Skip to content

Have you ever tried to kill Drizzt?

Comments

• BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    edited June 2013
    kamuizin said:

So long as my PC is not of good alignment, Drizzt must die.

I mean, he's a *Drow* elf! Just because he *claims* to be Drizzt doesn't mean he is. Drow are notorious liars. Best to be safe!

News Flash: Drizzt is the only drow with violet colored eyes! Drow normally have black or red colored eyes!

What is only visible if he's using the infra-red spectrum heat vision (infravision), what doesn't happens in the open sky for a drow (his pupils are violet also, but that can be hard to see without getting near enough to check).

Drows can see very well with a minimum source of light, they only use infravision when there's no light.

It's viable to not believe him, and it's viable to a low wis character to have no knowledge about Drizzt, specially if we're from Candlekeep, south of Baldur's Gate and not a bit near Icewind Dale where Drizzt is more reknowed.

It isn't viable, because even though your PC has never been outside Candlekeep, his/her wisdom should have expanded being educated under Gorion, especially since the narrator said at the beginning of the game that Gorion has told your PC many stories about many "heroes, lovers, and infedels" and such. Drizzt could be one of those heroes in Gorion's tales, even though Ten Towns is miles away from Candlekeep, and can be a great lesson to teach the PC that you can be destined to do great deeds no matter where you came from or who you are. The heroics of a hero doesn't always stay local. Travelers can hear about it and spread the deeds of the hero to his/her hometown.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited June 2013

Yeah, I'm sure CHARNAME knows of Drizzt before leaving Candlekeep. :) The guards do like to talk about beating him with one arm tied. XD

Also you can't dispute the fact that the PC knows of Drizzt when in the Catacombs of Candlekeep, the PC has the option of telling Elminster, Gorion and Tethtoril (who are actually doppelgangers) this:

"You are no more Elminster than I am Drizzt the drow!" or something like that. That means the PC meeting Drizzt before or after Chapter 6 is completely debatable, so it's safer to say the PC knew of Drizzt before leaving Candlekeep.

Post edited by BladeDancer on
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    In Bg2, I love using my new toy from the underdark (mindflayer control circlet) on Drizzt's. Although I can annihilate his party with ease, I like turning Drizzt against his friends. He does a fine job butchering his former companions into chunks.
    QuartzAedanaqzinaFredjo
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    kmfdm said:

Surely an imposter, the real Drizzt has his cat with him and don't ask strangers for help with a few gnolls. He is fake and deserves to die. Who knows maybe it's Entreri in disguise.

Ooo! He could be a Greater Doppelganger disguised as Artemis Entreri disguised as Drizzt!!!

It all makes sense now!

MalicronWolkFredjoCrevsDaak
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited June 2013
    The problem is you're pushing so many assumptions @BladeDancer, to make vanilla something that simply isn't vanilla.

You gave the proper answer to your own statement when you said that chapter 6, the reference PC make to Drizzt can (or not) be based on his/her previous meeting with the drow.

I believe the main issue with drows is that ppl simply can't see them as they are in reason of they being so nice and cool to play with or read about. Let's make an comparison, it's not literal but maybe we can contextualize the fear and distrust that Faerun People (and even underdark beings) have against Drows.

"Drows = Nazis".

I - Drows are elegand and beautiful = Nazis are normally blonde blue eyed persons and as happens with most of the North of Europe (germany in this moment), any blonde blue eyed girl with a pretty body will be seen with favorable eyes in many places.

II - Drows are cruel, xenophobic, sadists, and treacherous = Does i have to say the obvious?

III - Drows are smart, efficient, and powerful = Nazis too.

Meet a drow in the outside normally means to die, or to be captured, tortured and die slowly after that. People doesn't ask questions first with drows, a drow surrounded by gnolls is more probally leading them than fighting them.

Besides, drows cheat a lot, and try to fool others to their doom isn't uncommon to a drow.

But, most of all, drows are aknowledge as magical creatures, and change an eye color isn't something too hard to do with magic.
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    My fights with Drizzt usually go like this.
    " Don't poke Drizzt. 'Tis entirely unsociable."
    *poke*
    *entire party chunked*
    MalicronQuartzlolienCrevsDaak
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited June 2013
    One thing I will say, even if Drizzt had a unique eye color... I'd imagine it wouldn't exactly be easy to check as he's fighting a bunch of Gnolls... and if you don't agree to help he kind of throws threats at you... Threats from a drow are a good enough reason to attack in my opinion.

