Skip to content

[Announcement] Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition has been temporarily removed from sale.

Comments

• mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Chow said:

Will you accept donations?

Troodon80 said:

Chow said:

Will you accept donations?

I wouldn't mind something like that. We could pay a "donation" and then receive however many copies of BG2:EE the amount covers at the time of release.

Or, you know, we could send them crates full of cupcakes - as happened to BioWare/EA. Only in this case, it would be in appreciation rather than wanting a different ending to a video game. <.<

It's probably not healthy to have cupcakes for the three main meals of the day, but who cares about health so long as you're not hungry?

I am mostly joking, although the similar-to-pre-order-but-not-technically-pre-order deal sounds nice in theory. Not so good in practice. I have really wanted a donate button on this site for some time, though.
    Paulg said:

make a donations page or somthin, id pull some overtime at work to throw your way. im just sayin, if u can get 10,000 people donating 10$, thats gotta start counting for somthin. i just love this game, and i want more of it. if i win the lottery im throwing whatever you'd need to keep it going.

I second this. I would give donations to help you guys out.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    But a donations page might be a little too...I don't know, begging for help. Just disguise the donations page as something other than a donations page. Maybe entitle it something precocious, like "Down With Stupid Legal Mumbo-Jumbo" Page.
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    Devs: Have you guys thought about starting from scratch with a game based on the infinity engine? Something similar to Project Eternity, but keeping it old school? I'd still say set it in the Forgotten Realms but as with BG that won't be possible. The top down RPG is returning! Shadowrun Returns, PE - Game's are reverting to their once great ways!

If you guys ever do decide to go this route I would happily help fund a kickstarter.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Son_of_Imoen

The reason that EA and Atari are involved at least is because when Bioware was purchased by EA, also bought their name and things associated with it (BG, KoTOR, DA come to mind). The reason for Atari is that TSR was bought by Wizards of the Coast, who then turned around and gave Atari the licensing rights to D&D based games.

Sorry for not seeing if you got a reply yet. I'm only on page 6 and need to head to bed shortly but I thought I'd post here before I forgot.
  • GotNoUsernameGotNoUsername Member Posts: 49
    edited June 2013
    Well this means( The Quote), it is a major issue and can't be solves easily I doubt BG2EE or BG3 will be available soon or at all. Some information on this subject other than "we try to solve it" would be nice.
    What exactly happen and where is the construction mistake that this could happen in the first place.

Good luck to all you dev's and may BG not put to rest one more time.
    Coriander said:

As per Trent's note to Kotaku, the development team is looking into other projects so we don't all starve to death before this is all resolved.

That is all.

• ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    this is depressing, i hope this problem can be solved, i have so much faith in BG3 or a new infinity engine trilogy game or an IWD EE, so many things could be done for the next 10 years!!! BG EE is just the begining!!!
  • RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    No matter what happens with the licensing to the Baldur's Gate series, I would like to see Overhaul/Beamdog persevere. Obviously a positive result in regard to the licensing would be best. Nevertheless, if the worst should come to pass and the rights are sold off to the highest bidder, then perhaps it may signal the time to pursue a fresh IP in the vein of classic titles from yesteryear, such as Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. There is definitely a market for it. Many of us are tired of military first person shooters. We're neither impressed with the innovation of the futuristic military first person shooter. More of us yawn at the efforts of Skyrim, and Dragon Age to recreate the magic within the fantasy realms. Nothing quite captured the essence of a group adventuring as those infinity engine games.

The Overhaul team have all of the necessary traits in place that in turn generates loyalty from the consumer, who then become fans. It would be a shame to lose their passion and their drive. So, if we see a negative result, and the team want to try to continue, and have ideas for a fresh IP, then I would like to believe this community would offer support in the way of Kickstarter, were it required.

That's if things don't work out as we'd like! Honestly, we're all pulling for an outcome that sees the green light lit so the revival of Baldur's Gate can continue.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    edited June 2013
    I would still think the original was the best, at least appearance-wise, if not for the incredibly low resolution and lack of widescreen.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited June 2013
    @Quartz Vanilla BG1 FOR THE WIN.

I'm not a big fan of BG:EE either, but the only thing it lacks is BG1 animations :p, other than that it's better than BGT.

So go vanilla Entropy, the original experience is always something else, or i'm just hopelessly romantic.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Whatever you guys do, please just do something awesome, we're still all watching :)
  • MunchkinXQMunchkinXQ Member Posts: 25
    Should I click on the URL above....
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806

@Son_of_Imoen

The reason that EA and Atari are involved at least is because when Bioware was purchased by EA, also bought their name and things associated with it (BG, KoTOR, DA come to mind). The reason for Atari is that TSR was bought by Wizards of the Coast, who then turned around and gave Atari the licensing rights to D&D based games.

Sorry for not seeing if you got a reply yet. I'm only on page 6 and need to head to bed shortly but I thought I'd post here before I forgot.

Thanks for replying. There have been several long posts in the meantime going into the judicial matter, both how the IP came to be distributed over several parties and insightful speculation on what wranglings might be involved, now Atari has gone bankrupt. A thanks to everyone who did so, while it's still morally incomprehensible, at least I can comprehend it intellectually now.
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    @Quartz - played it vanilla a number of times. Don't get me wrong I completely agree with you - I am beginning to like the sound of some simple mods though - rogue rebalancing, assassinations look like fun, good additions.

