this on their upcoming product listings:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/45370000

I don't think WOTC has ever released RPG products with Baldur's Gate in the title.

Maybe I'm reading into this too much...
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Coriander/et. al. for the dev staff:

Are you guys making anything off of the Atari/Steam sales?

I ask because I'm pretty sure the community here would be happy to either continue purchasing at the steam store to help you guys out and/or to hold their purchase till this all gets over with...based upon whether or not you're all getting funded through steam or not.

Is there anything the community can do in the mean time?
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited June 2013
    Chow said:

Will you accept donations?

I wouldn't mind something like that. We could pay a "donation" and then receive however many copies of BG2:EE the amount covers at the time of release.

Or, you know, we could send them crates full of cupcakes - as happened to BioWare/EA. Only in this case, it would be in appreciation rather than wanting a different ending to a video game. <.<

It's probably not healthy to have cupcakes for the three main meals of the day, but who cares about health so long as you're not hungry?

I am mostly joking, although the similar-to-pre-order-but-not-technically-pre-order deal sounds nice in theory. Not so good in practice. I have really wanted a donate button on this site for some time, though.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Are you thinking Icewind Dale? Or is that out of reach for now?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    solod said:

I know that WOTC has probably nothing to do with this mess but I noticed this on their upcoming product listings:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/45370000

I don't think WOTC has ever released RPG products with Baldur's Gate in the title.

Maybe I'm reading into this too much...

The thumbnail of the module cover is too small to be 100% certain, but that sure looks like Coran on the left.
  • lDanielHolmlDanielHolm Member Posts: 225
    Illydth said:

2) The Intellectual Property rights for the Electronic Version of Dungeons and Dragons passed from Infinity/Black Isle to Atari.

Not quite; on August 15, 2011, the digital licensing rights for D&D were returned to Hasbro as part of a settlement between them and Atari, though Atari continued to develop and market several games under license from Hasbro.

The exact legal situation regarding Baldur's Gate is an absolute mess. As far as I can tell, Atari only kept the distribution rights to Baldur's Gate.

Baldur's Gate is part of the Forgotten Realms campaign setting. Any product which simply includes the name in the title does not necessarily have anything to do with the computer game series. The linked-to adventure module is a pen-and-paper product.

The actual intellectual property for Dungeons and Dragons have always been owned by TSR/Wizards of the Coast, by the way -- what the various companies have had were digital licensing rights.
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    The Beamdawgers were hard working problem solving defenders of the universe those who oppose them and their rule are vile worshipers of sullen shar and no doubt went on a killing spree slaying all the paladins and temple guards in the the church district and then followed up by slaughtering all the animals and pub drinkers in Wakeens Promenade before leaving the area forever and going to the Elf Home Battle to Save them from the invaders.

I realize some of them are sworn to Cyric and do indeed rave and threaten at the grocery store. But, that is only after 20 hour crunch time days of perfecting the script of the Ruler of All Tiax.

We can all only hope they are able to make some gold before this heresy is resolved. Maybe they can try a mobile turnip sales cart and illegal flasher sales. I hate the IRS and the huge evil companies that wreck our world (even though I work for various governments and the military industrial complex on a few tours- your tax dollars at work - and yes I still think the rebels I trained are better than the kid killing army) but I always retire back to my mountain earth bag rpg proof hold fast in Montana and give some money to the poor too.... so I would describe my self as Chaotic Neutral rather than Neutral Evil which is the alignment of Atari....
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Coriander said:

As per Trent's note to Kotaku, the development team is looking into other projects so we don't all starve to death before this is all resolved.

That is all.

If I send you guys a pizza, will you keep working in BG2:EE instead?
  • GoddardGoddard Member Posts: 134
    edited June 2013
    Fuck the damn publishers!!!! Stop screwing up my good memories with your petty crap.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The delivery charge will kill you, though. :)
  • PaulgPaulg Member Posts: 115
    make a donations page or somthin, id pull some overtime at work to throw your way. im just sayin, if u can get 10,000 people donating 10$, thats gotta start counting for somthin. i just love this game, and i want more of it. if i win the lottery im throwing whatever you'd need to keep it going.
This discussion has been closed.