Even he himself agrees with that in BG2... But his friends kind of want you dead.
    kamuizin said:

The problem is you're pushing so many assumptions @BladeDancer, to make vanilla something that simply isn't vanilla.

You gave the proper answer to your own statement when you said that chapter 6, the reference PC make to Drizzt can (or not) be based on his/her previous meeting with the drow.

I believe the main issue with drows is that ppl simply can't see them as they are in reason of they being so nice and cool to play with or read about. Let's make an comparison, it's not literal but maybe we can contextualize the fear and distrust that Faerun People (and even underdark beings) have against Drows.

"Drows = Nazis".

I - Drows are elegand and beautiful = Nazis are normally blonde blue eyed persons and as happens with most of the North of Europe (germany in this moment), any blonde blue eyed girl with a pretty body will be seen with favorable eyes in many places.

II - Drows are cruel, xenophobic, sadists, and treacherous = Does i have to say the obvious?

III - Drows are smart, efficient, and powerful = Nazis too.

Meet a drow in the outside normally means to die, or to be captured, tortured and die slowly after that. People doesn't ask questions first with drows, a drow surrounded by gnolls is more probally leading them than fighting them.

Besides, drows cheat a lot, and try to fool others to their doom isn't uncommon to a drow.

But, most of all, drows are aknowledge as magical creatures, and change an eye color isn't something too hard to do with magic.

In general, yes, but are you going to be a victim of stereotypes? Drow weren't always like Nazis. Ever since they started worshipping Lolth for power, their lives all went to hell. And I don't recall gnolls having a friendly relationship with drow at all. It goes completely against their feral nature.

If you really believe that the drow aren't worth redeeming, especially Drizzt and Viconia, you are more of a monster than they are, blinded by prejudice and hate.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

MalicronCrevsDaak
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited June 2013
    They had always a tendency to be a bit darker in hearth than their cousins, even when Lolth's was still know as Araushnee and was party of the Seldarine.

About stereotypes, that's exactly what drows represent, it's the point in their existance on D&D.

Gnolls have an relationship with anyone strong enough to force that on them.

I never said that drows aren't worth redeeming, here you go making assumptions again :)! I have nothing against Drizzt, i'm reading the last book of the Hunter's Blade atm (and i read in sequence everything of drizzt before this one) and i really like the character. However i don't think it's right to state that drizzt is an hero 100% aknowledge in Faerun and that people would never have reasons or motivations (even if wrong reasons or motives) to go against him.

I'm prejudice against Drows? Yes, be pretty sure i am, because they're elfs? No. Because they're black? No. Because any deal with a drow finish normally with the other side dead? Pretty much my reasons! From my point of view, no offense meant, you just launched a politically correct speech as justify.

By the way, you quoted Nietzsche, the passage BG:EE use at least. But did you know that Nietzsche is a nihilist and nihilists doesn't follow any moral code outside their own motivations? Would Nietzsche condemn me for take the upper hand and attack first a dangeours foe instead of play the odds and approach him?

Ps: Viconia isn't worth of redemption not because she's a drow, but because her redemtion comes only inside her romance, and her romance sucks. It's very alike dating an teenager of 15 years old, with all the complex, tantrums and boastings. In fact no female romane in BG2 is good. Aerie is too frills and Jaheira, the better potential for romance, is too full of problems and arrogance to be enjoynable, an sex banter or two with her would roleplay the romance process with her to be worth it but to wrost it all, she's the only romanceable NPC without an conclusion for the flirts.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    Your poll lacks the option of "Only once and never again". :P
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaak
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    I haven't ever tried yet, primarily since most of my playthroughs have been with good-aligned characters, however I have an evil one in the works now, so I'm gonna try to kill him now.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I did it once to see if it could be done. But I wouldn't do it in an actual game because I don't like using cheese tactics. And anyway, none of my characters would be seen dead wielding a sword called 'Twinkle'.