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    So, any news about this stuff? The project is still freeze or not?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It's only been four days or so. It's going to take a little while before we know anything.
  • morehousemorehouse Member Posts: 20
    Before I start complaining first I should say that I really like EE and appreciate the work the devs have done on it. Also, I totally understand why they would put work on EE2 on hold if they are in a situation where they are unsure of their financial future with the project.

However, I do not understand why this prevents me from getting a patch that will fix some of the glaring bugs that makes the game difficult to play. The patch is a correction of something I have already paid full price for. When I bought the game I did so with the understanding that my 20 dollars would go towards a product that would be at least nearly complete, and that any errors would be soon corrected. Considering that the last patch actually ADDED bugs, in a sense I now have a worse product than the one I originally paid for. So to end my little rant, I feel like I am owed at the very least bug fixes that make the game I already paid for complete and playable, if not the extra features like the new kits and things like that.
  • guciomirguciomir Member Posts: 13
    Morehouse, there are a lot of "i"s in your little rant ;) I guess customers are not really a side in this conflict, we only take collateral damage so what you or I feel , does not have any value. I have 3 theories why we can't get patch:

1. When "publisher issues" become real, cash flow stopped and Beamdog will not be able to pay salaries. As people will not work for free, nobody will finish patch.
    2. Atari says "you can't sell the game but we will keep doing it and you will get no cash, we are evil haha" . Beamdog says "patch is ready but we will not release it so you Atari make cash out of it".
    3. Atari says "you have no right to release any patch or touch BG in any way, if you try our lawyers will kill your company".

For me 1 or 3 sounds most likely.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704

morehouse said:

Before I start complaining first I should say that I really like EE and appreciate the work the devs have done on it. Also, I totally understand why they would put work on EE2 on hold if they are in a situation where they are unsure of their financial future with the project.

However, I do not understand why this prevents me from getting a patch that will fix some of the glaring bugs that makes the game difficult to play. The patch is a correction of something I have already paid full price for. When I bought the game I did so with the understanding that my 20 dollars would go towards a product that would be at least nearly complete, and that any errors would be soon corrected. Considering that the last patch actually ADDED bugs, in a sense I now have a worse product than the one I originally paid for. So to end my little rant, I feel like I am owed at the very least bug fixes that make the game I already paid for complete and playable, if not the extra features like the new kits and things like that.

@morehouse, this smells like some "cease & desist" action going on up in here, so Beamdog's hands really are tied. They can't do ANYTHING with BG:EE until everything is resolved, not even release a patch that is anywhere from 80%-99.999% complete. They also can't say anything as to what is going on, because (obviously) legal-type maneuvers are in progress.

Totally feel you on your rant, but Beamdog isn't at all to blame. Blame the corporate vultures who are bugging Beamdog for a cut of money they totally don't deserve.

Also, don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.
    Well... if that's the issue and if it's a Order attempt rather than a letter then, if possible, seize the opportunity and make a counterclaim for contract review in the "no change on old content" in whichever be the country/state in which this sue is going on. Let's make something useful from this problem :).

Ps: Dafuq is kodos @Sixheadeddog? Give a try on google to find what's about it and i believe that your reference wasn't for the simpsons aliens!

http://pt.simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Kang_e_Kodos
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    I'm fairly sure he was referencing the Simpsons. That's the last line in one of the Halloween specials.
  • BorsookBorsook Member Posts: 152
    BG:EE is still on steam, and no signs of disappearing from there... So if a patch is ready maybe it could be pushed there? If all goes well and the game comes back to beamdog at least it will get some more testing :)
  • morehousemorehouse Member Posts: 20
    Regardless of who's fault it is, if the patch is never released there is just no way I could ever by a game from Overhaul/Beamdog again. If I bought a car that turned out to have engine parts missing, and the salesman tells me "Due to legal issues I can't fix the mistakes made in our factory," I'm not going back to that dealership.

If they are able to patch the game, they might be wise to do so even without any hope of payment for further sales, because leaving a game that has been bought and paid for just sitting there broken is not good for their reputation. If they are prevented from even touching the game, that is too bad, but the damage to their reputation unfortunately still applies. They sold the game, the game doesn't work, they didn't fix it. Whoever is at fault, it just plain doesn't look good or inspire any confidence in the developers.

I do not say any of this out of spite or a desire to belittle the people that have worked so hard on this game. I fully understand that this could be a result of circumstances outside of their control. I do want them to know, however, that they will have permanently lost a customer if this is not resolved.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    morehouse said:

I do not say any of this out of spite or a desire to belittle the people that have worked so hard on this game. I fully understand that this could be a result of circumstances outside of their control. I do want them to know, however, that they will have permanently lost a customer if this is not resolved.

Don't blame them, blame their publisher - Atari.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Wikkid_SuhnWikkid_Suhn Member Posts: 136
    morehouse said:

Regardless of who's fault it is, if the patch is never released there is just no way I could ever by a game from Overhaul/Beamdog again.

Agreed, but we will not know anything for several weeks (at least) by my guess. Beamdog's heart is in the right place, so I am willing to not make passive threats for the time being. In a worst case scenario, we would probably still get an "unofficial" patch.

This discussion has been closed.