I do however regularly use Gatekeeper to give my female paladin his armour because the animation looks so much nicer than the one for plate armour on female characters.
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    edited August 2013
    @typo_tilly

Good poll Tilly. A lot of Drizzt recently for some reason, heh. I admit I like to get his armor and give it to Viconia, since she has horrible strength. She can wear ankheg, I think, but I pretty much got used to Minsc being green, so it HAS to go to him. Lol. Minsc is the mean green machine. =P

Also, you CAN pickpocket one of the swords, but it isn't the one with the -2 AC. Still ungodly powerful for BG1, but not quite as good as the other. And you lose out on the Mithral Chain Mail.

I have the fixpack installed that changes Jaheira's alignment to Neutral Good, and usually give her the -2 AC sword since she can use scimitars as a Druid. She becomes a much better tank than Khalid, then.

But doing all that really makes me feel like crap, and I start over telling myself not to do it, that it's not fair to the game's challenge.

I hardly ever use his gear myself, I feel that if I even built a character around the gear, I wouldn't get past the mines without giving up.

@kmfdm

Heh, maybe his cat was on cooldown in the astral plane? Perhaps Guenhyvwar got wounded fighting so many gnolls, and had to go heal up? I will say I don't really like putting a voice to the character, he is NOT how I expect(ed) him to sound. Sounds kind of stuck-up to me. Douche'zzt.

~Ascerion
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271

Ascerion said:

Good poll Tilly. A lot of Drizzt recently for some reason, heh. I admit I like to get his armor and give it to Viconia, since she has horrible strength. She can wear ankheg, I think, but I pretty much got used to Minsc being green, so it HAS to go to him. Lol. Minsc is the mean green machine. =P

I know, eh? Only certain characters can get the ankheg armours and elven chain. :) Otherwise it just doesn't look right.
    And Viconia looks damn good in the mithral chain. Good enough to...uh... eat!

*drools*

~Ascerion ( <3 )
    [Deleted User]JarrakulCrevsDaak
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Of course, I usually die. If I'm really trying to roleplay my charname, who is usually good, then yes.
  • ogrebogreb Member Posts: 98
    No.
    I know how to...but I never do.
    Drizzt gets props in my book.
    Candlekeep is a library...thee library ! Of course everyone there has heard of him.
    Even Cadderly knows him personally.
    It would be like me trying to gank Elminster..never going to happen.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    if i want to kill Drizzt, there is no "try" about it
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2013
    ogreb said:

It would be like me trying to gank Elminster..never going to happen.

I'd hope not! :D
    CrevsDaak
  • kabkab Member Posts: 75
    Yes. If I encounter him, and if it makes sense for my character to do so. Which is most of the time.

The rest of the time I end up doing it eventually anyway just for the challenge.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I never kill Drizzt....

But he always accidentaly lands on my sword...
    mashedtatersUrd1enCrevsDaaklolien
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    i rarely play evil but a few of characters have come to blows with him
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Sometimes, when playing a character who I think would fight him. That generally means short-tempered and/or evil, although some evil characters just steal his swords and don't bother him further. I do almost always steal his swords, because the BG version of Drizzt is a huge jerk (as opposed to the book version who, Sue-ish tendencies aside, is actually a pretty nice guy).
    Fredjo
  • Durlag_ThunderaxeDurlag_Thunderaxe Member Posts: 71
    Can't trust em' sneaky elves... and that un's black an' all... obviously up ta no good.
  • kabkab Member Posts: 75

In general, yes, but are you going to be a victim of stereotypes? Drow weren't always like Nazis. Ever since they started worshipping Lolth for power, their lives all went to hell. And I don't recall gnolls having a friendly relationship with drow at all. It goes completely against their feral nature.

The spawn of the Lord of Murder, not but 20 years old, spending their entire life in a secluded keep with old men, spending their first weeks and months in the real world after witnessing the murder of the only father they ever knew, facing assassins around every corner.

Nothing `viable` about someone like that being paranoid, naive, ignorant or succumbing to stereotypes, especially not with a below average intelligence or wisdom. Nope. /sarc
  • BanexBanex Member Posts: 127
    Tried it once and he took out my entire quartet within seconds.
  • Urd1enUrd1en Member Posts: 84
    I always kill everything that can retaliate.
    Thus, Elminster is always my target - btw, he worth 26 000 exp, - and Volo is never.